Dark Horizon 2nd Edition - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Beer added by: akorsak on 12-06-2008

to view more.
Ratings: 170 | Reviews: 119
4.86/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is an exceptional beer - had it in a bottle from 2008. Pours black and is very rich and complex in taste. Very viscous as well. Very much recommend this beer; however, ask what the price is. It was borderline exorbitant when I got it, but it was worth the experience.

4.64/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a nice dark brown, no head. Smells of alcohol and dark fruit with coffee. Tastes of coffee, chocolate, charcoal, raisins, and alcohol. Very, very dry. Finishes with a charcoal mocha flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

A - This beer pours black as oil. A dark brown head forms and then quickly dies. A tan ring is left clinging o the glass, pretty good lacing.

S - The smell is not as strong as the taste. The most prevalent odor is oaky wood and strong vanilla. Some alcohol, roasted malt and coffee is also evident.

T - This is a strongly roasted tasting beer. The vanilla/licorice flavors are also strong complimented by soy, coffee, slight chocolate and oak. I found the alcohol to be pretty well hidden, present but not assertive. In the finish the oak/ wood flavors become even more pronounced and leave a dry sensation on the tongue.

M - This beer has a great mouthfeel. It is unbelievably velvety and rich without being heavy. Low carbonation, slightly oily. Liquid velvet.

O - This beer is a sipper, I was glad I had some friends to share the bottle with. Very enjoyable in my 8 oz pour, might be a little overwhelming in lager quantities. Drank at 6 years of age and I did not think the alcohol was too hot in anyway. I do not see how anymore aging will improve this beer, but I might put away a bottle to see what another decade will do. Not an overpowering flavor profile, but it had a pretty distance and agreeable taste. If it is worth the money is a question I leave to you, I was glad I bought it.

4.26/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle that I picked up at the Village Pump in College Park many, many moons ago. Brewed 7th Nov 2007, consumed 10th May 2014.

Pouring black with a thin, dark brown head that rises briefly before falling off to a ring, this looks dark and ominous. Nice legs too. The nose is rich and complex. I was expecting a trainwreck, but this is actually pretty good. Mildly smoky, mildly soy-like, a nice umami savoriness, deep roast, deep, dark chocolate, fudge, unsweetened cocoa, a little bit of simple syrup are all present. Simply put, this is what a near 18% stout should be. Alcohol is noticeable on the nose but nowhere near where I thought it would be.

Opening with a big roasted malt character with moderate bitterness, moderate sweetness and plenty of depth, there are layers of smoke, earth, burnt sugar, toffee, a mild sweetness, some malted milk chocolate, unsweetened cocoa, a mild spiciness from the alcohol that add some licorice notes. Some dark fruit notes are also present, but really, this is dominated by the heavily roasted malts. Ashy notes are minimal, and the excessive sweetness that plagues many high ABV stouts is absent as well. Full in body with a soft, lush feel, creamy in carbonation, this beer finishes long, smoky, mildly bitter and mildly sweet with cocoa and coffee grounds. So silky on the palate! While not as good as the First Edition, this is still excellent. I'm glad I held off on drinking this for as long as I did. Highly recommended.

4.94/5  rDev +23.8%

This beer was brewed, according to the label, in 2007, making this beer around 7 years old.

A- Dark black with a brown head. shallow lacing. Beautiful.

S- Not complex, but spot on. Dark fruits, coffee, booze. Ready to dive in.

T- Wow! This is a deep, rich, and dare I say wine-like beer. Dark currants, coffee, bakers chocolate and rich malts. A grand slam.

M- Smooth, creamy and light in the carbonation department.

At the end of the day this goes down smooth and oily. This is a rich deep dink that is truly world class. I have been clinging onto this beer for years in order to do a stout tasting and I must say this is one of the highlights. This beer ages amazingly well, and I have another one waiting for 2019. Cheers!

3.27/5  rDev -18%

The colour is black with a brown edge. The low head is brown.

The smell is powerful with sharp sour notes, alcohol and cookies.

The taste is salty with lots of liquorice and alcohol. Dry and smooth. Full body. The aftertaste is long with salt, sal ammoniac, and burned flavours. The finish is salt.

The carbonation is light, the bubbles smooth. The liquid is thick and dense.

I have read some reviews from people who had this when it was younger. They noted that this beer was quite smoked. Those flavours are now all gone. It is still a powerful and quite heavy beer.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

From 05/24/13 notes. A 50CL bottle, which says created 11/05/07, let mature until Fall '09, and consume by end of 2020. Really like the 1st Edition when I had it several years ago, and have been holding onto multiple bottles of 2.0 and 3.0 since, after hearing they were crazy boozy. Poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a pitch black color with one inch of very dark tan head and low carbonation evident. Looks like a great big thick RIS.

s - Smells of alcohol, roasted malts, coffee, bitter dark chocolate, burnt malts, and toasted malts. Nice roasty nose; I like it, though the alcohol is definitely prevelant.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, bitter chocolate, dark chocolate, bourbon, oak, toasted malts, coffee, burnt malts, alcohol, and light vanilla. taste has more chocolate than the nose and a little bourbon; a slight step up from the nose.

m - Full body and low carbonation. Body is thick and chewy; great mouthfeel.

o - Overall a good, but very strong, RIS. Looks and feels great, but I think there is just too much alcohol in the nose and taste keeping this from being as great a beer as the 1st Edition. Very roasty and strong, a 17.50% ABV beer that feels that strong. I like it and would like a 4 oz. pour of it, but would be weary to buy more bottles of it at this point due to the price, size, and what you get.

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

Reviewed from notes
Tasted 3/24/12

P-4.5
S-5
T-4
M-4.5
D-4

P - dark motor oil consistency pitch black smal dark brown head

S - smells like toffe and brown sugar some hints of coffee sligt alcohol afterburn

T- tastes is coffe sugar and alcohol big malt

M - super thick appropriate for the style

D - super sipper cannot drink alot of this

4.23/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2011 on tap at Birch. Served in flute.

This beer had a delicious sweet raspberry smell and taste. Also an excellent, smooth mouth. Very tasty and very drinkable for the huge percentage. Works great as a sipper, apertif, or dessert beer. Very, very tasty.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

A- Pours black with a small, big-bubbled brown head that recedes quickly to a ring around the glass. Alcohol legs on the sides of the glass as I swirl.

S- Dough, soy sauce, molasses, coffee, and light alcohol. Has the trademark sweet "Dark Horizon" smell I remember from other vintages and variations I've had in the past.

T- Soy sauce, molasses, coffee, dark cherry and fruit notes, and just a bit of heat. Considerably less firey burn when compared to fresh. As for the 17.5% alcohol content....if I didn't know, I would never have guessed (as compared to before when I would have guessed 25%). This feels more like a a 9% or 10% beer.

M- Heavier side of medium bodied. Quite lively carbonation (even after all these years) at first, but it then becomes just about flat after having a few sips. The age has smoothed this beer out considerably though.

O- MUCH better than the first time I had this beer nearly 4 years ago. I told myself after having it fresh that I would not open my other bottle for another 15 years (because it was so dang hot), but I decided on a whim to open it tonight. Fairly glad I did. I'm not so sure this beer will get any better, but I can certainly see the alcohol calming down just a LITTLE bit more in the next year or two.

2.26/5  rDev -43.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass, generously shared by mfielden. Thanks, Mark! From notes.

A: Pours a pitch black body with a surprisingly large (1 finger) tan head that retains fairly well.

S: Like Kahlua steeped in coffee. Very boozy. A mild presence of dark fruits and/or sherry oxidation.

T: It's very simple in flavor, with some loss of complexity due to oxidation. It's sweet, with an element of booze in the flavor. Mild roast and baker's chocolate.

M: One of the better aspects of the beer, owing to its full, rich body. The booze detracts from this characteristic, though.

O: Not particularly complex; this is a prime example of a boozy-when-fresh beer that doesn't stand up to age. Not worth the price.

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, black, boozy. This beer has x-treme roasted malt flavor along with pit fruit and a port like aroma. Also typical coffee,chocolate flavors one would expect from an RIS.
This beer is hot and should be laid up for another year,maybe two? With 5 years in the bottle, this beer is still a little too boozy , even for me. Luckily, I had help from three friends, there is no way I could have drink this by myself. Glad I had the chance to try it, but should have put it back for additional aging.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks, Alex! Bottle into Darkness tulip.

A - Pours black, tan-colored head, thin collar.

S - Booze, dark fruits, char, maybe some light roast, some creamy chocolate/burnt sugars. The booze is still pretty upfront, but seems to have settled down a bit from it being fresh.

T - Booze mixed with baker's chocolate and some dark fruits thrown in there. There's also some char in there and a touch of roast, almost none. Finish is light burnt caramel, char, and booze.

M - Full, rich and smooth, good carbonation, creamy char finish.

O - Not as good as the 1st Edition, but still decent. A little too much booze for me in this still, and I would say it would be beneficial to age this one a bit longer. Give it a whirl.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle purchased at West Lakeview Liquors. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

A - Looks nearly identical to the other Dark Horizons. Perhaps a tiny bit more lace on this one.

S - I had this beer in December 2008, and all I remember is that it was 99% alcohol and anise. Age has been kind, mellowing out most of the booze, and revealing red and dark fruits, dark chocolate, coffee, and perhaps some faint spicy alcohol esters.

T - The tastes has some of the quintessential fruity Scandinavian yeast character. Heavy doses of chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malts, and light char and espresso flavors. It's a bit boozy, but more feels more like it's in the 12-13% range than the listed 17.5%. As it warms it develops a mild port wine character, likely from the oxidation.

M - Body is a tad lighter than the other Dark Horizons - more of a medium-full. Somewhat dry and roasty in texture, and with only moderate warming alcohol. Carbonation is quite low.

D - I didn't like this quite as much as the 1st edition, but it's definitely become competitive. It's come a long way in three-plus years, and shouldage gracefully for another three. If this is still on stray shelves in your area, feel confident picking up a bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. It was consumed alongside the 3rd edition. Both beers ended up being nice and complex.

The beer pours a black color with a brown head. The aroma has a lot of chocolate and coffee in it, as well as some nice roasted malt notes. There is also an aroma component that resembles bourbon. As expected, the beer smells fairly boozy.

The flavor is full of boozy chocolate with some roasted malt also mixed in. Once you get past the big up front flavors, there is a little bit of dark fruit mixed in, as well as a little bit of coffee.

Thick mouthfeel and low carbonation.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into multiple glasses. Thanks to everyone for the assist!

Bottle # 14058

A: Pours muck like Edition 1 with far much less in the way of head. The 17.5% was doing it's best to kill that foam.

S: Major coffee aroma. Huge. Loads of hot, solvent alcohol to loosen those sinuses. After the vapors cleared I began to notice aromas of freshly sliced jalapenos, fudge, molassas, and bruised dark fruit.

T: Much like above with more emphasis on the coffee, alcohol, and dark fruit. Spiced chocolate, burnt malt, and licorice, as well.

M: Suprising slickness given how hot this was. In my opinion, this is one case where an oily gooey mouthfeel actually made a beer more enjoyable.

O: Glad we were able to try this before the coffe died off but some more time in the bottle to temper the heat would've been nice to experience, too.

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%

Horizontal-vertical tasting courtesy of Dave. Thanks for sharing sir.
This was the only one I took notes on, and the only one really worth dissecting. The "Edition 1" had mellowed nicely, but pretty much on par with any other 4 year old RIS... soy, chocolate, oxidation, /end review.

Here we have a worthy adversary, a formidable fireside companion. Pours jet black with mahogany edges, viscous and oily, dark tan foam creeps up and ebbs away across the obsidian glassy surface.

Smells sweet and peppery, the usual thematic notes of soy, coffee, and licorice. A bit of char and stinging alcohol still present.

Flavors of plum, coffee, raisin, char, in the back is that same alcohol sting. Rich and mildly sweet, chewy feel to the body. Somewhat sludgy. Ever present sting of alcohol still hasn't been tamed... to a distracting level unfortunately, a pity as the flavors are unique and it's tasty despite the heavy handed alcohol burn.

2.44/5  rDev -38.8%

A 16.9 oz bottle that I picked up about 2 years ago when they were still around at TJ's. Stowed in the cellar in its tin in an effort to let the nearly 18% alcohol mellow...more on this later. Another one of the beers that I brought out to our impromptu tasting at Trey's place in the 'burgh.

The bottle opens with a slight hiss. At least it's carbonated. The pour looks like tar. Thick and viscous, it doesn't slosh into the bottom of the glass...it more just falls and sits. This gives 08 Dark Lord a run for its money. The head is thin and slight, but at 17.5%, you get points for that. A swirl produces cab-like legs...no surprise, as it weighs in about 3% higher than most of those do.

The aroma...holy shit. The first and overwhelming impression is alcohol burn. Do not consume this in the vicinity of an open flame. Once I get past the stinging in my nostrils, I can make out a formidable roast, chocolate malt, and bushels of figs and dates. Really, this would be phenomenal if not for the burn.

The flavor is really the same as the nose. It reminds me of a roasty version of the first time I tried moonshine in Armenia, except considerably less awesome. A touch of flavor on the palate, but then it burns the tongue and the esophagus. If I took Expedition Stout and added grain alcohol, that's what this tastes like.

This one ended up being a drainpour as the high alcohol presence, the prickly carbonation, and incredibly viscous texture proved to be just too much to be able to enjoy. I can't believe that after 2 years, this hasn't gone anywhere. The "Best After November 2009" should have been placed on the outside of the tin and should have read "Do Not Open Until 2019." The tin would make a ready-made time capsule. If you've got one of these, bury it. Wait at least 8 years, but this one may be not be salvageable. After how amazing Edition 1 was, Edition 2 was a huge letdown.

2.56/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Dan NittanyBeerFan for bringing this to the impromptu September 9 tasting in Pittsburgh. I tasted Dark Horizon 1st Edition with Dan at Penn State (which we both enjoyed), so we were anxious to crack this one. We were surprised with the results...

A: The elegant tin can opened up to reveal the 17oz Nogne O bottle. A slight hiss upon opening the cap. The beer pours a thick, viscous, and pretty much lifeless beer. Not unusual for a 17.5ABV imperial stout, so I won't knock it totally. The few bubbles that do appear are dark mocha, but no real head to speak of. I give this a 3.5 because I have had other imperial stouts of this size (i.e. Black Tuesday and Chocolattteee Raaaiiiinn) that have yielded a solid creamy head.

S: The first whiff killed about 1,000 brain cells. The second whiff, about 5,000. From there I stopped sniffing. Tons of alcohol in the nose, rubbing alcohol, blended with chocolate and mocha. The chocolate and mocha notes that do appear are decent, but are totally drowned out by the alcohol. Again, not expected for the size, but because I am a bit dumber from the loss of brain cells, I have to knock this a tad.

T: I was diagnosed with diabetes after drinking this beer. Totally sweet with alcoholic chocolate. Tons of alcohol heat, so much that I had to drain pour this. And by drain pour, I mean pour it into the fuel tank of my car.

Overall, I am not sure what happened between the 1st Edition and the 2nd Edition, but WTF.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Opened a bottle of this on New Years Eve/Day right after the ball dropped. I poured this beast out and admired it's pitch black body with a thick dark brown head on top. The smell of burnt wood, some dark chocolate and plenty of booze on this one. The taste of this beer was really nice and strong, Tasted really nice after drinking Mickey's most of the night at the New Years party. The flavors of booze, wood, some smoke, coffee, chocolate and char all come together in this one. The mouthfeel was thick and oily. Overall this brew impressed me, just like I knew it would!

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

This has been sitting in my aging bin for a couple years, but it's time. I know I am goint to lose my mind drinking it, as is my son, who is helping me with the little bottle. It's like having a pint glass of liquor - extremely boozy. But compared to other over strong brews like Dogfish Head 120, it's kind of cool. It doesn't really taste sweet, but it is extremely complementary to the ice cream I have.

There is a strong burn as it does down (for beer), and the aftertaste is out of this world. I will go for this again if I ever find it, but that seems unlikely. I am already losing my mind! Buy it if you ever find it, and like I did, let it sit for a couple years.

3.02/5  rDev -24.3%

.5l bottle from travisd13. Thank you, Sir.

I realize I'm 'slamming' this particular offering. But I am actually enjoying it, just not as a beer. This is the closest I've ever to come just dropping ice cubes in and popping in a movie (I drink scotch and watch movies. If you didn't know that the last sentence might not make as much sense. Also, I frown on ice in scotch, typcially. However, that depends on the ice and the scotch. If this was scotch, I wouldn't turn down an ice cube).

It looks very nice.

The nose is straight alcohol. And maybe not even edible alcohol, but rubbing alcohol. It is hard to get past. Once you do there are clearly discernable notes of roast malt, carob and almost overripe dark fruit. It is the sort of aroma that reminds you of pleasent late spring days when its too hot to eat and the plums have started to get oversoft.

As I said above, I'm enjoying the taste, but I do not equate it with a RIS. I suppose I do with some sort of barrel ageing, but even then this is a bit over the top. There is a very strong peaty aftertaste. There is also a nice burnt oatmeal cookie taste.

Mouthfeel is fine, there is a bit too much booze in there or else I'd rate this much higher. It fills the palate and the nostrils (if, indeed, I spelled that correctly).

I wouldn't chose this as a 'go to' RIS. I am wondering how I will ever finish a .5l bottle at 17.5%. I would be happy to have a full verticle of this (say 10 years) and do an every-other year tasting with 9 other folks. In fact, I think I'll plan on doing that. ISO DH 1.0 and 2.0.

(126th)

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Pours like oil. Dark and viscous, like liquified obsidian. There is no head, it is like liquid black glass in my tulip. When swirled around the glass it leaves a light brown film on the surface. This is thick with blood red edges at the edges of the glass.

S: Booze and dark chocolate come out. Syrupy sweet malt hints. Perhaps just a hint of soy sauce, still very nice.

T: Glorius roasted flavors, nice dark chocolate, some raisons and dark bread. In the finish there is a bit of booze, and some spicy notes in the finish. A touch of soy sauce, and a little cardboard in the back. Still damn fine.

M: Thick, carbonation is thin, but enough to give it a kick.

O: For a 4 year old beer this definitely packs a flavor wallop. Filled with chocolate, malty and sweet, and thick. Pretty good.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Bottle No. 05284

Appearance: Just like the 1st Edition, this one pours as black as night, with a small, dark head that disappears quickly; spotty lacing, but not as leggy as the 1st

Smell: Even after four years, fusel alcohol still dominates the nose; a stew of chocolate and dark fruit is discernible underneath

Taste: Chocolate fudge, up front, with a bit of cherry jam that appears just before the hot alcohol takes over at mid-palate; after the swallow, the fusel alcohol flavors dominate the finish, thought the chocolate and cherry linger underneath

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, with low carbonation and a lot of heat

Overall: While I enjoyed the 1st Edition, I decided to cellar this one for a while due to the higher ABV; guess I could have cellared this much longer as it is just still too hot for words

3.41/5  rDev -14.5%

I've held onto this bottle for awhile now and figured today is good as any day to break into it.

Made November 2007.
Mature until at least Fall 2009.
Best before 2020.
Consumed April 2011.

Pours a pitch black color with a small light brown head, head doesn't stick around at all, not much lacing but it does have some legs.

Wow, the aroma off this thing is intense, some good but mostly bad, first thing I notice is a strong alcohol presence, seems almost rubbing alcohol like, if you're able to get past the rubbing alcohol notes you'll pick up a dark roasted malt aroma with plenty of dark fruit, hints of charred wood.

Omg it burns, it burns so good, seriously this is wicked hot in the mouth, but more specifically it burns as it goes down the throat and gives a huge warming sensation, after the burn you'll find a burnt roasted malt flavor with some dark fruit (like raisins) melding together, decent char-like quality to it, fortunately it's not sickly sticky or cloying otherwise it would have been damn near impossible to drink, this is definitely a sipper and it will probably take me all night to finish this bottle.

I've had the 1st edition awhile back, even had it as a side by side with this edition. Left the review until I cracked open my own bottle of the 2nd edition today, and I have to say the 1st edition is leaps and bounds better, even after letting the 2nd edition age. Guess I should have let it age until 2020, maybe I'll find another bottle and say what the hell, I should still be alive in 9 years to see what happens to this beast.

to view more.