Underlig Jul - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Sigmund on 11-03-2004

15°P, 30 IBU.

Also sold as "Peculiar Yule".

Ingredients: Maris Otter, Munich, caramel, and chocolate malt; Columbus and Cascade hops; 5 different spices, English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water
4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Dark brown, the color of molasses, with a thick cream-colored head that one would expect to leave behind buttloads of lace, but it doesn't. A nice schmear of lace lies at the bottom.

The nose has candied ginger up front with the other spices playing second fiddle, but supporting nicely. This all lies atop of base of a rum cake malt platform. There also seems to be a hint of orange.

I started to drink it cold which was a mistake. This beer is meant to be drank at 55 degrees, according to the bottle, but I'd drink it a bit warmer than that even. The spices blend better and the aroma really improves. It taste like gingerbread that's been dipped in dark, spiced rum. The spices are not as integrated as they are in the nose. Each sip seems to bring a different one to the forefront, but the ginger is constant.

As many others have written before me, this is a great cold weather beer. It's a bit on the heavy side, as a winter warmer should be...yes I know that BA has decided to classify this as an herbed/spiced beer...and although not that high on ABV, the alcohol makes as good a showing as it can.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%

.5L bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Batch number 460, brewed on 12 Oct 09 and best before 12 Oct 12. Pours a dark, muddy brown with some red hues. Cloudy pour with a frothy off-white and thick head of at least 2 fingers. Great stickage as the foam lingers on the sides of the glass. Beautiful lacing.

The smell is peculiar and unique! Smelled like a gingerbread man was hiding in the bottle when I popped the cap. There is certainly a wide spectrum of spice aromas wafting from the glass as I smell the contents. I can detect the aforementioned gingerbread, cinnamon, spruce, juniper, vanilla, peppermint, and perhaps a sugary frosting. This one you have to smell to believe. As I said, it is really something else. Can't wait to see how it translated in the taste.

The answer to that question is extremely well. Just about every scent is well represented in the taste. The gingerbread really shines through. There is also a prevailing malty sweetness coming from hints of cinnamon sugar, vanilla, cardamom and a bit of a minty, dry snap at the end perhaps from the interplay of the hops. Truly a Christmas in a bottle that manages to cover myriad traditional holiday flavors.

The mouthfeel is quite substantial. This is a smooth, thick, and rich feeling beer that rolls across the tongue and down the throat in a velvety smooth cascade.

Drinkability is interesting on this one. I thoroughly enjoyed drinking this unique specimen, but it's complexity and barrage of Christmas flavors may make this one to sip and savor one or two at a time. I don't consider that a knock against Underlig Jul, however. Seek this out and give it a try if you are a Christmas beer aficionado. As far as the spiced holiday beer category goes, I have a hard time seeing how you can make too many improvements on this.

3.74/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aromas are like a Holiday spice cake; with cinnamon, gingerbread, clove, allspice, and maybe some nutmeg. Kinda smells like a Dr. Pepper a little as well.

The taste was like biting the head off a gingerbread man. A nice bready, dark caramels with a boat ton of spices. Allspice and cloves and nutmeg. Good malty brew with long subtle bitter aftertaste from all the spicing or maybe some hops which leaves a nice dry finish. Toasty malts, chocolate and a little anise show up as the beer warms.

Overall I enjoyed this beer because of it's uniqueness and it's enjoyable on a nice cold winter day. Definitely not a beer to have more than one of or that I really ever need to have again, but I am glad I tried it.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Dark, rich color. Brownish Ruby red color. Low head. Rediculously rich packed aroma, very spicy. Cinnimon, cardomom, and clove very evident. A definite Christmas aroma. Decent lacing on glass. Big carbonation. A complex drink. Expected a heavier, huger spiciness in drink from hints in aroma, but actually extremely balanced. Some maltiness. Spiciness comes in at start, quickly followed by a well combined hop flavor, quite impressive how well the hops blend with the spice of the drink. Floral and slightly citrisy, followed by quick dry finish. Concluded with fruity hopness, nice level of dryness. Relatively light and drinkable for a Christmas beer. One of my favorite christmas beers, and well worth the price. Nogne continues to not let me down.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

For my 700th beer review, I decided to sample something from a brewery in Nogne that I rarely drink. After I do, as with "Peculiar Yule," I always ask myself why it has been so long since I sampled their wares, for the few beers from Nogne that I have had proved to be excellent. Underlig Jul is no exception.

A massive soda-like head of light tan froth tops a murky, deep dark brown body. Terrific head retention and good lacing on the trusty ol' DA mug. Wonderful smells from Underlig Jul, especially spicy--lots of coriander, ginger, clove, and cinnamon--to complement the Columbus/Cascade hop duo.

With all those ingredients at play, it is amazing that they blend so well in the flavor. The spices are particularly well integrated with roasted malt, some molasses, and the aforementioned hops. This is tremendous, really drinks like a very spicy Winter Warmer. Fantastic.

The mouthfeel is nice and balanced, but I was seeking a little more heft, to be honest. A bit more malt might help in this and, with the hint of molasses, I was hoping the texture would be a little more viscous. However, it is far from disappointing.

Terrific beer, yet another gem from Nogne. This is one that will undoubtedly remain on my fall and winter radar in the future.

2.45/5  rDev -37.3%

Appearance - a reddish amber beer. The head is hefty and a full two fingers in depth. It has a poppy, fizzy character like soda but hangs around at a half finger. No lace at first, but some stray streaks occur on the glass as we go.

Aroma - lots of spice presence. The blend resembles cola. Ginger and cloves dominate after setup. Very spicy and festive, but could use some balance to the other non-ginger ingredients.

Taste - a sharp, acrid twang outta the gate. Sort of tastes like this one has turned or is well on its way in that direction. After the acrid flavor, the ginger holds the palate mostly, I can pick up some coriander too. I hope that sharp bitterness isn't hops; if they are it ruins the beer. Just too bitter for a seasonal spice beer. Finishes unpleasantly, save a little fading spice. An occasional note of roast and/or coffee with warming. Maybe this is last year's edition, can't tell from the label.

Mouthfeel - slightly smooth, fairly sessionable body, very peppy with the bubbles.

Drinkability - I am going sip by sip, wondering if a drain pour is imminent. Perhaps I will try a bottle this winter when I am certain to get a fresher bottle...unless this is this year's bottle in which case my scores are warranted. Reading some other reviews, I see a number of others mentioning the astringent flavor, I guess that's the 'peculiar' angle? At any rate, not for me, more for you. This did get better as it went, either me and my taste buds making the most of the situation, or some of the other flavors balancing better. Despite, not one I'd seek out again.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a muddy brown color and a thick, viscous consistency. There was a big, creamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: A super-spicy aroma of cinnamon, ginger, coriander, malt, and hops. One of the most aromatic beers I've ever smelled.

T: Tasted of cinnamon, ginger, chocolate malt, a mild hoppiness, and some coriander. Not as dynamic as I would have thought, but still very tasty.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a very dry and smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: An exceptionally drinkable beer.

4.87/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance: Total darkness ensures as Nøgne Ø's Underlig Jul pours a pitch-fucking-black along with a light brown crown making the beer in question look like a charred corpse with the skull licked clean by the devastating flames -- hail!

Smell: Up-front salmiac notes, oranges sweetness and acidity, ginger sourness, cloves and a backdrop of sweet cardamom, excellent!

Taste: Intensively bitter, sour and a somewhat burnt -- corpse! -- sense to it. The bitterness lingers on intermixed with the roasted character in a wormwood-sensation adding a tar-like dimension to it.

Mouthfeel: Coarse, full as full can be, thick like a brick in a tub of lard, and rough as a brick showed into your mouth by a anabolic retard! Low in carbonation (probably due to the fact that the beer is so heavy and viscous that they are damned to implode or stay clandestine).

Drinkability: Well composed, extremely long aftertaste, overall pretty awesome -- no compromise all right!

2.51/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours a three-finger cream head that fades quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Deep brown color, ton of yeast left in bottom of bottle. Nose is spicy and piney. Flavor is spicy and medicinal with a bitter dry finish. Spices overwhelm, not for me. Pricey at $9.95 for a 500ml bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

This reminds me a great deal of my beloved Anchor Our Special Ale. Prominent flavor was darkly toasted gingerbread cookie. Sweetness was well balanced. Lacked the spruce notes often integrated in OSA, but there were some spice notes lurking in the background that I could not quite put my finger on. Overall, a pleasant winter specialty beer.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

These guys haven't let me down yet so here's hoping this is another winner...

Pours a very dark reddish brown with a very small wispy head... Very murky and dark... Fairly unremarkable...

There's a sweet malty base here that has hints of pine aspects as well as a little hint of chocolate... The smell is not that prevalent really...sort of... Bleh...

Chocolatey maltiness gives way quickly to an astringent piney flavor followed quickly by a weird aftertaste...this ones sorta weird... Rather different tasting... I wonder if this one is past date... I can't imagine the guys at Nogne meaning for this brew to taste like this...it just doesn't seem intense enough in the taste dept...

Sort of a disappointment really... I'm writing this off to an old bottle and will revisit this one if I can find it fresh...

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Pours a nice dark brown with a ton of yeasty floaters. Nice tight creamy head. Okay retention with some spotty lace.

S: Aromas of light chocolate and a cornucopia of spices.

T: Aroma was very busy, but I like the flavors a lot. Nice light chocolate malt, hints of green herbal hops. Bold clove, ginger, and other spices that I just can't quite put my finger on.

M: Medium in body, smooth nicely hopped. Real tasty.

D: Good, highly spiced, yet tasty.

3.55/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Murky dark brown with lots of floating debris. Not the prettiest color, but nice off white root beer head slow to leave to disk. Lots cling lace.

S - Christmas spices. Think turkey, pumpkin pie, maybe a lamb rub. Thyme, rosemary, that kind of thing.

T - Taste is more subdued, thankfully, on the spices. They kick in at the finish pretty well, though. Almost menthol...

M - Ok, not my style so maybe biased. The flavor is a little too overpowering for me and not necessarily balanced.

D - Not for me.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Great mahogany colour with ruby highlights. The light tan head is fluffy and holds up well.

Interesting and curious aroma with notes of berry, pine, spruce, juniper and a slightly tart note reminiscent of horehound.

Hmmm, I'm unsure what to make of this. The base is solid with nice toffee malt notes reminiscent of an Old Ale. The spicing however is unique and adds interest. Once again the evergreen wood notes come through as does the medicinal, herbal note. A touch of winter spices comes through nicely. This would make a fantastic winter warmer with some really curious notes that encourage gentle sipping and make for a nice fireside beer. Unfortunately, the medicinal note is a little off-putting for me even though I enjoy the rest of the flavours.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. A suitable mouthfeel for this beer.

This is a difficult category to judge. This beer is obviously not designed to be consumed in great quantities. In fact, the spicing seems to suggest that this "peculiar ale" is designed to confront the drinker. As such, my points here are awarded for the skilful blending of the spices which, while I don't entirely agree with some choices, is well done and does its job.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Peculiar Yule pours a dark chestnut body with a sturdy khaki hued head. Lavish sticky lacing coats the glass.

Aroma is bold. Peppermint, menthol, spruce shavings, pine, ginger, anise, and a hint of cocoa are all very evident. A very challenging bouquet.

Mouthfeel is near full bodied and coating. Medium carbonation and a bite of ginger are noted.

Taste is complex. Lots of spices going on, but ginger, clove, cinnamon, anise, and peppermint seem most apparent. Subtle caramel and cocoa make a malt presence known. Some floral hops emerge at room temperature. Pine and spruce are heavy handed throughout. Finishes with a spicy dryness.

Actually quite drinkable, in spite of the heavy spicy hand, but a bit more ginger than I care for. I doubt there is any peppermint in this one but it sure makes you think so. Interesting..

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

16.9 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours brown with a few yeast floaties noticable, along with about an inch and a half frothy tan head. Head retention and lacing are both pretty good. The aroma is strong, I immediately smell ginger along with some cinnamon, citrusy and pine hops, and coriander. For me the spices really stand out in the aroma. The taste is very similar to the aroma. Ginger is the strongest taste, and then there's some citrusy (orange and grapefruit) and pine hops, cloves, cinnamon and a little bit of chocolate. As with the aroma, I think the spicy taste overpowers the other flavors. Mouthfeel/body is medium with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's easy and enjoyable to drink. If you don't like ginger and/or spicy beers, then this beer probably isn't for you. But I do like ginger and spicy beers, so I liked this brew a lot. I'll have to pick some more up next year if it gets brewed again.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes 12-25-09

And What a Peculair Yule it has been indeed! What with all the water problems I've been having early this morning and today, Its a wonder this apartment isn't flooded! The Perfect beer for the perfect day and the perfect situation!

Eye: Color is medium to dark brown with garnet to blood red highlights. Clarity is hard to determine based on the deep brown color of this beer....I can see "hints of images" of my lamp through it. Head has great formation and nice retention. Head is frothy in texture with good retention at a tannish dirty tea bag color. I won't ask for more.

Nose: Huge on spice. Big spruce like aroma-juniper berries, though the label states that there are no juniper berries in here...interesting. Very piney, clove comes through too, not too much though just right. Cinnamon is there to support it. Some hops come through to support with hints and hits of citrus. This beer smells great, very pine tree like in a pleasant way-like an air freshener for your car but not a fake araoma like those have. Woody and sappy aroma. Very tree like, as if I just broke the bark off a pine tree and have the sticky and annoying sap all over my hands. Overall a great blend of spices, none come too forward to name and all are here. Its just a great araoma here. Very satisfying.

Tongue: Hop bitterness is right upfront with some floral character and bitterness as well. This is followed by the spices used in this beer. Spices linger on the palate in the aftertaste. Malt character is kinda roasty/toasty, no caramel flavors present. The fact that I'm talking about the malt first shows that the malt is quite simple and supportive while the spices take foreground and are showcased in this beer. Malts back them up well. Ginger and some bitterness from spice, well actually I think that its ginger that really lingers in the aftertaste and lends balance to this. The ginger, while not really bitter gives off a quality that substitutes for it and while its not bitter...the flavor of the ginger and the dryness it has lends balance....and thats fresh ginger...as in I just ate a piece before eating sushi. A very enjoyable brew.

Feel and Drinkability: Body is much lighter than I expected it to be, very easy to drink. Finish is dry. Carbonation is very low leading to the impression of a heavier body, but in all reality this body is fairly light....I might say that its inbetween medium and light. Ginger really does a good job of drying things out...almost gives it an oakish quality. Ginger is the big player here, fresh ginger, not silly dried spice...this beer has a lot of "oily fresh and crunchy" ginger. This is one that I'm definitely enjoying and its giving me inspiration to create a "ginger ale." Pick it up if you can, its worth the money.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a very nice clean/clear dark golden brown color, nice carbonation, very nice thick/creamy two-finger off-white head, with lots of thick/creamy sticky lacing to follow. The nose is very nice malty, slight chocolate/toffee, cinnamon, nutmeg. The taste is sweet, malty, with some very nice cinnamon/nutmeg, and some chocolate/toffee. Medium body. Drinkable, very tasty, never had a medioca brew from this brewery to date.

3.99/5  rDev +2%

Pours a somewhat cloudy, walnut brown with a decent amount of beige head. The aroma is intense and characteristic of Scandinavian Christmas beers: pine, pitch, cardamom, and ginger all stand out immediately.

Inspired by Gløgg, Peculiar Yule has a medium-body and a dark, complex flavor that, to a certain degree, masks the presence of the hop varieties. Pine, cocoa, and the aforementioned spices are the predominant flavors here. Different but drinkable, this malty brew also has a fairly long, rather sweet finish. A must for fans of spiced beer.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured at 50 degrees with a massive tan head over top of a deep brown (nearly opaque) body. Decent lacing.

Aroma is wild and pungeant. Heavy spruce, juniper berries, black licorice, fig.

If you liked Ginger more than Maryanne, this one's for you. Full on ginger profile, with some of the aforementioned juniper berry and licorice root. Some balancing burnt molasses for sweetness, but finishing with a pretty biting hop snap.

Relatively sharp bite on the mouthfeel, quite dry overall, with a nice carbonation level that's not overdone.

Overall drinkability is nice - terrific holiday ale to be enjoyed slowly.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

You open this up and foam comes out the top.
Pours out a very effervescent dark brown to dark red color with lots of fizz bubbles in the liquid and one finger of brown foamy suds and lots of nice lacing.
Smell is very spicy with a raisiny fig aroma. Sugar and malt are strong here as well as the corriander and pumpkin spices.
Taste is not sweet at all. Kind of a bitter dark burnt malt with allspice in the background.
Aftertaste is not sticky nor is it alcoholy at all. You are left with a fig newton kind of feel in the mouth.
Drinkability is good here but this is one strange brew. Not for everyone.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

An extremely heavy and demanding beer!

The color is compact black with a tan head that leaves some foam on the glass.

The smell is very strong of Christmas spices, like cardamom, but also some bitter orange and grapefruit and a hint of licorice.

The taste has some sweetness and much long-lasting bitterness. It is full of strong coffee, coffee beans and dark chocolate.

A beer for sipping by the fire when it's sub-zero (F) and the wind is haunting outside.

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a chocolate brown color with some noticable yeast floaties. The head is dense and creamy, settles into a solid ring. The aroma is a spice bomb. Some nice spruce and ginger that mellows with some clove spice. There seems to be a hidden milk chocolate character that mixes well with the spice. The base flavor seems to be a traditional english porter as it has some caramel/butter malt characteristics. The spice is not as heavy as it is in the aroma. Definitely some candied ginger, light sprucy juniper and cardamom. The feel is moderate to chewy, fairly soft carbonation which I expected for the style. Has a nice holiday spicy finish. A very good sprucy/spiced ale. The brew has a nice woodsy spice that I like in a holiday beer. Very enjoyable and recommended.

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

This Peculiar Yule labeling could be called Peculiar pine because of the unordinant amount of pine flavor in the beer.

The base is likely a big Brown Ale or a moderate Porter with heavy notes of nuts, toffee, caramels, toasty, bread crusts, and lesser notes of chocolate and coffee. Very malty and firm from beginning to end in true Nogne O fashion.

The heavy pine and resin-forward hops dominate the substantial malts with IPA strength and bitterness. Hops are complimented and compounded by a huge burst of nutmeg, allspice, and other Christmas spices.

The beer is well formulated and well brewed but if you think that the downfall of Chrismas Ales are the over use of spices then this will definately be too much. Enjoy!

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%

This beer is one of those that are too sophisticated for their own good. There was simply too much going on in this beer and the spices just didn't blend. The beer poured a nice dark copper color with a decent head, some retention, no lacing. The nose was ginger and hard to pin down sweet malts.

The taste was overpowered with ginger. After the first sip, it was ginger all the time. There are other interesting spices, such as coriander, cloves, cinnamon, and lots of different hops, but the ginger was just too much and didn't blend in well with whatever else the brewer was trying to concoct. I wasn't sold on this beer and I was more than happy to share my 22 ml bottle with someone else.

Underlig Jul from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S