KLB Raspberry Wheat Beer - Amsterdam Brewing Company

Amsterdam Brewing Company visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: ThatWineGuy on 09-06-2007

The perfect balance of German Perle hops, wheat malt, and raspberry infusion gives KLB Raspberry Wheat its signature aroma and unforgettable flavour. Light amber in colour with a frothy white head, this smooth, full-bodied beer is distinguishable by a fresh raspberry bouquet that's slightly tart to the taste and sure to please on any occasion.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 69 | Reviews: 29
Reviews by Stonepot:
3.9/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I thought this was great. Strong smell and taste of raspberries, with a creamy head and a nice long fruity finish. I got a bit tired of it towards the end, and would not have two on the bounce, but one was a great way to start an afternoon drinking session.

3.02/5  rDev -7.4%

I used to drink this beer a long time ago when it was brewed by KLB, and enjoyed it a great deal - it tastes a lot different to me now, but I think it more has to do with my changing tastes than anything.

Poured into a nonic. A pale, pale amber brew, clear, and with an inch of head that beats a hasty retreat. No head, no lacing...nothin'. Looks more like a cider, or a rose wine than a beer.

Nose is raspberry jam, lemon, mild maltage.

Tart, with a mild malty-lemon flavor, and then the raspberry kicks in, which isn't bad, but certainly lacks the fine character of fresh raspberries that you can find in other variations of this sort of brew. A touch of mild caramel and wheat as well, but only faint. Finishes dry and with a sharp, unpleasant metallic tang. Drinkable, but not nearly as fun as I remember it.

Watery, carbonation is abrasive. Leaves a dry feeling on the tongue.

I'll still drink this, but I won't seek it out the way I used to. Still, on a hot summers day, this would go great right out of the can (last summer, it certainly did), so I'll probably save my next one till then.

2.38/5  rDev -27%

I would have expected this to be much paler in colour than the copper-orange I see before. The fingers worth of off-white head beats a hasty retreat, and leaves no lace behind. It's like it was never there to begin with. The aroma is mostly of raspberry. Somehow, the raspberry scent manages to be faint while also having a syrupy, concentrated character at the same time. It tastes of raspberry, and a little bit buttery. The raspberry flavour leaves a medicinal aftertaste in my mouth, though not quite as bad as the ST Raspberry Wheat. There's a hint of cheap caramel as well. Light-bodied with medium-low carbonation. I think a little more spritz would lift this one up a bit. Light as it may be, it's actually a bit of chore.

4.03/5  rDev +23.6%

Purchased at the LCBO for just around that $2.50 mark for a 473ml can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a tiny head that is gone in seconds. Rather Dark gold. Almost has a redness to it. Filtered clear

S- Oodles of raspberry. This thing just oozes raspberries.

T- Raspberries but in a controlled way. Yes it overpowers the beer but that is what they designed in the taste. Very refreshing

M- Crisp and tart. Nice and dry. No sliminess at all like other raspberry beer's I've had.

O- Rather refreshing raspberry beer. Very interesting and has a lot of pop. Will buy again

Food Pairing

This pretty good little beer went well with...... Lamb burgers. Nice little bit of cranberry sauce to get that sourness going then some lettuce, pickle and onion.

Enjoy

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to drewsy for the trade!

A- Pours a very clear coppery color, with a tinge of sunrise orange, and there appears to be plenty of carbonation rising to the top rather quickly. The head isn't very impressive however upon pouring, as it is only a whiff of thin foam covering the liquid. Lacing is alright, as thin clumps of bubbly goodness clings to the side of the glass. Overall I'd put this slightly above average appearance wise.

S- This has a general dryness about it, and I don't mind it in this case! There is a fresh raspberry fruitiness that smells about right as far as how powerful it is, some grainy wheat berries and perhaps a slight bitterness right at the end. Mild overall, but nice...

T- I quite like this! The flavors follow the aroma closely; everything is mild but balanced well between sweet and tart. The beginning contains the tart berry fruit, while the middle softens to the dry wheat malt and the finish doesn't have any real bitterness, but rather a yeasty quality that reminds me of fresh white bread.

M- Thin bodied and plenty of palate scrubbing carbonation! I get a good sense of the summer in this beer...it is very refreshing, crisp and clean tasting.

O- I think this is a very drinkable beer that would be perfectly suited for sitting on the patio during hot weather and passing the afternoon away. Foodwise, this would pair very well with a freshly prepared spinach salad, and is balanced well enough to hang with a fruit bowl for dessert. I recommend this beer and would love to see it in my neck of the woods!

3.91/5  rDev +19.9%

Pleasantly surprised by the great taste. Not a fan of fruity beer but this was done right. The raspberry is not overwhelming . Color is very nice and there is no aftertaste. This is a beer worth serious consideration. Lacks body but the aroma and taste make up for the lack of body. I'll bee looking for more of this next trip to Canada.

2.7/5  rDev -17.2%

Can to pint glass.

A - Pale straw yellow with a small amount of bubbly white head that immediately disappeared.

S - Syrupy raspberry aroma up front with a mild of bready malt aroma in the background.

T - A huge artificial raspberry flavour up front that is very sweet and syrupy dominates and almost completely overpowers a very mild bready malt presence.

M - Light body; light to moderate carbonation.

O - One dimensional, which wouldn't have been quite so bad if the raspberry flavour was so syrupy and artificial.

3.39/5  rDev +4%

473 mL can, chilled and poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance- Pours a clear pale amber colour with a massive three fingers of soapy white head that very quickly dissipates to a little bubbly top with a very thin ring that leaves very minimal to almost no head throughout the glass till finish.

Smell- Really nice raspberry smells coming from this one, I didn’t get a whole lot of the raspberry while I was pouring it but once you put your nose up to the glass it is definitely there; some very mild wheat aromas coming through as well although the raspberry is very dominant.

Taste- Pretty much just like the aromas, well in a way. I am getting a weird taste right off the bat that I really can’t put my finger on, then the raspberry taste really comes through a dominates finishing with a sweet raspberry taste as well. I do get a mild hint of wheat but other than the raspberries there is not too much else going on in this one.

Mouthfeel- Very light bodied with below average carbonation, actually it is almost none existent as the beer warms up a bit, kind of saddening really.

Overall- Hey, if fruity beers are your thing, and you’re in the mood for a raspberry tasting beer this one is pretty much exactly what it says it is, a raspberry beer! I rather liked the raspberry taste from this one, it tasted like real fruit and not some engineered candy taste like other fruit beers can have. Would be a good summer sipper if cold as ice on a hot summer day, which is why I even bought a fruit beer in the first place. Not sure if I would come back to this one again but it wasn’t a fail that’s for sure, depends what fruit I feel like I want to drink if I ever want to drink one again.

2.56/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

473ml Can

Appearance – Clear amber colour with an very small size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is no lacing. The head lasted for around 1 minute before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, bread, malts, raspberries

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains mixed with malts and of course raspberries. There is also a little bit of a caramel flavour going on. It finishes with a malty raspberry aftertaste.

Overall – I'm really not a huge fan of fruit beers, so there wasn't much chance that was going to enjoy this. I will say that the taste did grow on me as progressed through the beer. I'll also add that the beer had one of the worst appearances I've ever seen.. there was basically no head or lacing.

3.8/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a really nice honey brown with about a two and a half finger fluffy white head that gradually reduces to a ring. Rasberry is the prominent smell with a mild malty wheat-like backbone. Very inviting. Taste is almost identical to the smell with a faint hop finish. Mouthfeel is very smooth and this beer is definately quaffable. I was worried upon drinking this beer that the rasberry was going to be too concentrated, but I think KLB has balanced this one out really nicely. The only thing that stopped me from giving this brew a solid 4 was the finish, which was fairly astringent and didnt do much to compliment the taste. But, overall, a great brew; one that I would love to try on tap.

2.97/5  rDev -8.9%

[Updated July 13 2013]

Tallboy can picked up at the LCBO, one of four beers in their Entertainer sampler pack. I tried this once a few years ago, and was left feeling a little underwhelmed, so we'll see if my opinions have changed.

Pours a lovely amber-orange colour, with a bright, clear complexion. It manages to generate about one finger's worth of smooth, creamy, off-white head that dissipates over the next few minutes, leaving behind a thin cap and some modest lacing. A great improvement over the last time I tried this, when it looked absolutely flat and tepid. Mild, enjoyable aroma, with tart raspberry notes in the forefront, and subtle wheat malt sweetness underneath. Straightforward, but easy to like.

The taste is very similar in its simplicity - bready wheat malts, maybe a touch of honey at the start of the sip, which leads into some slightly sour raspberry flavor. Not much else to say - bready malts and raspberries, with a slight syrupy/medicinal feel to the latter. It does manage to finish somewhat dry, with some weakly lingering raspberry tartness. Light-bodied, and kind of watery. This one could stand to be a bit more heavily carbonated, but I suppose it's still crisp enough to help cut through the syrupy slickness (to a certain extent, anyway).

Final Grade: 2.97, a forgettable C grade. Amsterdam's KLB Raspberry Wheat is pretty mediocre, both as a fruit beer and a pale wheat ale - I felt that way the first time I tried it, and I'm now convinced that it's an accurate assessment. It blends some characteristics of each style, but the end result is a bland and mostly unsatisfying brew that isn't sure what it should be. Sorry, but the syrupy mouthfeel basically ruins what would otherwise be a serviceable fruit beer. The only thing this fruit beer really has going for it is its wide distribution - there are plenty of other raspberry-flavoured ales I'd recommend well before this.

3.02/5  rDev -7.4%

500mL bottle with no freshness date poured into pint glass.

Pours a clear orange with some ruby tones. Head is small, white and fizzy, and disappears rapidly.

Lots of tart raspberry on the nose, some mild floral hops, and a bit of lightly roasted wheat.

Taste is sweet and tart raspberry, mild honey and toasted bread, with a bare floral hop finish.

Mouthfeel is light and a bit watery feeling, with a bit of a bite from the carbonation. Starts sweet and ends fairly dry.

It's a pretty drinkable beer, but a bit too thin and bland to really enjoy. Another decent summer quaffer.

Appearance: golden-amber with a bit of red. Really pretty. Fine creamy head that never quite goes away.

Smell: wheaty with a faint bit of raspberry.

Taste: ... same. Wheat and yeast, a bit of a sour note that is not at all unpleasant. The raspberry is so faint that it's easier to smell than taste.

Mouthfeel: a little fizzy on the tongue, a lingering sour slippery feeling. Sounds awful but I can't figure out another way to describe that. It's just really nice.

Overall: familiarity results in taking things for granted. Why haven't I reviewed this yet? It's my go-to summer beer. The first time I tried it I was disappointed, because I had been drinking lambics previously and wasn't impressed with the North American style of fruit beer (basically a wheat beer that may or may not have had a Strawberry Shortcake doll bathing in it for about thirty seconds). But I got to know it and I like the style for itself (rather than comparing it to lambics), and this is the best representative.

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a rusty toasted amber colour with a small, fleeting head that hangs around as a thin collar. Lots of visible fine carbonation.

Smells of raspberry flavour, roasted malt and honey. Always smells mild, but fresh.

Tastes of toasted wheat, raspberry flavour that doesn't taste too unnatural and has an earthiness about it. Also has a brewed tea tone in the finish.

Light-bodied with a medium carbonation, gives a sort of creamy feel. Very dry and tart aftertaste.

An easy-drinking beer with a decent raspberry flavour that I always seem to enjoy.

3.11/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

473 ml can poured into a pint glass from LCBO for $2.80 CDN. From notes about a month ago.

Appearance - Clear Golden Color with significant reddish pinkish hues. 1 finger of head, receding quickly. Some lacing.

Smell - Sweet aromatic raspberries complete dominate. Trying to find anything else, but its not there. Just raspberries.

Taste - Some raspberries some bitterness, maybe even a few hops thrown in. Tastes nothing remotely similar to the nose.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, lower carbonation, slightly bitter and sour aftertaste from the raspberries.

O- Definitely a raspberry beer, but because of the the focus on raspberry, the beer part is left in the dust. Still a decent brew, but unlikely to be repeated again by me.

This is a great chick beer. Pretty good on the patio in the summertime. Easy drinking wheat with a scent of raspberry.

2.78/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

tap at the brewery

Pours a clear gold with a white lacing.

Aroma is of medicinal raspberry and strawberry.

Flavor is of bitter medicinal mixed berries and some light wheat malt.

Medium body with tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A somewhat offputting fruit beer. The berries approach cough syrup flavors. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't choose to have it again.

2.53/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

500 ml can from the LCBO.

Pours a crystal clear orange/amber, big fizzy slightly off white head forms, quickly settles down to a thin ring around the glass, no real lacing sticks, looks alright. Smell is interesting, some raspberry although syrupy and fake, light toast, fruity sweetness, almost a wet dog aroma, corn syrup and some honey, lightly floral, okay. Taste is not good, very dry, some wheat, yeasty, fake raspberry, metallic, bready, light fruitiness in the finish, but astringent. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low to medium carbonation, not very drinkable. Nothing is really right with this one.

3.68/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a nice amber with a reddish tinge to it. Lots of carbonation, thin white head, leaves a bit of lacing.

Smells of raspberries, some grain and hoppy grassiness.

Tastes of raspberries, apples, some grassy hops, pretty sweet but not bad. I like raspberries, so I don't mind this beer.

Thin mouthfeel, very refreshing drinkable beer on a hot day!

A bit of background: Amsterdam Brewing in Toronto purchased the Peterborough-based Kawartha Lakes Brewing Co. in 2003 and is continuing to produce four beers under the KLB label ... I confirmed this today on the Amsterdam website. On this bottle, nothing even suggested that this is currently an Amsterdam Brewing product.

This selection poured a clear, light golden color with orange highlights and no haze. There is no appearance of a wheat beer at all. Very little head quickly disappeared. Slow and lazy carbonation. The aroma of fruit predominates - fresh raspberry / strawberry. The taste of raspberry is front and centre with no real wheat presence, this is clearly and singularly a fruit beer and I have to wonder why wheat even appears on the label.

A crisp tartness is held in check so the overall impression is refreshingly light, fruity but not sweet in the least. A bit thin, not a whole lot of body here. After sampling two Belgians prior to this tasting, I felt like a kid with a Kool Aid ... served very cold on a hot, summer day, this will go over well, but there's not enough overall depth to make it a serious beer offering.

3.32/5  rDev +1.8%

A simple beer that I would happily serve on any summer day to any non-hophead. Light and refreshing, may well be a good introductory beer for anyone just starting into the world of flavour.

Can pours like a golden, clear lager with a blush of pinky purple. The white head dissipates quickly. Aroma is raspberry-forward with a background of bready malts. Flavour likewise is very raspberry-focused, but not as overwhelmingly sweet as I'd feared. The wheat is well hidden, but golden malted barley is definitely present.

Not my own personal beverage choice, but miles ahead of any BudLL or CoorsLIT...

2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

The surprise of having my raspberry wheat pour a sizzling caramel colour has left my brow somewhat furrowed. It's a lovely toasty tone and is complimented by a gentle haze, but it's not what I was expecting. I would be regarding it with favor if it weren't so tabular; even a thin lining of rosy-pink head would be acceptable but it's depressed without even a single strand or moderately inflated bubble to enliven it.

Ya, the beer smells a little like raspberries but so what? Anything can smell like anything with the use of artificial flavouring. If you're a brewer and you decide you're not going to make the beer smell deliciously sweet and over-the-top fruity (as you'd find in a cooler, for instance) then at least make sure you add something else to the aroma, something that maybe smells like, oh I don't know... beer!?

All I smell and all I taste beyond the raspberry extract is cheap caramel; it's a painfully simple and amateur-quality beer that underlines the fruit. It offers bland and unconvincing notes of buttery butterscotch. I get no hop flavour. As for the wheat, I can't detect any of that either. There's nothing remotely crisp, grainy, estery or effervescent about this - in other words, nothing to distinguish it as a wheat beer.

If I had to of guessed, I would have likely said the attempt here was to brew an English Bitter. It is a light (medium-light, at best) body with pitifully low carbonation. The maltiness is low with a very dry, sort of cardboard texture. It offers only the taste of cheap caramel and as for the raspberry extract, the artificial fruitiness is really no more pronounced than the subtle naturally occurring one that most ale yeasts will produce.

Regardless of how much you like raspberries, if you're not the type who drinks bland, painfully average beers then chances are you'll struggle to find anything worthwhile about this offering. For many this could serve as passable patio beer, it may be quenching for a dry palate on a hot, summer day. But even in that circumstance it'd be likely that the name turned out more refreshing to hear than the beer actually was to drink.

2.92/5  rDev -10.4%

Looks decent, smells very fragrant. Tastes, not so good; very tinny. Almost like the iron taste of blood. Some people i can think of might enjoy that. Not me. The fruit part of this does not blend well with the malt and hops. Too bad because the smell was very promising.

3.17/5  rDev -2.8%

The fact this beer seems to have once been brewed by a different company, threw me off a bit for this review.

Appearance: Porued with a finger of head that sadly did not lace or sustain. The body is a clear bronze with red highlight, that has some solid carbonation.

Smell: Unsurprising fermented raspberry smell that is decently strong all to a slight malt background. Good but not very complex and could be a bit stronger.

Taste: Very simple, starts with a mild malt with a hint of raspberry that builds and then intertwines with well balanced fruity and floral hops. A slight metallic tinge and the end, and the raspberry flavor seems a bit off as well.

Mouthfeel: Leaves the mouth surprisingly dry, but it does transition well. The carbonation isn't bad but doesn't really seem to help out the beer too much. The metallic and plastic aftertaste has to go, as it overpowers a slight raspberry and wheat undertone.

Drinkability: Well it went down quick enough, as it is refreshing, light and easy to get down. No stomach or gas issues, but the aftertaste and cloying sweetness would stop me from going to town on it.

Final Thoughts: A bit better then average I suppose, but I highly suspect artificial flavoring instead of real raspberries. It is alright I suppose, but I wouldn't buy a six of it. Maybe I'd buy another can of it in the summer.

3.41/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Orange/light copper colour. Pours a nice white head that drops to a thin layer and than laces the glace a bit.

S: This is all raspberry flavour. Smells a bit like raspberry medication

T: Raspberries up front with hints of caramel malts. The wheat then comes in to clean up the taste along with the carbonation.

M: has a light feel, well carbonated to clean things up with a nice dry finish.

O: Good beer for what it is. Personally I'm not into putting fruits into the beer but this is good. They say it's a raspberry infusion...whatever that means. So for something that is all year and not seasonal (fresh berries!?!?) I give it a thumbs up.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »