1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

# 100 - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

# 100# 100

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

23,5° P, 80 IBU.

First brewed to celebrate the 100th batch.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, wheat, and chocolate malt; Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

(Beer added by: bark on 03-01-2005)
4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Deep mahogany purple sort of like a dark dark Belgian. Thin lightly tanned head. Can't get over that color. Spectacular. Slight haze but just fascinating.

Barley wine? Really? Seriously hoppy citrus with a big dose of alcohol sweetness. No doubting this beer is robust with the aroma acting as a warning signal to the taste buds.

The bitter smack in the mouth smooths over slightly as it warms. At first it hits like a good DIPA. The malt staying in the background while the hops take you for a bitter and twisted ride. Once warmed the bitterness is joined by a lightly toasted and caramel malt sweetness. Fantastic, two beers in one. The lasting bitterness continues to pay homage to the glory of the hop. Yes, if Ruination was a barley wine, this would be it.

Mouth feel remains a little sharp even once warmed but the weight is spot on.

Drinkability? Off the scale. I honestly don't care about the minor mouthfeel issue. The IPA bent in the aroma? Fine by me. This beer has what a barley wine should be. Huge character on both malt and hop fronts. Best beer I've had in while. Thank you Nogne O.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

From notes 1-4-10

Eye: Brown in color and clear looking, though you can't tell because the color is so dark, with garnet highlights. Head is creamy and thick looking, tan in color with about 3/4 finger head retention and good lacing. They don't get better than this.

Nose: Aroma fills the room once this brew is poured. Alcohol is strong. Huge malt sweetness. The aroma is so strong I can taste it on the back of my tongue, all the sweet malted barley notes. Upon further inspection, with my nose to the glass I get a bunch of dark fruits and sweet candied aromas, though its definitely not like to that of any belgian, not nearly as fruity. This aroma is very familiar, just hard to put a finger on....

edit: dark fruit character akin to prunes, weak aroma of a mash being done whilst brewing, but not nearly as heavenly or strong....more hop than anything, green a bit floral and definitely resinious...kinda smells like fresh hops....this was definitely dry hopped...resiny and leafy green and sticky like whole hops just before being added to kettle.

Tongue: Alcohol is evident and definitely does alot to balance out the sweetness. Bitterness from hops along with some grassy notes sit on the back of the tongue. Toasty notes in the finish lingering on in the aftertaste. Notes of grain bitterness, though not as in a stout...they're here but are again balanced and subdued by alchol and malt flavor. I'm finding it hard to describe this beer, its good but I'm not sure how to describe it. Bitterness is high and gives some seriously needed balance to the brew. If bitterness weren't where it is this beer wouldn't work. All in all pretty good, I think I'd still go for Old Guardian over this though.

Feel and Drinkability: Finish is clean and dry, leaves you wanting more, very dry almost to the point of parching the palate, making the tongue feel swollen. Carbonation is low as it should be and for a 10% beer and a barley wine its not nearly as warming as I thought it'd be. For a barley wine this is an easy drinker, though I'm not sure that is what I really want when it comes to the style, I want something that demands sipping. I mean this doesn't demand sipping, it doesn't encourage quaffing either, but I think it goes down "too easily" for a barleywine. Body is slick and full and leaves some alcohol on the palate after being swallowed. Good beer, but not great. Give it a shot, but I'm still a much bigger fan of Old Guardian. Very good, but should not be almost ten dollars for a single, then again its an import so I'll deal...I love everything else I've had from Nogne-O and I like this one too. Sweet and sticky on the lips....

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Reviewed from my notes. 8 ounces served in a small tumbler.

A: Big foamy tan head, dark ruby liquid, decent amoutn of carbonation.
S: Lots of bitter hops. Musty pine, touch of citrus. Some sweetness. It smells very much like a double IPA.
T: Oily bitterness. Some nice & sweet malts. A little toffee.
M: On the thicker side and plenty of hop oils. Medium carbonation. Some sticky coating.
D: Very drinkable for the style. Doesn't feel very alcoholic. Lots of good flavors--nothing overpowering. Worth checking out.

2.7/5  rDev -33%

It's been a little while since I reviewed a beer. #100 for my 450th review.

I chose the big balloon snifter for this one. Wow, does this look appetizing. First of all, this is a really dark barleywine; it has a dark cherry wood color. Awesome foam with great retention and swirl-ability. Outstanding.

Some light smokiness in the aroma along with raisin and bright hops.

Hmmm. After a promising start, I just cannot say that I am crazy about the flavor here. Where to begin....it seems very lacking up front, without much malty sweetness, just a little straight-up bitter chocolate, quickly transitioning into what I can only describe as a dull bitter hop character. Very bitter, and not in a very interesting way, I'm afraid. It's hoppy as hell, sure. Yet while b-wines like Bigfoot, Old Guardian, Old Ruffian and the like are all hoppy as hell, they back it up with something, imbue it with some nice malt character to play off the hops. This doesn't have that. I have no doubt that there's plenty of malt in here...but it's just not working for me, it's not creating any meaningful balance. Sorry. I really didn't expect to rate this so poorly.

Feel is fine. Hell, feel is excellent. Good creaminess, very good soft carbonation. I only wish I was enjoying the taste more.

For me, this beer pretty much excels in all areas except actual taste. Damn. I was expecting an easy overall score of 4.0+. I have no reason at all to believe this is a bad bottle, either. It just comes off to me as bitter hop for the sake of bitter hop....I can find more interesting hop/malt interplay in west coast DIPAs, even. It doesn't seem well thought-out, which I find surprising given that I've absolutely loved every Nogne O beer I've tried.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Found at the LCBO by accident and was quite surprised. Poured a dark and hazy brown was a decent head for 10%. Smell was slightly malty but the hop aroma overwhelmed it. The taste was slight malt on the fore front and then the bitter hop on the end. Was expecting more malt but was still a good brew. I prefer less hoppy beer but can respect a well made and balanced hopped dark ale. Pretty good beer from a brewery that I have yet to be disappointed by!

# 100 opens to a sweet, spicy, citrusy, complex aroma that instantly speaks to a well-crafted beer. There are lovely light sugars in here, including strawberry, berry, orange, and apricot fruit esters on the light side, and prune, fig, raisin, black cherry, and date on the dark, as well as touches of candi sugar and almost Stevia-like sweetness about the fringes. These are countered by lemon and lemongrass, as well as sweet pink grapefruit and touches of grapefruit rind and pine from the hops, and a nice toast crust, biscuit, and Grape Nuts cereal layer from the grains. The aromas do drift more toward the sweet and effervescent, recalling fruit spritzers, but enough of a cognac touch of vanilla and caramel remains to add a layer of light alcohol vapors. As a whole, the nose is very nice, though somewhat lighter than could be expected from a 10% ABV Barleywine, but does feature an excellent range of fruits and sugars, tempered well by vanilla, citrusy hops, and breads.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a marked sweetness that is almost instantly joined by a strange heavy raisin fruit ester base, almost as if raisin puree had been added pre-fermentation. The raisin overtone does carry touches of date, fig, and prune, but is largely raisin-y, and joined by peppery, spicy edges that make this seem more alcoholic fruitcake than beer. Largely gone here are the light fruit esters from the nose, the orange coming across on the tongue more like blood orange liqueur. Thick swaths of brown bread and toast crust add earthiness, and there’s a good layer of lemon, lemongrass, grapefruit, and light pine resin from the hops. But the major flavor here is the raisin/dark fruit layer, which combines with the vanillas, caramels, and alcohol burn to make this seem like raisin liqueur mixed with brandy or cognac. These flavors dominate the aftertaste as well, which lingers on the tongue for a good while. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is one of the stranger Barleywines on the market, and the overabundance of raisin and dark fruit esters is initially shocking, and can be slightly wearing over time, like trying to eat an entire loaf of spiced fruitcake in one sitting. The beer is definitely worth trying for the experience, but be aware that this is very much a sipping beer, and the strong flavors and heavy alcohol burn might prove too much for some.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to Joey for bringing this one last night to La Bella. This was a winter 07 vintage.

Pours pretty dark for a barley wine, porter-like color with a good inch of foam. Good retention and some lacing on the glass.

The aroma consisted of dark chocolate, cocoa, and a hoppy Chinook presence. Chocolate covered raisins and some dark fruity esters as well.

The taste was similar to the aroma, dark chocolate upfront with some cocoa, earthy and herbal hop bitterness with some alcohol in the finish. Surprised at how hoppy this beer still is after almost 2 years. Heavily roasted malt flavors, almost burnt, burnt toast and bitter coffee in the finish. Moderate carbonation with a semi-dry and lingering bitter finish. Tastes almost like a really hoppy RIS. The alcohol is very well hidden, I guess it's hiding behind those IBUs.

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

This is just hitting some stores shelves, so I am wondering about the "retired" listing. Also, the bottle states that it is a Barley Wine, not a DIPA.

Pours a dark, nearly opaque, brown. There is about two inches of tan head that fades to a sheet, but leaves good lacing.

The aroma is strong on dark fruits and alcohol. There is a bitter coffee scent in the background, also. At first I thought it smelled like an English Barley Wine, but now it's leaning more towards a hoppy porter or stout. I think it's confused.

The taste of this one only lends to my "identity crisis" theory. Dark fruits,(almost burnt) bakers chocolate, dark roasted bitter coffee, a little pine and citrus hops, and a bunch of alcohol. Burning alcohol.

Solid, creamy mouthfeel. The fact that I am not sure (and neither is the beer) exactly what it is that I am drinking and this burning alcohol both knock the drinkability down. I had hoped for more. I think I might buy another bottle and lay it down for a while to see how it changes, as it is harsh right now.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

#100 pours a dark brown w/ a nice one finger chocolate head. This is one dark barleywine... must be the chocolate malt. Slightly above average lacing on my snifter. The nose is really nice. Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops here- and the really the majority of what I get. Ok- there's a hint of the chocolate malt on the taste. Caramel, grapefruit and raisin in there too. Also, a hop bomb just went off in my mouth- but in a good way. Big malt backbone, but the hops have literally destroyed my taste buds within 3 tastes. This is borderline 4.5, but not quite. Feel is medium full, with a hop bitter aftertaste. Dry finish as well. Probably the best aspect of this brew. Overall, this is a nice barleywine- I'd buy it again. Cheers.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

A-2” dense tan head on a pretty much black body.
S- Big citrus and pine hops, light burnt malt in the back, sweet dark fruits and figs, toffee, and one other sweeter thing I just can’t put my finger on.
T- Big roasted malt character. Sweet toffee, pine hops, light citrus hops, dark fruits like plums, hints of nuts, just a touch of spice (maybe from a type of hop), and a little tickle from alcohol on the tongue. In the aftertaste it’s left with sweet caramel malt, some cherries, a pine hop dryness, and a decent size bitterness on the mid tongue.
M- Full chewy body with low carbonation.
D- It is pretty good. The first few sips are kind of questionable but after a few it does come around on you. Not really what I was expecting but it is a really good barleywine and might try to get a couple more.

# 100 from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S