Sahti - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

SahtiSahti

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Sahti |  11.00% ABV

A cooperation between Norewgian brewery Nøgne Ø and Swedish brewery Dugges, this is their interpretation of the traditional Finnish style.

Brewed with malt, hops, rye, wheat, sea wormwood, juniper twigs, honey and yeast from Belgium, Germany and Britain.

(Beer added by: Sigmund on 12-02-2008)
4.93/5  rDev +28.4%

Had this for my New Years beer last night...This was my first Sahti, and it was incredible.

A - Cloudy but brilliant unfiltered golden color with two fingers of white bubbly head
S - Amazing. Huuuge honey aromas with some earthiness, and hints of raisins...so much more
T - Even better than it smells. It's like a high quality tripel blended with the best mead I've ever had (which was a raisin clove mead I sampled at a ren fest once). The alcohol is detectable but for 11% it's very well masked. I was pretty blown away by this
D - Dangerous.

4.78/5  rDev +24.5%

needed a break from a bit of a rut i'd been in lately and my bud suggested i give this a go due to the sheer unique-ness of the style. here is what i think:

A: pours up an absolutely beautiful shade of sun-kissed honey gold that serves as a fitting (and lovely) preview for what is to come.

S: honey, brothers and sisters. the juniper shows up later on, man, but the nose to me provided the slightest hint of citrus buried beneath layer upon layer of that golden yum-yum.

T: W-O-W! please imagine a very mild, very superb mead with the slightest trace of lemon and the high ABV pop associated with many an imperial in its MOST subtle form and you're there, man. (seriously, NOTHING that would suggest this sucker is anywhere NEAR the percentage it actually is.)

this is wonderful stuff!

M: the very definition of balanced complexity. not offensive or girthy in the slightest, and yet chock full o' substance in terms of giving itself a good name in terms of representing the style to a first-timer (as, upon my initial sippin', i was).

D: ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING! were it not for the fact that upon completion my lips went numb, i'd have NEVER guessed this beer was anywhere near the 11.0% beast that it is. pleasing, lovely, and very, very dangerous. : )

in closing, (as you probably noticed) i absolutely LOVE this beer and hope that, if you are so inclined, you will try it as soon as possible.

enjoy!

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

If someone handed me the glass and didn't let me taste it, I'd swear this was a mead. Big honey smell with a faintness of juniper berries, maybe some clove. Taste is fairly big on the honey too, but you can also taste the juniper and clove like spices as well. Starts out honey, but fades out to the other tastes. It hides the 11% VERY WELL, which is great for cold nights. It could sneak up on you if you're not careful. Definitely a great beer for the holiday season. Actually, I could drink this in the summer too. Probably get me another bottle sometime soon. It's my favorite Sahti thus far.

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown1pt .9oz bottle into a tulip glass. The label has some nice info which includes ingredients, abv% (11%) and bitterness (24 ibu).

Appearance: This one wanted to get out as soon as I opened the bottle. Light beige bubbles slowly rose up from the bottle as I then tried to quickly move the bottle to the glass to catch the tasty foam. After it was poured I observed a very cloudy orange/brown colored body full of yeast sediment. In the body tiny champagne like bubbles can be seen streaming up the sides of the glass. The rushed pour produced an average, two finger tall beige head. It was made up of lightly packed foam which settled quickly and left only a very thin film on top.

Smell: The aroma is full of sweet honey notes, pine needles, bready, malts and yeast as well as some mild fruity apple skin like notes.

Taste/Palate: It has a sweet honey mead like character with loads of sweet bready yeast and fruity estery notes as well. I picked up fruity notes of apple and pear mixed with notes of pine needles and a very slight touch of citrus/pine hop bitterness. The finish is still quite sweet but there is some botanical/herbal bitterness with some very mild hop bitterness for balance. Underneath all of this is a very well hidden mellow alcohol presence. On the palate it has a firm smooth texture with soft yet active carbonation.

Notes: For me this beer was absolutely outstanding!!!

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

This beer pours a cloudy amber-orange color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes slowly leaving nice lacing. The aroma is very herbal (juniper and lavender) with a solid mead-like character. It is a very strong aroma, and has nice complexity. The taste is a nice balance of sweet malt, herbs, honey, and a considerable alcohol presence. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a velvety texture, and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is the first Sahti I've tasted, and I really like it. I would really like to see some American Craft Breweries tackling this rare style.

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

i have had in the beertemple Amsterdam strage beer with honey notes but also jupiler berries makes it an sweet strange beer but nice. the 11% you dont taste so its a treasones beer, you think you can have 3 or 4 till you see the %
i think its a lot of fun that 2 brewerys make a beer thats not to made for everyone.
but i like it a lot

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A. Pours a hazy golden amber with a small off-white head that leaves amble lacing.
S. Lots of honey on the nose with some sweet malt mixed in: honey nut cheerios?
T. The flavor is instantly like a mead, but with a malty backbone and a good level of spice. The flavor is almost like a tripel with more honey and spice. The alcohol is hardly noticeable especially since it's an 11%.
M. Medium body with light to medium carbonation.
D. With flavor like a tripel/more complex mead and only a small alcohol presence, I could drink these all night. Unfortunately have neither the beer nor the alcohol tolerance to do so.

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

1pt 9fl oz bottle poured into a tulip · fridge temp · probably 2011

Appearance: Golden orange colored beer to the point that it turns brown in the widest part of the glass. An aggressive head forms as the beer shows its carbonated vigor. A seemingly bubbly head sticks around for a minute and then recedes without any lace.

Smell: Awesome and powerful. Wow. How did they get this to smell like such a fresh collection of honey? Fresh honey, dense malt, herbal hops, and a tad bit of juniper in there too. Such an explosion of aromatics.

Taste: A solid base of malts that includes rye, is evident in this beer. Caramel, darkened cereal grain, caramelized honey, clove, and other spices persist. Still, there is a hop presence that is earthy, along with some booze to finish it off.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, boozy, smooth, but also very herbal and intriguing. It certainly has me engaged.

Drinkability: This was a phenomenal experience. Certainly a winner here that deserves lots of contemplation. A complex brew that dignifies old world brewing, upcoming craft breweries, and the inventive attitude that brings us there.

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Belmont Station sold me this a couple days ago; a 0.5l brown glass bottle, a joint venture between Norwegian 'Nøgne Ø' and Swedish 'Dugges'. Poured to a pint glass.

"This is Sahti our way. Sahti reinvented" - Nøgne Ø label.

S: A hazy copper-tan, capped with nearly 2-fingers of pillowy eggshell white cream. Held to light, there's a load of sediment, everything from the fine/silty kind to the chunky/mildly disgusting stuff. healthy rising carbonation,

S: Ahhh, the closest thing I liken this to is 'Houblon Chouffe' - the perfect (in my nose) melding of grassy/piney hops and sweet/honeyed malt. 'Belgian IPA' aroma, and that is a very good thing. I suppose the unidentifiable parts to the aroma (and, later, the taste) are the wormwood, juniper and heather. Damn if they don't smell divine.

T: Whew, huge flavor! An intense grass/honey herbalness married to just enough flowery/piney hops. Apple/pear, followed by a big grass-and-evergreen flavor. You may have read this mfar: what I got from the aroma fully translates to the taste: spiced wood, cut grass, fresh fruit. Yum.

M: Somewhat heavy (thanks 11%!), has a coating layer of both hops and wheat-y malt. Medium body, bordering on 'full'. Not quite 'syrupy', but getting close.

D: Despite a lofty ABV, this has surprising drinkability. Falls right into my palate range for 'awesome': beautifully balanced, bright and clean, alcohol level hidden, and so on. If this is $9 then gladly will I pay it: delicious and crave-able.

Thanks to Nøgne Ø/Dugges for helping to revive a nearly forgotten style...and thanks to Mom for her 100% Swedish ancestry, to which I'll give huge credence to for making this so damn likable. D. E. L. I. C. I. O. U. S.

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

This is fun. Pours a dark amber with clouding, smells of fig jam and spice and honey. Tastes of old Nordic warriors, bananas, fruit, herbs and spice. Honey stands out, as does a funky yeast.

Mouth is thin for an 11%, lots of simple sugars in the brewing. This is a finely drinkable brew.

I like this, I want more of this inside me.

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - 4 - Soft translucent rosy amber. Fizzy tan head that dissipates quickly.

S - 4.5 - Lovely, prominent, malty honey smell exclusively. This smells so deliciously good.

T - 4.5 - Lovely malt with the saturation dial cranked up, and rich honey sweetness. Reminds me almost exactly of when I used to eat my Raisin Bran as a kid and would drizzle thick streams of honey over it after I poured the milk. I can't tell if there's a hint of spice here or if it's the prominent booze fumes or the spritzy carbonation or a combination of all three, but something gives it a real zing. I was expecting this to taste like a giant mouthful of gin thanks to the juniper twigs, but really I'm struggling to detect those notes at all.

M - 4.25 - I was expecting a sharp, piney beer, with an accompanying thinner mouthfeel for max sharpness, but instead I've got something with a lovely velvety mouthfeel. It's north of medium bodied and feels so good to pull into the mouth.

O - 4.25 - Firstly, I love this brewery and secondly, I want to try all beer styles. So I bought this one and figured it would be my only Sahti ever based on my expectation of the pine tree it would taste like. I have kind of been dreading cracking this open and figured I'd dislike it. But I'm so glad I did, because instead I've gotten something that comes across much more like a lovely English-style Old Ale, with a wonderfully delicious honey base. What a treat. Nogne O does it again. I don't think I would call this beer complex, but the honey-malt combo is so delicious that it gets a pass. MAN it's delicious.

I googled to find the serving temperature recommendation and it said about 40 degrees, but based on the thick rich sweetness of it, I figured it would be better closer to room temperature. So I left he last third to warm up. For once I think I was wrong. I think it was actually a good bit better colder. The taste is so strong it doesn't get wiped out by the cold.

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - One finger of white head on a slightly hazy, copper-orange body. The foam settles quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Sugary toasted and caramel malt with some red apple yeast notes; reminiscent of and english ale. Big, sweet orange-blossom honey notes and some undefinable herbal notes as well, presumably juniper.

T - Huge malt and (more especially) honey sweetness up front. Rich, floral, spicy unique honey flavors, just like those in the nose, but even more potent. Spicy rye/wheat malt in the middle with a hint of herbal european hops and a bit of juniper. The finish is quite sweet, though there is a definite hop and juniper presence there to keep the malt and honey from going over the edge into cloying sweetness. The honey lingers of the palate and blends with the malt and spice to create a darkening of flavors that leaves a bit of toffee and tobacco teasing the palate until the next sip.

M - Medium-thick body, moderately high carbonation, and a sweet but not unbalanced finish.

D - Wow, this is not at all what I expected; but wow. The juniper is quite subtle, enhancing and contrasting the dominant (and extraordinary) honey and malt flavors but never coming to the front. There is a great deal of complexity here and a richness that lends this beer to sipping and reminds me in a strange and very positive way of some of the better english old ales and barleywines. I have no idea if this would age well (and likely no opportunity to find out), but it does make me wonder.

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

This is my first Sahti and certainly not my last. This is the best, most drinkable, 11% ABV you will find. It is a very complex brew. It pours an orangy amber color with a smallish white slightly creamy head. There is sediment in this beer and lots of small particulates floating about. There is some lacing going on around the edges. The nose is super sweet maltiness and it reminds me of some of the more substantial Belgian Tripels that are available. There is a honeyed sweetness and a sweet herbal quality that is slightly difficult to pin down from the nose alone.

This beer is full bodied, thick, slightly carbonated, and a bit syrupy. It has the candied sugars of a Belgian with lots of honey, lots of herbal grassiness, loads of sweet malts. The brewer uses Belgian yeasts, which are no surprise given the slight prickliness on the tongue, and there is juniper and heather used as well. There is very little hop in this beer and it is a strong and close relative to a Belgian Tripel or Quad. There is a slight tanginess to the beer, maybe a touch of tangerine. It is a very good sipping beer, with lots of complexity. There is some warming ABV on the back end but zero throaty burn and no real aftertaste or aftershock with this one. The rye and wheat add to the pricklishness without detracting from the sweetness. You can taste a hint of some rye dryness on the back end, but it really buried underneath lots of sweeter malts. This is a real find and worth seeking out. L'Chaim.

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

A - orange, cloudy, suspended yeast visible
S - yeasty, musty, orange peel, herbaceous, nutty
T - honey, hops, herbs, slight hops, maybe some apricot on the finish
M - heavy, creamy mouthfeel, slight efervescence
D - Too high alcohol and heavy to drink a lot of, but it's definitely complex and interesting enough to enjoy again.

bottle, brasserie V scandanavian tasting

appearance: served in a belgian snifter - light straw-apricot body, beige crest

smell: potent fresh honey, extraordinarily floral, belgian yeast, citrus peel

taste: really excited to see this beer on the list (8 extremely healthy pours of expensive scandanavian beer for $22 - thanks BV!) - strong waves of honey, very floral, yeasty and well spiced, light citrus. Rare style - almost mead-like, very cool

mouthfeel: creamy medium body, crisp carbonation

drinkability: nice

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

I've had DFH Sah'tea - while good, I did want to get a more traditional take on the style. Not that I think this is it, mind you, but I still expect this to be good.

Poured into my Leffe goblet, it pours an attractive clear gold. Good head, easily roused. In a drinking vessel like this, it could easily be mistaken for a Belgian pale.

Wow - one hell of a nose on this beer. Huge honey, but not really like sniffing a jar of plain honey you get from the supermarket that comes in a plastic bear container. Hell no, this smells like the expensive raw unheated wildflower honey you get at Whole Foods. I don't get too much of a sense of the botanicals in here, so strong is the honey aroma.

Like most beers that have been brewed with a crapload of honey, Sahti is extremely crisp and mostly dry, with all those fermentable sugars gobbled up. I get very much of the essence of honey, with very little if any of the associated sweetness. This allows for the botanicals to come through on the palate. Strong taste of juniper berries and also a fair bit of bitterness perceived from the Artemis maritima herb, which I am guessing is some relative of Artemisia absinthium (wormwood). Indeed, the taste is dominated by juniper and wormwood - very gin-like beer for the most part, with some echo of absinthe. Spicy alcohol somewhat noticeable from time to time, which makes sense as this is 11%. This is a complicated, interesting beverage.

I like the crisp, lively mouthfeel. You wouldn't think this is some big thick 11% beer.

Well, I am a big fan of this, but if you don't like gin, or a strong essence of honey in your beer, I would definitely steer clear. This isn't a simple "brewed with spices" beer - no, no, the botanicals are not relegated to a supporting role here. Highly suggested for fans of honey, gin, or absinthe. I'd like to have this as a Sahti staple in my fridge.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Hazy amber color with a two finger off white head which clings to the glass and leaves nice lacing. Smells of Juniper twigs, honey, yeast, and some spices I can't identify.

The taste is sweet and there is sugar, honey, juniper, and various spices present which work together very nicely. Medium bodied, somewhat sticky mouthfeel. Nice carbonation. This is my first Sahti, and I like this one a lot. I saw a few more bottles on the shelf when I grabbed this one. I should go back and clean them out.

4.3/5  rDev +12%

A really fantastic and unique beer. It's nothing like the only Sahti I've had (which came in a plastic bottle with a screw cap). This one is a really solid beer which could please a wide audience.

Pours a cloudy orange to amber beer with a small white head. It sticks around remarkably well without any hops in there.

The smell is very strong with honey, particularly the robust chestnut and buckwheat honeys. You can smell the herbs, though I'm not familiar with them to say what's what. Very earthy.

The taste has the same notes as the aroma, with a strong honey flavor. It's not overly sweet, though - there is some bitterness mixed in there. It's very complex, suggesting all sorts of things from blueberries to pine. Sweet finish with a bit of an herbal aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly thin - the bottle says 11% ABV... really? There's hardly any hint of alcohol flavor or feel in here. It's a surprising and pleasant drinking beer.

4.3/5  rDev +12%

A: A ruby tinted honey color with nice steady light carbonation and a light head that dissipates relatively quickly. The second pour into my tulip leads to a much cloudier beer.

S: The nose is almost all honey when I first pour the beer cold. As the beer warms up the alcohol comes through strongly afterward. Once warmed up, a moderately long sniff can lead to some unpleasantly strong alcohol in the nose. Short sniffs are still dominated by honey, however.

T: The juniper comes up front with an alcohol heat following it up. Honey notes follow with a taste I must assume comes from the wormwood, a bitter quality that then slides back into a lingering honey. A very complex, unique, and tasty beer.

M: Like watered down honey, a nice thickness with just a little less carbonation than desired.

D: A slow drinking beer. Very enjoyable the entire time. Certainly could have had another but probably no more after that. A thoroughly enjoyable and unique beer.

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

500 ml bottle brought to a very eclectic tasting at inflatablehair's house... Thanks for hosting Sam... Ditmier (I think put this into the mix).... If I'm wrong, somebody let me know right away.

A very muddy orange poured into my small La Trappe glass..

I was befuddled for a long time with this one.. Molly mentioned to Eric that she smelled honey, and things sorta came full circle for this one.

The nose has a ton of honey essence.. juniper ... I love lavender.. but I think I'm making it up.. sorta smells like a hospital... not bad.. just what I thought.

Out of the gate... this reminds me of an herbal tea with a bunch of honey.. a weird grassy medicinal quality that I'm having a problem with.. not a "real" problem... just a "how do I describe this" problem.. phenolic notes that could actually be the herbs in the brew....

Good body and sooo much more interesting than the DFH... Damn glad I got to try this one.. Thanks Eric, I could see how this bottle would be addictive.... I want to taste it again soon just so I can experience the weirdness of it .. but just too sweet for me overall.

Edit: Jesus... seriously... 11%... I never.... NEVER would have guessed.... I was thinking 7-8... wow.. I'm impressed.

Sahti from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S