Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Trafalgar Smoked Oatmeal Stout - Trafalgar Ales & Meads

Trafalgar Smoked Oatmeal StoutTrafalgar Smoked Oatmeal Stout

Trafalgar Ales & Meads visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: CAMRAhardliner on 09-08-2007

This classic dry stout is crafted with pale ale and carastan malts, roasted barley, and steel-cut, organic oatmeal. Trafalgar’s brewers lovingly smoked their grain over a cold-burning cherry wood fire, and the result is a mellow oatmeal flavour with subtle smokiness. Try Smoked Oatmeal Stout with grilled steak or smoked oysters.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.9/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Dark brown to black with a ruby tinge. Porter like in that its slightly transparent. Half a finger of beige head.

S: Chocolate milk, pete moss, slight toasted smoky note. Chocolate, black olives, licorice all are subtle compared to the chocolate notes. Also some cherry.

T: Chocolate, toasted note, really a stout as any smoke is subtle and normal for a stout, its not smoky as I was expecting from the name. Getting a little more wood smoke as I aerate it over my tongue like in a wine tasting. Slight cherry, wood bark.

M: Medium thick body, medium low carbonation.

O: As I really aerate it, I’m lovin it. Too bad the smoke flavours aren’t more apparent. Still its a great stout. (693 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Trafalgar Ales & Meads ("Trafalgar") is located at 1156 Speers Road in Oakville, Ontario, and was founded by Mike and Nancy Arnold and George Hengstman in August 1993. Part of the brewery is the Tied House Pub which features Trafalgar's beers and meads, and foods prepared using its brewery products as ingredients.

For our first foray into Trafalgar's beers, we decided to sample their Smoked Oatmeal Stout ("SOS"). We picked up a 650 ml bottle from the LCBO, with an indicated 'best before date' of March 2012. SOS was 5.0% alcohol by volume.

As you'd expect from a stout, SOS poured a black colour, which showed some very faint ruby highlights when backlit. An aggressive pour produced a thin beige coloured head which dissipated quickly, leaving no spotting or lacing down the glass. The aroma was mainly of roasted malts, with a bit of smoke and subtle oatmeal becoming detectable as the beer warmed. Its taste very much followed the aroma, with the roasted malts up front, followed by the smoke and oatmeal, and ending with a smoky/bitter aftertaste. The aftertaste wasn't so strong or long lasting as to be unpleasant, though. The oatmeal and low level of carbonation combined to produce a smooth mouth feel, and SOS was medium bodied. All in all, a respectable beer from the folks at Trafalgar that I would drink again, though the smoky and oatmeal aspects could stand to be strengthened and at $4.95 per bottle this beer isn't cheap. (1,446 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +32.5%

I’m a bit surprised by the poor ratings here. I rather enjoyed this. It’s a dark brown stout, though it doesn’t have much of a head. Smells slightly smokey and with a lot of sweet chocolate. Taste is roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate. The smoked portion is a tad weak, I’ll admit, but I still found this to be a rather enjoyable stout. (346 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +13.5%

650ml bottle purchased as a single from the LCBO booth at the Toronto Royal Winter Fair.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" tan head over the clear dark brown brew. Head is down to an even layer of bubbles pretty quick, with good lacing. Aroma is sweet and chocolatey, no note of advertised smoke.

Taste pretty much follows the nose, sweet dark malts to start, powdered chocolate in the middle, lightly bitter close. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, and drinkability is okay. This one is middle of the road for me, but it annoys that I note no smoke anywhere. (572 characters)

3.04/5  rDev +5.2%

still in the fridge from a winter trade with andrenaline, a few months past the best before date
A - dark but clear, a short head dissipated very quickly to a few random spots
S - caramel, coffee, and smoky aromas with hints of grains
T - cold pressed coffee and peaty smoked malts dominate, a bit much on the sweet quality, with a grassy hop background, its a little all over the place
M - more like a porter feel in that its relatively thin and well carbonated, not a bad feel but not what you'd for an oatmeal stout
O - its got potential and elements of the flavours are there, but its just to disconnected from the style it claims to be, not a great oatmeal stout or smoked beer, but not bad (695 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +8.3%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a black/brown colour with an average size fizzy beige coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the darkness of the beer and there is some fairly good lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Chocolate, malts, smoke, musty

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and I can taste chocolate mixed with malts and a roasted/smoke taste. Unfortunately there is also a bit of an odd musty flavour.. not much, but it's there. It ends with a chocolate and roasted bitter aftertaste.

Overall – I generally try to stay away from this brewer, but this actually wasn't too bad of a beer. Other than the odd musty taste it was fairly decent and drinkable. I wouldn't buy it again, but it wasn't a drain pour as expected. (832 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured a 1/2 finger head upon a deep brown near black body, not a lot of lace, watery

Smell is malt, with dark fruit and dark bread

Taste follows the nose with some coffee and grassy hops, not much oatmeal for the style, some nuttiness

A little watery for the style this is light bodied with plenty of carbonation, still smooth and a wee bit bitter

Overall, not a bad offering from a notoriously disappointing brewery (421 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +20.4%

A: dark, black, little bit of foamy head with minimal lacing.

S: starchy and smoky, cereals, very nice.

T: toasty, like browned grains. Unfortunately...

M: ... it's too fizzy. The carbonation really gets in the way of the taste. I want to let the rest of it go flat before I drink any more, so I can taste it.

O: I'll drink it again but there are other stouts and porters that I prefer. This could be really good aside from that distracting fizz. (451 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: It has a nice black colour to it. Heavy pour into the glass and still no head? hmm... No sign of lacing either.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of dark malts and chocolate.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a dark malt taste with a bit of chocolate and some smokey flavor but very mild. Slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: It has a low carbonation with a thin and watery feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas. Another let down by Trafalgar. (510 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottle from the LCBO, 650ml into a pint glass. Best before February 2012. So I bit again, with another $5 on a Trafalgar beer - felt like I needed to, with the hype behind this one.

Pours a dark brown, with a bit of burgundy in the light. A large, tan and soapy head, leaves some lace and and mild retention. Nose is fairly mild, some oats, burnt wafer/cracker notes, A bit of butter or maybe some butterscotch. Taste has some roasted oats, a bit of chocolate but there's no smoke to be found here. More buttery notes in the malts, and almost resembles an English stout more than anything. No real aftertaste, just a bit more malt and residual roast. Fairly low carbonation, and somewhat hefty body. Certainly not horrible. This could pass as an English stout I'd think, but still remains average all around. Give me more smoke! (829 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +29.1%

Deep brown, ruby highlight show through, 1.5 fingers of tan head, some lace left. Smell is fairly smokey, lightly roasted, lots of smoked malt present, light coffee scents come and go. Taste has some roast and chocolate, lots of smoked malt, light coffee in the finish with more smoke, fairly dry. Light carbonation, thin feel, lightly creamy, would have liked to see more body though. This is probably their best beer ever, no infection, no sourness, this was pretty enjoyable considering I expected little to nothing from this, I might even buy another one of these. (568 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber picked up at the LCBO; best before January 2012. I think this is the fourth Trafalgar beer I've reviewed; I have not yet been impressed with any of their brews but on the flip side of that coin, none of them have been truly awful either.

Pours a completely pitch-black colour - even holding this up to the light I'm struggling to make out any highlighted colours. I was purposefully aggressive while pouring this, but it still struggled to generate much more than a half-finger of bubbly tan head that soon died off. A foamy cap and collar remain, with respectable quantities of lacing. A pleasing malty aroma emanates from the glass, with definite hints of roasted oats, baker's chocolate, and creamy espresso. A bit of smoky character on the nose.

I'm not about to start raving about this stuff, but it definitely has a leg up on some of the other things I've tried from this brewer. Mostly malt character as one would expect - roasted oats, hazelnuts with bittersweet chocolate and smokiness; the latter two linger for a bit after swallowing. Some spent coffee grind notes provide a bit of bitterness. It does have that weird Trafalgar yeast taste that I am not a huge fan of, but the other flavours make up for it. Medium-light bodied, a bit too watery with low-ish carbonation level. Not a lot of stickiness on the palate.

I'm a bit stunned - Trafalgar has made a reasonably good beer. I may even get this again, although the price makes this proposition a bit iffy! The body is a bit light, but overall this is pretty yummy stuff. Keep in mind this is the first smoked beer I have ever had, let alone reviewed - but I found it enjoyable. Worth a try, in my opinion.

Update 11/27/2011: there was a 341 mL bottle of this in the OCB winter sampler so I figured I'd comment on it again. Not quite as good as I remember; less smoke and a weaker flavour in general. Still, none of the QA issues usually associated with this brewery are apparent. Much, much more heavily carbonated than I remember which is not advantageous here. The 'B' I gave this last time was probably a bit generous but it's still quaffable enough. (2,131 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Took a risk with this one given their history, but that's no reason to dismiss them altogether.

A - Pours nearly pitch black with a touch of ruby notes around the edge, finger of mocha head which quickly dissipates and leaves some sporadic lacing around the rim.

S - A tad musty, but the chocolate and earthy oats come through. Some wooden oak notes are detectable but very mild.

T - Again, a tad disappointing on the smoked notes, offering up little in the realm of smoke or peat, but the cocoa and espresso notes are tasty. A touch of leather and smoke does linger on the finish.

M - Thin, too thin for my liking and in need of a carbonation lift.

O - A tasty ale, but nothing overly memorable. I wouldn't turn one down and I'm glad I picked it up, but for the style it's lacking the boldness. I certainly would prefer this over a mass produced ale, but it needs a bit of refining. (888 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -8%

Pours with nothing but a collar of head. The beer is pretty much black, can see a bit of red when held up to sunlight.

Strong fruit tones in the aroma. Lots of malt here, really not that much else at all. Dissapointing.

Fairly smooth, but watery and not at all "thick" mouthfeel. I find the taste bitter up front with strong chocolate tones, maybe espresso as well. Gets sour towards the end and has a certain "saltiness" that I've found in other OCB beers, particularly the Elora Grand Lager from this same brewery.

The sourness dissipates a bit as it warms and the beer gains a bit of bitterness. Never really gets "good" though, regardless of temperature and I never manage to find the smoke in this smoke beer.

Cherry Ale is the best thing I've had from Trafalgar Ales and Meads, Elora Grand Lager the worst. Smoked Oatmeal Stout is in the middle. As a beer lover, I can drink one bottle here and there, but sure as hell wouldn't serve it to my friends. (962 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -14.5%

A - Pours black but not opaque with no head.

S - Chocolate, roastiness. Very mild.

T - Chocolate. Mustiness. Harsh sourness in the aftertaste. Some coffee.

M - Medium carbonation. Thin. Watery.

D - Noooo thanks. This brewery still hasn't impressed me. (255 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +16.3%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle. Not sure if I got the best bottle produced, but I thought it was much better than the reviews indicated.

The beer pours a brown color with a tan head. The aroma is dark fruit, smoke and roasted malt. The flavor is roasted and chocolate malt with a nice touch of smoke. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Not a great beer, but it is not too bad. (398 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -7.3%

650ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a very dark brown with a very thin tan head. Head was gone in no time and not much lacing is produced.

S - Very mild toasted grain and burnt food aroma.

T - Mild toasted grain flavour, with a mild hop bite and a hint of smoke in the finish. One of the mildest tasting stouts I've ever had. Not much in terms of smoke in this one either.

M - Light carbonation, mild tanginess and watery.

D - Bland for a smoke beer. Average for a stout. (490 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -34.6%

Pours a deep brown with off-white head and a small bit of lacing. Smells a little bit sour, but mostly very faint. Flavour is incredibly light, almost nothing resembling either a smoked stout or an oatmeal stout. I don't know why I bothered buying another Trafalgar product. I'm tried of drinking this after a few sips. (319 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -41.2%

Good stout appearance, but that's about the end of it.

Really sour, pukey sort of smell. The malts and hops are overwhelmed by a very sour presence. For a smoked beer, there is no smokiness whatsoever.

The taste is the same -very sour. I really can't get much more out of this. Really not that good.

This could be better - but the flavour and scent just stop this from being anything better. (394 characters)

100 cl sample, LCBO tasting- Pours a thick and fizzy beige head. BOdy is cola brown. Roasty, slightly nutty aroma, some smokey undertones, some burnt sugars. It's all very mild, but this is the first beer from these guys that hasn't smelled like a fruity yeast infection. FLavour profile is mild roasty malts, some coffee, a touch of molasses a pinch of hops biterness. Not nearly as thick as other oatmeals I have had, and it's not as smoked as I expected, but come to think of it, I was expecting this to be horrid, and it wasn't. (532 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

appearance - looked like a glass of coke. small head, carbination and pepsi black

smell - overpowering smokey

taste - sour, light and of course smokey. doesn't remind me of a stout, more like a sour brown ale with some uh, smoke juice

drinkability - well, you can drink it. possibly more drinkable on tap I suspect (317 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -63.3%

I bought this one last summer on a trip to Canada. The name and style intrigued me, so I bought one.

This beer was my first drain pour ever - it was just completely awful. Heavy smoke smell, no carbonation and a really awful 'off' taste. Yuck. Something went really wrong with a good idea. (290 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -43.3%

The potential of an oatmeal stout intrigued me, but I was worried as soon as I poured the beer. There was no noticeable carbonation or head after the pour and the bouquet from the glass was unappealing.

The beer disappointed even further upon tasting. There is simply no positive description of this taste. The smoke flavour overwhelms all other tastes, leaving the impression of eating a stale cigarette as opposed to drinking a beer. (436 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -13.1%

Decided to try this, simply because it had "stout" on the label.

I was immediately concerned by it's appearance. No head at all. None. No carbonation that I could see. It looked like coca-cola in my glass. Has a nice dark colour though.

The smell, unsurprisingly, is smoky. I might smell a bit of coffee in there too, but mostly smoke.

The taste is simply more smoke with an alcohol backing.
It feels like water in my mouth, nothing interesting at all, and much lighter than what I was expecting...I'm wondering at this point if I bought a bad bottle?

My current feelings toward this beer are that it should be avoided, but I may give it another chance, lest this bottle was somehow spoiled. (699 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours a very dark ruby, quite similar to Guinness. Short creamy head, but it's gone after the first sip. No lacings at all.

Surprisingly smokey. Fortunately no sour twang, which you often get from this brewer.

Very smokey. I wish I could say more about the taste, but that's really all I get. In your face, charcoal, smoke. You get a glimpse of the malt right up front, quite soft with a tinge of sweetness. Bitterness there, but it's part of the smokey flavour as opposed to a mouth coating bitterness.

This really wasn't a bad beer, I could down this instead of a Guinness. All the taste of a Rauchbier, but much more drinkable. (634 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast