Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Imperial Stout - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Imperial StoutImperial Stout

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Sigmund on 02-08-2006

23°P,75 IBU.

Ingredients: Maris Otter, Munich, roasted barley, oat, black, and chocolate malt; Columbus and Crystal hops; English ale yeast, and our local Grimstad water.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Stout Alström Bros

Overall: Had this in Arendal, Norway at Kitchen & Table restaurant. Poured from the 500mL bottle into a large wine glass. This was a great RIS - lots of complex flavors typical of the better imperial stouts. This is the highest rating I have given a RIS. If you have a chance to find this beer, get it and try it. Don't miss the opportunity if it presents itself.

Look: Typical dark black stout - not a great amount of head, but what was there stuck around the whole time and left a great looking lace on the glass.

Smell: Lots of dark chocolates, coffees, roasted grains. Very deep aromas - you could leave your nose in the glass for a long time and really enjoy it.

Taste: early dark fruit flavors, followed by some chocolates/coffees, and then finishes with a real nice toffee/caramel/dark maple syrup sweetness. Like most other RIS, let this one warm up to the recommended temperature because it tastes so much better than when it is refrigerator cold.

Feel: Just the right amount of thickness - moreso than a smaller stout and typical of a RIS. Carbonation was just right.

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

Man this is just exceptional! Poured with a very dark almost purple head and lots of lace that lasted. Opaque. Very dark malts with roastiness and hints of dark ripe fruit, some spice, no hop. Good burps. Not too fruity like some are. This is very well balanced for such an extreme beer, almost a session beer. Maybe for freaks.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

One of the best Russian Imperial Stouts I've had...I've been craving it ever since (and am bummed that I haven't been able to find it where I live now). I originally had this gem at the Map Room in Chicago; it was the perfect winter evening drink.

And dare I say it...I think it's better than Three Floyds's Dark Lord.

It pours thick and is basically opaque in a glass. This beer is exceptionally smooth with a perfect balance of slight hoppy bitterness and smokey roasted malts, ending with a nice chocolaty/coffee finish typical of your standard RIS. You can also get hints of anise, nuts, and fruit. But the mouthfeel/drinkability is what I love about this beer. Despite its ABV of 9%, the beer is straight up velvety goodness and goes down so easily that I think its exceptionally drinkable without being watered-down.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

A special find of the shelf in NC! Perefect blend of bitterness, roast, and sweetness. Dark inky black in color with mud-brown head. Taste in well-balanced, velvety. Nice coffee and chocolate flavors in abundance. Just melts in your mouth. I want more and would like to try other varieties from this brewer...but I moved away from NC!

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Dark and heavy brown pour. Settles black as glossy coal. Huge, immensely thick roasty brown topping caps it like a crown with a creamy smooth and frothy sponge. Dwells upon the liquid for a good stretch and leaves massive chucks of lacing in cob webby stitchings.

Favorably roasted and large nose here. Lots of "Expedition"- like qualities with deep dark roasted tang, espresso, dry chocolate, burnt prune, smoked plum, and cooked cherry skins. Slightly large smokey ascents and prevalent burntness of cookie edges, cake, and really dark vanilla notes. Great spicyness of x-mas breads and ginger cookies too. Damn nice and straight up exceptional Impy nose!

Taste makes due with a spectacular array of fun roasty stuff. Dark deceptive, deep, and tangy with smoked dark fruit skins and spicey holiday breads. Smmmoooth...lasting deepness of well developed and rounded roastyness with a bit of espresso touching the burnt notes. Kinda like a silky smooth chocolate covered x-mas dark fruit bread or cake. A bit fudgey, a bit doughy, great hints to smoked/burnt stuff and loads of lasting taste and complexity. Yum, yum, yum, yum, Yum! Last third or so really turns into a silky chocolate dream.

Strong medium body, smooth, creamy, fluffy with a bit of texture to it. Chocolate toned sweetness, mild dark fruity tanged, and burnt fudgey cookie/cake all over the place. The finish is quite and chocolatey. The only real drag of the beer is that it really doesn't have a finishing quality, but damn if it doesn't make ya come back for more!

Ummm...you can label this brew as the best beer form Norway! Not that I've had a bunch from my native land, but from what I have had, this takes the silky smooth chocolate covered x-mas dark fruit cake! Too bad its so spendy...but well worth the adventure.
I could see having a bunch of these after cross country skiing or snow shoeing the big hills of anywhere. Norway representin' y'all!

4.84/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The smell is absolutely amazing. Easily among the best aroma's I've ever had from a beer. The mouthfeel is perfect, just the right thickness without feeling sticky. The taste is among the best I've ever had from a basic imperial stout (no coffee beans added, BBA, etc...). Nice and complex, changes a couple times in your mouth.

Need to acquire again, this is absolutely top notch.

4.78/5  rDev +16%

I love this beer. It is almost like an illicit sexual affair. First I am possessive, I don't want to share. Second I remove the price tags, so my husband doesn't know how much I am spending. Third, I was saving it for special occasions, now I just make up occasions.
I bought the first one because I liked the packaging. I am a woman after all. I liked the black bottle with the purple Ø on the label. Plus I am a fan of Imperial Stouts.
I shared the first one with a member of my beer club. We were hosting dinner and Imperial Stouts were the main theme. We tried this beer with three others. This was the best. I was very excited about the black beer in the glass with a thick, toffee colored head. It poured out velvety and smooth. For our actual beer dinner we served it at with the main course: portabella mushrooms in a red wine reduction, topped with stilton cheese, roasted rosemary potatoes and steamed broccoli. We tasted six beers that evening and this way the group favorite.
The velvety pour is consistent all the way through to the mouth. It rolls around, leisurely and silky. The first thing you taste is coffee, slight espresso hint. The roasted barley is strong without overkill. There is a slight, very slight, acidity but I personally enjoy that. Dark chocolate finishes this stout off beautifully.
I have added this beer to my top ten. It is like a orgasm in a glass.

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%

A BIG thanks to dsigmon for this trade.

16.9oz bottle poured into an imperial pint. No dating.

A: Pours pitch black with a vinous viscosity. 2 strong fingers of deep mocha head form and keep strong. Fat, blanketing lace.

S: Sweet espresso and dark fruits. Some burnt malt character in the background. Hops add a fresh, earthy crispness. Smell isn't extremely profound but what's there is nice.

T/M: Not overly potent like most RIS's which is a pleasant change. Very noticeable at first sip is the body isn't nearly as thick and chewy as I thought it'd be. A nice drinkable medium with just enough chewiness to let you now it means business. Beautiful mix of bitter coffee and chocolate with notes of dates and black cherries. Great balancing bitterness also helps with the complexity of the coffee flavor. A bit more bitterness comes out in the finish, changing my tongue from silky to slightly dry.

D: Very complex all around and a top notch brew. I have a couple more bottles that I was planning on aging. Until I can secure more of this, I don't think I'll be /able/ to age any. A bit lighter than tradition RISs but the viscosity and mouthfeel help the drinkability in an extreme way.

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%

A: thick, sticky, meaty viscous pour. This onyx black body was capped off with a dense whipped coffee colored head. A sight to behold! Head was chunky with swiss cheese holes and craters. Lacing was hugging the glass as the head slowly faded away

S: dark malts, oats, and grains. Sweet chocolate, roasted dark coffee beans, and maybe some creamy molasses. Sometimes the heavy dark nose profile can make things hard to identify/pick out. But still, I can not wait to sample this...

T: this stout has a very nice balance of roasted flavors and sweetness. Dark malts are husky and well represented, maybe lightly smoked. In any event malts match nicely with soft creamy oats 'n' grains. With those flavors in mind throw some bitter chocolate covered espresso beans in the mix. Sometimes reminiscent of fudge brownies and doughy chocolate breads. Faint bitterness is just the right match towards the end, very harmonious brew

M: I happen to like the huskiness of this bad boy. Roasted flavors are controllably in charge. Mouthfeel is heavy and soothingly creamy. I found myself savoring every sip!

D: I have just found (arguably) my most favorite imperial stout and it is from Norway. I love it! I am gonna have to try the other brews in the Nogne lineup, this is my first. My compliments to Nogne for a soild, wonderful brew...hot biscuits

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%

The Nøgne Ø brand is what I consider to be the one that started the flood of Scandnavian imports to the US, starting a little over a year ago. Well, happy beleated landing in the US, Nøgne Ø. To celebrate, let's pop open their Imperial Stout. On to the beer:

Wow, that's an impressive first look. Darker than midnight, thick, gooey, and topped with a two-finger coffee-tan head. The nose is more subtle than I was expecting. Faint esters, hint of chocolate, some figs, licorice.

The taste and mouthfeel of this beer are heavenly. Viscous, smoother than silk, medium-heavy, and a flavor than melts in your mouth. It's s smackdown of bittersweet chocolate at first. Then it's followed by mixed fruits, a hint of vanilla, and faint alcohol. Roasted flavors are light on the paalte, helping make the brew unbelievably drinkable and desirable.

Imperial Stouts were for sippin', not drinkin'. But this one sure is! Full flavored, yet balanced to perfection with deceiving alcohol which slowly kicks in. It turned out to be money well spent for the half-liter bottle ($4.99), and the best beer I've had so far this year.

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%

500mL bottle poured into a mug. (Note I have had this beer many times before, I just never reviewed it because I couldn't describe the smell.)

A - black with a 3.5cm brown, nearly dark brown head. the head seems to lighten in color as it dissipates.

S - dark chocolate, coca, coffee, roasted barley that borders on charred barley. a subtle smokiness and a slight alcohol tinge are also noticeable.

T - roasted barley, charred barley, coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa, alcohol, anise with a bitter hop finish. No piney, citrusy or floral notes from the hops, just bitterness. This has a very, very dry taste. The alcohol is pretty well masked. After about half of this beer, I began to notice a tobacco like flavor in my mouth, along with some increased smoky flavor.

M - I would have though that the oats used in this would improve the body, but it's kind of thin, especially for an RIS. However, the carbonation is amazing, so I only took off 0.5.

D - one of the first Russian Imperial Stouts I've ever had and one of my favorites. I love the bitter, dry flavor of this, and even though there's a alcohol tinge going on, I would consider this more drinkable than some other lower ABV brews that don't quite mask the alcohol that well.

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%

Pour: .5L bottle to pint glass. Label reads 9% ABV, which in my opinion could make quite a difference in a beer from the 7.5% that's listed on BA. Anyway, let's continue and find out. A gentle pour produces the tiniest brown head that reduces quickly to a more-than-ample coat of lacing. The body of the beer is the darkest shade of brown, like a Turkish coffee. As I drink the beer webbing clings all over the glass. It's gorgeous.

Nose: Sweet caramel, brown sugar, and a fruitier touch of gooseberries. Balanced with aromas of coffee and grapefruit. Candi sugar aroma seems present as well. Not an extremely strong smell but very appealing.

Mouth: Huge roast flavors balanced by heat and an almost floral fore flavor. Plums and grapes marry coffee and charcoal with some heat in the exhale and an espresso aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy and very easy to drink. Works chilled on a hot day or room temp on a cold one. No alcohol flavor to expose the 9%, just the wee touch of heat that works well with this beer. Terrific!

4.73/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a beautiful opaque black with tons of medium brown head, dense and sticky. Aromas are quite unique for an RIS, more leaning on the dark toasty notes than roasty. However, there are notes of raisins, olives (strange but I get it), rubber, chocolate, and a bit of burnt esters (my imagination). The rubber could be a mix of medicinal/chemical like notes, perhaps thrown off by yeast or just the malt/hop combination. On the palate, this beer is THICK, mouth coating deliciousness. The use of wheat and oats has made is incredibly smooth and there's no roasted harshness but a noticeable hop bitterness. This reminds me a lot of Oat from ST. A slight vanilla, oaky, smoky oxidative note really brings complexity to this beer making it unique in a sea of RIS's that are all the same. Just a touch low on carbonation, but I prefer it to the overly carbonated American versions. Highly recommended, first from this brewery, and pysched that folks in Norway are brewing world class stuff.

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured into a flute.

The beer is a dark brown, immediately calling to mind roasted grains.

The aroma is wonderfully enticing, dark roasted grains and bitter chocolate.

The taste is divine. It tasted like heavily roasted grains, the absolute darkest roast you can imagine, but that's not doing it justice. My taste buds cried out in joy with every sip. Easily one of the tastiest imperial stouts I've had.

The alcohol in this beer is very well hidden, and it drinks easy for such a strong and heavy beer. I could easily drink this all day, if it weren't for the alcohol content.

Overall, this is one of the finest imperial stouts that I've had. It doesn't have bitterness of Stone, Stormking, or even Rasputin, nor the malt taste of Samuel Smith and Brooklyn, nor the coffee of Founders. This beer is all about the darkest roast, and thus is unlike any other RIS I've had recently. One of my favorite imperial stouts.

4.71/5  rDev +14.3%

Dark black color... Like old oil. Nice brown foamy head. Sticks quite well to the glass. Perfect look. Aroma is quite complex. Chocolate, licorice with a touch of espresso coffee. Nice. The taste is exceptional. Sme burnt malt in there with chocolate and coffee. Complex. Creamy in the mouth. Lingers in the mouth too for quite some time. Warmth. The finish is bitter.

A true reconforting beer for those cold winter days. Awesome.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%

For 9.00 U.S. American dollars, I had very high expectations for the one. This beer is becoming increasing more available, if you know where to look. Primarily in specialty shops, not necessarily your run of the mill mega-stores. On to the beer.

Appearance- Very solid. Impenetrable black, nice wispy head, lacing throughout.

Smell- Not barrel aged, but sure smell like it is. Ripe currants, raisin-y funks.

Taste- Again, very sold. Chocolate powder surrounded by a very dry malty lemonish finish.

M&D- A beers beer to say the least. Like they used to say, "it'll put hair on you chest", damn, I'm a hairy bastard.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black as tar with a sticky brown head. Gooey yeast sticks in the bottle. Laces hugely. Smells like coffee, fudge, burnt malt, and warm brandy. Taste is rummy, dark chocolate and plums with hints of coffee, charcoal and vanilla. Quite complex, without being challenging. A very tasty example of the style, that trends towards an Imperial Baltic Porter (because it's got such a fruity character). Mouthfeel thick and velvety, just as it should be. A good one overall that drinks well and doesn't disappoint.

4.69/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the 500mL bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is completely opaque and black even when held directly to light. The head is also one of the darkest I've ever seen, a thick foamy much seeping up from the mud of this brew. The whole thing looks almost like some melted chocolate ice cream on top of some motor oil. Crazy.

S: Very chocolatey with some booze hidden underneath. Really reminds me of chocolate cookies right after they have come out of the oven, then smothered in chocolate pudding which was then allowed to sizzle on the still-hot baking pan. So in other words, some burnt chocolate and roasted malt with lot s of dough and molasses, topped off with a somewhat sweet character. Crazy.

T: Chocolatey with some tobacco smoke and plenty of dough and roasted coffee. Amazingly complex. I'm sure I could come up with a different note each time I took a sip of this. Not as boozy as some imperial stouts and that's a good thing. I expected this thing to give me a brutal punch at the end, but in reality is was very mellow and only revealed even more flavor as it slowly made its way into my stomach and then my bloodstream. Crazy.

One word keeps coming to mind each time I think about this beer and it's "crazy." Not in a super hoppy DIPA way that kicks you in the face with a huge amount of some flavor, but in that it's supremely hard to pin this one down. It's crazy because it's so many contradictory things at once. Not only in that such a huge beer can be subtle, but also that beneath that subtlety lies a complexity that is like a gift every time it hits your tongue. Well balanced and extremely flavorful, strong and yet dangerously drinkable, this is a beer that I will want to come back to again and again.

4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle inspection: Same as the pic. Nice info about the beer (ingredients, plato, IBU's, ABV, etc). Pretty impressive.

Aroma: Big whiff of pine and powdered chocolate. Nothing like big American hops and roasted barley on the nose. A marriage in the glass to savor. I get a little anise as the beer opens up. A complex nose of chocolate, coffee, and resiny American hops.

Appearance: Pours viscous motor-oil black. Definitely bottle conditioned. Effervescent on first pour and settles with a nice tan head.

Flavor: More dark chocolate, licorice, and roasted coffee notes. In the background is the resiny almost grapefruity hops flavors (hello, Columbus hops!). Big and bold malted roasty notes are balanced by the wonderful hop flavors and background esters. Finish is bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied with medium carbonation. The hops resins cling to the palate and make for a pleasant lingering aftertaste.

Overall impression: Wow. One fantastic RIS to be savored. I might get one to age as the hops are definitely forward here. Not out of style but with bottle conditioning, I'd love to see what this looks like in 6-12 months. A great stout to be savored.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Completely black and opaque with a 1-finger rich tan head with brilliant lacing and great retention. Only complaint is it is a bit hard to pour with a decent head.

S: Nutty and delicious roasted malt and delicious hops. One of the most delicious smelling beer's I've poured in quite a while.

T: Beautiful flavor in the initial taste - like the smell, a strangely and wonderfully spiced roasted malt. Finishes with a bittersweet and even more roasted taste with hints of chocolate and maybe a little coffee. A wonderful taste all around. Alcohol is detectable in the aftertaste, but perfectly acceptable given the other remaining tastes.

M: Thick, creamy, and heavy-bodied. A tiny bit astringent, but it doesn't linger too long. Carbonation is just right as well. This category cannot improve.

D: This is a massively drinkable beer even though one should be enough to satisfy the stomach as well as get you slightly inebriated.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Aroma is rich and mouth-watering - "stouty" and smoky with strong tones of unsweet chocolate and fine coffee and a touch of miso. It pours an opaque sable that is just two cat whiskers above black with a very thick, dark tan head that hangs around for a bit. Rich flavor is what I expect of a stout, having strong tones of roast high-quality coffee and unsweetened chocolate, with just a whisper of molasses. Texture is very thick, sharp and fizzy. Worth seeking!

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

From the moment I poured this into a Duvel glass I started salivating! Licorice colour with a dark tan head, about one finger, that leaves a little lacing after it settles.

I could smell the roasted malt, bitter chocolate and coffee whilst it was still pouring (salivated some more too!)

I finally got it to my tastebuds and it was pretty much on par with the smell. Not as chewy as I expected from a RIS. A little bit of toffee in there and a wooden smokiness too.

The light carbonation combined well with the nice dry hoppy (but not bitter) finish. The 9% ABV is so well hidden that I will comfortably say I could give it a session. It went down nice and smooth!

Not as complex or oily as some of the RIS brews out there but it goes down a treat.

I have become rather addicted to this beer and if I could afford it every day, I would have it as my nightcap every night!

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a bottle into a ginormous mug.

A- pours as black as the devil's soul with a 2 finger brown head.

S- roasted malts, strong dark chocolate, and freshly brewed coffee. All aromas are strong. In other words, awesome

T- getting some slightly sweet chocolate, a very tad bit of bitter coffee in the finish, and roasted malts throughout...balanced very well.

M- nice and thick, but...would have actually liked it to be a little thicker, to be honest. Just missing a tad bit

D- fantastic beer, but the pricing is outrageous...13 bucks for 500 mL.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass

Look: Dark brown, almost tar-like with a bubbly tan head. Decent retention and some lacing but nothing special. Not sure whether or not my eyes were deceiving me, but this seemed fairly viscous when pouring.

Smell: As soon as the top was off the bottle there was a delicious aroma of dark, roasted malts and a hint of chocolate, the latter of which intensified once in the glass. Given the ABV, there was very little alcohol noticable on the nose, which bodes well.

Taste: Absolutely delicious - I don't think there are words to do it justice. You get everything in the smell, plus a bit - slightly burnt flavours, chocolate, coffee, burnt sugar and maybe the faintest hint of liquorice spiciness. The alcohol is very well hidden, and only really becomes noticeable as a warming feeling once it hits your stomach.

Feel: Quite a full body, as you'd expect from a stout and an Imperial in particular. Has quite a 'viscous' feel to it but by no means hard going. There's a nice transition from the burnt, tarry, earthy flavours up front to a dry, alcohol-tasting finish.

Overall: As stouts go, this one is an absolute killer - fantastic smell, massive flavour profile and a well-disguised ABV. I suspect this would benefit from some aging but as it comes it's absolutely stunning. The first beer I've had from Nøgne Ø and it certainly won't be the last - this should be on the shopping list of any stout enthusiast.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

A - Jet black opaque, nice thin dark tan head

S - dark roast coffee, bitter chocolate, barley, woody

T - smokey rich flavor, coffee, cocoa, much like the nose

M - coating, full bodied flavor that lingers for ages, light carbonation

D - its a sipper and very delicious!

Imperial Stout from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S