# 100 - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

23,5° P, 80 IBU.

First brewed to celebrate the 100th batch.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat, and chocolate malt; Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

(Beer added by: bark on 03-01-2005)
View: Beers (60) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

Inflatablechair brought over this gem tonight... funny, I took this off my trading wants in the last couple weeks because I just never got any bites for it and it was not really high on my list of priorities... but tonight, Sammy decides to pull it from his cellar... karmic, prophetic and wonderful. Thanks buddy..

Into my Old Guardian goblet... 1/2" lite tan head.. okay retention atop a deep walnut brew that is pretty clear.

Nose shows big caramel with a surprising amount of citrus hops for a brew that is at least a year old... nice dark fruit presence makes me think figs and dark raisins.

Flavor is a rich mash-up of dark fruits, toffee, and hints of roasted malts... a little cocoa comes in with some brown sugar sweetness.. again some pronounced CCC hoppiness lets you know that the Norwegians were swimming for American shores... with warmth a little dark cherry essence mixes with the figs and other fruits.. but the hops are actually the big finisher.

Great body is a bigger medium... carbonation is nice but a tad big bubbled... honestly a bit too rich for more than a nice glass... glad I had a good friend to share this one with.

I really liked this one... it immediately reminds me of the older vintages of Old Boardhead...

Very cool Sam.. I truly appreciate this one.

4/4/4.5/4.5/4

11-19-2010 08:39:31 | More by JohnGalt1
CanuckRover

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a deep mahogany. Finger thick creamy head settles to a centimeter or so. Nice thick lacings all the way down.

Interesting aroma. Fruit coated in dark chocolate with a touch of strong caramel tossed in for good measure. American hopping throws up a bit of freshness too.

Bitter roastiness up front. Dark fruit coats the tongue followed immediately by very dark chocolate. Rum throughout. Roasted bitterness gives way to American resinous pine. So much flavour that it leaves the mouth a tad numb afterwards.

Mouthfeel is the only area that I found less than "good". Just a touch too oily.

This 2 year old bottle shows about the perfect age I think. Flavours are nicely developed and integrated, alcohol is warming, but not overbearing. Pick it up.

11-07-2010 20:00:42 | More by CanuckRover
tobeerornottobe

Australia

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Tried on-tap at the Local Taphouse in Darlinghurst on 30/10/2010.

A: Very dark brown with some tinges of red and a bubbly head.

N: Wow, there's the hop hit. Fresh hops which are very nice but I maybe expected them to be more musty in character than this. Hops very dominant.

T: Yes, the hops are still there. Really quite prominent.

M: Spot on for the style, fairly heavy but not quite as full as an Imperial Stout. Maybe a bit too much carbonation apparent through the mid-palate.

Overall, pretty good, though I admit I wasn't expecting quite the level of hops that appear in nose and taste. I imagine that's what differentiates an American barleywine from an English barleywine.

10-31-2010 05:19:57 | More by tobeerornottobe
cratez

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

500ml bottle shared with mrmanning at Chancey Smith's. Pours a deep mahogany brown with one finger of beige head and stringy lacing on the tulip. Smell and taste are floral and earthy hops, a hint of spruce, light yeastiness, prunes, toast, ripe pit fruit, taffy sweetness, roasted barley, dark plums, chocolate, caramel, a touch of boozy heat in the back of the throat, and an excellent citric hop bitterness to end. Definitely a hop-forward barley wine in the American mold, but there's enough malt flavour and complexity to balance things out. Mouthfeel is thick and full-bodied, sticky sweet, gooey syrup-like middle with a dryly bitter and round hop finish that coats the mouth. Some warmth kicks in after a few sips. Overall, a great interpretation of the style. I would happily drink this kick ass strong ale any day of the week. Thanks to R&R for importing!

10-27-2010 18:06:24 | More by cratez
mrandypandy

Georgia

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

16.9oz bottle receive as an extra in one of my last trades. Many thanks!

A- Pours a deep ruby/brown with a frothy off-white (beige) head. Lots of sticky lacing on my glass.
S- Caramel malty sweetness, raisins. Not as potent as I was expecting.
T- Big sweet malty backbone with a bit of spicy hop bitterness to balance it out. Some roasted notes as well.
M - Medium to full body. Thick, smooth, sweet.
D- Considering high abv and big nature of this beer, drinkability is surprisingly high. Like any beer of this size, it's slightly more than a sipper, but the complexity of flavors makes it easy to finish for the style. Would get again.

Overall - A well done and very solid barleywine. I'm not sure how much time this has had in the cellar, but it tastes like it's been put down for a bit and mellowed out nicely.

10-06-2010 00:36:10 | More by mrandypandy
DovaliHops

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours an extremely dark ruby-amber color (almost brown) with a medium off-white head. Scent is pretty unique. I pick up hops with freshly baked goodies. I read some of the previous reviews, and I totally see where someone got oatmeal-raisin cookies from. Sweet malts and a little bit of chocolate as well. Very different smelling BW. Taste is pretty much how I described the scent. First off I get TONS of dark fruits followed by some fresh baked bread flavors with a bit of hops following. Then it finishes with a roasty dark chocolate kinda flavor. Not as hoppy as I was expecting. Very tasty. Mouthfeel isn't nearly as chewy as was expected. Surprisingly light mouthfeel (for a BW). The drinkability is fairly high considering the ABV is in the double digits. Got one more of these aging in the "cellar".

10-05-2010 06:54:33 | More by DovaliHops
flannelman808

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pours dark brown and has a garnet undertone. Off white head tops it off somewhat thinly... lacing is there but not too impressive.

S: Maple syrup raisin oatmeal cookie? Lots of complexity here smells good.

D: Wow, great and surprising amount of bitterness here undetected by the palate. Malty sweetness is an afterthought here... I would love to see how this stuff ages. I like a young barley wine but this one will with out a doubt in my mind benefit with some aging.

M: prickly

D: quite high

09-25-2010 07:22:47 | More by flannelman808
SpdKilz

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

This has over a year of age on it. Purchased last August and properly cellared since.

Appearance - Pours with an uncanny resemblance to a dark soda such as Pepsi or Coke. About two fingers of bubbly, tan head is achieved that quickly dissipates leaving spotty lacing. The bubbles coming up from the bottom add to the "soda" sensation.

Smell - Now, here is where it gets uncanny. It smells like the old gummy coke-a-cola bottle candy you could get in the candy stores growing up. Birch root, root beer, earthiness, pine, and vanilla. A very enticing aroma to say the least.

Taste - Slight chocolate mint up front followed by caramel, toffee, and slight roasted malts. The herbs and spices mix in quite nicely. After the initial sip I begin to taste a hint of coke/root beer as I smelled in the nose. The pine and earthiness make itself known at the tail end of each sip, and it finishes a hint bitter.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, in my opinion overly carbonated (each sip becomes like a soda you swish around in your mouth - creating an almost foamy experience). I will continue to stir up the carbonation by swirling the glass in hopes this will die down.

Drinkability - I am hit or miss with barleywines. This one was a hit for me. Unbelievably drinkable (not sure how much of that is due to it being cellared for over a year) but I would be lying if I said I could taste even a hint of alcohol - it is nonexistent. A sipper beer, however, I caught myself quaffing it a couple of times. The more I drink it the slightest hint of warmness creeps up my throat. The flavors meld in an amazing way and

09-25-2010 00:33:29 | More by SpdKilz
jikvig

Norway

3.95/5  rDev -2%

A dark brown colour, with a nice and foamy head!

Very nice malt aromas, almost a "raw" feeling on that aroma.
I can also pick up alittle chocolate, a green hop feeling. It do smell like a BW!

I must admit I´m not a huge BW-fan myself, but this is a textbook BW; Alot of hops that really sits in the back of the mouth, a sweet alcohol flavour that makes a good balance with the bitternes. Smooth and easy, and I really builds up to something awsome!

Like I said, I´m not a huge BW fan. But this is a really good beer, non the less!
Wellbalanced and a long lasting taste that´s not overwhelming! Like indeed!

09-23-2010 19:56:17 | More by jikvig
Ghenna

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from larger bottle Deep brown color with surprisingly light colored cream head. medium density, sticks around for a bit. Initial smell is of caramel choco malt- smells stick and sweet. Taste is very mild for a BW, almost creamy on the palate. Malt sweet moves to bitter chocolate to a dry coffee finish. Alcohol is well hidden when it is colder. Awesome barleywine, and my first from this brewry- I'll have to check out their other styles.

09-14-2010 00:56:22 | More by Ghenna
rarbring

Sweden

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

A clouded, brownish brew, little lacing - some curtains.

The smell is grassy hops, fresh green apples.

Upfront a butter scotch sweetness, biscuits and bread, but the dominant part is a good bitterness.

Medium low carbonation, fresh and a good dry finish.

Very well balanced and hop dominated. Not very like a barley wine though ... tasted at a beer sampling at De Klomp, Linköping, Sweden.

09-04-2010 18:11:37 | More by rarbring
silentjay

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

pours out an orange red, but settles to a dark mahogany brown with a huge, small-bubbled and dense light tan head that lasts forever and clings to the glass.

kind of faint aroma, but it is quite unique for the style. lots of herbs and spices and fruits. cinnamon? nutmeg? plums? weird, but nice.

flavor is somewhat herbal and spicy as well with nutmeg and cinnamon. reminds me a bit of a spiced pumpkin ale, but much better. chocolate and a slight roastiness are added to the typical toffee, bread, and caramel malt flavors which are also there, but not dominant. fresh cracked black pepper comes through as you exhale. alcohol adds some harshness, but its not over-the-top. pretty unique, actually, but very tasty and complex.

medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation and tons of resin left in the mouth with a spicy, yet sweet and hot aftertaste.

goes down rather well. a bit harsh at times, but not too bad. a great example of brewing as an art, and as my first Nogne O product, I can assure you, I will be back for more.

09-01-2010 04:04:59 | More by silentjay
DIM

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This was a clear, coppery amber color, on the dark side for a barleywine. It pours with a towering, craggy looking, super sticky off-white head.

s: Kind of a different take on my favorite style, and it smells wonderful. Deep, rich maltiness that doesn't have the typical caramel or toffee elements. It does have dark fruit and a bit of potpourri like spice. There is also a strong citric hop aroma, a nice surprise from Scandanavia. These all work extremely well together.

t: This is the best new to me American barleywine I've had in quite some time. Its big and full-flavored, yet very well balanced at the same time. The malts up front are rich and vaguely chocolate-y. The finish adds some vanilla sweetness and a healthy dose of citric bitterness. There is a lingering dry spice note as well. The 10% abv is nowhere to be found.

m: Medium bodied and possibly a bit over carbonated. I enjoyed the last quarter of a glass more as things quieted down.

d: This was a world-class treat and a real pleasure to drink. Good-bye Moby.

08-27-2010 11:29:46 | More by DIM
rfgetz

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a dark brown with reddish highlights, minimal ring of off white head, decent lacing. Scent is of aggressive carmel, slight hints of smoke and earthy, citrus and piney hops. Taste is quite smooth for the style, solid carmel and roasted background with a good "american" hop presence. Not as sweet as i expected. Medium bodied, only slightly chewy. Good beer, more akin to a Strong Ale or "Imperial" Amber in my eyes.

08-23-2010 14:50:48 | More by rfgetz
claspada

Pours light brown with a two finger light tan head that holds together very nicely and leaves lots of lacing. Can already tell this is going to be fun.
Big time aroma of hops up front, some citrus, some earthy but also plenty of sweet malts, caramel, some brown sugar and a few fruity notes. Quite complex on the nose.
Flavor starts with sweet caramel malts, brown sugar, hints of vanilla, some chocolate, then follows with some bitter resinous hops on the finish. Perfect in balance however. Not too much of either.
Mouthfeel is very full and smooth, above average carbonation for the style, but not too much by any means.
Perfect style English Barleywine although I dont think it quite fits the style. Its really just a good strong ale. Hopping is great, maltiness is great, just a great balanced strong ale. Nogne has some hit or miss, and you dont want to miss for the price tags, but this is a winner; an immensely enjoyable and unique brew.

07-27-2010 19:37:52 | More by claspada
berkey

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Some evenings only a Barleywine will do the trick. 22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass, from notes 07/12/10.

A cream colored head crowns an extremely dark brown body. Lacing is wonderful and head retention is among the best I've ever seen in the style.

Because they used English Ale yeast I wondered at first why this wasn't classified as an English Barleywine but now that I pour it the aroma definitely confirms this has much more in common with it's stateside cousins than anything I've tried from the UK. Big pungent American hops are backed some toffee and caramel aromas and a faint flash of alcohol in the background. Really very nice.

Malt sweetness comes through a tad more on the flavor while the hop bitterness is relegated mostly to the aftertaste. I'm getting shades of yellow apples and pears, wasn't expecting that. Straight alcohol heat is much more subdued than many of similar strength.

I'm sure the fact I let this warm for quite a while before drinking it has something to do with it but this is just too drinkable, I'm really getting through this glass quickly.

Overall one of the happiest surprises I've come across lately and one of the better non-aged Barleywines in recent memory. More proof these Scandinavian brewers really know their trade.

07-14-2010 01:52:34 | More by berkey
avalon07

South Carolina

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brown color and a thick, muddy consistency. Some floaties. There was a half inch of creamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: Smelled of hops, malt, and a little caramel.

T: Tasted of chocolate malt, caramel, hops, and some yeast. A nicely balanced flavor that gets better as it goes along.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a mostly dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A very well made barleywine. Drinkable.

06-30-2010 13:29:11 | More by avalon07
baldmasterflex

3.55/5  rDev -11.9%

24oz. bottle purchased for $8.99 at total wine in delaware. Caught my eye because I thought it would be interesting to try a scandinavian take on the american style. Love the simple flourescent orange O thingy on the bottle.

This beer pours so dark, an opaque coffee-brown with chocolate accents on the edges. The head is so light, almost off-white, definitly an interesting contrast. Lacing completely coats the walls of my wine glass as it sits between sits.

Smell is well rounded, very mellow, roasty dark malts and very mild citrus hop notes.

The taste is overwhelmingly malty, like a brown ale, but with a finish of tangy hops.

Alcohol is very present in the mouthfeel, which is def affecting drinkability. I could feel my ears turn red after the first few sips.

Not bad. Glad i tried it.

06-27-2010 23:24:51 | More by baldmasterflex
kwjd

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a very dark amber-brown colour with off-white head. Lots of lacing. Looks quite unique for a barleywine, as I'd expect it to be more a dark orange colour. Sweet butterscotch and citrus hops in the nose. Taste is very complex. I'm getting a ton of caramel sweetness. There are pine and citrus hops. Also, I get a lot of raisin fruitiness too. Very smooth mouthfeel. Definitely a sipper, but it is very delicious and a well done barleywine.

06-20-2010 17:08:37 | More by kwjd
laituegonflable

Australia

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a very dark orangey-amber. Head is beige, nice and dense but a bit thin, sinking slowly. Lace is gorgeous: thick, sticky and smooth. What you'd expect from a good-bodied barleywine. Or like the lace I picture on a good-bodied Cambodian girl. Looks great overall.

Nose is sweet and strong. Large apricot aroma with a large amount of brandy booze strength. Very malty and sweet with some slight dark chocolatey character lingering behind. Tangy, sweet, classic barleywine fragrance.

Taste is strong with a lot of malt throughout. Rich caramel flavour with hints of molasses, and a slight licorice spice that blends well with the alcohol warmth that kicks in quite early and stays for the finale. Gets bitter towards the back with an earthy, gravelly hop character with hints of pine resin and some cumin notes. A slight dark roastiness lingers right at the end. Beautifully balanced drop, has an explosion of flavour but doesn't leave shrapnel, it's smooth and gentle on the palate. Thick, slick, perfectly sticky, great feel. Great palate in general.

This isn't actually mind-blowing stuff but it's got all the right characters and texture to it. Beautifully balanced heavier beer. This is what Nogne O do best, basically "let's do a barleywine" and lo and behold they've nailed it. Again.

06-09-2010 03:30:56 | More by laituegonflable
metter98

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is rather dark amber in color (close to opaque, unique for a barleywine) and poured into a snifter glass with a creamy white head that's one finger thick.
S: There is an intense, complex aroma with notes of citrusy and piney hops, dark fruits, caramel and chocolate malts, herbs and spices.
T: The overall flavor is very well balanced between malty sweetness and hop bitterness. It's also very complex with notes of notes of caramel, cherries, chocolate, coffee, molasses, raisins and spices.
M: It feels full-bodied and creamy on the palate with lots of carbonation. There is also some alcohol warming.
D: The beer definitely needs to be sipped given the alcohol content. I've never had a barleywine quite as unique as this so I would definitely try it again.

05-25-2010 01:46:52 | More by metter98
mjgarrett2

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%

A-Darkest Barleywine I have ever seen. Coffee brow with no light penetration and a solid creamy beige head of about an inch. Noticeable sediment settling to the bottom, I am guessing the yeast.

S-Like other Barleywines, light but noticeable citrusy hops and the barnyard barley aspect. Smells lighter and crisper then it looks.

T-Sweet and rich malts balancing off the hops up front with the barley and yeast flavor hanging in the background. The malts remain the dominant character non the less.

M-Nearly as heavy as it looks. Not creamy but thick like some porters holding up the richness of the flavor to linger and not give way to the bite of alcohol.

D-Not unpleasant but sweeter then I would like, even more so then many imperial stouts. It is more akin to a strong dark ale or baltic porter in my opinion than a barleywine, and would be well suited for dessert.

05-23-2010 21:52:57 | More by mjgarrett2
Pencible

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This poured a cloudy dark mahogany with some light tan head. It smelled like the gummy coke bottle candy (?) with birch root and sassafras and juniper and very earthy barley. It tasted like birch root and juniper, with earthy caramel and some medicinal flavors. It was thick with some carbonation, and had a bitter/sour/dirty aftertaste. Overall this was a very strange beer that's hard to comprehend as a barleywine. It was very earthy and herbal, reminding me most of DFH's Sah'tea, but heavier. It had good body and the alcohol wasn't too noticeable, so it wasn't difficult to drink once I acclimated to the taste. Recommended if only for the novelty and experience (not for the quality or true enjoyment).

05-23-2010 18:55:39 | More by Pencible
Metalmonk

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a dense, cloudy milk chocolate brown color, with a remarkably firm beige head. Lots of lace stick and has that all-around classic barleywine appearance.

The aroma, however, is nothing I'd equate with a barleywine. It's good though, just has an herbal element that reminds more of a hi-test winter warmer; jasmine, rose, spruce and pine needles come to mind (nose) and not a whole lot of malt or vanilla or alcohol as I might normally expect in the style. Still, whatever is going on here is nice.

The malt comes back in on the tongue, although it's got an exotic toffee-like brightness, and none of the heavier, burlier maltiness of many other BWs. Again a pronounced herbal character forms the basis of this beer, including a rather bitter, astringent hop presence. Spruce-like hoppiness features in the finish, with toffee-like malt further back. Chocolate, fig and raisin try and push through, but that evergreen hop character pushes right back. Alcohol is cool and nearly invisible.

The feel is wonderful, rounded and supremely creamy, with just the right amount of carbonation providing tickle.

The pine-needle hoppiness overtakes the malt in #100, reminding me of when barleywines are very young and in need of cellaring. Would like to try this again in a year or so...

05-14-2010 21:48:25 | More by Metalmonk
brentk56

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a tawny, almost cola brown color with a magnificent head that sits atop the liquid and refuses to budge, just gradually slipping down in size while leaving clumps of foam stickage

Smell: Rich malty aroma, with wafts of caramel, tobacco, mint and citrus pith

Taste: The addition of the chocolate malt creates a chocolate mint character to the caramel and raisin toast malt bill; by mid-palate, the pith and pine adds a nice hoppy dimension; after the swallow, the flavors merge together and provide a nice balance between the big malt bill and the bitter hops

Mouthfeel: Full body with moderate carbonation; some warmth in the gullet but the alcohol is not at all hot

Drinkability: A really nice beer that shows off the chocolate malt in a unique fashion that really works when blended with the English malts, the wheat and the American hops

05-14-2010 01:52:20 | More by brentk56