# 100 - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

23,5° P, 80 IBU.

First brewed to celebrate the 100th batch.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat, and chocolate malt; Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

(Beer added by: bark on 03-01-2005)

crosenkrantz, Jul 02, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

A - Pours nearly black, though upon further examination it is actually translucent brown. The tan head lasts a bit before receding to an encircling wisp, leaving lace rings upon the glass.

S - The nose has sweet malty naked grain notes tempered by lime citrus aromas, but overall it is generally hop forward.

T - English malt, US hops? That sounds about right... It could really use a healthy dose of caramel and/or toffee, as the hop-forward doesn't work as well on the palate without a sturdy malt base.

M - The feel is just a bit bigger than medium, and has a rather lively feel for a Barleywine

D - Easy drinking, but nothing spectacular.

ktrillionaire, Jun 30, 2011

Zachtheporter, Feb 09, 2013

Fargrow, May 12, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

Thanks to RobotGod for this one.
Poured a deep brown with large tan head and I mean HUGE. Biggest I have seen foir a bwine, almost so big that I had to let it settle for 5 minutes or so. Nose was nice chocolate malts, English malts and well hopped. Taste was rather light bodied for a bwine. While it was tasty it did lack the malt and hops profiles of the typical American Bwine.The ABV was more than the taste to me. Mouthfeel was good. Some age would do this well.

barleywinefiend, Jul 24, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

Big fluffy head in the pour, hazy almost black brown body with maple brown hues. Some decent lacing.

Rich toffee nose with dates, dusty cocoa, and dark fruits, not unlike a quad. Grassy/earthy hops are there. And, so is the booze.

Roasted grain, burnt sugars, light roast coffee, citric hop, musty qualities, and a slight tinny tang. Semi-sweet with some caramel apple.

Mouthfeel is weak and watery. So thin for the style. The carbonation is also somewhat disappointing, although it looked great in the glass.

I can say that it's not terrible, but the hops don't really stand out. Terrible mouthfeel makes it suffer. I could pass this one up.

thecheapies, Feb 07, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours darker than expected. This pretty much looks like a porter - certainly darker than any barleywine I've ever seen. Wispy head that gathers around the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing.

Smells a bit hot and boozy (sort of a botanical, gin-like smell) and has that same citric hop character I've noticed in a few of these guys' beers. It's not a bad thing as such, but with Nogne Ø beers having only recently shown up in Australia, I've had quite a few of them in a short time and that particular characteristic is prevalent in most of them - burnt orange kind of thing. Not much else to talk about, smell-wise.

Same deal in the mouth. Sweetness, bready malt, alcohol burn, those same herbal, burnt-orange hops. Other fruits floating around in there too; date (without the sweetness), overripe pineapple. Dry leaves and alcohol in the finish. I had to sit there and sip it over and over to get all the flavours, because it's overwhelmingly alcohol, citric and herbal, in that order. Bitterness feels as if it comes equally from the alcohol as it does from the hops.

Medium mouthfeel with a rough grainy texture that the carbonation smooths over nicely. Despite how boozy it tastes, no overt burn from the alcohol at all, which would make it pretty drinkable, but... I just don't dig the flavours that much. I'm wondering if a bit of age would do it some good - I suspect so, and I have some more so I guess I'll find out. At this point though, not a patch on the likes of Mikkeller Big Worse (a little underrated on this site, IMO).

Parrotshake, May 05, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -16.7%

BB 2016

Pours a massive coarse swirling two-three finger head cream head, over a deep rich dark brown body. Lovely.

Deep dark aormas. Christmas cake, figs, rasins. Oh, and an earthy hop brooding presence.

Taste is an alcolholic assault, big beer, big earthy hops. Not quite enough malt backbone to carry. Dry overall. As it warms, more raisin/sherry flavours come out.

Mouthfeel OK, moderate carbonation, heavyweight body.

Overall, a bit too dry, takes away drinakbility. One of the slowest drinks I have had in a long time... says a lot!!!

heygeebee, Jun 16, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Very, very dark, nigh stout-ish. Quite attractive. Hydrocephalic. Smell is kinda faint, but there's (excuse me, "I detect") Fig Newtons and booze. Travis says it's got a very clean flavor, and he's right. It's a pretty dry barleywine flavor, sweet for a second, but with a very bitter lingering hop finish that I found unpleasant. The finish detracts from the drinkability for me, but I might just be worn out from the Mikkeller Jackie Brown I had earlier tonight; my tongue may be crying out for mercy. Mouthfeel is full and satisfying.

battlekow, Feb 17, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Nøgne is a Scandinavian brewery I've recently grown a taste for despite their higher prices. I scooped up a bottle of this as soon as I saw it. Very fitting beer for a cold snowy day as was the case today. Not sure why this comes up as retired as my regular liquor store just received these recently and the bottle looks new, but lacks any dating. Either way this beer should hold up to aging so I'm not concerned.

I poured this into an over-sized wine glass, which reveals a nearly opaque dark brown with a tan head. The head eventually settles into a three hundred and sixty degree collar. No lacing, but expected given the style and alcohol content.

Smells of subtle citrus hops that fades into a caramel sweet malt bouquet. It's not in your face, but a pleasant mix and match of hops, malts, with a kick of alcohol that comes off as pleasant.

First sip is much more in your face and unpleasant in my opinion. The gentle qualities are lost in an astringent harsh use of hops. The caramel and soft sweetness is gone. Comes off as an unpleasant bitter alcohol taste. As I make my way through the glass I find I either become accustomed to the the taste or the beast has changed. Hops have become more subdued, but still seem astringent and harsh. Now I'm picking up on a hint of cocoa and a small resurgence in the sweetness that was so pleasant in the nose. Finishes dry and hot with a warming alcohol effect.

Mouthfeel is difficult to handle at first and seemed harshly carbonated, but as I make my way through the glass and eventually the 500mL. bottle I find it to be creamy and on par. Drinkability is low even given the style due to the harsh present of alcohol and astringent hop taste. This came off as surprising given what I thought was well developed in the nose.

Jmamay22, Dec 06, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

Apearance: Red/brown with a little head.

Smell: The smell is a combination of hop aroma and alcohol sweetness.

Taste: The taste is a bit similar to the taste, but it is a bit sweeter and less hoppy. The aftertaste is quite bitter.

Mouthfeel: The beer has nice body that produces a smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability: The beer is easy to drink, but could have a bit more taste to my liking.

MM3, Nov 08, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

This is just hitting some stores shelves, so I am wondering about the "retired" listing. Also, the bottle states that it is a Barley Wine, not a DIPA.

Pours a dark, nearly opaque, brown. There is about two inches of tan head that fades to a sheet, but leaves good lacing.

The aroma is strong on dark fruits and alcohol. There is a bitter coffee scent in the background, also. At first I thought it smelled like an English Barley Wine, but now it's leaning more towards a hoppy porter or stout. I think it's confused.

The taste of this one only lends to my "identity crisis" theory. Dark fruits,(almost burnt) bakers chocolate, dark roasted bitter coffee, a little pine and citrus hops, and a bunch of alcohol. Burning alcohol.

Solid, creamy mouthfeel. The fact that I am not sure (and neither is the beer) exactly what it is that I am drinking and this burning alcohol both knock the drinkability down. I had hoped for more. I think I might buy another bottle and lay it down for a while to see how it changes, as it is harsh right now.

Imstillthegman, Oct 26, 2007

stumac, Sep 07, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

listed as a barleywine, I've seen it searched for a couple of times in the forums. Noticed this while wandering through Julios's in MA and thought why not I'll try it.
A - dark brown, borderline black. deep ruby glints when held up to the light. Dark creamy tan head that lasts through the entire glass.
S - dark fruits, citric hops, espresso and a good whiff of alcohol.
T - kind of a cross between an american barelywine and a robust porter. dark and malty, quite hoppy bitter and roasty.
M - full bodied, creamily carbonated, warming with a bitter lingering note.
D - an intriguing and unusual brew. One for an evening was plenty.

final notes - not quite one style or another with elements that are nice but not quite melding nicely in the playground. May round out with more age but for this review it's as experienced.

barleywinebrewer, Nov 19, 2007

corysmith01, Jul 28, 2013

ygtbsm94, Jan 30, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: mahogany brown, hazy, tan fine-beaded foam, OK head retention

Aroma: luscious caramelly malt, brown sugar, woodsy hops, rum, hint of grapefruit, sour undertone, cooked meat, acetone

Flavor: huge wallop of caramel maltiness with hints of prunes, molasses, and leather; then a strong enteric bitterness sweeps in to crush the sweetness, leaving a citrus rind aftertaste in the dryish finish

Mouthfeel: FULL body, a bit syrupy actually, astringent, warming

Other comments: Definitely a winter beer. Reminds me a bit of a barleywine I brewed about four years ago, a bit too full bodied. The sediment is really loose, though. Pour carefully.

GreenCard, Jan 04, 2008

petluo, Apr 19, 2012

AlaskanYoung, Feb 02, 2014

KAF, Jan 17, 2012

tom10101, May 19, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Capone's the other day.,

The beer pours an amber brown color with good retention and lacing. Alas, this was to be as good as things get. The nose is fairly malty, but a bit light. However, there is some noticeable brown sugar and a hint of citrus, but otherwise I don't get a lot to the aroma profile. The flavor profile replicates the nose, and tastged side by side with Deaue, double crooked tree and blue dot, this is almost a joke. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth, but there just isn't enough flavor to be very impressive. Also, this beer has some noticeable heat and alcohol, which detracts from the beer's drinkability just a bit.

Nothing wrong with this beer, but can't say it's anything that would make me want to try this beer again either.

John_M, Apr 21, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours basically black with a long lasting creamy head in a snifter. Smell is almost a subtle smoky malt and very little hops at all. Subtle smelling beer. Taste is nice and crisp hoppiness, with very smooth toasty to roasty dark malt flavor hidden in the back. Quite nice and ver drinkable. Some slight wet cardboardiness in the flavor detracted at the very end for me.

JDV, Apr 06, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -11.7%

24oz. bottle purchased for $8.99 at total wine in delaware. Caught my eye because I thought it would be interesting to try a scandinavian take on the american style. Love the simple flourescent orange O thingy on the bottle.

This beer pours so dark, an opaque coffee-brown with chocolate accents on the edges. The head is so light, almost off-white, definitly an interesting contrast. Lacing completely coats the walls of my wine glass as it sits between sits.

Smell is well rounded, very mellow, roasty dark malts and very mild citrus hop notes.

The taste is overwhelmingly malty, like a brown ale, but with a finish of tangy hops.

Alcohol is very present in the mouthfeel, which is def affecting drinkability. I could feel my ears turn red after the first few sips.

Not bad. Glad i tried it.

baldmasterflex, Jun 28, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -11.7%

I had this sitting my cellar for about six months and the last day of July seemed like a good occasion to open it. This beer had a deep dark brown body with a nice 1" tall light tan head. The smell seemed a little muted, a little chocolate, some alcohol, as it warmed up a little more biscuit smell came out but that was it. The taste started a little sweet and then a nice bitter woody hop bite, the malt was kind of like a rye beer, that may have been from the hops but I was tasting rye. It is a little on the light side for a barleywine, but still nice and thick with a good level of carbonation for a 10% ABV beer. The lightness and good carbonation made it very drinkable.

orsulacp, Aug 01, 2008