Sahti - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

SahtiSahti

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Sahti |  11.00% ABV

A cooperation between Norewgian brewery Nøgne Ø and Swedish brewery Dugges, this is their interpretation of the traditional Finnish style.

Brewed with malt, hops, rye, wheat, sea wormwood, juniper twigs, honey and yeast from Belgium, Germany and Britain.

(Beer added by: Sigmund on 12-02-2008)

4.11/5  rDev +7%

1.5/5  rDev -60.9%

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - 4 - Soft translucent rosy amber. Fizzy tan head that dissipates quickly.

S - 4.5 - Lovely, prominent, malty honey smell exclusively. This smells so deliciously good.

T - 4.5 - Lovely malt with the saturation dial cranked up, and rich honey sweetness. Reminds me almost exactly of when I used to eat my Raisin Bran as a kid and would drizzle thick streams of honey over it after I poured the milk. I can't tell if there's a hint of spice here or if it's the prominent booze fumes or the spritzy carbonation or a combination of all three, but something gives it a real zing. I was expecting this to taste like a giant mouthful of gin thanks to the juniper twigs, but really I'm struggling to detect those notes at all.

M - 4.25 - I was expecting a sharp, piney beer, with an accompanying thinner mouthfeel for max sharpness, but instead I've got something with a lovely velvety mouthfeel. It's north of medium bodied and feels so good to pull into the mouth.

O - 4.25 - Firstly, I love this brewery and secondly, I want to try all beer styles. So I bought this one and figured it would be my only Sahti ever based on my expectation of the pine tree it would taste like. I have kind of been dreading cracking this open and figured I'd dislike it. But I'm so glad I did, because instead I've gotten something that comes across much more like a lovely English-style Old Ale, with a wonderfully delicious honey base. What a treat. Nogne O does it again. I don't think I would call this beer complex, but the honey-malt combo is so delicious that it gets a pass. MAN it's delicious.

I googled to find the serving temperature recommendation and it said about 40 degrees, but based on the thick rich sweetness of it, I figured it would be better closer to room temperature. So I left he last third to warm up. For once I think I was wrong. I think it was actually a good bit better colder. The taste is so strong it doesn't get wiped out by the cold.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a pint glass, the beer was a cloudy color with a soft white head. The head dissolved rather quickly to leave a white lacing around the sides of the glass. In the aroma, one immediately notices the juniper, making me think of a gin and tonic. At the same time, the nose also reveals a strong dose of honey that puts a sweet edge on the juniper. This is not like the sahtis I have tasted in the past. On the initial taste, honey and biscuit come to the forefront with the bubbles quickly brushing this away. A mild sense of fruitiness is detectable. As the carbonation mellows the juniper sours the honey in the aftertaste. In the bigger sense, the carbonation might be too aggressive as the sweetness fades too quickly into the sour. At the same time, the sour of the juniper at the end is the best aspect of the taste. I am unable to saw that this is my favorite sahti, but it is among the best.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a pint glass
A: Moderate pour yield 1 finger of fizzy off-white head with good retention. Hazy cloudy amber with chunks :-( When I poured remainder of bottle later on, lots of yeast came out with the rest of the bottle.
S: Apple cider vinegar or white balsamic vinegar, slight sherry. Juniper maybe...but it's a stretch.
T: Honey is up front and lasts. Heat, some breadiness, not terribly herbal as I would expect a sahti to be. Juniper? Hard to stomach as it seems hodgepodge and vinegary. A jumbled braggot maybe. I'm wishing for the herbal character of a sahti! After this beer warmed it became much better, and was as follows: some roastiness/earthiness is apparent and probably from the roused yeast. Braggot characteristics meld and become quite nice for that style. Still not much of a sahti. Maybe it includes the ingredients, but not the flavor. Before it warmed, I was leaning towards 1.0. Now I brought it up to a 3.5.
M: Bright, tart, with chewiness. A little heat, but not much for an 11% beer.
O: Pretty good. I wouldn't order another or buy again, but I fairly enjoyed it.

Sahti from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S