Pale Ale - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

14º P, 40 IBU.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat and caramel malt; Northern Brewer and Centenneal hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-08-2004)
2.93/5  rDev -22.1%

Dark amber with scarlet hihglights. Slight, creamy dirty white head. Lacing is sporadic. Nose doesn't do much for me. Artificial smelling, like a pine scented air freshner haning from the rear view mirror. Kind of a bland flavor. The label says it's hoppy, but it's really not. I can't believe Centennial was used in this. Hint: Use a little more next time. The malts are nice enough. English, toffee like backbone. Medium bodied to medium-full. Moderate carbonation. Slightly dry. Average....very average.

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

500ml bottle poured in a pint glass. Thanx Phyl21ca!

Copper, amber, orange and hazy in appearance. Thin beige head recedes to a thin ring.

Hoppy (floral & herbal) with a light malt background. Slightly sweet, slightly herbal and a touch floral.

Interesting and complex. Slightly oxidized as the last few sips really showed leather and cardboard. Malt with mineral water and hops. Hops starts to dominate after a few sips showing largely floral with some citrus and herbs. Tangy, metallic finish.

Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly acidic bite at the finish.

An interesting beer, but I think mine was a bit oxidized. Would love to try this fresh in Norway.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Pours a bright, lovely orange-copper body with full, foamy off-white head.

Smell: Delicate aroma of toasted malts, lime juice, melted butter, and even some fresh cracked pepper.

Taste: Juicy and fruity from the start, with flavors of lime and even a bit of sweet grapefruit. Toasted malts and some caramel sweetness begins to emerge, as does a peppery spiciness. Finishes dry and wooden, with a slight bitterness to it. All in all, there's alot going on here for just a pale ale!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Soft carbonation.

Drinkability: I'd say I thought the Nøgne Ø Pale Ale was great, but I'd hate for anyone to think that implies I dislike their other brews.

I'd never want to disrespect Nøgne Ø like that, friends.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

The next in the line of Nøgne Ø beers that I picked up at Green's was the Pale Ale. Similar packaging to the other beers except for a change the color of the Ø. The pale Ale poured pretty normal looking, with an pale orange amber body, and a two finger thick foamy head. The aroma was spicy and citric, which suggested that this beer was not short on hops. Tasted a little different than I was expecting, earthy bitter hops were evident, but so was a cane sugar like sweetness. The sips that I drank fast were barely sweet, but the ones I let linger on my tongue were more and more so. The aftertaste was spicy (clove like), and rather long drawn out. A lot more complex than a run of the mill APA, and a couple notches thicker as well. I would call this as existing at a halfway point between an Pale Ale and Strong Ale. Quite a ride on this Norwegian cruise line sailing to the “naked island”.

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

(Bottle conditioned, 500 ml.) ABV is now 6.0%. Hazy deep golden to amber colour, thick creamy head that leaves a nice lacing. Lovely citrussy hops aroma on a background of oak, hay, tobacco and spices. Flavour is grapefruity bitter on a well rounded malty background, hints of spices. Plenty of Cascade hops in the long aftertaste. This is very good! Amazing what the Nøgne Ø enthusiasts of small town Grimstad have achieved in almost no time in the business of brewing quality beers!

2.95/5  rDev -21.5%

Sampled May 2007
Pours with a hazy, reddish amber color and is topped by a substantial, initially three-finger thick, frothy, light tan colored head. The aroma is fairly malt focused with dusty malt notes, a touch of biscuit character and something like caramel dusted soda crackers. There is some hop aroma here, but it seems a touch off; something like cheesy citrus and a bit of dusty astringency.

Quite dry, with a definite phenolic edge to it; notes of plastic are quite prominent in the finish where they meld into an astringent, bitter finish. Malt is noticeable up front and it is quite dry with a solid bread-like / biscuit-like malt character. Pine-like hop notes are also noticeable, but they mix and become confused with the plastic phenolics.

Not at all what I was expecting, this beer was purchased freshly off the shelf and has been stored in the refridgerator since then, I hope my other beers of theirs have faired better.

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

I had this as part of a Nøgne tasting.

Wow just a wonderful nose, nice and floral every thing you could want from it. It really invites you into the beer, which has a good flavor with nice hops. Just very tasty I don't like hops for hops sake but when done right lots of hops can be good and this one is done right. I also find it very drinkable just extremely well done overall. One of Nøgne's top offerings.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a pretty good Pale. I've been pretty excited to try this beer. It's always great to see how American innovation on European style has in turn inspired European brewers.

The beer pours to a nice clear amber color. Decent carbonation. Huge fluffy head. Good retention and great lacing. Looks great.

The smell is also good. Distinctly English malts and berry esters from English yeast. The hops bouquet is well balanced between American and English. Has a nice grapefruit and pine with some more subtle spice and herb.

The taste reminds me of a good English Pale, even though the hops profile is more dominated by American hops. The English malt and yeast seems to make the distinction more so than the hops. There is a nice toasty, biscuity pale malt flavor accompanied by a huge caramel flavor. This is accentuated by a light berry ester. On the finish, the hops finally start to reveal themselves with a creeping bitterness and a citric, piney, spicy, and herbal hops flavor. Good mix.

The body is light to medium with a moderately dry finish. Carbonation is fairly gentle. Little alcohol flavor. Pretty decent lingering bitterness. I would love to try their IPA. While this one isn't bad by any means, it's not one of the most drinkable pales I've ever had. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't know if I'll want to buy it again. I know I'll probably end up revisiting the Brown Ale after a while, however, even though it's far from accurate for a brown.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Thickly opaque yellow ochre color with a slight brightness reaching the edges. Gorgeous topping of lush, thick, huge foam sits atop with stamina and presense. Sporatic lacing is throw about in a few inky strings and cob webby globs.

Low lying aroma of old fruity-like bubble gum and some pale pineyness. A little muddled and quite light; actually its like its just not there. Takes big wiffs to get it to reach any kind of real impression.

Flavors are decent though, a pretty good pale ale with a mild tone and creamy centered balance around enough pine and citrus to make the toasty pale malts come though. Flavors touch but breifly on some tangerine, orange, and lemon. Well-rounded, full finish with just a touch of pith and citric pith bitterness thats quite easy to handle as it ends fluffy and lightly chalky in dryness.

Feel is about medium with a creamy, bold application in balance. Clean, kinda brisk and snappy in the front, holds for a moment, smooths out and gathers a nice finish that has a complex dryness of toasted pretzeled bread, citric pith, pine bitterness and dryness all mixing with a easy to take bite. In a word, pale. Duh...

A pretty decent Pale. The body is what sold me on this one, as well as its solid profile towards a nice balance in flavor and tone. However, the $5.50 for the 1pt .9 fl oz bottle is perhaps a bit much to ask. But perhaps as it grows in distribution and popularity it'll come down in price and make it a bit more worth while.

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My first of what will likely become alot of the Nogne line of beers from Norway,poured into an impy pint glass a dull hazed peach with one finger of froth atop.Classic aromas of an old school American left coast pale caramel malt base staying intune with a big citrusy,piney hop profile just very inviting.The flavors dont quite match up with the nose but its tasty nonetheless an assertive firm lightly caramel sweet malt base shows itself well the fruity,piney hop doesnt give enough push in thefinish for me but its there with a real tangerine flavor showing thru.Others have said its refreshing and I would say yeah thats a good term,its lighter in body to make it refreshing and drinkable with some nice citrus fruit tinge to make you want more,pretty solid offering here,I could see it in my fridge alot this summer for sure.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Sampled the other night while watching a Phillies win with my cousin, krkearney as part of a Nogne tasting we were doing. The beer poured an orange/amber color with a slight tan head. The nose had some pleasant piney citrus notes swirling around. The taste was more of the same, nice citrus grapefruit notes with a piney hoppy bite running through. There is also a good malt backbone supporting this beer.

4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Medium honey color and pretty clear if you pour carefully and leave the yeast in the bottle. ~1" head with small bubbles and nice lace.

S - Honey with caramel notes. Very mild.

T - Crisp with a dry finish, slightly sweet and malty with a slight bitter hop aftertaste. Hint of citrus fruits. Nothing overpowering - nice balance.

M - Light and refreshing

D - Could definitely down many if they weren't $5.00 for 500 ml

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Tall, somewhat thinnish (no, not Finnish) 500 ml bottle with the back and orange label as shown on the avatar. $4.49 at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, CA. in late March 2007.

Pours a pretty orange with a moderately-sized, but nicely creamy off-white head. A bit of sediment from the bottle clouds up the beer a touch.

Aroma is the best feature here- nice citrus and spring flower aromas overlying a solid malt base. Flavor follows through, but it drops a notch, because the hops turn a little too sharp and astringent. Not as enjoyable as the aroma. But still tasty.

Seems to me to be a mix of English Pale Ale and American Pale Ale in style- not sure I could call it one or the other. Pretty tasty, and it goes down easily.

My first Norwegian beer- makes me want to try some more!

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

16.9oz bottle bought as a single from Julio's, Westboro, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a minimal 1/4" ecru head over the cloudy orangey amber brew. Head holds on admirably, preserving most of what was present to start, with ample sticky lacing. Aroma is lightly of fruity hops. Taste is moderately sweet malt upfront, followed by a tipping of the scales toward fruity hops, with a pleasingly bitter close. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is very nice. A nice brew, but possibly not enough of a standout to be selling singly in large bottles, maybe better placed in a smaller size 4-pack. Wouldn't mind revisiting though.

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy, tawny-amber in hue with some golden highlights; the liquid is bright and pleasant to look at. White foam, at the apex the head was almost two fingers tall. Active bubbles but they held together fairly well, I’d call the head retention above average. The head qualities bodes well, there might be some hops in here! Minimal subsequent lacing but there was enough to make note of it. Overall, the appearance is charming.

The nose is nice… it isn’t big and American but it is not weak either. IMO, it smells like a mix between Odell 5 Barrel Pale Ale and Burton India Empire Pale Ale. Sweet maltiness, honey, candied fruit, wild berries, leather, earth, grapefruit, oranges, and bread. Complex but not assertive… seems to be a tame Pale Ale. The alcohol is hidden. In sum, I do expect a tasty beer based on the nose and the malt profile does seem promising. Let’s see how the hops deliver. Inviting.

Hello hops! Bitterness is ideal for a Pale Ale; I love the upfront dryness. Citrus notes, grapefruit and oranges, are lovely and play nicely with the caramel, bready malts. The alcohol arrives in the middle, giving some warmth (which I like). Tangy at the end, kind of sweet and candy-like… orange fruit, honey, weed resin, and just a bit of earth. I find this to be a complex Pale Ale. It doesn’t assault the palate with hops and it doesn’t have a pussy malt profile either. Balanced but plenty bitter; it leaves me wanting more!

A tad fuller than medium in body, creamy, smooth carbonation; the mouthfeel is lovely. It fits perfectly. Long, hoppy aftertaste… wow, I love the tongue-coating hop residue!

This beer is very enjoyable and it was a treat to drink. I didn’t know what to expect of it. I was actually thinking it might be more Americanized. It wasn’t and I am grateful. I really was surprised at the craftsmanship. I can’t wait to try some other beers from this brewery. IMO, fans of Meantime IPA will dig this beer. Purchased at Beertopia in Omaha; recommended.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

So there's an American IPA, which is assertively hoppy; and there's a British IPA, which is a bit more delicate and has a different malt character; but a Norwegian IPA? I didn't know what to expect, but what I found was a treat: a beer with a lush, velvetly mouthfeel, biscuity and fruity aroma, and alcohol burn (who'd a-thunk-it?), ...a sensous beer, in short.

I think there are some imbalances in this beer that diminish its drinkability, but its excentricities make it an interesting one to try.

A wonderful find at Capone's in Norristown, PA!

Nogne O Pale Ale pours a hazy copper with a thick off white head that persists from a 16.9 ounce bottle. The aroma is citrusy, and has a bit of caramel malt too. The malt caramel flavor is stronger than I would have liked, but the hops are pretty strong too. Interesting take, I'd like to tinker with the balance a little though.

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

A very good pale that went great with fish, as advertised. Maris Otter, wheat and caramel malt; Northern Brewer and Centennial hops; English ale yeast Smooth grapefruiit aroma, good bitterness not overdone, satifying by itself. Understated IPA. Found in New Jersey.

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%

Hazy orange colour with a giant, fluffy off-white head from a hard pour. Good head retention and plenty of lacing, in fact there were long lasting rings around the glass indicating the size of my first few sips. It smelled strongly of various citrus fruits - orange, tangerine, grapefruit - with a little bit of pine, but the combination kind of gave it a dish-soap vibe. Still, this wasn't overly distracting. The same kind of hops came through in the flavour, but really needed more malt sweetness. There was also some earthiness running through the middle. Although the bitterness wasn't over the top, there just wasn't enough malt to provide a nice balance, and it left the flavour a bit thin. Short, hoppy finish with just a bit of sweetness to keep it from drying out too much. A little hop spice hung around a little longer. Medium/light bodied with moderate carbonation - not quite crisp, more like subdued. An interesting take on the style and an interesting beer overall. It has its problems, but I still kinda liked it.

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

"I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me.
She showed me her room, isn't it good, Norwegian wood?"

--The Beatles

Sunny tangerine with apricot trim and a fine particulate haze. The pale ecru cap looks great. It's immensely bubbly, has loads of character and is depositing an impressive amount of thick lace on the upper reaches of the glass. Subsequent pours murk up the beer and add even more lace. Fantastic!

The nose could be more aromatic. The white grapefruit citrusiness of the Centennial hops is duly noted, as is an earthiness that must be coming from the Northern Brewer. I would have picked something else to compliment the Centennial, but that's just me. It smells like the beer will be lightly caramel malty sweet as well.

Is this what a Norwegian American pale ale is supposed to taste like? While I wasn't bowled over by my first mouthful, I'm beginning to think more highly of this somewhat odd ale as the ounces pass. The flavor is along the lines of a lemon and orange zesty APA, but one that has been filtered through an offbeat prism.

The caramel malt sweetness (coupled with a bruised apple fruitiness) that I noted in the nose is present and accounted for. It still has a little trouble keeping up with all the hop bitterness. First contact isn't a tongue stunner, but the bitterness maintains its heading throughout the mouthful and lingers long after the swallow.

I'm still not thrilled with the fact that the Centennial have been sullied by a lesser variety of hop, but I must admit, the flavor profile is different and interesting. I think it's because there's such a spicy, herbal, woody vibe. Cedar? Balsam? Sandalwood? Why am I suddenly hearing sitars and John Lennon in my head?

It didn't enter my consciousness until I turned my attention to it, but the mouthfeel is pretty good. It's mouthfillingly creamy and has a perfect amount of carbonation. I'm going to nudge the drinkability score a half point since this beer is so interesting and is so damn fun to drink. It doesn't hurt that my hophead itch is getting scratched in a big way.

I love the elegant simplicity of this brewery's bottles and labels. I also love the fact that they've 'been inspired by the boldness of American brewing' without losing sight of their Norwegian roots. These guys bear watching. I only hope the rest of their lineup is this impressive. Skal!

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a deep beige color ale with an nice foamy head with better then average retention. Aroma of floral hops is well balance with some bitterness. Taste is mix between some floral hops and a subtle citrus bitter finish. Body is slightly above average with some decent carbonation. I thought this was a bit low in the malt profile department but apart from that it was a good APA.

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

$4.49 from Holiday Liquor in Escondido, CA. Label info: 14 degrees, 40 IBU, 6% ABV. Maris Otter, wheat and caramel malt, Northern Brewer and Centennial hops, English Ale yeast and Grimstad water.

Pours with a gorgeous judicious frothy densely packed spumescent beige cratered head cap over a hazy peach hue leaving decent spider web lacing in the glass.

Bright scents of fresh squeezed oranges with the bitter peel, lemon zest and a zip of Pez candy.

First swigs: Peppy Pez candy and spot on focus of Tangerine wedge notes. Citrus aspect is focused on Tangerine and a tad orange peel bitterness. Malt backing is nearly non-existant which leads to a near American style IPA. Refreshing and clean.

Last swigs: Thank goodness that this is a (seemingly) fresh bottle. After import from Norway, who knows what to expect. This as good as it gets as far as pale ales go. Damn near an IPA but pale ale will do. If you can find this one, go for it!

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%

Served at about 36F from 22 oz amber bottle.

Poured with thick body and big, rich light tan head, leaving good lacing. Somewhat cloudy orange color.

Aroma is hoppy, attractive, slightly yeasty and malty.

Flavor is refreshing, but with a bite of dark crystal malt. Balanced bitterness and flavor and good hop aroma.

Full and bitter mouthfeel with a touch of astringency, dry finish with a bite.

Drinks well, not as smooth as some, but enjoyable and recommended.

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

My first of five Nogne's that I'll be reviewing courtesy of Himerman. Thanks again dude, great box you sent.

A: Sort of a strawberry toffee color with some haze to it. Head is full on in charge of the situation. Appears to have a good creamy texture and a honey whipped butter color to it.

S: Cedar planks, play-doh, watery grapefruit and a hint of soap.

T: Starts off with malty red apples and cantelope. Has a brisk Liptons tea quality to it. Moves towards a bready profile with herbal tendencies. As the dough tastes fade, the hop bitterness gears up and fades into an earthy and dirty personality. Surprisingly enough, I feel like I can actually taste the alcohol, even at a respectable 5.9%. Finishes slightly metallic and quite bitter.

M: Medium body with a really fluffy carbonation.

D: This beer didn’t really work for me. I think I get irked but pale ales or IPA’s that don’t use west coast hops, they just seem boring to me. There is nothing wrong with this beer and is actually quite enjoyable, but when I get that much bitterness I like to have a hop resume that matches it.

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%

eyes...
amply carbonated, soapy white head, craggy, nice burnt orange huegood lacing roll.. a nice looking beer for the style.

nose...
carmelized smelling hops, definite sweetness to this one, a slight chemical smell is in there also, not bad.

taste etc...
light to medium body. like in the nose somehow the hops flavor/bittering tastes a bit chemical, decent bitterness and decent malt presence, the carbonation is ok as well, pretty easy drinking but the way this is bittered is bothering me.

verdict?
so far my least fave from this brewery. not bad, but not particularly good either.

Pale Ale from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S