Kölsch - Brauerei Päffgen

KölschKölsch

Brauerei Päffgen visit their website
Germany

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-03-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

tom10101, Oct 23, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -42.5%

PaF, Oct 09, 2014

IRONRakkasan, Sep 05, 2014

Bieristlecker, Sep 03, 2014
2.63/5  rDev -32.7%

Tap at Max Stark in Cologne. Clear golden pour, big fluffy white head. Aroma of straw, light hops, and a bit dirty as is always the case for me with the style. Flavor is as expected: straw, light sweetness like honey, tinge of hop notes, and a lingering dirty finish. Light bodied and medium carbonation, goes down easy of course. Let’s all just be real here and admit that pretty much any Kolsch just tastes like any standard Miller Lite/Bud Light with a little extra sweetness. Can’t get into this beer. Glad to have gone for it in Cologne, just not very good.

BMMillsy, Aug 30, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +26.1%

UdoH, Aug 16, 2014

digita7693, Apr 03, 2014

vermilcj, Feb 03, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

200 ml. draft @ Bierhaus en d’r Salzgass. Clear golden with a creamy white head. Nose smells pretty sweet with grains, sweet malts & touch of corn, seems a touch off. Taste is pretty sweet, light honey and sweet corn, white bread, sweet herbs & lightly metallic. Light & easy to drink. Looking at the scores, I expected this one to be head and shoulders above all the other Kölsch’s which oddly didn’t turn out to be the case, I actually preferred Pfaffen over this one plus couple of others. It is not bad or anything but I looked this one up on RB whilst deciding which places to hit in Cologne. This beer itself didn’t fulfil for me the promise made by seeing the praise, odd, maybe its me. It is probably me :)

77black_ships, Dec 10, 2013

Paccamacca, Aug 21, 2013

Sturmthis, Aug 15, 2013

exposur3, Jul 08, 2013

herrburgess, May 28, 2013

Hands-down this is my most favorite beer in the world. Every time I'm in Germany I make it a point to make my way to Koln and stop off at Paffen Obergarige and have quite of few of these and a Habben Hen.

This is a perfect Kolsch. Perfect balance of malt and hops and conditioning. This is the blue print for all Kolsch.

chrisgalvin, Apr 01, 2013

Beerman1977, Jan 24, 2013

rale, Jan 09, 2013

KimenTshom, Jun 26, 2012

PaBeerLover, Nov 30, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Appearance is golden color with medium head

S: Aroma is heavy with bread and sweet malts with some floral hops hints

T: Sweet malts with bread and grain notes, decent grassy and floral hop flavor with corresponding bitterness.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation

O: Best Kolsch out there.

kjc51478, May 18, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -2%

at the brewpub in koln. Served in a typical 0.2 ml glass. Clear straw yellow color with a thick fluffy white head which was quite stable. Smell is like most kolsch beers, only this one seemed to have some more flowery hops in it. Taste is light bitter. Not too special. Mouthfeel is thin but this beer is extremely easy to drink. Pairs best with traditional german food

rvdoorn, Feb 12, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

On-tap at the brewpub in Cologne. From notes, 1.29.11.

Clear and shiny light gold with a nice, frothy head. Sheets of lacing left on my .2L glass.

Aroma has a bit more flowery noble hops than most Kölsch, but is still pretty faint. Clean.

The flavor is soft, light and ever so slightly tangy from the light hopping. A touch of buttered biscuit, though not as much as Pfaffen. In the end, there is not much to say about this stuff other than it's very clean and lacks the occasionally off flavors of the mass-produced versions of the style. Mouthfeel is very soft.

I drank two or three glasses of this and then moved on. It's incredibly drinkable and immaculate, but pretty boring.

dasenebler, Feb 02, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured into a 20cL stange glass in the brewpub.

A: Thick frothy head with unexpected retention for a kölsch. Like a clear piece of amber; a strong colour uncharacteristic of the style.

S: Smells fruity and sweet, almost like a shandy/radler.

T: Faintly disappointing. A pretty substantial body is betrayed by a thin and watery flavour. Some sweet flavour is to be found at the end of the taste and pleasantly rounds out the taste. Bigger sips improve the beer. Aftertaste is fairly neutral, edging towards bitter.

M: A full body feel is deceptive. Thin and lightly carbonated. Pleasant enough I guess, but not that good.

D: I know kölsch are supposed to be light and easily quaffable, but by my second glass, I was bored and done. Confirms my opinion that kölsch should only be drunk with food.

AgentMunky, Jun 19, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -28.9%

I had a 0.2 liter glass of this at the brewpub, while hopping from place to place in Cologne to try as many Kolsches as possible. Based on this unique somewhat side-by-side tasting, I hoped to develop a ranking of which ones are best.

Paffgen looked proper, pale golden color and clear, with a few fingers of white foam. But everything else about Paffgen disappointed me. Looking at the previous reviews it seems I'm in the minority on this one.

The aroma and flavor were muted but bitter. I love the presence of hops in most beers, but here it presented only with bitterness, no positive contributions to the taste. I was glad to finish my glass and move on, this was last place among the 7 Kolsches I tried that night.

Paffgen is my least favorite Kolsch, at least based on this visit. I understand that there might be some variation from batch to batch, so who knows, maybe I'll like it better if I try it again. But all in all I prefer others of the style, including those that are distributed to the USA (Sunner, Reissdorf, Gaffel).

TurdFurgison, Apr 25, 2010