# 100 - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Norway

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 03-01-2005

23,5° P, 80 IBU.

First brewed to celebrate the 100th batch.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat, and chocolate malt; Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.
first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last
4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

Snagged a bottle at Belmont Station in Portland Oregon during a recent road trip. Glad I did.
Poured into a snifter. Dark charcoal black with a hint of brown around the side and a nice adequate brown foam head that dissipates quickly. Interesting lace. Not the big layers a splotches but abundantly spotted. Little dots all around the glass.
Rich chocolate and coffee notes throughout. Aroma and taste. Lingering aftertaste leaves a very pleasant mouthfeel to savor.
Will definitely buy this again when I get the chance. (522 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours a dark brown but sits in the glass as a imperal stout. Has thick pancake-like batter qualities. Lacing is thick and phenomonal, as it coats the whole glass and sticks around...exceptional.

Smells are so so complex. ..Another "5"
Up front are Sweet toasty malts, peppery spices, and some hops. Choclolaty as well.
As I swirl the mysterious brew, I get waifs of roses and herbs. A very bready smell and some wood charachterics...oak.
Where is the alcohol 10% abv?

In the taste department, I would compare this brew mostly to Stone Russian Imperial Stout. But not as thick in the mouthfeel as Stone. This tastes incredible.
Has a nice hop profile. Almost ruins the tounge like a IPA. Very very sweet malts that are sooo roasty and toasty. As the hop bitterness are almost borderline OUT TO SPACE, so is the malt sweetness. This beer is HUGE HUGE HUGE. With the sips, alcohol is present like a barlywine. What is this beer? I would label it a Imperial stout. But without the coffie and expresso many have.

The mouthfeel is thick and the sugars coat everything. I am surprised my teeth are not coated black. I wish this was a bit more creamy and smooth. Still is creamy and smooth but could be a little more. I think the Hops take away the mouthfeel and drinkability one half notch.

This is a HUGE beer. Incredible profiles!!! People always talk of Dark Lord and Westies....I think this is up there in that class.
A bit expensive...but we only live once! (1,463 characters)

first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last