Sahti - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

SahtiSahti

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Sahti |  11.00% ABV

A cooperation between Norewgian brewery Nøgne Ø and Swedish brewery Dugges, this is their interpretation of the traditional Finnish style.

Brewed with malt, hops, rye, wheat, sea wormwood, juniper twigs, honey and yeast from Belgium, Germany and Britain.

(Beer added by: Sigmund on 12-02-2008)
3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Hazy orange pour with a creamy off-white head. Nice retention due to a steady stream of bubbles and decent lace. Pure honeycomb aroma and little else. Honey dominates the flavour. There's some herbal notes kicking around, but really it's the honey that comes through strongest. Very faint juniper notes, and a touch of wormwood in a herbal finish. Big warming mouthfeel, with some strong heat at the back of the throat. SLick with a smooth carbonation.

I wanted more juniper. A decent brew, but not what I expected for the style.

bobsy, Apr 08, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Very hazy, cloudy orange-brown color. Very foamy, bubbly, medium sized, white head. Average retention leaving a thin, foamy lace.

S - Very interesting aroma with a strong spicy, herbal, floral aroma. Juniper, berry, and honeycomb also in there. A bit of a stale wheat and yeast aroma as well. There is a strong je ne sais quoi about this aroma.

T - Similar to the nose. Spicy, herbal, floral. Strong juniper and honey flavors. Spritzy spice and floral start with more of the sweet honey and berry/juniper on the finish. Some stale wheat and rye in the background and a touch of pepper spiciness on the finish.

M - Medium body with average carbonation. Very smooth and creamy.

D - Not the easiest beer to drink, and nothing I would want on a regular basis, but a nice mix of spice, herbal, and floral flavors. Slightly sweet, alcoholy, and the other aspects mentioned.

Notes: My first sahti and it was interesting. Plenty of heather, honey, and juniper. I enjoyed it, but only as a "this is fun to try and drink" not a "I want this all the time" kind of beer. It does have a slight refreshing aspect though.

FreshHawk, Apr 05, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance:
The first thing noticeable about this beer is when the cap comes off...the beer starts flowing (regardless of whether or not you were prepared for it). The beer has a dark golden honey color with a thin white head and little lacing. There is also a tremendous amount of yeast sediment, more so than any other beer I've seen on the market (almost home-brew status)!!

Smell:
WOW, the beer is going to get some points in this category. There is a pungent honey comb overpowering this beer's nose. I would think this beer were actually a mead judging by the tremendous honey character and biting, 11% alcohol this beer presents.
However, it's hard to pick up on the other traditional "herbs" used in the brew and this is unfortunate.

Taste:
I'm glad that only part of the beer's aroma-therapeutic sweetness carried over into the flavor profile. I am able to experience more of the beer's fruity yeast and light herbal spice. The honey is still in full effect, definitely the spotlight.

Mouthfeel:
There is very little of the beer's strong alcohol content, I would have expected more. Also, the beer is more dense than I expected, almost syrupy from the coating sweetness of the honey. I am not entirely sure how I would go about pairing this beer, I think it falls into the dessert beer category given its immense sweetness.

Overall (drinkability):
This beer has a steep price tag, but is worth a try. I tried the DFH version of a sahti almost a year ago and never followed up with any other beers in its class. I feel that although this beer was delicious, I would rather pay the same price for the DFH version that comes in a larger bottle (better for sharing) and supports local brewers.

Cheers.

ThePorterSorter, Apr 03, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Two inch head atop cloudy amber beer. many big floaties. Good head retention and below average lacing.

S- Smells like honey, only stinky haha.

T- Initial taste is very sweet which is half expected due to all the unusual (for a beer) ingredients...I thought the hops would take a back seat. 11% alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering.

M- Good mouthfeel, fine carbonation.

D/O- Not being accustomed to the style I didn't know what to expect going in. I wasn't turned off by any means, it was just really sweet. I definitely would like to try others interpretations.

Duff27, Apr 02, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

Nøgne Ø Sahti is a cloudy, very lively, amber brew with a thick, soft, smooth, off white head that has outstanding retention and lacing It has a strong honey aroma. Yeah, just honey-- really strong. It's quite light bodied and very lively with a very clean, dry finish. It has lots of honey flavor. It's lightly sweet and quite bitter. It tastes estery, like a Belgian ale, and a little soapy. The juniper is pretty strong at the finish. There's a hot alcohol aftertaste. I've never tasted anything like this so I have no idea how to gauge it. It's pretty bizarre. It kind of tastes like Thunder Blue snus.

yesyouam, Apr 01, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Light amber ice tea with almost no head or lace, but visible carbonation.

S - Dry, slightly sour. Baby powder? Cherry, Hint of juniper.

T - Honey, pine, marbled rye. Nice white grape character. Touch of gin.

M - Nice, med body. Sweet finish.

O - Like many Nogne O beers, the balance is memorable.

vfgccp, Mar 27, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -41.9%

When I opened my bottle of this, it just started bubbling out....and kept bubbling....and bubbling...I feel like I lost a good deal of the beer just opening it. Sigh.

Pours a dark sort of amber/orange with a nice off-white head that slowly fades away leaving some lacing. I'm not some good carbonation and ton of weird looking sediment at the bottom of my glass.

Smell is a strong floral one. Smells a bunch like flowers, fruits, and various herbs and spices. Very pleasing.

Taste is really subdued. Kinda sweet. Mostly tasting just honey. Really disappointing.

Mouthfeel is pretty full-bodied with good carbonation. Par for the course.

Overall, this isn't comparable at all to the only other sahti I've hd (DFH). I'm thinking more likely than not, I just got an odd bottle of this. Sigh. Maybe I'll be able to get another bottle of this that isn't so wacky.

RTJakarta, Mar 24, 2011

A Nøgne Ø Sahti??

I've home-brewed Sahtis and they have all been quite good, but I've never been able to try a commercial example. Since true Finnish Sahtis are not hopped or pasteurized, they have a very short shelf-life and are, thus, hard to find on this side of the pond.

Needless to say, I was thrilled when I found this Nøgne Ø Sathi in my local bottle shop.

It pours a light amber, hazy glass.

The smell is heavenly. Candied fruit, juniper, perhaps some estery-banana-clove aromas jumping forth.

The taste is a little surprising. Sweet-honey, like a mead?

( after reading the label, I did discover that this is Nøgne Ø and Dugges' "interpretation" of a Sahti. It was brewed with honey and hops which, I believe, traditional Sahtis do not include)

Spicy, clovey, full-bodied, almost "brandy-like".

Certainly a good sipper by anyone's scale & a great late-night dessert brew. However, I was a little disappointed by the sweetness of this brew and , I guess, disappointed that I still have yet to taste my first "true" Finnish Sahti... sigh ...

liddytime, Mar 13, 2011

Moderately yeasty persimmon (like a recently shaken snow globe) with a faintly crackly crown of putty colored cream. There's pretty good cap size and persistence, especially given the ABV and the relative lack of hop resins. Shouldn't beer of this style have no hops? Anyway, love the unfiltered appearance.

The nose is all kinds of interesting. It's musky and floral and herbal and spicy... I've never smelled anything quite like it before. This is only my fourth Sahti in case you're wondering. Maybe the sea wormwood from Sweden is what's putting the 'can't quite put my finger on it' spin on things.

The flavor is just as off-the-wall. There can't be too many fermented beverages in all the world that taste like Nogne-Dugges Sahti. Gotta be the wormwood, which is an acquired taste to say the least. This stuff reminds me of the beer version of a heavily herbed liqueur.

Juniper twigs come through loud and clear, but the beer doesn't taste too much like gin. Honey adds a background sweetness that is easily controlled by hop bitterness. That's verboten for the style, but you'll never see me complain about the use of little green cones. Wow, what a complex and incredibly interesting ale.

The flavor profile is so varied and so aggressive that the alcohol is buried almost without a trace. A gentle warming on the way down and a slight tongue numbing as the ounces pass is the only evidence of its presence. Sipping is definitely the way to go here.

How do I know what the mouthfeel on a sahti should be like? This one is akin to a 7.0% IPA with perhaps a little more slickness on the finish. Although the carbonation is on the slightly spunky side, it works well.

Nogne-Dugges Sahti joins Dogfish Head Sah'tea and Malmgardin Panimo Arctic Circle Ale as the finest versions of this rather odd style that have ever entered my glass. I would never drink it on a regular basis, but what a mind- (and palate-) bending ride this has been.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 28, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a mug. Picked this up on my adventure to Cincinnati.

4.0 A: Hazed light to medium orange color. One and a half fingers of frothy white head that falls rather quickly, but is forgivable given the lack of hops and the high ABV.

4.0 S: Smells like a really old sock holding juniper branches. I like the weight room and musty cellar funk going on here. Honey and a general malty sweetness in the background along with some rye.

4.0 T: Taste is full of juniper. Not quite gin level, but a good amount nonetheless. Honey and biscuity malts give a healthy sweetness, but nowhere near cloying. Funky in that same sort of old sweat sock way as the nose. Spicy earthy rye comes next and the herbal contribution of the heather is noted. Alcohol is amazingly well hidden. This seems like a 7% brew tops. Very nice and close to a 4.5.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. Moderate amounts of carbonation that give the smallest spritzy feeling on the tongue to coincide with the slick beer. Not too bad.

4.0 D: Good nose, good taste, and well hidden alcohol account for a very drinkable brew. There's a good amount of sweetness, but it never becomes cloying. This juniper thing might be something worth looking into at a homebrewing level. Anyway, no flaws and good all around.

DavoleBomb, Jan 25, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: Murky golden orange color with a 1/2 inch of head and some good carbonation.

Smell: Has a perfume scent with a sour tinge.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very interesting flavor. Tasting the juniper berries...very strong. Has a deep alcohol flavor. Has the taste of the "sea" in it. Very unique flavors that i can't quite put my finger on. Very earthy, as well. Not sure how i really feel about this beer. Alcohol is very strong in this one.

Drinkability: I appreciate the uniqueness of this beer but I'm a little disappointed by it. The alcohol is so rich in it that it's almost unbearable. I usually love all of Nøgne Ø stuff...but this collaboration doesn't rank as high as others. I guess you can't win them all.

July2Nov, Jan 15, 2011

Pours murky dark amber/brown with a large whit head.
Nose show masses of really floral honey, distinct spicy juniper and sweet caramel malt. No hint of the alcohol so far. Pretty awesome, but a bit full on with the honey.
The flavours really hit hard, with loads of sweet malt, honey, alcohol and herbal astringency. Nice, interesting, but a bit boozy.
Creamy carbonation, but could be higher to help cut through the sweetness.

CrazyDavros, Jan 05, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

This was my first representation of this style beer courtesy of CrellMoset. Great trader if you get the opportunity you won't be disappointed. Reviewed from my notes on 12.29.10.

A- Cloudy golden hue with a thick two finger head. Lacing present on the sides of the glass.

S- I feel like I am walking through a meadow of beautiful flowers and herbs. This beer screams flower power. Straight from the garden.

T- I get this unusual bready taste then a kick of honey at the end. Tastes like it wants to be a mead.

M- Very easy to go down. I would give it average carbonation.

D- If this is what all Sahti's I have been missing out. A pleasant beer for the senses with some unusual flavoring in the taste. I would definitely have this again.

Patchmaster, Jan 02, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +28.4%

Had this for my New Years beer last night...This was my first Sahti, and it was incredible.

A - Cloudy but brilliant unfiltered golden color with two fingers of white bubbly head
S - Amazing. Huuuge honey aromas with some earthiness, and hints of raisins...so much more
T - Even better than it smells. It's like a high quality tripel blended with the best mead I've ever had (which was a raisin clove mead I sampled at a ren fest once). The alcohol is detectable but for 11% it's very well masked. I was pretty blown away by this
D - Dangerous.

josefnewsong, Jan 01, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Shared this bottle with HB42 at a tasting. Verrry interesting...

Poured clear amber/honey with a short lived white head. Word. A very strange aroma: clover honey with much spruce and juniper. A nice dose of pine and light sweetness of ripe berries. More sweet-forward but there's a very mild bitterness that is just enough to complement and prevent the sweetness from overpowering the beer. Nice grainy background. Refreshing carbonation, although it could use maybe a touch more. There's absolutely no way this beer was 11%. It drinks like a 5%! Overall, a very nicely made and delicate beer. If you're into trying new and different things, this is one to seek out. I was on the fence about whether I liked it or not but it ended up winning my heart towards the end as it warmed up.

Thanks to bigdank for this in a trade.

DmanGTR, Dec 30, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Drank from my Duvel Tulip.

A - Pours a very hazey orange depp copper colour. Has a white head that dies but laces.

S - Plenty of herbs and some citrus fruits..

T - Wow pretty unusual brew, has some cider like notes to it. There is also apples and yeasty bread notes.

M - Very smooth medium body and carbonation..

D - I like thios style and this beer. I would definitely have another.

eric5bellies, Dec 13, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

If someone handed me the glass and didn't let me taste it, I'd swear this was a mead. Big honey smell with a faintness of juniper berries, maybe some clove. Taste is fairly big on the honey too, but you can also taste the juniper and clove like spices as well. Starts out honey, but fades out to the other tastes. It hides the 11% VERY WELL, which is great for cold nights. It could sneak up on you if you're not careful. Definitely a great beer for the holiday season. Actually, I could drink this in the summer too. Probably get me another bottle sometime soon. It's my favorite Sahti thus far.

JISurfer, Dec 12, 2010

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

A: The beer is murky and orange in color with about a half inch of head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S: Scents of fruits, herbal tea, malts, earth. Overall, a really nice blend of fruity, floral aromas.

T: This is some tasty brew. Apples, apple cider, tea, and a variety malts comprise the basic flavor makeup. The beer is very smooth and easy going down. It possesses a bread-like quality that I find to be enjoyable.

M: The 11% alcohol is very well hidden. I honestly would not have guessed the alcohol content could be that high. The beer has a nice feel, and again, is very smooth, especially given the 11% abv.

D: A very good example of the style. I would definitely drink this again.

Huhzubendah, Dec 04, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottle shared by drabmuh.

Pours a peach color with a white head and some nice spotty lacing. The nose brings some citrus, caramel, and light spicing. The taste is quite sweet with a fairly large amount of stone fruit and some tropical notes. There are some miscellaneous spices in there, too--nothing really stands out. The body is medium and a bit cloying, ultimately affecting drinkability.

Thorpe429, Nov 30, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle shared with Matt and Mike. Beer is light amber with a good head that falls back quickly leaving a little lacing on the glass. Carbonation is low.

The aroma is slightly sweet, with some spice that comes up as the beer warms but not too much. It actually kind of smells like a barleywine. I like the aroma.

Beer is sweet but not cloying, it is quite sweet though. Medium bodied and coating on the palate. For as high ABV as this beer is it hides it well. The finish is a little thin and moderately dry but overall its a decent beer. Not as herbal as some of the other Sahtis I've had.

drabmuh, Nov 29, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

A: The beer is cloudy yellowish-brown in color. It poured with a finger high head that slowly died down and left patterns of bubbles floating on the surface.
S: It's extremely aromatic and has strong smells of honey intermixed with other unusual spices.
T: Like the smell, moderate to strong flavors of honey dominate the overall taste, although it's not really that sweet. It is also very complex and has flavors of juniper, wheat, spices and tea.
M: It feels medium-bodied and smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. Some dryness is noticeable, particularly in the finish.
D: Drinking this beer is an interesting change of pace, but there's no way that I could have more than one of these in a single sitting due to the amount of honey. The alcohol is well hidden and it doesn't taste anything like 11 percent.

metter98, Nov 14, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

My first Sahti, poured into a MJ tasting glass.

Pours a hazy copper with about an inch of very light tan colored head that drops down to about a quarter of inch fairly quickly. Lots of floaty bits.

Aroma is strong with honey sweetness. Like opening a fresh jar of honey. I'll have to let this warm a bit and come back to it. Juniper makes its presence known as it warms, and the alcohol can be found hiding in the background.

First sip is of honey malt, and a very light herbal flavor, mainly juniper. No alcohol bite to speak of at first, but it does come out as it warms. Not harsh, but you can tell it's there.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little prickly carbonation, and mouth coating. Almost sticky sweet.

Drinkability is high, and it hides its alcohol content very well.

JamnesCameron, Nov 07, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -1%

a mixed review of style representation and taste.

poped the bottle open and it was a mild gusher. not a lot but had to rush it to the sink the not spill all over.

the look is very a very hazy gold with a solid amount of white head on top. tons of carb streaming in the glass.

the aroma is very strong, lots of sweet honey and booze. The aroma is very off putting for me but i can see that this is probably what the brew smelled like way back when it was made in finland.

the taste is actually much more pleasent then the smell. the mouth gets a nice honey sweetness (kinda like a nice honey meade) followed by a mixture of juniper blend with the alcohol heat. rather tasty. nothing to much out side of those two parts of the taste.

over all i think this is a great showing of the style and of what it was when people first started brewing it.

pastradul, Nov 04, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a cloudy light amber color with a creamy head.

Nose is very fresh and earthy at the same time, the honey stands out as does a bit of alcohol, bready yeast and juniper.

The flavors are nicely balanced with sweet honey, light bittering and an alcohol warming sensation that would entice anyone on a cold winter night in the Scandinavian darkness. This beer reminds me of some quadrupel Belgian ales and would easily stand up against the great traditional ones such as a Rochefort 10.

The finish is long and satisfying, changing slightly from sweet honey to ripe red apple cider towards the end.

Very drinkable considering the herbal components but at 11% you'd be wise to watch the pace or things could get out of control before you could say "I'm Sahti..."

mj001jk, Oct 25, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -11.5%

A solid pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a three-finger thick, lightly tan colored head. The beer is an amber hue that shows a lightly hazed, pale amber hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells strongly of honey and there seems to be a sort of dusty malt character towards the finish. The honey is really dominant and it is hard to smell anything else, no matter how hard I try.

Fairly sweet tasting, though not as intensely so as the aroma would suggest. A light tartness kicks in towards the middle and the beer finishes with a honey flavor that lingers on the palate in that sort of medicinal way that honey does. My second sip seems a bit more dominated by the honey flavors, though still not as much as the aorma was. A solid pale grain character is here, which contributes to some of the sweetness and there is also a grassy, sort of biscuit like grain character. Some herbal notes and perhaps some menthol like, turpene leaning notes hint at the juniper twigs. The finish has a very light orange accent to it as well. This is definitely a bit aggressively carbonated; this likely helps to lighten the sticky body a touch as I don't seem to mind that this is fairly fizzy. This beer does hide its alcohol quite well, other than being fairly thick textured there isn't much in the way of alcohol heat, so you might not guess that this is 11%.

Another interesting interpretation of a Sahti, one of these days I am going to have to track down a good traditional one, but until then I continue to not really be able to get into the interpretations that I can find.

Gueuzedude, Oct 16, 2010