Imperial Stout - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

23°P,75 IBU.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, Munich, roasted barley, oat, black, and chocolate malt; Columbus and Crystal hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.

(Beer added by: Sigmund on 02-08-2006)
View: Beers (60) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Trower

11-30-2011 18:21:28 | More by visionthing
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

Man this is just exceptional! Poured with a very dark almost purple head and lots of lace that lasted. Opaque. Very dark malts with roastiness and hints of dark ripe fruit, some spice, no hop. Good burps. Not too fruity like some are. This is very well balanced for such an extreme beer, almost a session beer. Maybe for freaks.

11-11-2007 22:50:35 | More by drpimento
Pbomb

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

One of the best Russian Imperial Stouts I've had...I've been craving it ever since (and am bummed that I haven't been able to find it where I live now). I originally had this gem at the Map Room in Chicago; it was the perfect winter evening drink.

And dare I say it...I think it's better than Three Floyds's Dark Lord.

It pours thick and is basically opaque in a glass. This beer is exceptionally smooth with a perfect balance of slight hoppy bitterness and smokey roasted malts, ending with a nice chocolaty/coffee finish typical of your standard RIS. You can also get hints of anise, nuts, and fruit. But the mouthfeel/drinkability is what I love about this beer. Despite its ABV of 9%, the beer is straight up velvety goodness and goes down so easily that I think its exceptionally drinkable without being watered-down.

08-16-2009 22:11:58 | More by Pbomb
SkipWeathers

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

A special find of the shelf in NC! Perefect blend of bitterness, roast, and sweetness. Dark inky black in color with mud-brown head. Taste in well-balanced, velvety. Nice coffee and chocolate flavors in abundance. Just melts in your mouth. I want more and would like to try other varieties from this brewer...but I moved away from NC!

11-27-2011 22:12:36 | More by SkipWeathers
tavernjef

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Dark and heavy brown pour. Settles black as glossy coal. Huge, immensely thick roasty brown topping caps it like a crown with a creamy smooth and frothy sponge. Dwells upon the liquid for a good stretch and leaves massive chucks of lacing in cob webby stitchings.

Favorably roasted and large nose here. Lots of "Expedition"- like qualities with deep dark roasted tang, espresso, dry chocolate, burnt prune, smoked plum, and cooked cherry skins. Slightly large smokey ascents and prevalent burntness of cookie edges, cake, and really dark vanilla notes. Great spicyness of x-mas breads and ginger cookies too. Damn nice and straight up exceptional Impy nose!

Taste makes due with a spectacular array of fun roasty stuff. Dark deceptive, deep, and tangy with smoked dark fruit skins and spicey holiday breads. Smmmoooth...lasting deepness of well developed and rounded roastyness with a bit of espresso touching the burnt notes. Kinda like a silky smooth chocolate covered x-mas dark fruit bread or cake. A bit fudgey, a bit doughy, great hints to smoked/burnt stuff and loads of lasting taste and complexity. Yum, yum, yum, yum, Yum! Last third or so really turns into a silky chocolate dream.

Strong medium body, smooth, creamy, fluffy with a bit of texture to it. Chocolate toned sweetness, mild dark fruity tanged, and burnt fudgey cookie/cake all over the place. The finish is quite and chocolatey. The only real drag of the beer is that it really doesn't have a finishing quality, but damn if it doesn't make ya come back for more!

Ummm...you can label this brew as the best beer form Norway! Not that I've had a bunch from my native land, but from what I have had, this takes the silky smooth chocolate covered x-mas dark fruit cake! Too bad its so spendy...but well worth the adventure.
I could see having a bunch of these after cross country skiing or snow shoeing the big hills of anywhere. Norway representin' y'all!

10-22-2007 23:55:25 | More by tavernjef
pwoods

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

A BIG thanks to dsigmon for this trade.

16.9oz bottle poured into an imperial pint. No dating.

A: Pours pitch black with a vinous viscosity. 2 strong fingers of deep mocha head form and keep strong. Fat, blanketing lace.

S: Sweet espresso and dark fruits. Some burnt malt character in the background. Hops add a fresh, earthy crispness. Smell isn't extremely profound but what's there is nice.

T/M: Not overly potent like most RIS's which is a pleasant change. Very noticeable at first sip is the body isn't nearly as thick and chewy as I thought it'd be. A nice drinkable medium with just enough chewiness to let you now it means business. Beautiful mix of bitter coffee and chocolate with notes of dates and black cherries. Great balancing bitterness also helps with the complexity of the coffee flavor. A bit more bitterness comes out in the finish, changing my tongue from silky to slightly dry.

D: Very complex all around and a top notch brew. I have a couple more bottles that I was planning on aging. Until I can secure more of this, I don't think I'll be /able/ to age any. A bit lighter than tradition RISs but the viscosity and mouthfeel help the drinkability in an extreme way.

12-18-2007 05:21:17 | More by pwoods
Magpie14

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

A: thick, sticky, meaty viscous pour. This onyx black body was capped off with a dense whipped coffee colored head. A sight to behold! Head was chunky with swiss cheese holes and craters. Lacing was hugging the glass as the head slowly faded away

S: dark malts, oats, and grains. Sweet chocolate, roasted dark coffee beans, and maybe some creamy molasses. Sometimes the heavy dark nose profile can make things hard to identify/pick out. But still, I can not wait to sample this...

T: this stout has a very nice balance of roasted flavors and sweetness. Dark malts are husky and well represented, maybe lightly smoked. In any event malts match nicely with soft creamy oats 'n' grains. With those flavors in mind throw some bitter chocolate covered espresso beans in the mix. Sometimes reminiscent of fudge brownies and doughy chocolate breads. Faint bitterness is just the right match towards the end, very harmonious brew

M: I happen to like the huskiness of this bad boy. Roasted flavors are controllably in charge. Mouthfeel is heavy and soothingly creamy. I found myself savoring every sip!

D: I have just found (arguably) my most favorite imperial stout and it is from Norway. I love it! I am gonna have to try the other brews in the Nogne lineup, this is my first. My compliments to Nogne for a soild, wonderful brew...hot biscuits

01-24-2009 20:52:54 | More by Magpie14
DoubleJ

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

The Nøgne Ø brand is what I consider to be the one that started the flood of Scandnavian imports to the US, starting a little over a year ago. Well, happy beleated landing in the US, Nøgne Ø. To celebrate, let's pop open their Imperial Stout. On to the beer:

Wow, that's an impressive first look. Darker than midnight, thick, gooey, and topped with a two-finger coffee-tan head. The nose is more subtle than I was expecting. Faint esters, hint of chocolate, some figs, licorice.

The taste and mouthfeel of this beer are heavenly. Viscous, smoother than silk, medium-heavy, and a flavor than melts in your mouth. It's s smackdown of bittersweet chocolate at first. Then it's followed by mixed fruits, a hint of vanilla, and faint alcohol. Roasted flavors are light on the paalte, helping make the brew unbelievably drinkable and desirable.

Imperial Stouts were for sippin', not drinkin'. But this one sure is! Full flavored, yet balanced to perfection with deceiving alcohol which slowly kicks in. It turned out to be money well spent for the half-liter bottle ($4.99), and the best beer I've had so far this year.

06-04-2008 04:06:18 | More by DoubleJ
libbekat

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

I love this beer. It is almost like an illicit sexual affair. First I am possessive, I don't want to share. Second I remove the price tags, so my husband doesn't know how much I am spending. Third, I was saving it for special occasions, now I just make up occasions.
I bought the first one because I liked the packaging. I am a woman after all. I liked the black bottle with the purple Ø on the label. Plus I am a fan of Imperial Stouts.
I shared the first one with a member of my beer club. We were hosting dinner and Imperial Stouts were the main theme. We tried this beer with three others. This was the best. I was very excited about the black beer in the glass with a thick, toffee colored head. It poured out velvety and smooth. For our actual beer dinner we served it at with the main course: portabella mushrooms in a red wine reduction, topped with stilton cheese, roasted rosemary potatoes and steamed broccoli. We tasted six beers that evening and this way the group favorite.
The velvety pour is consistent all the way through to the mouth. It rolls around, leisurely and silky. The first thing you taste is coffee, slight espresso hint. The roasted barley is strong without overkill. There is a slight, very slight, acidity but I personally enjoy that. Dark chocolate finishes this stout off beautifully.
I have added this beer to my top ten. It is like a orgasm in a glass.

06-02-2008 20:50:20 | More by libbekat