2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kölsch - Brauerei Päffgen

KölschKölsch

Brauerei Päffgen visit their website

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-03-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 27 | Reviews: 15 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by foles:
foles

Australia

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

This was my second favourite Kolsch in Koln, drunk at the brewery. It has a nice head, served in a nice little 0.2cl Paffgen Kolsch glass.

It is particularly hoppy, more overwhelmingly so as some of the others around town. Its major flavour is spice with a touch of fruitiness. This light fruitiness is almost drowned by hops, as is the intention I think. Its starts to get really good after 2-3 glasses and the taste is anchored in your mouth!

I can tell its a good Kolsch and I enjoyed it, but I am still not fully convinced by the style.

01-16-2008 13:48:21 | More by foles
digita7693

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

04-03-2014 10:32:14 | More by digita7693
vermilcj

02-03-2014 09:40:30 | More by vermilcj
77black_ships

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

200 ml. draft @ Bierhaus en d’r Salzgass. Clear golden with a creamy white head. Nose smells pretty sweet with grains, sweet malts & touch of corn, seems a touch off. Taste is pretty sweet, light honey and sweet corn, white bread, sweet herbs & lightly metallic. Light & easy to drink. Looking at the scores, I expected this one to be head and shoulders above all the other Kölsch’s which oddly didn’t turn out to be the case, I actually preferred Pfaffen over this one plus couple of others. It is not bad or anything but I looked this one up on RB whilst deciding which places to hit in Cologne. This beer itself didn’t fulfil for me the promise made by seeing the praise, odd, maybe its me. It is probably me :)

12-10-2013 18:03:36 | More by 77black_ships

herrburgess

South Carolina

05-27-2013 23:50:33 | More by herrburgess
chrisgalvin

Hands-down this is my most favorite beer in the world. Every time I'm in Germany I make it a point to make my way to Koln and stop off at Paffen Obergarige and have quite of few of these and a Habben Hen.

This is a perfect Kolsch. Perfect balance of malt and hops and conditioning. This is the blue print for all Kolsch.

04-01-2013 05:07:31 | More by chrisgalvin

PaBeerLover

11-30-2011 14:30:17 | More by PaBeerLover
kjc51478

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Appearance is golden color with medium head

S: Aroma is heavy with bread and sweet malts with some floral hops hints

T: Sweet malts with bread and grain notes, decent grassy and floral hop flavor with corresponding bitterness.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation

O: Best Kolsch out there.

05-18-2011 01:13:32 | More by kjc51478
rvdoorn

Netherlands

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

at the brewpub in koln. Served in a typical 0.2 ml glass. Clear straw yellow color with a thick fluffy white head which was quite stable. Smell is like most kolsch beers, only this one seemed to have some more flowery hops in it. Taste is light bitter. Not too special. Mouthfeel is thin but this beer is extremely easy to drink. Pairs best with traditional german food

02-12-2011 15:53:34 | More by rvdoorn
dasenebler

Maine

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

On-tap at the brewpub in Cologne. From notes, 1.29.11.

Clear and shiny light gold with a nice, frothy head. Sheets of lacing left on my .2L glass.

Aroma has a bit more flowery noble hops than most Kölsch, but is still pretty faint. Clean.

The flavor is soft, light and ever so slightly tangy from the light hopping. A touch of buttered biscuit, though not as much as Pfaffen. In the end, there is not much to say about this stuff other than it's very clean and lacks the occasionally off flavors of the mass-produced versions of the style. Mouthfeel is very soft.

I drank two or three glasses of this and then moved on. It's incredibly drinkable and immaculate, but pretty boring.

02-02-2011 10:19:58 | More by dasenebler
AgentMunky

3.15/5  rDev -22%

Poured into a 20cL stange glass in the brewpub.

A: Thick frothy head with unexpected retention for a kölsch. Like a clear piece of amber; a strong colour uncharacteristic of the style.

S: Smells fruity and sweet, almost like a shandy/radler.

T: Faintly disappointing. A pretty substantial body is betrayed by a thin and watery flavour. Some sweet flavour is to be found at the end of the taste and pleasantly rounds out the taste. Bigger sips improve the beer. Aftertaste is fairly neutral, edging towards bitter.

M: A full body feel is deceptive. Thin and lightly carbonated. Pleasant enough I guess, but not that good.

D: I know kölsch are supposed to be light and easily quaffable, but by my second glass, I was bored and done. Confirms my opinion that kölsch should only be drunk with food.

06-19-2010 04:14:24 | More by AgentMunky
TurdFurgison

2.78/5  rDev -31.2%

I had a 0.2 liter glass of this at the brewpub, while hopping from place to place in Cologne to try as many Kolsches as possible. Based on this unique somewhat side-by-side tasting, I hoped to develop a ranking of which ones are best.

Paffgen looked proper, pale golden color and clear, with a few fingers of white foam. But everything else about Paffgen disappointed me. Looking at the previous reviews it seems I'm in the minority on this one.

The aroma and flavor were muted but bitter. I love the presence of hops in most beers, but here it presented only with bitterness, no positive contributions to the taste. I was glad to finish my glass and move on, this was last place among the 7 Kolsches I tried that night.

Paffgen is my least favorite Kolsch, at least based on this visit. I understand that there might be some variation from batch to batch, so who knows, maybe I'll like it better if I try it again. But all in all I prefer others of the style, including those that are distributed to the USA (Sunner, Reissdorf, Gaffel).

04-25-2010 11:47:40 | More by TurdFurgison
DaveJanssen

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Had on tap at Pafgen in Koln in .2 L glasses. WHile I was there there i saw multile casks put on. A difference was noticed between cask 1 and 2. Reviewed 7/4/2009.

Ar: Cask 1: Crisp and light cracker, noble hop character, spicy, biscuit, rich light malt, sweet hints, Cask 2: herbal

Ap: Cask 1: clear gold, very smooth creamy white head, fine, great retention, thick lace

F: Cask 1: noble spice, smooth, light, good crisp bitter end, strong hop presence but smooth, Cask 2: sweet malt, hints of honey, crisp clean end, hints of mintiness, slightly balanced to hops, dry, light cracker/pale malt, light tartness

M: Cask 1: refreshing, light and drinkable, low carbonaiton, smooth clean bitterness, Cask 2: creamy

F: Complex, much more hoppy than other german beers, clean and refreshing, excellent, difference cask to cask (a cask lasted about 45 minutes) Cask 1 was drier than Cask 2

01-31-2010 03:57:58 | More by DaveJanssen
stcules

Italy

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Gravity from oak barrels @ Päffgen, Köln.
Intense golden apperance, very bright and clean. White foam, two fingers.
Fresh smell, with hints of green hop. Dry, pleasant and fresh.
Light in taste, with light malt, and a good hop and bitterness.
Dry, fresh, pleasant.
A great drinkability.
It left the mouth very clean, with some hop in the background.
It says: let's drink another one!

01-25-2010 21:33:38 | More by stcules
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

0.2l gravity serving at the brewpub En D'r Salzgass

A- Darker gold than most kolsch, creamy 2 finger head with a creamy sustained retention

S- Vanilla, mild malts.

T- Faint malts with a lovely creamy finish.

M- Very creamy, low carbonation.

D- Excellent, with a lovely malty flavour with the creamy balance makes this a quaffing kolsch.

02-26-2008 17:20:26 | More by seanyfo
JBogan

Nevada

2.85/5  rDev -29.5%

Had this on tap at the Päffgen pub in Cologne. A bright gold color with a strong white head which left minimal lacing.

Smell was a bit weak, somewhat grainy with a bit of malt present.

Tasted slightly better, some grassy accents with a bit of malt. Not much alcohol present.

Mouthfeel was a bit watery and flat.

Maybe this just isn't my type of beer. I wasn't very impressed, but it still was better than another Kolsch I had tried about 30 minutes earlier. All in all, I won't be in a hurry to have this one again.

01-22-2008 19:17:21 | More by JBogan
therica

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

As noted below, this kolsch is a favorite among local Cologne-residents. We were taken to dinner by a group of them (a business dinner with an affluent client, I might add), and this is where they chose to take us. It was their location in Alte-Koln (the old part of town next to the river), not the hofbrauhaus. The decor of the brauhaus is quite entertaining-- lots of statues and bronze figures hanging about, a tribute painted on the wall to "the god of beer" and other interesting things to view, while waiting for your first kolsch. Don't worry, it's brought within moments.

We were fortunate enough to be there the evening before the traditional 11/11 Cologne Beer Festival, and the server proudly announced that at Päffgen Obergärige Hausbrauerei, they start the night before! So, we were entertained by the ritual procession through the bierhall, complete with a "modern" German band playing traditional German drinking-songs and US-rock songs on keyboards and guitars. Everyone seemed to be participating, and the house was full.

The food was outstanding, I must say! It was a bit on the pricey side, I'm glad I wasn't paying... I had a kebob triple-combination, and we talked so much that I was holding everyone up at the end, having done more than barely sampling my dinner meats. I drooled.... but I gave in, and asked the server if I could take it along. He spoke little English but replied, "doggy-bag?" and nodded. He returned several times, the main host at our table paid the bill and we were out the door before I realized that he'd never brought the leftovers as promised! Grrrr....

A few nights later, we went to the Paffgen HofbrauHaus, which is a good walk west of the main part of Cologne. Not even quite realizing that the two locations were even connected by the same beer, we remarked that the kolsch was similar to "the place we ate the other night, with the clients." The HofbrauHaus is loads of fun, as well-- a bit earthy and moderately rowdy, the clientelle more mainstream than upper-class, and the food again was great. It wasn't until later, when trying to sort out all of the kolsch's we'd tried, and where we had eaten, that our confusion (added to by the similar-named Pfaffen which is owned by a brother) came to light!

Oh-- the BEER?!?!? Yes... Overall, a good experience at both locations. It's not on the top of my list (see Sünner Kölsch). The taste was a bit dry but nice, and went well with the German meal, quickly clearing any fatty-food feeling from my mouth. The head seemed nice but it also dissipated faster than several other kölsch in the area. I probably had 4 glasses (hint- put the coaster over top of the glass or they'll just keep bringing a new one without asking) the first visit, and our hosts also had various wines flowing from bottles throughout the meal, with no conflict with the kölsch, in my experience . I did have a bit of a headache at the base of my skull that night, soon after dinner, however, but I'm not sure whether to blame the kölsch or the wine. The second visit, to the HofbrauHaus, ended with 7 marks on my coaster, plus finishing my wife's (which was our 8th coaster-mark). Obviously, it was very drinkable kolsch, in my experiences!

This is one kölsch that I want to try again, just to see if I've missed anything by not paying close enough attention. At present, however, my response was similar to my beer-sampling but not beer-advocate wife's-- "it's just beer."

12-07-2005 10:57:26 | More by therica