Sahti - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

SahtiSahti

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Sahti |  11.00% ABV

A cooperation between Norewgian brewery Nøgne Ø and Swedish brewery Dugges, this is their interpretation of the traditional Finnish style.

Brewed with malt, hops, rye, wheat, sea wormwood, juniper twigs, honey and yeast from Belgium, Germany and Britain.

(Beer added by: Sigmund on 12-02-2008)

1.5/5  rDev -60.9%

1.93/5  rDev -49.7%

A - Golden amber colour with two fingers of eggshell, creamy head with good retention. OK lace.

S - Very intense nose. And very unpleasant. There are the expected juniper twigs and dark berries (blackberries, raspberries) but as if they were totally covered in vomit. Like if my dog had been eating a bush and then followed it up with a meal of strong industrial cleaner and chucked it all up. Add a sweaty feet character and you have it.

T - Thankfully a lot more agreeable (if I hold my nose). Pine needle, honey, juniper, spice and some booze.

M - Quite tart and warming. Moderate carbonation, medium bodied.

O - Tough one to judge. I wanted to like this, but the smell had me dry retching. I just couldnt get past it so I had to drain pour about half and quickly open something else. I cannot see myself going for another sahti in the future, and certainly not this one.

2.23/5  rDev -41.9%

When I opened my bottle of this, it just started bubbling out....and kept bubbling....and bubbling...I feel like I lost a good deal of the beer just opening it. Sigh.

Pours a dark sort of amber/orange with a nice off-white head that slowly fades away leaving some lacing. I'm not some good carbonation and ton of weird looking sediment at the bottom of my glass.

Smell is a strong floral one. Smells a bunch like flowers, fruits, and various herbs and spices. Very pleasing.

Taste is really subdued. Kinda sweet. Mostly tasting just honey. Really disappointing.

Mouthfeel is pretty full-bodied with good carbonation. Par for the course.

Overall, this isn't comparable at all to the only other sahti I've hd (DFH). I'm thinking more likely than not, I just got an odd bottle of this. Sigh. Maybe I'll be able to get another bottle of this that isn't so wacky.

2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

I really do not understand how this beer has a B+.. Granted, I feel bad saying how much I disliked it (especially considering that I often like Nogne a lot), but the flavors and aroma to this beer were just soo weird that I found it quite unpleasant. The smell was like flowers and ammonia.. like urine. Honey, fruit, flowers and urine. The pour is nice, an amber-copper with thin white head. Taste is very complex and interesting but very flowery. Very strong juniper and sye. Not floral like hops, just flowery like fragrance. Also quite sweet. Its very strange. Mouth is fairly avg with a moderate body. Drink isn't heavy or such and body-wise its easy to drink, but I just cannot get past the aroma and flavor and I drain-poured it.

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

The colour is red-orange-brown; the liquid is very cloudy. The finger thick head sinks quickly to an off-white layer. No lacing.

The smell is yeasty and sweet with some Belgian notes of exotic fruits and orange peels.

The taste is very strong and a bit lemon-sour. Earthy/yeasty notes and a chemical flavour of alcohol and solvents. Broth and sweet exotic fruits; mostly oranges but also some apricots. The quite mild aftertaste got fruity flavours - mixed citric fruits, some spices, a quickly passing bitterness, rye bread and quite a lot of warming alcohol. Dough and lemons in the finish.

The carbonation is strong; the sharp bubbles are very small. The liquid is a bit thick and sticky.

If I didn't know what this was, I would have guessed "a Frensh bière de garde with some lemon peels". I found this one too heavy and... unfinished. Besides, where are the juniper berries?

2.95/5  rDev -23.2%

Rich foam, which collapses pretty quickly, At first the smell is much like a Belgian spontaneously fermented beer, but after a while the honey aroma dominates. The taste is rather sweet, again with honey. Reminds me of meed, but even if there is no hops in this beer, there is a slight bitterness, which I guess comes from the juniper berries. Rather interesting beer, and I am an experience richer for trying it. But I'll probably not drink it again.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Thanks, Nick. Medium amber body, lightly hazy with a half-inch cap. Sweet honey aroma, herbal and botanical, floral, rich. Smells pretty good. Very sweet on the tongue, up-front honey with floral and herbal notes. Juniper is present, but resides behind the honey. Sweet and botanical finish with light lingering fruitiness. Not bad, I couldn't drink a ton of this, but it's fairly enjoyable.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Hazy orange colour, white head. Little to no lacing.

Flowery smell with strawberries. There are also some sharp, acidic tones to the smell.

The taste leaves something to be desired. There is little evidence of the juniper and the wormwood other than some bitterness. It is balanced though and the alcohol is rather well hidden.

The mouthfeel is relatively sweet and pleasantly dry and it is also rather drinkable but not something I would buy again.

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

Not too interesting nor drinkable. Spicey aroma, floral. Cloudy fruity colour. Yeast in taste with a mild pepper and mildly astringent juniper, taste even moderated by the honey, subdued fruit. Passable.Easy average mouthfeel, little carbonation.Odd.

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

Nøgne Ø Sahti is a cloudy, very lively, amber brew with a thick, soft, smooth, off white head that has outstanding retention and lacing It has a strong honey aroma. Yeah, just honey-- really strong. It's quite light bodied and very lively with a very clean, dry finish. It has lots of honey flavor. It's lightly sweet and quite bitter. It tastes estery, like a Belgian ale, and a little soapy. The juniper is pretty strong at the finish. There's a hot alcohol aftertaste. I've never tasted anything like this so I have no idea how to gauge it. It's pretty bizarre. It kind of tastes like Thunder Blue snus.

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

500ml from Hyde Park.

A: Murky orangeade pour. Nearly no head or lacing.

S: Pungent acidic notes, kinda funky smelling. Lots of difference spices.

T/M: Lots of spices with very little hops. Medium malts. I know there's supposed to be a lot of spices but it's a bit too much for me. Medium light body with medium carbonation.

D: 11% is very surprising.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a pint glass
A: Moderate pour yield 1 finger of fizzy off-white head with good retention. Hazy cloudy amber with chunks :-( When I poured remainder of bottle later on, lots of yeast came out with the rest of the bottle.
S: Apple cider vinegar or white balsamic vinegar, slight sherry. Juniper maybe...but it's a stretch.
T: Honey is up front and lasts. Heat, some breadiness, not terribly herbal as I would expect a sahti to be. Juniper? Hard to stomach as it seems hodgepodge and vinegary. A jumbled braggot maybe. I'm wishing for the herbal character of a sahti! After this beer warmed it became much better, and was as follows: some roastiness/earthiness is apparent and probably from the roused yeast. Braggot characteristics meld and become quite nice for that style. Still not much of a sahti. Maybe it includes the ingredients, but not the flavor. Before it warmed, I was leaning towards 1.0. Now I brought it up to a 3.5.
M: Bright, tart, with chewiness. A little heat, but not much for an 11% beer.
O: Pretty good. I wouldn't order another or buy again, but I fairly enjoyed it.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

3.28/5  rDev -14.6%

500 mL bottle, always up for trying another version of this rare and medieval style, great bottle design,

A: Pours a yeasty, hazy brown with a fizzy white head, very good retention, but not a lot to look at, very unfiltered.

S: Herbs, some green fruit, a lot of honey, a very interesting nose. Really a joy to smell, the high point of the beer for me.

T: Quite complex, rye bread spice, brown malt/sugar come out with some herbal juniper and honey in the mid-palate. Very boozy and phenolic in the finish, the alcohol takes over the beer in the end. I like the complexities this beer brings to the table, but in the end it just doesn't taste great, it tastes okay for me. The booze completely goes haywire.

M: Very boozy and hot as I said, it has a nice smoothness, but a thin finish. Quite full-bodied.

D: I think the problem with this beer for me, while well made and interesting, is that they tried to make a Sahti 11%. The flavours in the beer just can't stand up to that much alcohol, even with the mead-like characteristics of the honey. Nevertheless, I think it's worth a purchase since it is a very rare style and the complexities are intriguing, but at the end of the day I'm not going to go back to it especially at the $9 price-tag.

3.38/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: Murky golden orange color with a 1/2 inch of head and some good carbonation.

Smell: Has a perfume scent with a sour tinge.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very interesting flavor. Tasting the juniper berries...very strong. Has a deep alcohol flavor. Has the taste of the "sea" in it. Very unique flavors that i can't quite put my finger on. Very earthy, as well. Not sure how i really feel about this beer. Alcohol is very strong in this one.

Drinkability: I appreciate the uniqueness of this beer but I'm a little disappointed by it. The alcohol is so rich in it that it's almost unbearable. I usually love all of Nøgne Ø stuff...but this collaboration doesn't rank as high as others. I guess you can't win them all.

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%

A solid pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a three-finger thick, lightly tan colored head. The beer is an amber hue that shows a lightly hazed, pale amber hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells strongly of honey and there seems to be a sort of dusty malt character towards the finish. The honey is really dominant and it is hard to smell anything else, no matter how hard I try.

Fairly sweet tasting, though not as intensely so as the aroma would suggest. A light tartness kicks in towards the middle and the beer finishes with a honey flavor that lingers on the palate in that sort of medicinal way that honey does. My second sip seems a bit more dominated by the honey flavors, though still not as much as the aorma was. A solid pale grain character is here, which contributes to some of the sweetness and there is also a grassy, sort of biscuit like grain character. Some herbal notes and perhaps some menthol like, turpene leaning notes hint at the juniper twigs. The finish has a very light orange accent to it as well. This is definitely a bit aggressively carbonated; this likely helps to lighten the sticky body a touch as I don't seem to mind that this is fairly fizzy. This beer does hide its alcohol quite well, other than being fairly thick textured there isn't much in the way of alcohol heat, so you might not guess that this is 11%.

Another interesting interpretation of a Sahti, one of these days I am going to have to track down a good traditional one, but until then I continue to not really be able to get into the interpretations that I can find.

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

A special twist on the Finnish style Sahti, brewed at Nøgne Ø in cooperation between Dugges Brewery, Sweden, and Nøgne Ø of Norway. Brewed with rye and wheat, sea wormwood from the Swedish archipelago, juniper twigs from the Norwegian forests, honey from heather flowers in Telemark and three selected yeast strains from Belgium, Germany and Britain, and of course, some malt and hops too.

500 ml bottle, courtesy of Cardinal Pub & Bar, Stavanger. ABV is 11%. Deep golden colour, slightly hazy / honeyish, with a big off-white head. Very nice aroma of juniper, heather honey and hops. The mouthfeel is rich, warming and alcoholic. The flavour has loads of honey (too much) and malty sweetness. Notes of juniper too, very moderate bitterness. Interesting, but too sweet. A fairly nice sipping beer all the same.

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

500 ml Bottle from Hyde Park Wine & Spirits

Served at 55 in a tulip stem. The color is a thick and rusty. A murky brown, that surprisingly, is not at all see through.

A somewhat warm and spicy scent, with a gentle pine and juniper presence, not overwhelming. Small head, you keep expecting to smell some hops here.

A remarkably smooth pull from this glass for the strength hiding within. A very pleasant rich taste is not overdone at all with the earthy ingredients. The light honey sweetness is nice, and for the potency, is very well done. There is a fuminess of this that cut right to the brain, perhaps thats the wormwood... hmmm.

It makes me wonder about setting one of these back to calm the alcohol in this. This is certainly a supper, but we probably saw that a mile away.

While there isn't really anything that makes me want to drink this frequently, I am quite pleased to try such a unique brew, and to have a little taste of my Swedish heritage. Well done.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

- Malt beverage brewed with juniper twigs, artemis, maritime, and honey.

A: Poured a burnt honey-orange with a frothy 1 finger dull white head that was moderately lasting at best leaving a patchy covering. There was a slight haziness as well a steady strong showering of carbonation, composed of micro bubbles that rose at a rapid rate. Overall a good coloring and haziness making for a generally good appearance.

S: The nose opened up with some herbal scents of pine cones and wildflowers. There was a musky scent of wet leaves as well. The juniper twigs contributed an earthy dry feel of twigs and fresh bark. There was however a noticeable odd aroma of vinyl/plastic that was unpleasant. Soggy citrus notes of orange peels with a damp,musty nature rounds things out here with mixed feelings.

T: The flavor starts off with strong notes of sweet honey with musky damp oranges and a slightly acidic nature. The juniper berries come in tasting almost like tart blueberries. There was pine cones, and a herbal spiciness of sage and basil coming through midway through the palate. There was as well a good deal of yeastiness, sour dough as well a light underlying smokiness of kindling. The beer finishes up with a dried honey sweetness and a dry almost gin like warming. This is only my second sahti style beer, the other being dogfishhead's Sah'tea. Overall I feel this is more true per style then DFH with an old world feel, but I enjoyed the DFH more.

M: slick with a light watery honey consistency. Not much else was going on here.

D: Drinkability was average, but guessing decent per style. The taste is quite odd but does get more manageable as the drink progresses, but still comes with a little fight going down. Honestly this is quite an odd style of beer that was intriguing but may be a little much to consume at one time both volume and alcohol wise 11%. I would recommend splitting with a friend and you might enjoy the experience a bit more.

Chilled bottle, 1 pt 9 fl oz; poured into a tulip

Appearance: Bottle overflowed when opened from overactive carbonation. Initially poured with a thick head that thinned very quickly leaving a copper-brown liquid.

Smell: Honey scent is VERY present with a little bit of spice (clove, maybe?) and a mild scent of pine.

Taste: A hoppy-malt base, caramel, honey, earthiness, dark brown sugar, alcohol is present at the end

Mouthfeel: Prickily carbonation, sticky flavor

Overall: Nice honey brew and excellent complexity. While I appreciate everything that is going on in this beer, I'm not sure if this is something that I would open every night. Honey, for the most part, masks the incredible strength of the beer.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

500ml bottle poured into a tulip. Solid finger of off-white frothy head sitting on medium, hazy, burnt orange body. Excellent retention and full, sticky lacing. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma is very full of spices. Honey is predominant, but wormwood, juniper, and spicy rye are all fully evident. Slightly sour yeastiness and caramel malts are also noticeable.

The complicated aroma does not translate quite as well into flavor. Very sweet and sour. Honey completely overwhelms and the only other things that are noticeable are a sharp alcohol flavor and the wormwood.

Medium-bodied and soft carbonation. Very smooth mouthfeel.

Overall, this was drinkable although a bit sweet, but fairly unremarkable and unmemorable. I generally try to rate with style in mind, but in the case of Sahti, I am completely clueless.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

This beer pours a hazy pale amber colour with nice carbonation that leaves a one finger head that forms into a thin layer across the top of the glass and stays,it has a dominant aroma of honey laden flowers almost like u have just put ur nose to a daffodil flower the dominant floral aroma is definately the strongest i have smelt ever,and the taste is definately different with flavours of honey,flowers and spicy grainish yeasts def a new taste for me it has an average mouthfeel and suprisingly enough the ABV is well hidden for a beer of 11%,glad ive tried a true sahti just prefer my hop driven beers and the floral aroma/taste is very dominant i think so drinkability for me is average.

Sahti from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S