Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Sahti - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

SahtiSahti

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Sahti |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Sigmund on 12-02-2008

A cooperation between Norewgian brewery Nøgne Ø and Swedish brewery Dugges, this is their interpretation of the traditional Finnish style.

Brewed with malt, hops, rye, wheat, sea wormwood, juniper twigs, honey and yeast from Belgium, Germany and Britain.
3.74/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured a dirty brown/orange with a soap ring head and lots of floaties and yeasty sediment.

The nose is very intense, very sweet and fruity with a big hit of alcohol.

The flavor is very woody and earthy with mild fruit underpinnings. The finish is very sweet and has a big hit of alcohol and juniper in the finish as well, but without being bitter.

The mouthfeel is thick and warm and very sticky leaving a long lingering feeling.

Very unusual beer, enjoyable. (464 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Thanks, Nick. Medium amber body, lightly hazy with a half-inch cap. Sweet honey aroma, herbal and botanical, floral, rich. Smells pretty good. Very sweet on the tongue, up-front honey with floral and herbal notes. Juniper is present, but resides behind the honey. Sweet and botanical finish with light lingering fruitiness. Not bad, I couldn't drink a ton of this, but it's fairly enjoyable. (391 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Murky orangeish brown as it was the bottom of the bottle. A little bit of suds around the edge of the glass with some nice cascading lace.

Very herbal and medicinal smelling. Fruity and earthy with a mix of herbs and some piney hops.

Again, pretty herbal with some green to it. Quite sweet in the form of honey. Some nice hops present citrus and pine. Getting the fruitiness of the belgian yeast especially in the finish. Pretty interesting but not real far out there as I was expecting. Tasty as an IPA.

The carbonation is nice and soft. Smooth feel with an extremely dry finish. The body is maybe medium, but no more.

As I said before, this drinks like an IPA. In no way would I guess this is eleven percent alcohol. I really think this style would be more popular if it was more readily available and a little cheaper in price. Glad to have tried it and I would have it again. (883 characters)

Style No. 100 on Beer Advocate. Only English Pale Mild, Happoshu and Gose to go.

The beer pours a hazy yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is odd, but not bad. I get notes of honey, flowers and perfume. The flavor is more of the same with a lot of honey in the beer. The flowery and spice notes in the aroma and flavor are probably from the juniper, but I am not too familiar with the plant so I cannot be sure. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure how this compares to other Sahtis, but I enjoyed this one. (535 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

For this beer I choose my favorite review glass, a Fin Du Monde Tulip. I pour the 500ml bottle into it and it reveals a orange hued copper beer with a medium sized tan head and a lot of stuff floating around in it.

The nose is complex and interesting though not entirely pleasant. Something in the nose makes me want to smell around it, I will try not to for the sake of the review. Up front is dried fruit and grain or bread. I believe the alcohol is what makes me flinch at the smell, and it seems to be dissipating as the beer warms. I have to say that if I came upon this in the wild I would likely let it go as the smell is curious, not inviting.

As it has warmed the beer exhibits smells of molasses, coriander and orange peel and the wafting alcohol mellows as does the uninviting overtones.

The taste is similarly odd and complex; sweet, tangy and fruity. I am enjoying how it counterpoises roasted garlic. I am amazed at how the sahti stands up to the potency and still has flavor to offer while the garlic seems to mellow out the off-putting smells and tame the bitterness. The finish is toffee and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation high.

I like this beer and intend to make closing notes as a later addition.

Slainte. (1,249 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A. Pours a hazy golden amber with a small off-white head that leaves amble lacing.
S. Lots of honey on the nose with some sweet malt mixed in: honey nut cheerios?
T. The flavor is instantly like a mead, but with a malty backbone and a good level of spice. The flavor is almost like a tripel with more honey and spice. The alcohol is hardly noticeable especially since it's an 11%.
M. Medium body with light to medium carbonation.
D. With flavor like a tripel/more complex mead and only a small alcohol presence, I could drink these all night. Unfortunately have neither the beer nor the alcohol tolerance to do so. (614 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

A - Poured a copper color with a thin off white head no lacing

S - Is mostly of honey and pine slightly fruity

T - Follows the nose but sweet the honey comes out strong finishes with some pine and fruit

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - While this isn't a bad beer I just don't think its a style that I'll be looking to get my hands on anytime soon again its an interesting beer but I'll pass next time (438 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9%

This review is entered from notes, but it is remembered well. This is also the first Sahti I've ever had. That being said, I will transcribe the review note verbatim.

Golden orange, small white head, gone quickly, hazy.

Aroma is very interesting to say the least. Floral, spicy, honey, and a wet dog/dog shampoo funk -> yeasty, not much juniper, musty. Weird, but not a total turn off. Baby diapers??

Taste is really "different." Tasty, dry, anise, light juniper/pine, herbal, some medicinal flavors. Minty, light booze on the back end, but hard to describe the underlying flavors/qualities.. WTF? Has some tripel-like things going on, with more honey and spice.

Overall, an interesting beer experience. Full body, alcohol present but not overpowering. Glad I split this one 3 ways. (790 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +20.4%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown1pt .9oz bottle into a tulip glass. The label has some nice info which includes ingredients, abv% (11%) and bitterness (24 ibu).

Appearance: This one wanted to get out as soon as I opened the bottle. Light beige bubbles slowly rose up from the bottle as I then tried to quickly move the bottle to the glass to catch the tasty foam. After it was poured I observed a very cloudy orange/brown colored body full of yeast sediment. In the body tiny champagne like bubbles can be seen streaming up the sides of the glass. The rushed pour produced an average, two finger tall beige head. It was made up of lightly packed foam which settled quickly and left only a very thin film on top.

Smell: The aroma is full of sweet honey notes, pine needles, bready, malts and yeast as well as some mild fruity apple skin like notes.

Taste/Palate: It has a sweet honey mead like character with loads of sweet bready yeast and fruity estery notes as well. I picked up fruity notes of apple and pear mixed with notes of pine needles and a very slight touch of citrus/pine hop bitterness. The finish is still quite sweet but there is some botanical/herbal bitterness with some very mild hop bitterness for balance. Underneath all of this is a very well hidden mellow alcohol presence. On the palate it has a firm smooth texture with soft yet active carbonation.

Notes: For me this beer was absolutely outstanding!!! (1,439 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

I have nothing with which to compare this as far as style goes, but we'll have a go at it anyway.
Pours up a very cloudy reddish orange with loads of rather large (2 - 5mm) pieces of debris floating about. Some of these actually look large enough to stab with a dinner fork. Head is slightly off-white and is about a half-inch thick blanket. So far, looks interesting and inviting.

Smell is huge honey and little else. Clearly, there are many things in this bizarre concoction, but the honey is about the only thing I can get on the nose.

Taste definitely makes up for a lack-luster smell with substantial depth and complexity. The sweetness of the honey is there and is balanced nicely by the juniper twigs and sea wormwood (artemisia maritima).
It is also interesting to note that the 11% abv shows up about 2 seconds after you swallow. Were I to guess without knowing, I'd say this was 9-ish, so the alcohol isn't as perceivable a it could be. In any case, though, it is non-existant (nearly) until you swallow.

Mouthfeel is hearty, to say the least, and even as peculiar as this odd creation is, I think it drinks nicely (all things considered). (1,153 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

bottle, brasserie V scandanavian tasting

appearance: served in a belgian snifter - light straw-apricot body, beige crest

smell: potent fresh honey, extraordinarily floral, belgian yeast, citrus peel

taste: really excited to see this beer on the list (8 extremely healthy pours of expensive scandanavian beer for $22 - thanks BV!) - strong waves of honey, very floral, yeasty and well spiced, light citrus. Rare style - almost mead-like, very cool

mouthfeel: creamy medium body, crisp carbonation

drinkability: nice (519 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

A - orange, cloudy, suspended yeast visible
S - yeasty, musty, orange peel, herbaceous, nutty
T - honey, hops, herbs, slight hops, maybe some apricot on the finish
M - heavy, creamy mouthfeel, slight efervescence
D - Too high alcohol and heavy to drink a lot of, but it's definitely complex and interesting enough to enjoy again. (329 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Bottle is a gusher, pours deep cloudy orange with a resilient white head that leaves colonies of foam around the glass. The aroma has significant amounts of honey with resinous juniper as well as berries. The alcohol content is also clearly conveyed in the aroma, it smells hot.

The flavor smacks of honey and apples primarily with a bit of tangy berry to it from the juniper. The finish brings a more woody flavor with a bit of head and caramel malts. Relatively heavy in body but still quite viscous and with a full bubbly carbonation, quite like a barleywine in this respect.

I think this style is really interesting as an experiment, at least the traditional method of producing a sahti is quite interesting. I recommend sharing this ale with friends as a celebration of obscure brewing, it has a strong flavor with honey and juniper that is quite intriguing. It would be more risky, but I would have liked this to be unhopped and 100% spiced with juniper. (964 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

Hazy amber color with a two finger off white head which clings to the glass and leaves nice lacing. Smells of Juniper twigs, honey, yeast, and some spices I can't identify.

The taste is sweet and there is sugar, honey, juniper, and various spices present which work together very nicely. Medium bodied, somewhat sticky mouthfeel. Nice carbonation. This is my first Sahti, and I like this one a lot. I saw a few more bottles on the shelf when I grabbed this one. I should go back and clean them out. (500 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%

A: The pour is a clear light golden color with a fluffy white head and plenty of visible carbonation.

S: A very floral aroma, probably from the honey, which seems to work somewhat well with an underlying tea note.

T: The floral quality is once again pronounced on the palate along with a fruity sweetness, slight tartness, and a somewhat surprising bitterness as well. There's a slight herbal note to the beer which isn't necessarily a shock due to the ingredients.

M: The body is medium with a crisp carbonation which helps out quite a bit.

D: Although the alcohol isn't necessarily noticeable, this style isn't really for me. The flavors are certainly interesting, but this is not a beer I would seek out again. (717 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a hazy honeyed gold with a good white head. Surprise, I've got lacing and even a couple of rings. Lots of cloudy sediment at the very end.

Lots of honey and flowers, some bee pollen/tea/saffron-like qualities in the nose as well.

Very unique. Mead-like, with honey and medicinal herbs, with grain husk and tons of back an forth with sweet and bitter. 11%? You be surprised if you didn't know it, because the alcohol is so well hidden. As the person who shared this with me said - I kinda like this -- it's starting to grow on me.

Decent body, and enough carbonation to make this drinkable. I've never had this style before, so I have nothing to compare it to except my palate preferences. No off flavors at all, so very much worth exploring if you want to try something new. If you expect to quaff this with a pizza, forget it. Of the odder, unique styles I've had, I like this one the most. Not something for regular consumption, but worth experiencing. (964 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

This Finnish-style ale pours a deep, sediment-laden golden color with a slight, fizzy head and minimal lacing. It reminds me quite a bit of mead or an unfiltered cider and the density of the liquid is definitely unlike most beers I've tried.

Scents of sweet honey, chamomile, spruce needles and pine permeate the air. The potpourri of floral and spices aromas also hint at mead-like characteristics, not to mention herbal tea.

Taste buffet is really unique. Think wild berry, honey and a variety of flowers that may teeter on the edge of medicinal, but more like a sweet tea than a cough syrup. A slight maltiness is also evident towards the end of the first glass.

The mouthfeel is akin to a white wine, especially the way it gracefully slides over the tongue. There's also very little alcohol flavor, even though this brew is definitely spiked.

I think what kept me coming back was the unique array of flavors, which are definitely fun to catalog sip after sip. For all those afraid to make the jump, this rare style is definitely worth it. (1,047 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +8%

My first of this style in four years of beer exploration.

This is a slow gusher that pours a nice amber color and a blanket of off-white head rests on top. Big sediment floating around, even with a slow pour, which I'm not crazy about.

The aroma has a belgiany quality, fruity and malty, reminds me of a more complex Saxo. It has a mild anise and flowery spice, damp forest floor, and definately sweet honey and toffee. Exotic with a hint of stank, alcohol shows up more as it warms.

The taste is rather sweet too. Honey, treacle, fruity Belgian yeast, a lot of things hit in the mid-palate. I can feel the 11% more than I taste it, so for me, considering the strength, it's easy to drink. The carbonation is low, making it easy for the sweetness to create a smoothness.

This isn't an everyday beer by any means, but I'm a fan, it's thought provoking and complex. (867 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Pours a deep cloudy gold with a fair bit of floating material. The head faded rather quickly to minor lacing.

S: To me, the nose of this beer is of wildflower honey. I had expected more in the way of juniper, but the honey came through loud and clear. If I were blindfolded, I'd swear this was a mead.

T: Amazingly unique. It starts off on the sweet side, but over the center, just past the middle of the tongue, there's a sudden burst of intense bitterness that slowly turns dry as the last drops slide down your throat.

M: Full bodied, but the carbonation provides a good deal of refreshment.

D: I didn't notice the alcohol at all, but it's stated at 11%, so I'd have to rate this dangerously drinkable. I had this together with Lebanese food, and the pairing absolutely blew me away. The spices in the beer picked up the spices in the food better than I had anticipated, while the carbonation and sweetness cut through the heat of the dishes. (955 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Wow I really did like the look of this beer a lot. The color is rather golden and pretty cloudy. It poured a surprisingly good, off-white head that was maybe three fingers at first, but did go down to just a thin layer after a minute. Just a little lacing, nothing special with that. There's quite a bit of yeast hanging out in the glass that floats around until it decides to go to the bottom. I was really impressed by the look of this beer.

S - Interesting. Reminds me of a wheat beer almost in the aroma. A little clove spiciness to it, with maybe a hint of orange or banana but just a hint. If you pull the spice in deep enough, it almost takes on a mild peppercorn aroma from the spice. There seemed to be maybe hints of vanilla, also, backed up by some caramel malty aroma. Definitely has a little sweetness to it, probably from the honey. Some alcohol aroma can be It's a nice aroma, but wasn't exactly what I was expecting. But I am rather unfamiliar with the style. The more I smell it, the more I think it takes on almost a Belgian tripel quality. I like it, but it's not overly impressive. It definitely is enough to make me want to drink it, though.

T - Like the smell, very interesting. The primary thing I was able to taste was the honey. It's not that it was really strong on its own, but it stood through the most. It tasted a little bit like a young and fermenting mead, if anyone is familiar. It shared the yeasty take that comes along, as well. The yeast gets a little more pronounced as you move towards the bottom of the glass, but it's nothing that throws the balance off. There was a spicy character that reminded me of nothing short of a German wheat beer, though a little different of a profile. There was a mild alcohol taste, but nothing exceptional. It did get more pronounced There seemed to be just a mild hop background to the taste. I'm not exactly familiar with some of the ingredients used in this beer, so I could be mistaking some of them for something else. It's very flavorful.

M - Retained a decent amount of the carbonation on the tongue. Otherwise it's rather smooth and flows down well.

D - Rather good drinkability. The smooth flavor and mouthfeel make it not difficult to throwing a few back. The only thing that might stop you is the ABV, but not in smell or flavor, since it is not overpowering at all in those regards. I would definitely drink this again on any occasion that I can. (2,438 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

split and poured into a delerium tremens glass.

A: Pours a cloudy, almost opaque yellowy-orange amber color; like dark honey. Very little head with a thin film of residual carbonation and very little lacing. Visible chunks of yeast hanging out at the bottom of the glass.

S: Like pure, thick, organic honey. Light notes of fresh juniper and even sweet apple and tart berry.

T: More honey, though not as strongly as the smell. The juniper leaves a bitter but pleasant hint of floral on the tonque. Surprisingly very little alcohol taste for such a strong beer.

M: Much more carbonated than appearance suggests. Fizzles on the tongue all the way through. Very slight sting going down from the alcohol level; finishes clean and refreshing.

D: This beer is delicious, but the honey taste gets a little overpowering. The honey alone gives it the impression of being very heavy and the carbonation preempts guzzling. It's a great beer for a glass every so often because nogne has definitely made a quality brew, but I couldn't have a lot in one sitting, and probably couldn't finish an entire bottle before feeling a little sick of it. (1,135 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

Needless to say I am falling in love with this brewery, everything I have had from them shouts quality and a certain spirit of ingenuity and you have to love.

Poured into my Tremens glass: a honey-like viscosity (no surprise), with a 2 finger head that receded after a few minutes, leaving minimal lacing.

The thickness of the honey provides a lot of body, and flavor. The latter being well balanced and having earthy qualities present most likely from the twigs.

A very strong drink, one that immediately makes its effects present, but a pleasure to sip. For the price I would take it slow, but if I have the money this would be a great drink to sip all night and enjoy myself immensely.

I highly recommend this beer as a fun drink to try and enjoy with loved ones. (771 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +6.7%

Translucent, dark honey color with a cream colored head. Excellent retention throws up a couple lacey dingleberries. There's some sort of floaties amassed at the bottom of my glass. I would usually assume it's yeast but it looks like a pile of seeds.

Smells intensely of Smucker's single serving honey dipping sauce--you know, the stuff that's already on the table at IHOP. Juniper and potpourri in there as well. If this tastes as sweet as it smells this could be trouble.

Tastes like botanicals and honey flavored Ricola cough drops with a pleasant rye spice. Sweet, drying aftertaste (presumably from the honey) that lingers forever. Juniper adds a little bit of resin texture that I'm a huge fan of. Sweet, but not as sweet as it smells--delicious and drinkable but definitely a bottle for splitting. Surprised to see it weighs in at 11% abv.

One of the more interesting beers I've had as of late. (905 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%

500ml bottle into a Bruery tulip.

A: Hazy orange with a pure white head. Excellent retention and moderate lacing. plenty of bubble racing up the side of my tulip.

S: Very yeasty. Leans strongly toward Belgium in the nose. Picking up hints of sweet honey and fruit.

T: Sweet and yeasty on the palate. The fruity flavors come through on the tongue, and the 11% ABV burn is evident in the follow through. Lingering aftertaste of yeast and alcohol.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D: The flavors are so pronounced that I can't see this being something that I would come back to more than once in awhile. It is pleasent, but not subtle at all. I could see cloyingness being an issue for some. (701 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

A: This one pours a hazy amber color and has excellent carbonation. A thin and fine bone white head tops the beer off.

S: Wow huge honey aroma on this beer... greek honey. Clove and a light spiced quality. This smells very sweet... and to my surprise I get very little juniper.

T: The greeness comes through on the palate but the honey is still in the forefront. Sweet on the sides of the palate but there is enough carbonation to keep from being too sticky. Spice helps to battle the sweet honey and there does seem to be some tannin like dryness from the juniper which helps to balance the beer as well. There is a great amount of subtle complexity in the finish especially for a beer that smells like full on HONEY!

M: prickly and sticky all at once, excellent mouthfeel.

D: the high abv is hidden but the body and sweetness of this one doesn't earn extra drinkability points. (883 characters)

Sahti from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S