# 100 - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

23,5° P, 80 IBU.

First brewed to celebrate the 100th batch.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat, and chocolate malt; Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

(Beer added by: bark on 03-01-2005)

webbcreative, Jan 01, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -52.1%

Split a 500 ml bottle Nov.30th

A: looked pretty good Nice Brownish Deep Amber colour, Tan'Offwhite head

S: Subtle, faint notes of caramel and chocolate trying to make their presence known

T: Oxidized full on Cardboard bomb. Lingered over powered even the booze.

M: Slightly thinner than i hoped and the faint carbonation didnt help.

O: Not what i was expecting i checked the bottle best before stamp it had two numbers on it 2 years apart should of been in the clear. might need another look if a new shipment comes in

Relik, Dec 07, 2013

DuffDaddy, Jun 27, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -49.1%

500 mL bottle poured into a CBS snifter, which I thought would surely contain it. It didn't.

Appearance - Overflows instantly as I pour it. Huge khaki head that screams some sort of problem. Murky body with excellent lacing, I suppose.

Smell - Sour apples and hops. Nothing very barleywine-ish. It does take a couple of sniffs to confirm that it's infected. Hefty hop notes, even over the apples.

Taste - Tangy at first, then hoppy and even a touch of caramel. I must say it doesn't taste awful, but it isn't worth the liver damage.

Mouthfeel - Still pretty thick and mouth-coating. The bitterness is out of balance because of a lack of sugar and an unpleasant twang in the flavor, but it still isn't undrinkable.

Overall - A bad bottle, I'm sure, but it's the only one of these I've ever had, so this is how I'll review it. A drainpour, but it isn't the worst infected bottle I've sipped.

Alieniloquium, Feb 25, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -38%

My first reaction was that I got a bad or turned bottle. As it warmed a bit I got lots of flavors and character and I just decided that it's not to my particular liking.

Pours a deep brown with a thick pillowy and firm head; lovely to look at.

Nose is a light fruity-coffee character. Light hint of carmel-not real barley wine like. Mouthfeel is creamy and bold.

Flavors, also, are not real barley wine like. They are bold and assertive-they just don't "go together." Flavors start with a hint of sweet coffee and fudgy chocolate and then goes to citrus quickly and then hits you with an unpleasant very bitter pine resin. Sort of tastes like a limed coffee with a resin finish.

I have a feeling some may call this beer complex. I believe that it has a few flavor profiles that just don't marry well.

There is also an overwhelming cinnamon flavor and character. So, not really liking cinnamon I suspect that, too, may influence me. Interesting to try; not to drink.

GRG1313, Aug 28, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -38%

kevinmaher, Sep 08, 2014
2.55/5  rDev -36.7%

500 ml bottle. Pours a brown cola color with a creamy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet sugary caramel malts and dark fruits with some spicy (slightly piney) hops and alcohol in the background.

The flavor is sweet and watery cola and some fruitiness with a harsh salty and tar-like bitterness at the finish. The alcohol is pretty harsh. The mouthfeel is medium to full and kind of watery.

Overall, too much harsh alcohol and bitterness for me. I don't get any grapefruit or pine from the hops which is disappointing. It reminds me some of Flying Dog's barley wine which I really didn't care for either.

Beaver13, Oct 09, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -33%

It's been a little while since I reviewed a beer. #100 for my 450th review.

I chose the big balloon snifter for this one. Wow, does this look appetizing. First of all, this is a really dark barleywine; it has a dark cherry wood color. Awesome foam with great retention and swirl-ability. Outstanding.

Some light smokiness in the aroma along with raisin and bright hops.

Hmmm. After a promising start, I just cannot say that I am crazy about the flavor here. Where to begin....it seems very lacking up front, without much malty sweetness, just a little straight-up bitter chocolate, quickly transitioning into what I can only describe as a dull bitter hop character. Very bitter, and not in a very interesting way, I'm afraid. It's hoppy as hell, sure. Yet while b-wines like Bigfoot, Old Guardian, Old Ruffian and the like are all hoppy as hell, they back it up with something, imbue it with some nice malt character to play off the hops. This doesn't have that. I have no doubt that there's plenty of malt in here...but it's just not working for me, it's not creating any meaningful balance. Sorry. I really didn't expect to rate this so poorly.

Feel is fine. Hell, feel is excellent. Good creaminess, very good soft carbonation. I only wish I was enjoying the taste more.

For me, this beer pretty much excels in all areas except actual taste. Damn. I was expecting an easy overall score of 4.0+. I have no reason at all to believe this is a bad bottle, either. It just comes off to me as bitter hop for the sake of bitter hop....I can find more interesting hop/malt interplay in west coast DIPAs, even. It doesn't seem well thought-out, which I find surprising given that I've absolutely loved every Nogne O beer I've tried.

Patrick999, Feb 01, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -28.5%

Reviewed 12/12/2008 (bottle):

Pours a very dark brown colored body, with a huge foamy creamy tan colored head, extremely lasting, with okay lacing. Has a dark fruity aroma, hoppy, sickly sweet smelling. Some strong raisin nose. Smokey taste. Light body. Dark coffee taste. Tasty.

jujubeast6000, Jan 23, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

My first venture into this brewery & I'm underwhelmed, even though I am a big fan of barleywines.

The most impressive piece of this was the massive foaming even with a gentle pour, but I can't drink with my eyes. Smell is much less subtle than most barleywines; some other style that I just can't place.

Taste is acceptable. Again, not the smoothness nor the silky sweetness I like in a bareleywine, still untamed, boozy, with a taste & smell like raw roughage. Not bad, but not good, either.

Pretty average; maybe the roughness is in the youth of the beer, perhaps it'll smooth out & improve with age. More than likely I'll never find out.

maximum12, Jan 09, 2009

richbrew, Nov 15, 2011

pixieskid, May 30, 2012

Odysseyalien, Dec 09, 2012

valianes, Mar 23, 2013

The color has a deer reddish tinge to the typical brown body a barleywine normally exibits. the head is a tight off white color.
The aroma hides any heat under layers of dark fruits and figs, and heated dark chocolate.
The flavors here are the ones you'd find at a fondue restaurant that only used dry dark chocolate to dip the fruits in, and that had a mediterranean flair to their fruit selection in addition to citrus. Dark fruits are really the center of a melded rich depth of flavors, so if that's your game then come play this one, in some ways i think this is what a really hoppy trappist quad could end up as.

A solid barleywine, average, not amazing or dissapointing.

ChadQuest, Jun 21, 2011

rhhjr, Feb 10, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

Murky brown with huge tan head.

I'm not sure of the age on this bottle, but I don't get many hops just a tart green apple and chocolaty malt with a bit of pungent fruit.

Hop bitterness right up front with a huge blast of roasted chocolaty malt. I'm sure this is some age on this one, because the hop flavors are very subtle and earthy. Rich grainy bread flavors with fantastic fruity yeast character.

Solid carbonation and a rich oily mouthfeel.

There is something about the flavor that I just don't like. I'm not sure, but I'm only getting subtle hop flavors and mostly grassy bitterness. There is some malt holding it togther, but I was expecting a bit more.

jlandis, Nov 29, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Whoa. That's a dark/opaque barleywine! Big dark head of tiny bubbles that really lasts a long time. Smells thick and rich and sweet... OK, well, that and grassy/bitter hops. But the taste... That was unexpected! Like... Like it's some kind of cross between an RIS and an I2PA, I guess. It's weird. Hopped like a 'merican b'wine - or an I2PA. On the bitter side, then. Only less body than you would expect and a definite chocolate twinge to the flavor. I must admit that I've never had that in a b'wine before! And the more I drink of it, the more I get the chocolate flavor - like I really am drinking the cross I mentioned earlier. Interesting in its own right, but not as a barleywine!

Eidt: taken down several notches, in review. For one... I tried some warm. Wow, was that ever nasty! For another... I had another beer then came back to this one. It's so not a barleywine that I'm pissed at the brewer for calling it one. Dang it! We want malts and hops! But those malts... We're not looking for chocolate, darn it all! If we wanted chocolate or a beer this dark we'd drink an RIS!

charlesw, Jan 26, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

This was really odd and not at all what I was expecting as it is considered a barleywine (an American, at that..). The color is dark brown like a doppelbock or such. Very odd. Aroma is somehwat bitter but mostly is dominated by deep, dark malt (chocolate mostly). This carries Into the flavor - very unbalanced with strong malt presence and some dry bitterness. The chocolate malt doesn't mix well with what other flavors are present. Mouth is standard and probably the best part of the drink - moderate body with a good level of carbonation. All around I just can't get over the flavor. I don't think this bottle is spoiled or such, but it's just way too much malt for a barleywine.

BirdFlu, Oct 27, 2009

crosenkrantz, Jul 02, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

A - Pours nearly black, though upon further examination it is actually translucent brown. The tan head lasts a bit before receding to an encircling wisp, leaving lace rings upon the glass.

S - The nose has sweet malty naked grain notes tempered by lime citrus aromas, but overall it is generally hop forward.

T - English malt, US hops? That sounds about right... It could really use a healthy dose of caramel and/or toffee, as the hop-forward doesn't work as well on the palate without a sturdy malt base.

M - The feel is just a bit bigger than medium, and has a rather lively feel for a Barleywine

D - Easy drinking, but nothing spectacular.

ktrillionaire, Jun 30, 2011

Zachtheporter, Feb 09, 2013

Fargrow, May 12, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

Thanks to RobotGod for this one.
Poured a deep brown with large tan head and I mean HUGE. Biggest I have seen foir a bwine, almost so big that I had to let it settle for 5 minutes or so. Nose was nice chocolate malts, English malts and well hopped. Taste was rather light bodied for a bwine. While it was tasty it did lack the malt and hops profiles of the typical American Bwine.The ABV was more than the taste to me. Mouthfeel was good. Some age would do this well.

barleywinefiend, Jul 24, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

Big fluffy head in the pour, hazy almost black brown body with maple brown hues. Some decent lacing.

Rich toffee nose with dates, dusty cocoa, and dark fruits, not unlike a quad. Grassy/earthy hops are there. And, so is the booze.

Roasted grain, burnt sugars, light roast coffee, citric hop, musty qualities, and a slight tinny tang. Semi-sweet with some caramel apple.

Mouthfeel is weak and watery. So thin for the style. The carbonation is also somewhat disappointing, although it looked great in the glass.

I can say that it's not terrible, but the hops don't really stand out. Terrible mouthfeel makes it suffer. I could pass this one up.

thecheapies, Feb 07, 2012