Paradisiac Black And Tan - Ferme Brasserie Schoune

pDev: n/a
Ferme Brasserie Schoune visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Black & Tan |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 09-11-2008)
3.08/5  rDev n/a

Not being able to find a website (at least in English) for Ferme Brasserie Schoune, I'm not sure what pale and dark beers were blended in Paradisiac Black and Tan. What I can say is that it smells like a mixture of Guinness and apple cider: strong chocolate malts mixed with sour ciders, all floating on a caramel and toasted grain bed.

On the tongue, much the same comes across, though the sour, apple cider notes are much more noticeable. Here the beer even more resembles a cider, with just a hint of roasted malts crying out for attention somewhere way in the background. Had I not known I was drinking a Black and Tan, then, I would have assumed this was a hard cider made with dark sugars and a hint of molasses. The aftertaste is light, with a stronger hint of toasted grains, and fades fairly quickly. The brew is also quite carbonated--medium to medium-strong--and has a light mouthfeel, so comes across a bit like fizzy water.

Overall, while I do find the beer appealing and interesting, it falls far short of what I was expecting from a Black and Tan, especially given the excellent Paradisiac beers I've tried.

3.48/5  rDev n/a

A surprising find at the Atwater Market in Montreal...

This beer pours a deep dark brown hue, with light tan edges, and a finger or so of soapy beige head, which leaves nary a trace of lace as it quickly recedes. It smells very farm-like - oiled leather, musty barn hay, with a sour, fruity roasted maltiness under it all. The taste is much more mild that the smell suggests - a bit of roasted caramel malt, some sour fruit/yeast components that seem very Belgian in style, and no noticeable hoppiness. The carbonation is moderate, the body light and kind of watery, and it finishes dry and clean, a little mustiness lingering.

I didn't really know what to expect, but this is an interesting, if ultimately light and inoffensive offering.

3.7/5  rDev n/a

This is my first bottled black & tan, so huge thanks to Zorprime for helping me try another style!

The whole concept of a bottled black & tan seems strange to me, partly because it doesn't replicate the famed two-layer appearance without which the drink would have probably faded into obscurity, if drank at all. Bottled black and tans are simply blended beers, usually a pale ale (or in some cases a lager) with a stout or porter. There's a lot of promise in blending - mix a great hoppy IPA with a stout and I think you'd be on to a winner. In fact, I've had a number of excellent 'black' IPAs, combining the juicy hoppiness of big west-coast IPAs with the roasted coffee tones of a solid stout. You're average black & tan, however, usually isn't so adventurous. I had a number in university (and some in Ireland), and mixing a mediocre dry stout like Guinness with some shitty British beer like Carling is not a happy marriage. In this case, two wrongs definitely don't make a right. Thankfully Schoune have eschewed this path and chosen some king of pale ale as the base, with interesting results.

There's no way this beer can achieve the layered look as I pour it into my glass (though I think this could be an excellent subject for a chemistry PHD, and the resulting gimmick would probably be a sure-fire money earner, though it probably wouldn't adhere to the reinheitsgebot. Dark oak with a bubbly tan head that had pretty decent retention and even a touch of lace. While all is normal up to here, the aroma is so unusual for the style that I have to double-check the bottle. There's more funk going on here than in a 1970s disco. Its like orval mixed with porter - lots of horseblanket, cider and leather notes, but with a medium roast always lurking in the background. The flavour also has me edging toward the thought that they used a Belgian pale ale at the tan; either that or there's something weird going on at Schoune. Lots of funk (which I like), again the horseblanket notes, and a very strong westcountry scrumpy body. All this is complimented by a slightly sour coffee background. The body and carbonation are both medium-light, which I imagine actually follows the style guidelines.

This is one strange duck, and had some things going on that I would never expect in a black & tan. I think I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I would if it had followed the style more closely. I feel like I drank some bizarro Belgian take on the style from a Quebec brewery, which is probably exactly what I did. Weird, and you know what... kinda good.

3.63/5  rDev n/a

Quite a dark brown with ruby highlights. Solidly dense foam. Nose is.. interesting. Fruit and horseblanket, lambic-light sourness. Flavour is tart and dry with earthiness and toasted and husky grain. Raisins and dark fruit, mild hops. Moderate body with a sharp carbonation. Finishes fairly clean and crisp. Kind of an oddball Belgian styled? black and tan.

2.58/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a light black color ale with a good size foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of light dry coffee is some what bland. Taste is a mix between some light dry coffee notes with some lightly roasted malt. Body is just too thin for the style with some good carbonation. No fundamental flaws but not a whole lots of character as well.

Paradisiac Black And Tan from Ferme Brasserie Schoune
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.