Sahti - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

SahtiSahti

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Sahti |  11.00% ABV

A cooperation between Norewgian brewery Nøgne Ø and Swedish brewery Dugges, this is their interpretation of the traditional Finnish style.

Brewed with malt, hops, rye, wheat, sea wormwood, juniper twigs, honey and yeast from Belgium, Germany and Britain.

(Beer added by: Sigmund on 12-02-2008)
View: Beers (60) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by gthornton:
gthornton

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Needless to say I am falling in love with this brewery, everything I have had from them shouts quality and a certain spirit of ingenuity and you have to love.

Poured into my Tremens glass: a honey-like viscosity (no surprise), with a 2 finger head that receded after a few minutes, leaving minimal lacing.

The thickness of the honey provides a lot of body, and flavor. The latter being well balanced and having earthy qualities present most likely from the twigs.

A very strong drink, one that immediately makes its effects present, but a pleasure to sip. For the price I would take it slow, but if I have the money this would be a great drink to sip all night and enjoy myself immensely.

I highly recommend this beer as a fun drink to try and enjoy with loved ones.

02-22-2010 22:18:15 | More by gthornton

07-28-2013 22:59:40 | More by Bettyloug
BrownNut

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - 4 - Soft translucent rosy amber. Fizzy tan head that dissipates quickly.

S - 4.5 - Lovely, prominent, malty honey smell exclusively. This smells so deliciously good.

T - 4.5 - Lovely malt with the saturation dial cranked up, and rich honey sweetness. Reminds me almost exactly of when I used to eat my Raisin Bran as a kid and would drizzle thick streams of honey over it after I poured the milk. I can't tell if there's a hint of spice here or if it's the prominent booze fumes or the spritzy carbonation or a combination of all three, but something gives it a real zing. I was expecting this to taste like a giant mouthful of gin thanks to the juniper twigs, but really I'm struggling to detect those notes at all.

M - 4.25 - I was expecting a sharp, piney beer, with an accompanying thinner mouthfeel for max sharpness, but instead I've got something with a lovely velvety mouthfeel. It's north of medium bodied and feels so good to pull into the mouth.

O - 4.25 - Firstly, I love this brewery and secondly, I want to try all beer styles. So I bought this one and figured it would be my only Sahti ever based on my expectation of the pine tree it would taste like. I have kind of been dreading cracking this open and figured I'd dislike it. But I'm so glad I did, because instead I've gotten something that comes across much more like a lovely English-style Old Ale, with a wonderfully delicious honey base. What a treat. Nogne O does it again. I don't think I would call this beer complex, but the honey-malt combo is so delicious that it gets a pass. MAN it's delicious.

I googled to find the serving temperature recommendation and it said about 40 degrees, but based on the thick rich sweetness of it, I figured it would be better closer to room temperature. So I left he last third to warm up. For once I think I was wrong. I think it was actually a good bit better colder. The taste is so strong it doesn't get wiped out by the cold.

06-21-2013 03:28:48 | More by BrownNut
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Poured into a pint glass, the beer was a cloudy color with a soft white head. The head dissolved rather quickly to leave a white lacing around the sides of the glass. In the aroma, one immediately notices the juniper, making me think of a gin and tonic. At the same time, the nose also reveals a strong dose of honey that puts a sweet edge on the juniper. This is not like the sahtis I have tasted in the past. On the initial taste, honey and biscuit come to the forefront with the bubbles quickly brushing this away. A mild sense of fruitiness is detectable. As the carbonation mellows the juniper sours the honey in the aftertaste. In the bigger sense, the carbonation might be too aggressive as the sweetness fades too quickly into the sour. At the same time, the sour of the juniper at the end is the best aspect of the taste. I am unable to saw that this is my favorite sahti, but it is among the best.

06-07-2013 01:26:43 | More by JohnnyHopps

t0rin0

11-28-2012 05:41:22 | More by t0rin0
dfillius

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured into a pint glass
A: Moderate pour yield 1 finger of fizzy off-white head with good retention. Hazy cloudy amber with chunks :-( When I poured remainder of bottle later on, lots of yeast came out with the rest of the bottle.
S: Apple cider vinegar or white balsamic vinegar, slight sherry. Juniper maybe...but it's a stretch.
T: Honey is up front and lasts. Heat, some breadiness, not terribly herbal as I would expect a sahti to be. Juniper? Hard to stomach as it seems hodgepodge and vinegary. A jumbled braggot maybe. I'm wishing for the herbal character of a sahti! After this beer warmed it became much better, and was as follows: some roastiness/earthiness is apparent and probably from the roused yeast. Braggot characteristics meld and become quite nice for that style. Still not much of a sahti. Maybe it includes the ingredients, but not the flavor. Before it warmed, I was leaning towards 1.0. Now I brought it up to a 3.5.
M: Bright, tart, with chewiness. A little heat, but not much for an 11% beer.
O: Pretty good. I wouldn't order another or buy again, but I fairly enjoyed it.

10-27-2012 01:52:11 | More by dfillius

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

07-28-2012 18:54:22 | More by DIPADude01
superspak

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

500 ml bottle into snifter, no bottle dating. Gusher upon opening. Pours very cloudy reddish orange color with a small 1 finger off white head with good retention, that reduces to a very thin cap. Some light spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of big honey, grape, pepper, molasses, raisin, herbal, cherry, floral, citrus peel, and yeast spices. Beautiful aromas here with great balance and complexity. Taste of caramel, honey, molasses, pepper, grape, raisin, earth, herbal, floral, citrus peel, banana, and yeast spices. Lingering notes of caramel, molasses, herbal, floral, grape, pepper, and yeast spices on the finish for a while. Great balance of flavors; with absolutely no cloying at all. Medium carbonation and full bodied; with a very nice creamy, slick, and thick mouthfeel. Alcohol is very well hidden at 11%, with only a warming after the finish noticed; definitely a slow sipper. Overall this is a great sahti! It felt a bit unbalanced at first; but it smoothed out as it reached room temperature. Really well done.

05-14-2012 01:40:27 | More by superspak
kawilliams81

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Bell's tulip.

A- pours a cloudy, golden with a 2 finger off-white head. Some lacing remains on the glass.

S- crazy sweet honey!

T- lots of honey upfront with some spices that follow.

M- medium body and carbonation. I had no idea this was 11%, very drinkable and mellow for the abv.

O- popped my sahti cherry I believe? Enjoyed this beer, and would not drink often I would drink again.

05-05-2012 03:10:51 | More by kawilliams81

4DAloveofSTOUT

04-15-2012 06:53:26 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
SLeffler27

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

This Sahti is syrupy thick and dark with light cloudiness and a half-inch fine white head that lasts a long time. Lacing forms a thick coating while the beer has legs.

The aroma is dominated by honey with some lemon and floral notes.

The flavor is interesting! Sweet with light malts, honey is clearly present with a light tartness just before a mild, bitter finish. The finish has a clear presence of juniper. Overall, this is reminiscent of a sweet white wine, but there is licorice with warmth.

The palate is slick and almost syrupy with a full body and surprisingly light alcohol. Carbonation is light an lively.

Consumed from a fisheye pint glass, this was a nice surprise, purchased purely out of curiosity, but well worth finding again. Sahti probably goes well with a rich meal, but was good on its own.

03-03-2012 13:21:18 | More by SLeffler27
bminor7

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

16.9 oz bottle from either hoosick or half time.

appearance - amber with some suspended detritus, ring of white foam. syrupy consistency.

nose - candi sugar, a little juniper

flavor - candi sugar, dark fruit. some funkiness. iron? no real hop flavor. This may be past its prime since the bottle has been in my posession for at least 2-3 years now.

m - heavy, sticky, but a nice wintertime treat.

overall - probably more interesting fresh. brings a lot of consistency and flavor. somethin like an imperial sahti?

01-22-2012 21:39:53 | More by bminor7