Scotch Reserve - Ferme Brasserie Schoune

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-27-2003

Reviews by mzwolinski:
4.41/5  rDev n/a

I got my Gordon Highland scotch ale glass out for this treat from up North, and boy did the beer do it justice. Blood red pour at first, with a torrent of carbonation, and a massive off-white head. Pitching the yeast makes the beer go more of a cafe au lait brown, but the head remains and leaves a very nice lace down the glass.

The aroma struck me as remarkably fruity for the style -- hints of peaches, with a hint of malt sweetness undergirding it but not so much as I would expect for the style.

And then there's the flavor. Whoa! It's sour! I mean, it's no Duchesse, but it kinda took my palate by surprise! The yeast calms thing down a bit -- I recommend trying the beer with and without to see what suits you best (I prefer with). Malt flavor comes out with a bit of a woody character. The souness remains, along with a lot of fruit flavors -- apple, raisin, and some acidic grape. A very complex palate without losing marks for drinkability. I'd hesitate to call this a Scotch, myself. It strikes me as more of an oud bruin, or perhaps a dark saison along the lines of Pizza Port's SPF 8.

Whatever it is, I like it quite a bit. I understand, unfortunately, that it was a limited edition. Alas. Thanks so much to Rastacouere for the bottle!

3.5/5  rDev n/a

Poured a murky amber brew with lots of sediment and nice huge white head with good retention. More carbonated then expected. Taste is very caramely. Not as good as the Mcauslan Vintage Ale nut closer in terms of taste and color. I don't think this is very scotch-like and maybe more similar to a barley wine, though not the best one I would have drank. Overall enjoyable but a a bit expensive ($3.99 for 341ml).

Scotch Reserve from Ferme Brasserie Schoune
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.