1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

# 100 - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

# 100# 100

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

23,5° P, 80 IBU.

First brewed to celebrate the 100th batch.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat, and chocolate malt; Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

(Beer added by: bark on 03-01-2005)
View: Beers (56) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Ratings: 373 | Reviews: 248 | Show All Ratings:
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Capone's the other day.,

The beer pours an amber brown color with good retention and lacing. Alas, this was to be as good as things get. The nose is fairly malty, but a bit light. However, there is some noticeable brown sugar and a hint of citrus, but otherwise I don't get a lot to the aroma profile. The flavor profile replicates the nose, and tastged side by side with Deaue, double crooked tree and blue dot, this is almost a joke. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth, but there just isn't enough flavor to be very impressive. Also, this beer has some noticeable heat and alcohol, which detracts from the beer's drinkability just a bit.

Nothing wrong with this beer, but can't say it's anything that would make me want to try this beer again either.

04-21-2010 00:35:16 | More by johnmichaelsen
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

listed as a barleywine, I've seen it searched for a couple of times in the forums. Noticed this while wandering through Julios's in MA and thought why not I'll try it.
A - dark brown, borderline black. deep ruby glints when held up to the light. Dark creamy tan head that lasts through the entire glass.
S - dark fruits, citric hops, espresso and a good whiff of alcohol.
T - kind of a cross between an american barelywine and a robust porter. dark and malty, quite hoppy bitter and roasty.
M - full bodied, creamily carbonated, warming with a bitter lingering note.
D - an intriguing and unusual brew. One for an evening was plenty.

final notes - not quite one style or another with elements that are nice but not quite melding nicely in the playground. May round out with more age but for this review it's as experienced.

11-19-2007 16:05:59 | More by barleywinebrewer
GreenCard

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance: mahogany brown, hazy, tan fine-beaded foam, OK head retention

Aroma: luscious caramelly malt, brown sugar, woodsy hops, rum, hint of grapefruit, sour undertone, cooked meat, acetone

Flavor: huge wallop of caramel maltiness with hints of prunes, molasses, and leather; then a strong enteric bitterness sweeps in to crush the sweetness, leaving a citrus rind aftertaste in the dryish finish

Mouthfeel: FULL body, a bit syrupy actually, astringent, warming

Other comments: Definitely a winter beer. Reminds me a bit of a barleywine I brewed about four years ago, a bit too full bodied. The sediment is really loose, though. Pour carefully.

01-04-2008 18:07:18 | More by GreenCard
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

This is just hitting some stores shelves, so I am wondering about the "retired" listing. Also, the bottle states that it is a Barley Wine, not a DIPA.

Pours a dark, nearly opaque, brown. There is about two inches of tan head that fades to a sheet, but leaves good lacing.

The aroma is strong on dark fruits and alcohol. There is a bitter coffee scent in the background, also. At first I thought it smelled like an English Barley Wine, but now it's leaning more towards a hoppy porter or stout. I think it's confused.

The taste of this one only lends to my "identity crisis" theory. Dark fruits,(almost burnt) bakers chocolate, dark roasted bitter coffee, a little pine and citrus hops, and a bunch of alcohol. Burning alcohol.

Solid, creamy mouthfeel. The fact that I am not sure (and neither is the beer) exactly what it is that I am drinking and this burning alcohol both knock the drinkability down. I had hoped for more. I think I might buy another bottle and lay it down for a while to see how it changes, as it is harsh right now.

10-26-2007 18:09:12 | More by Imstillthegman
MM3

Netherlands

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Apearance: Red/brown with a little head.

Smell: The smell is a combination of hop aroma and alcohol sweetness.

Taste: The taste is a bit similar to the taste, but it is a bit sweeter and less hoppy. The aftertaste is quite bitter.

Mouthfeel: The beer has nice body that produces a smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability: The beer is easy to drink, but could have a bit more taste to my liking.

11-08-2009 19:00:44 | More by MM3
Jmamay22

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

Nøgne is a Scandinavian brewery I've recently grown a taste for despite their higher prices. I scooped up a bottle of this as soon as I saw it. Very fitting beer for a cold snowy day as was the case today. Not sure why this comes up as retired as my regular liquor store just received these recently and the bottle looks new, but lacks any dating. Either way this beer should hold up to aging so I'm not concerned.

I poured this into an over-sized wine glass, which reveals a nearly opaque dark brown with a tan head. The head eventually settles into a three hundred and sixty degree collar. No lacing, but expected given the style and alcohol content.

Smells of subtle citrus hops that fades into a caramel sweet malt bouquet. It's not in your face, but a pleasant mix and match of hops, malts, with a kick of alcohol that comes off as pleasant.

First sip is much more in your face and unpleasant in my opinion. The gentle qualities are lost in an astringent harsh use of hops. The caramel and soft sweetness is gone. Comes off as an unpleasant bitter alcohol taste. As I make my way through the glass I find I either become accustomed to the the taste or the beast has changed. Hops have become more subdued, but still seem astringent and harsh. Now I'm picking up on a hint of cocoa and a small resurgence in the sweetness that was so pleasant in the nose. Finishes dry and hot with a warming alcohol effect.

Mouthfeel is difficult to handle at first and seemed harshly carbonated, but as I make my way through the glass and eventually the 500mL. bottle I find it to be creamy and on par. Drinkability is low even given the style due to the harsh present of alcohol and astringent hop taste. This came off as surprising given what I thought was well developed in the nose.

12-06-2007 02:37:08 | More by Jmamay22
battlekow

Wisconsin

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

Very, very dark, nigh stout-ish. Quite attractive. Hydrocephalic. Smell is kinda faint, but there's (excuse me, "I detect") Fig Newtons and booze. Travis says it's got a very clean flavor, and he's right. It's a pretty dry barleywine flavor, sweet for a second, but with a very bitter lingering hop finish that I found unpleasant. The finish detracts from the drinkability for me, but I might just be worn out from the Mikkeller Jackie Brown I had earlier tonight; my tongue may be crying out for mercy. Mouthfeel is full and satisfying.

02-17-2008 07:38:35 | More by battlekow
heygeebee

Australia

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

BB 2016

Pours a massive coarse swirling two-three finger head cream head, over a deep rich dark brown body. Lovely.

Deep dark aormas. Christmas cake, figs, rasins. Oh, and an earthy hop brooding presence.

Taste is an alcolholic assault, big beer, big earthy hops. Not quite enough malt backbone to carry. Dry overall. As it warms, more raisin/sherry flavours come out.

Mouthfeel OK, moderate carbonation, heavyweight body.

Overall, a bit too dry, takes away drinakbility. One of the slowest drinks I have had in a long time... says a lot!!!

06-16-2012 11:20:08 | More by heygeebee
Parrotshake

Australia

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours darker than expected. This pretty much looks like a porter - certainly darker than any barleywine I've ever seen. Wispy head that gathers around the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing.

Smells a bit hot and boozy (sort of a botanical, gin-like smell) and has that same citric hop character I've noticed in a few of these guys' beers. It's not a bad thing as such, but with Nogne Ø beers having only recently shown up in Australia, I've had quite a few of them in a short time and that particular characteristic is prevalent in most of them - burnt orange kind of thing. Not much else to talk about, smell-wise.

Same deal in the mouth. Sweetness, bready malt, alcohol burn, those same herbal, burnt-orange hops. Other fruits floating around in there too; date (without the sweetness), overripe pineapple. Dry leaves and alcohol in the finish. I had to sit there and sip it over and over to get all the flavours, because it's overwhelmingly alcohol, citric and herbal, in that order. Bitterness feels as if it comes equally from the alcohol as it does from the hops.

Medium mouthfeel with a rough grainy texture that the carbonation smooths over nicely. Despite how boozy it tastes, no overt burn from the alcohol at all, which would make it pretty drinkable, but... I just don't dig the flavours that much. I'm wondering if a bit of age would do it some good - I suspect so, and I have some more so I guess I'll find out. At this point though, not a patch on the likes of Mikkeller Big Worse (a little underrated on this site, IMO).

05-05-2009 11:58:20 | More by Parrotshake
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

Thanks to RobotGod for this one.
Poured a deep brown with large tan head and I mean HUGE. Biggest I have seen foir a bwine, almost so big that I had to let it settle for 5 minutes or so. Nose was nice chocolate malts, English malts and well hopped. Taste was rather light bodied for a bwine. While it was tasty it did lack the malt and hops profiles of the typical American Bwine.The ABV was more than the taste to me. Mouthfeel was good. Some age would do this well.

07-24-2008 04:50:46 | More by barleywinefiend
thecheapies

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

Big fluffy head in the pour, hazy almost black brown body with maple brown hues. Some decent lacing.

Rich toffee nose with dates, dusty cocoa, and dark fruits, not unlike a quad. Grassy/earthy hops are there. And, so is the booze.

Roasted grain, burnt sugars, light roast coffee, citric hop, musty qualities, and a slight tinny tang. Semi-sweet with some caramel apple.

Mouthfeel is weak and watery. So thin for the style. The carbonation is also somewhat disappointing, although it looked great in the glass.

I can say that it's not terrible, but the hops don't really stand out. Terrible mouthfeel makes it suffer. I could pass this one up.

02-07-2012 23:33:11 | More by thecheapies
ktrillionaire

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

A - Pours nearly black, though upon further examination it is actually translucent brown. The tan head lasts a bit before receding to an encircling wisp, leaving lace rings upon the glass.

S - The nose has sweet malty naked grain notes tempered by lime citrus aromas, but overall it is generally hop forward.

T - English malt, US hops? That sounds about right... It could really use a healthy dose of caramel and/or toffee, as the hop-forward doesn't work as well on the palate without a sturdy malt base.

M - The feel is just a bit bigger than medium, and has a rather lively feel for a Barleywine

D - Easy drinking, but nothing spectacular.

06-29-2011 23:20:32 | More by ktrillionaire
BirdFlu

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

This was really odd and not at all what I was expecting as it is considered a barleywine (an American, at that..). The color is dark brown like a doppelbock or such. Very odd. Aroma is somehwat bitter but mostly is dominated by deep, dark malt (chocolate mostly). This carries Into the flavor - very unbalanced with strong malt presence and some dry bitterness. The chocolate malt doesn't mix well with what other flavors are present. Mouth is standard and probably the best part of the drink - moderate body with a good level of carbonation. All around I just can't get over the flavor. I don't think this bottle is spoiled or such, but it's just way too much malt for a barleywine.

10-27-2009 17:37:48 | More by BirdFlu
charlesw

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Whoa. That's a dark/opaque barleywine! Big dark head of tiny bubbles that really lasts a long time. Smells thick and rich and sweet... OK, well, that and grassy/bitter hops. But the taste... That was unexpected! Like... Like it's some kind of cross between an RIS and an I2PA, I guess. It's weird. Hopped like a 'merican b'wine - or an I2PA. On the bitter side, then. Only less body than you would expect and a definite chocolate twinge to the flavor. I must admit that I've never had that in a b'wine before! And the more I drink of it, the more I get the chocolate flavor - like I really am drinking the cross I mentioned earlier. Interesting in its own right, but not as a barleywine!

Eidt: taken down several notches, in review. For one... I tried some warm. Wow, was that ever nasty! For another... I had another beer then came back to this one. It's so not a barleywine that I'm pissed at the brewer for calling it one. Dang it! We want malts and hops! But those malts... We're not looking for chocolate, darn it all! If we wanted chocolate or a beer this dark we'd drink an RIS!

01-26-2008 21:54:59 | More by charlesw
jlandis

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

Murky brown with huge tan head.

I'm not sure of the age on this bottle, but I don't get many hops just a tart green apple and chocolaty malt with a bit of pungent fruit.

Hop bitterness right up front with a huge blast of roasted chocolaty malt. I'm sure this is some age on this one, because the hop flavors are very subtle and earthy. Rich grainy bread flavors with fantastic fruity yeast character.

Solid carbonation and a rich oily mouthfeel.

There is something about the flavor that I just don't like. I'm not sure, but I'm only getting subtle hop flavors and mostly grassy bitterness. There is some malt holding it togther, but I was expecting a bit more.

11-29-2010 20:22:32 | More by jlandis
ChadQuest

The color has a deer reddish tinge to the typical brown body a barleywine normally exibits. the head is a tight off white color.
The aroma hides any heat under layers of dark fruits and figs, and heated dark chocolate.
The flavors here are the ones you'd find at a fondue restaurant that only used dry dark chocolate to dip the fruits in, and that had a mediterranean flair to their fruit selection in addition to citrus. Dark fruits are really the center of a melded rich depth of flavors, so if that's your game then come play this one, in some ways i think this is what a really hoppy trappist quad could end up as.

A solid barleywine, average, not amazing or dissapointing.

06-21-2011 07:20:12 | More by ChadQuest
maximum12

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

My first venture into this brewery & I'm underwhelmed, even though I am a big fan of barleywines.

The most impressive piece of this was the massive foaming even with a gentle pour, but I can't drink with my eyes. Smell is much less subtle than most barleywines; some other style that I just can't place.

Taste is acceptable. Again, not the smoothness nor the silky sweetness I like in a bareleywine, still untamed, boozy, with a taste & smell like raw roughage. Not bad, but not good, either.

Pretty average; maybe the roughness is in the youth of the beer, perhaps it'll smooth out & improve with age. More than likely I'll never find out.

01-09-2009 23:30:34 | More by maximum12
jujubeast6000

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%

Reviewed 12/12/2008 (bottle):

Pours a very dark brown colored body, with a huge foamy creamy tan colored head, extremely lasting, with okay lacing. Has a dark fruity aroma, hoppy, sickly sweet smelling. Some strong raisin nose. Smokey taste. Light body. Dark coffee taste. Tasty.

01-23-2009 03:55:27 | More by jujubeast6000
Patrick999

2.7/5  rDev -33%

It's been a little while since I reviewed a beer. #100 for my 450th review.

I chose the big balloon snifter for this one. Wow, does this look appetizing. First of all, this is a really dark barleywine; it has a dark cherry wood color. Awesome foam with great retention and swirl-ability. Outstanding.

Some light smokiness in the aroma along with raisin and bright hops.

Hmmm. After a promising start, I just cannot say that I am crazy about the flavor here. Where to begin....it seems very lacking up front, without much malty sweetness, just a little straight-up bitter chocolate, quickly transitioning into what I can only describe as a dull bitter hop character. Very bitter, and not in a very interesting way, I'm afraid. It's hoppy as hell, sure. Yet while b-wines like Bigfoot, Old Guardian, Old Ruffian and the like are all hoppy as hell, they back it up with something, imbue it with some nice malt character to play off the hops. This doesn't have that. I have no doubt that there's plenty of malt in here...but it's just not working for me, it's not creating any meaningful balance. Sorry. I really didn't expect to rate this so poorly.

Feel is fine. Hell, feel is excellent. Good creaminess, very good soft carbonation. I only wish I was enjoying the taste more.

For me, this beer pretty much excels in all areas except actual taste. Damn. I was expecting an easy overall score of 4.0+. I have no reason at all to believe this is a bad bottle, either. It just comes off to me as bitter hop for the sake of bitter hop....I can find more interesting hop/malt interplay in west coast DIPAs, even. It doesn't seem well thought-out, which I find surprising given that I've absolutely loved every Nogne O beer I've tried.

02-01-2010 23:03:58 | More by Patrick999
Beaver13

Colorado

2.55/5  rDev -36.7%

500 ml bottle. Pours a brown cola color with a creamy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet sugary caramel malts and dark fruits with some spicy (slightly piney) hops and alcohol in the background.

The flavor is sweet and watery cola and some fruitiness with a harsh salty and tar-like bitterness at the finish. The alcohol is pretty harsh. The mouthfeel is medium to full and kind of watery.

Overall, too much harsh alcohol and bitterness for me. I don't get any grapefruit or pine from the hops which is disappointing. It reminds me some of Flying Dog's barley wine which I really didn't care for either.

10-09-2007 06:09:28 | More by Beaver13
GRG1313

2.5/5  rDev -38%

My first reaction was that I got a bad or turned bottle. As it warmed a bit I got lots of flavors and character and I just decided that it's not to my particular liking.

Pours a deep brown with a thick pillowy and firm head; lovely to look at.

Nose is a light fruity-coffee character. Light hint of carmel-not real barley wine like. Mouthfeel is creamy and bold.

Flavors, also, are not real barley wine like. They are bold and assertive-they just don't "go together." Flavors start with a hint of sweet coffee and fudgy chocolate and then goes to citrus quickly and then hits you with an unpleasant very bitter pine resin. Sort of tastes like a limed coffee with a resin finish.

I have a feeling some may call this beer complex. I believe that it has a few flavor profiles that just don't marry well.

There is also an overwhelming cinnamon flavor and character. So, not really liking cinnamon I suspect that, too, may influence me. Interesting to try; not to drink.

08-28-2009 05:38:33 | More by GRG1313
Alieniloquium

2.05/5  rDev -49.1%

500 mL bottle poured into a CBS snifter, which I thought would surely contain it. It didn't.

Appearance - Overflows instantly as I pour it. Huge khaki head that screams some sort of problem. Murky body with excellent lacing, I suppose.

Smell - Sour apples and hops. Nothing very barleywine-ish. It does take a couple of sniffs to confirm that it's infected. Hefty hop notes, even over the apples.

Taste - Tangy at first, then hoppy and even a touch of caramel. I must say it doesn't taste awful, but it isn't worth the liver damage.

Mouthfeel - Still pretty thick and mouth-coating. The bitterness is out of balance because of a lack of sugar and an unpleasant twang in the flavor, but it still isn't undrinkable.

Overall - A bad bottle, I'm sure, but it's the only one of these I've ever had, so this is how I'll review it. A drainpour, but it isn't the worst infected bottle I've sipped.

02-25-2012 01:51:36 | More by Alieniloquium
Relik

Nova Scotia (Canada)

1.93/5  rDev -52.1%

Split a 500 ml bottle Nov.30th

A: looked pretty good Nice Brownish Deep Amber colour, Tan'Offwhite head

S: Subtle, faint notes of caramel and chocolate trying to make their presence known

T: Oxidized full on Cardboard bomb. Lingered over powered even the booze.

M: Slightly thinner than i hoped and the faint carbonation didnt help.

O: Not what i was expecting i checked the bottle best before stamp it had two numbers on it 2 years apart should of been in the clear. might need another look if a new shipment comes in

12-07-2013 08:49:24 | More by Relik