Sahti - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

SahtiSahti

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Sahti |  11.00% ABV

A cooperation between Norewgian brewery Nøgne Ø and Swedish brewery Dugges, this is their interpretation of the traditional Finnish style.

Brewed with malt, hops, rye, wheat, sea wormwood, juniper twigs, honey and yeast from Belgium, Germany and Britain.

(Beer added by: Sigmund on 12-02-2008)
3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle courtesy of proteus93 and split with a few others at a tasting. Poured in to a tulip.

Appearance: I got the tail end of this one, so mine was thick, yeasty, slightly chunky, and hazed. The first pour was a nice golden-hue, a little darker than I'd have expected, capped by one-finger of relatively fast fading, alcohol-retarded, complete with a few blobs of erratic, slightly runny lacing.

Aroma: Huge honey-like malts, spoiled peaches - canned, really, as Dan says, bringin' me back to elementary school - and strong, spicy, solventy alcohol. Almost like acetone or some other lab-esque chemical. The smell is easily the worst aspect of this beer, but there's still a lot of pleasant notes buried under the surface here which make it somewhat inviting and enjoyable.

Taste: A heavily spiced, slightly phenolic, imperial hefeweizen is what I'm getting here. Heavy piney, sprucey, juniper, with only faint hints of the solventy acetone evident in the nose. Sweet, honey-like malt notes, tons of cloves, and - again - tons of juniper and pine. A few citrusy notes here - less peach-like than the aroma and more orange-esque. A faint nutty note from the yeast, as well, which adds a Belgian-esque element. Very green, woody, sweet, and citrusy.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy, but with a fair amount of imbedded carbonation, which actually does a fair amount of cutting through the thickness.

Drinkability: At 11%, nothing's really terrible drinkable. This one has enough downsides due to the high alcohol and not less-than-evident alcohol to take it down a few pegs, but it also has enough interesting and unique aspects to somehow make me keep coming back for a few more.

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Belmont Station sold me this a couple days ago; a 0.5l brown glass bottle, a joint venture between Norwegian 'Nøgne Ø' and Swedish 'Dugges'. Poured to a pint glass.

"This is Sahti our way. Sahti reinvented" - Nøgne Ø label.

S: A hazy copper-tan, capped with nearly 2-fingers of pillowy eggshell white cream. Held to light, there's a load of sediment, everything from the fine/silty kind to the chunky/mildly disgusting stuff. healthy rising carbonation,

S: Ahhh, the closest thing I liken this to is 'Houblon Chouffe' - the perfect (in my nose) melding of grassy/piney hops and sweet/honeyed malt. 'Belgian IPA' aroma, and that is a very good thing. I suppose the unidentifiable parts to the aroma (and, later, the taste) are the wormwood, juniper and heather. Damn if they don't smell divine.

T: Whew, huge flavor! An intense grass/honey herbalness married to just enough flowery/piney hops. Apple/pear, followed by a big grass-and-evergreen flavor. You may have read this mfar: what I got from the aroma fully translates to the taste: spiced wood, cut grass, fresh fruit. Yum.

M: Somewhat heavy (thanks 11%!), has a coating layer of both hops and wheat-y malt. Medium body, bordering on 'full'. Not quite 'syrupy', but getting close.

D: Despite a lofty ABV, this has surprising drinkability. Falls right into my palate range for 'awesome': beautifully balanced, bright and clean, alcohol level hidden, and so on. If this is $9 then gladly will I pay it: delicious and crave-able.

Thanks to Nøgne Ø/Dugges for helping to revive a nearly forgotten style...and thanks to Mom for her 100% Swedish ancestry, to which I'll give huge credence to for making this so damn likable. D. E. L. I. C. I. O. U. S.

4.3/5  rDev +12%

A: A ruby tinted honey color with nice steady light carbonation and a light head that dissipates relatively quickly. The second pour into my tulip leads to a much cloudier beer.

S: The nose is almost all honey when I first pour the beer cold. As the beer warms up the alcohol comes through strongly afterward. Once warmed up, a moderately long sniff can lead to some unpleasantly strong alcohol in the nose. Short sniffs are still dominated by honey, however.

T: The juniper comes up front with an alcohol heat following it up. Honey notes follow with a taste I must assume comes from the wormwood, a bitter quality that then slides back into a lingering honey. A very complex, unique, and tasty beer.

M: Like watered down honey, a nice thickness with just a little less carbonation than desired.

D: A slow drinking beer. Very enjoyable the entire time. Certainly could have had another but probably no more after that. A thoroughly enjoyable and unique beer.

2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

I really do not understand how this beer has a B+.. Granted, I feel bad saying how much I disliked it (especially considering that I often like Nogne a lot), but the flavors and aroma to this beer were just soo weird that I found it quite unpleasant. The smell was like flowers and ammonia.. like urine. Honey, fruit, flowers and urine. The pour is nice, an amber-copper with thin white head. Taste is very complex and interesting but very flowery. Very strong juniper and sye. Not floral like hops, just flowery like fragrance. Also quite sweet. Its very strange. Mouth is fairly avg with a moderate body. Drink isn't heavy or such and body-wise its easy to drink, but I just cannot get past the aroma and flavor and I drain-poured it.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Opaque light orange brew. It has more head that I imagined this style of Beer should have. For some reason I had the preconception that Sahti was flatter than this. That's why we drink 'em!

Smell: Pronounced honey aroma, not unsimilar to Polish meads like Jadwiga (spelling?). The honey seems to come from a very floral source. This isn't clover honey for sure.

Taste: With a smell like that, you'd think this Beer would be cloying as hell. Not at all, at least not to the level I expected. The rye is what really comes on strong and gives flavors of baked goods. Especially when the flowery come play around your tongue, it's like a slice of some kind of east european dessert bread. For such a rich and complex brew, I was astonished by how well it drank. But what really floored us was the 11% ABV. Very interesting Beer from a brewery that seldom dissapoints.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy golden color with a large, and growing off-white head that had excellant retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass.

The aroma is completely different from any beer I have consumed before. Very aromatic with spices. I had to look sea wormwood up and I guess it is very aromatic but no specific description. Almost smells like jasmine or other astrigent plants. Herbal and floral is a generalized descriptor. I do not pick up on any juniper which I would think should be mandatory in a Sahti.

Has an astringent flavor. The tannins have taken over. A bit gin like in flavor but I honestly cannot pick out the juniper. Has the more distilled flavor of gin. This is just a hint of sweetness right before the finish but dies instantly when the ethel alcohol takes over. There are hints of fruity esters but it is very weak. Interesting flavor but being my first Sahti I cannot say how true to style this is.

I understand Sahti's are thick and chewy in body. This one is not. Medium body but the carbonation is spot on for the size of body. Nice soft texture.

An interesting beer for sure. This one got me to expand my review wordage by a large margin so something is going on here. True to style- I am believing it is not. The big ABV and almost $10 bottle lowers drinkability.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Golden Orange, slightly cloudy (bad pour on my part as I got some of the trub in there). About a half finger head that sticks around with little lacing.

Honey, spicey/clovey honey nose - did I say it smelled like honey?

Little bit of gin/juniper taste that intensifies and lingers but mostly honey with a few other citrus fruit flavors. For me the bitterness and gin/juniper berry taste could have been stronger to offset the honey.

This really struck me as more of a braggot than a sahti although I've only had a small sip of DFHs and didn't take a lot of notes but recalled it being more juniper-y. I could drink another one of these and would seek it out but wouldn't have guessed it was 11%. It is not (IMO) something you'll down several of during the course of an afternoon/night.

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours an opaque yellow-orange colour, huge, mindfuck haze as thick and impenetrable as the mists from Hades. I mean it basically looks like homebrew trub, except for a decent - but thin - off-white head. Retains at about 1/4 inch thickness, leaves a bit of lace but not a lot. Light bead as well. Looks like a fascinating, organic drop.

Nose has a lot of hop and a fair amount of tropical fruit; pineapple, passionfruit as well as grapes. Slight hint of a herbal character and some fresh tobacco as well. Perfectly decent nose, smells fresh and pleasant.

First flavour is a distinct vanilla on the front of the palate, very sweet and descends into a fruity mélange with orange and pineapple flavours, then a very hoppy mid-to-back, quite bitter but not insanely so; it's noa stringent but has a fair amount of fresh-cut grass character and some mildly herbal phenols. Quite a lot of dryness from the quite citric acidity as well. To be honest this strikes me as having a very orange juice character, but with a distinct alcohol hit at the back.

Feel is a bit thick for my taste, it's really quite flat but very syrupy. A lot of texture, maybe too much, and a little bit drying.

This is definitely a unique drop, definitely has an odd flavour to it, almost tastes darker than it looks, and feels a little unbalanced. Maybe I should say it just feels untamed, but it's absolutely worth a drink.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a very cloudy apricot orange colour, with a really lovely fluffy head of fine and silky white foam. Lacing is good. Looks still and bulbous in my tulip glass, not very active, but not bad. In fact, it looks very thick. I have to say I heartily approve.

Fair bit of honey, with a very fragrant, probably hoppy, but given the style possible not, character. Something rich and organic as well, not dissimilar to a Belgian yeast note. Almost a smoky character coming through as well. Lots of slightly unusual characters. Not as insanely bizarre as I'd expected from my first Sahti experience, but enough oddities in the aroma to keep me guessing.

Taste is particularly odd. There's certainly more of the honey note, and the gin-like juniper note is present in a sharp pinpoint at the very back. Otherwise, the palate is full of bursting malt and light phenolic alcohol - to my mind, quite reminicent of a dry Belgian pale ale. There's just enough bitterness to tip it out of the true Belgian style profile, and the character of the bitterness is slightly different to hops, but it's very subtle. Some light citrus comes in late as well, like orange peel. Nice. Note a huge note from the rye, although there is a depth to the grain character. Mouthfeel is particularly smooth. All up, this is a very tasty brew, and a wonderful uniqueness.

A very pleasant, refreshing and surprisingly drinkable brew. I particularly liked the thickness in the body, which just makes you have to appreciate all the different flavours as you chew your way through it. You know, I was expecting to say something akin to "not a beer for everyday", but I certainly could drink this everyday. It really is terribly pleasant, and not nearly as confronting as I'd been led to believe.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a murky light copper in color. No head forms on the pour.
Smell is light fruit, mostly lemon and some kiwi. Can't quite put my finger on the flavors. Never quite experienced the flavors that I'm getting in this beer.
Decent carbonation and fairly smooth in the mouthfeel. You get a hint of the alcohol in the flavor. A little heat in the back of the throat.
A new experience. Not something that I'll seek out, but quite the experience.

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

500ml from Hyde Park.

A: Murky orangeade pour. Nearly no head or lacing.

S: Pungent acidic notes, kinda funky smelling. Lots of difference spices.

T/M: Lots of spices with very little hops. Medium malts. I know there's supposed to be a lot of spices but it's a bit too much for me. Medium light body with medium carbonation.

D: 11% is very surprising.

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

I poured this one from a 16.9oz brown bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A= This beer poured a hazed dark orange color with a ton of ongoing carbonation release and some fine particulates (I stopped short of adding the significant dregs from the bottom of the bottle). The creamy off-white head rose 3/4" and then settled to a thin but solid cap. No lace.

S= Though it was more muted than I wanted it to be, I smelled a heavy malt and honey combination with a slight hop presence later. There was also alot of spice in there too. It was somehow earthy and sweet all at once.

T= A nice blend of sweetness and spice in this one. Lots of rich malty goodness flowed hand in hand with a big honey flavor. The rye added another layer of richness and a spicy note. The juniper, flowers, and citrusy hops combined to create a leafy tea-like earthiness that complimented the sweetness well. Alcohol stayed well hidden, as the finish arrived dry and slightly bitter.

MF= Heavy side of medium bodied (from the rye I suspect) with a peppy carbonation bite. The fullness combined with this crispness was very interesting and pleasant.

D= This was my first Sahti and I am impressed. This was a complex and challenging ale that I would gladly drink again and could even see myself having two pints of in an evening.

Poured into a duvel tulip from bottle.

Nice white head drops fast, cloudy, some residual foam on the glass sticks. Super floral nose, earthy, twigs, alcohol, some funk hints, jasmine. Odd aftertaste at first, sweet, great body and mouthfill. Very drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks - first glass pours clear but not much carbonation, second one tons of carbonation but lots of particulate. Bottom of bottle completely mucky and cloudy. If you combined the clarity of the first with the carbonation/head retention from the second glass we'd be in better business.

Smell: The honey aroma is overpowering. Ripe fruits. Too ripe. Bread dough. Minty.

Mouth: Complex combination of herbs and malt. Alcohol is a bit too high and residual sugars a bit too rich, but the beer is oddly not too difficult to drink. Carbonation is good. Solid body. Honey finish undesirable. Overall is a meh.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

1 pt. .9 fl. oz. bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter.

A - Ruddy brown body with a modest head and soft lacing across the top of the brew.

S - Lots of winter spices, juniper berries (as expected), evergreen, dark honey, a slight touch of citrusy hops. Maybe even a bit of seaweed, as crazy as it sounds. There's a lot going on here - my palate isn't refined enough to pick up on the many subtleties here.

T - Slight hop bitterness up front, with a long finish that nicely melds the spicy flavors and the sweet malts. The spice seems to come from the juniper, the seaweedy flavors (again!), woodsy herbal notes, and the peppery, earthy rye flavors, while the sweetness really calls to mind dark honey.

M - While the finish is long and intriguing, the mouthfeel is a bit sticky and clumsy. The carbonation doesn't make itself known, but I suspect that higher carbonation would have dumbed down the complexity on the finish, so I'll take a bit lower carbonation here.

D - Well, I've certainly never tasted a brew anything like this. Very woodsy, sweet, and beguiling. I couldn't drink this over and over, but the evocative flavors are really fascinating. It's July in Boston, but while drinking this brew, it's not too difficult to imagine sitting next to a fireplace in a snowy, dreary night in a small Scandinavian pub. If you see this on the shelves, pick it up, for sure.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked up a single from Wilburs in Ft. Collins, not sure on the price though. 16.9 Oz Bottle.

A: Cloudy brown/gold color, lacks an actual color, kind of a transition between brown and gold, first pour looked copper, second pour looked like fresh apple cider. Very interesting. White head with pretty fair retention, pretty nice lacing.

S: Herbal, junipers, smells bitter, slightly funky as well, just a hint of barnyard, booze, everything is really fighting around for a place here, rye malt is very strong in there, very unique smelling beer.

T: Honey, pine, citrus, slightly funky and sour, the honey is very present the rye malt in there also imparts a strong flavor of rye, slightly astringent from the alcohol and wormwood as well. Really an odd beer, and I can't think of anything that I can compare it to. Truly unique.

M: Medium thickness, nice carbonation, extremely dry, and slightly hot from the alcohol.

D: Ummm, I think this would be a nice winter beer, a good change of pace, but this is truly an odd beer, I don't know much about the style, but this is just weird. I can't say that I will seek this specific beer out again, but I look forward to finding more Sahtis. Interesting.

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into two goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a hazy honey-color with the tinyest sliver of off-white head. Almost no lace is left behind and there was quite a bit of suspended sediment floating in the glass.

S: More than anything else we noticed the sweet and earthy presence of honey. Slowly, aromas of rye malt, toffee, juniper, and perfume-y wildflowers emerged.

T: Once again honey looms large here. Following close behind is caramel/toffee, spices and spicy rye, tangy juniper, and an alcohol flavor that we thought was "fruity".

M: Big and sweet, with an excellent bit of white pepper spiciness. Very clingy finish.

D: Excellent considering the heft of this. This was about 4% more than we expected but all the other stuff going on inside made for a pretty big beer that wasn't a chore to drink and very easy to enjoy.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured to a small head which stuck around for a while and an interesting, amber/brown color. Thicker body than what I was expecting, but definitely not a negative, and heavy carbonation. Sweet like honey right up front followed by a hint of rye/wheat and a big finish of Juniper Berries! Fantastic sipping beer.

~Jonathan Passow

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

500 ml Bottle from Hyde Park Wine & Spirits

Served at 55 in a tulip stem. The color is a thick and rusty. A murky brown, that surprisingly, is not at all see through.

A somewhat warm and spicy scent, with a gentle pine and juniper presence, not overwhelming. Small head, you keep expecting to smell some hops here.

A remarkably smooth pull from this glass for the strength hiding within. A very pleasant rich taste is not overdone at all with the earthy ingredients. The light honey sweetness is nice, and for the potency, is very well done. There is a fuminess of this that cut right to the brain, perhaps thats the wormwood... hmmm.

It makes me wonder about setting one of these back to calm the alcohol in this. This is certainly a supper, but we probably saw that a mile away.

While there isn't really anything that makes me want to drink this frequently, I am quite pleased to try such a unique brew, and to have a little taste of my Swedish heritage. Well done.

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

500mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a bright clear amber with tons of bubbles feeding a creamy white head that clings to glass and leaves solid lacing. FWIW, the second pour was extremely hazy and had tons of floaties...looked completely different.

The aroma is very strong and very herbal. The juniper is definitely the first thing I notice with plenty of honey sweetness and some additional herbal spices that I can't specifically identify. There is an overall earthiness to all the aromas, maybe from the rye and yeast. Very interesting.

The taste is not quite as over-the-top with the herbal tastes. There is a bit of yeasty spiciness up front with the honey and underlying malts forming a slightly sweet backbone. The juniper comes back in the finish and leaves an interesting burn in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a bracing spiciness, especially in the finish from the juniper.

Overall, a new experience for me as I've never tried a sahti before and so the uniqueness could be from trying a new style. Either way, I enjoyed it but I doubt I'll go out of my way to try it again.

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Hazy orange colour, white head. Little to no lacing.

Flowery smell with strawberries. There are also some sharp, acidic tones to the smell.

The taste leaves something to be desired. There is little evidence of the juniper and the wormwood other than some bitterness. It is balanced though and the alcohol is rather well hidden.

The mouthfeel is relatively sweet and pleasantly dry and it is also rather drinkable but not something I would buy again.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle

batch 318

Pours a honey orange yellow color, very viscous in appearence during the pour, a small but thick white head forms and hangs out during the glass. Huge nose, a bit overwhelming trying to pick this aroma apart, spices, lots of em, curry powder, safron, very ripe fruit notes, eggy, with some notes of vanilla and cinnamon, gingerbready malts, very interesting, the 3 different yeast strains used sure do confuse the nose. Slightly boozy in flavor though not quite 'hot' lots of layers in flavor, sugary sweet honey comb, strawberry stems, corn meal and 2 seperate waves of bitterness, one asusming is from the juniper the other from the hop varietals. Big full bodied beer, viscous and a sipper for sure, but a sipper i truly enjoyed. I would pick up 2 bottles, one to split with a friend in the colder months and another to hold on to for a couple of years and revisit...

3.8/5  rDev -1%

Picked up a bottle of this at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee. It's been on the "coming soon" list in Chicago but I couldn't bother waiting any longer. Served in a Red Hook pint glass.

A - Three fingers of dirty white foam that dissolves fairly quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Hazed peach/orange color that has a nice glow and tons of bubbles racing upwards. The lack of lacing and mediocre head retention were a bit of a disappointment - otherwise quite nice.

S - You can really smell the honey above everything else, but there is also plenty of toffee malt and a bit of obvious alcohol. There's a bit of light spice/herb as well, but the honey is just overwhelming (more so than most braggots I've had). Unbalanced is the only way to describe this.

T - The taste is more in line with what I expect from a Sahti (well - at least to the two others I've tried). Lots of lightly sweetened bready malt, saison-y Belgian-style yeast, honey, medicinal herbs, and a woody aftertaste from the juniper twigs. The balance is much better here, and there's plenty of depth. Also, no obvious alcohol is a plus.

M - Dry finish (like oak-heavy brews) with a bit of residual stickiness. Moderate carbonation, on the lighter side of medium bodied, with some alcohol warmth that kicks in pretty quickly.

D - The smell starts to get cloyingly sweet pretty quickly, and the 11% is a little too strong for the 500ml serving size. Thankfully the aftertaste is clean and the carbonation is moderate. I'd try this again in a more reasonable serving size, but any future bottles would have to be shared with at least one other person.

Appearance: Pours out a lightly hazed, orange-amber body with a smallish, scant, white head.

Smell: Expressly aromatic nose of fresh honeycomb, a heavy layer of herbs, young juniper seedlings, marzipan, spice, and even a few hints of alcohol.

Taste: Altogether sugary sweet taste of honey candy leads the way, but this is followed by strong, sharp herbaceousness I'll attribute in part to the wormwood. It's odd, in the span of a couple months, I went from having zero beers with wormwood in it to four. For me at this point, it somewhat harkens back to the gentian-laden Weyerbacher Decadence. Juniper presents some woody and fruity hints. Touches of spicy rye. Lightly acidic. A few slim traces of almond syrup. Blips of peppery alcohol on the backend, though nothing to denote a beverage of 11%. Dry, long finish with none of the flavors wanting to retire quietly.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Some stickiness to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Interesting and arresting, particularly as it's not everyday one comes across a sahti, particularly one so boldly and uniquely envisioned as this one. That said, this isn't a brew I would reach for on a daily basis.

Beer poured a cloudy hazy orange, looked a little like if a hefeweizen and a DIPA had a baby.

Very brilliant honey, berry sweetness, it did have that herbal medicinal tree? smell to it. Very good, my nose was on this like a stockbrokers in the 80's to a mirror.

Great taste of honey and berries, some tree and earthyness, yeast and malt round it out. This must taste like mother natures armpit sweat.

Overall a great beer, would buy this over and over crimson and clover.

Sahti from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S