Tyttebær - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed in collaboration by Danish brewery Mikkeller and Norwegian brewery Nøgne Ø.

The recipe includes lingonberries.
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a balloon glass straight and hard with a slightly dark golden color the head grew quickly so the pour took a couple attempts as it was not expected to be quite so carbonated. Had to try it as a collabo from Nogne O and Mikkeller could not be passed up. Two of my favorite breweries. Very fruity with the cranberry sourness standing out but not overpowering. Not too high an alcohol content as I am used to many with high levels but still at a decent 8% (although the site says 4.5) that is well balanced with the complex flavor and smooth finish. Definitely a unique brew. Slightly sour, somewhat spiced, good for something like a holiday brew to be enjoyed with some sweets or mild meats. As far as drinkability I would say it's good and worth a try if you want something out of the ordinary but one is probably good enough for one night. (851 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a cloudy orange amber with a fairly good head that sticks around. Made with Brett and Lactobacillus as well as both malted and unmalted wheat, malted barley, hops and lingonberries. Smells tart, a bit like a bitter cranberry. Citrusy, earthy, and a bit like a forest with loam and pine. Very nice flavors of tart fruit, pine, earth, and some barnyard. Nice bitterness throughout and the lingonberry flavor is like a piney, uber-cranberry. The sourness from the Brett is light, but the tanginess from the lacto is a bit more pronounced and there is some light funk from the brett. Really like the fruit and deep, almost juniper-like pine flavors. Tart and very bitter in the mouth-bracing. Quite a delicious brew from this very cool brewery. (746 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

A wild ale brewed with mountain cranberries? That gets my Attention right away. I bought it at Liquor World for $12.75. The foam rose straight to the top of bottle as soon as I popped the cap, but luckily not quickly enough to cause a spill. Color is a mixture of blond and red, and heading is white. Nose gives off an interesting fruit note, certainly not the type of cranberries I am used to. It definitely smells wild too. The flavor is tart, but not overpowering by any means, and the basement/funk tastes I get work very well along with the fruit. The fruit, itself reminds me somewhat of gooseberries, which I only had the chance to try very recently. Body is light, but some degree of alcohol can be felt in the flavor, and by it's warming effect. This site says the ABV is around four percent whereas the bottle I am looking at says it is eight percent. I would have to agree with the bottle in this case. One thing I have to mention is that as this review has gone on, I have upped some of the scores compared to my initial reactions. This beer is growing on me with every sip, and would make a nice accompaniment to many fruit based desserts. I was not sure about going for this when I saw the price tag, but at this point I would say that it was a very good decision. It definitely ranks well within the world of wild and extreme beers. Cheers (1,354 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The bottle I purchased is 8.0 ABV, for the record.

A -- A light, hazy, cloudy amber / red color with a nice head that dissipates well but not too quickly.

S -- Obvious notes of sour tart fruit and the slightly pungent scent of the wild stuff. Not overly fragrant without sticking your nose right in it. Light hop notes linger.

T -- The fruit flavor is present but not forefront. The tartness carries in this beer and gives a nice pucker and has a long lasting aftertaste. A good funk grabs and holds on.

M -- Dry, semi-low carbonation makes it so that the tartness and the low sweetness don't shred your tastebuds. After a few minutes, it seems as though you may have had a mouthful of sunflower seeds or Sour Patch Kids -- a little numbing.

D -- I haven't ventured into the realm of many wild beers yet, but I think this one makes a good solid approachable beer for those looking to expand and expound. I don't know if I'll spend the money on another without special cause but I'm glad I tried it. (1,003 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle purchased at Capone's in Norristown PA last month for $13.00 (with tax)

Appearance: cranberry redish to burnt orange body with a 1 finger beige crown that rapidly dissipates but leaves lots of lace.

Smell: A nice amount of brett and some winter like spice.

Taste: A bit watery in my opinion, but with a decent amount of brett and a touch of sourness.

Mouthfeel: A bit watery too.

Drinkability: not too tasty (419 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Always anxious to try unique collaberation brews, the minute this one came in I had to get a bottle.

A: Pours a very hazy amber, with a bit of a pink tinge to it. The head is off-white, and very audible upon pouring the beer. Very good head retention as well.

S: The smell up front is tart, with the lingonberry dominating, along with piney, floral hop character. The Brett is noticeable on the back end, with just a slight hint of that tell-tale bandaid aroma.

T: Like the smell, but more intense. The tart berry flavors slam the palate with great acidity, along with dry floral hops. The combination of Brett and the hop varietals used give the beer a very unique finish, being piney, dry, and also funky.

M: Suprisingly good mouthfeel. It is fairly full bodied, with tannins that give is a crisp dry finish. Carbonation lends the beer a mouthfeel similar to vintage Champagne.

D: This beer, being 8%ABV, is quite easy to drink. It makes a great before-and-after dinner beer. This is a stand-out wild ale, and although it's a bit pricey, it's worth trying a bottle. (1,073 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Well, it looks like the crew has returned with a higher-octane version of this Scandinavian concoction. Let's see what happened...I took notes on this some time ago so please forgive any brevity.

This pours with a very decent head...faint off-white with minimal pink. Body is colored sort of a faint rose champagne, with carbonation to match.

Light unroasted malt is prevalent enough to remind us that, yes, this is indeed still beer. There is a bit of perfume fruity scent accompanying a fair amount of tart cranberry musk. Specimen is electric with yeast and light grains.

This comes as advertised on the nose - cranberries are strong but do not overpower the grain and enjoyable yeast strain. Solid but maybe not a true standout here.

The palate feel isn't as pure puckering tartlike as a traditional lambic; the extra booze creates a bit of burn down the gullet while the cranberries provide a little more backbone. It's a bit on the tight side but the pucker is more mild than one would expect. Very nice.

Unlike traditional lambics which can be ultra-tart, horse-blanket challenges to endure (although they can be extremely enjoyable), this drinks relatively well. Maybe not something I'll fall over everyone trying to hoard but it's a decent read. (1,259 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle shared by Lee and Dave at the Brick Store.

Pours a murky pinkish brown with a small off-white head that recedes slowly and leaves a little bit of lacing.

The aroma is herbal but sweet with the cranberries (lingonberries technically I guess) definitely coming through and more than a hint of evergreen. The brett presence is fairly tame with only the faintest hint of earthy funk coming through. It's got a little more acidity than funk.

The taste has more of the tart and sweet cranberries up front with the wild yeast coming through in the middle. Honestly, it's tastes more like typical Belgian yeast than wild strains as the funk is very, very subtle and the tartness of the cranberries is the most "wild" thing about the taste.

The mouthfeel is slick and dry with low carbonation and light to medium bodied.

This is an interesting example of a wild ale as the fruit and herbal yeast are the most dominant parts of the beer by far. I have to think the funk will start to pop a little more over time so I may lay down a bottle and check back in on this one in a year or two. (1,088 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19%

Poured into an unmarked tulip, this is a strange orange shade of amber color. Sort of pinkish. Even the carefulest pour sparks a massive head formation. My beer to head ratio is like 1 to 5 at this point. Excellent retention and lacing on this slightly off-white colored head.

The nose is not very wild smelling, but oh so sour and tart. I doubt I've ever had straight lingonberries, but they smell like minty cherries. Smells like these lingonberries grow on pine trees if you ask me, there is a substancial piney aroma here.

The taste is about the strangest beer I've ever had. Totally not what I was expecting. First I'm hit with this minty, piney tart berry flavour, that quickly transforms into a combination of sweet and tart, and finally works it's way to the typical brett characteristics. The brett is surprisingly subdued in this one, definitely taking a back seat to the tart lingonberries and their piney like flavour. It's so strange, I swear there is mint in this...

Mouthfeel is light and very smooth, as is typical with most brett brewed beers I've had. I like the contrast between the room temperature head and the slightly colder liquid below it.

Drinkability? It's hard to say. Don't chug this, please. It must be enjoyed as it warms to see how it changes, and it must be savored. This is a beer that demands you stop and think about the flavours and the aromas, it beckons you to drink more. I really enjoyed this, much more than I thought I would. It's a unique beer, and a good one. (1,508 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +0.5%

Mikkeller collaboration beer. Should be labeled a wild ale and not a fruit lambic.

Quite nice looking hazy cranapple-like color. Minimal head, lightly carbonated. Smells like a Halls eucalyptus cough drop--the herbal note was not at all expected. The herbal aroma overwhelms whatever wild esters are present.

The fruit kicks in up front: near perfect acidity, slightly tart (but very well balanced), distinct red fruit, and very nicely carbonated. Seconds later, the wildness hits the mid-palate and contributes nice complexity. Seconds later yet, the herb returns on the finish, and completely dominates the experience. I asked myself at first if I was drinking a sahti, and looked at the ingredients list to see if perhaps juniper berries were present. Nope, just lingonberries, which the labels calls "Scandinavian cranberries." The resin note was so overwhelming I wondered if perhaps Nogne O and Mikkeller filtered this over evergreen boughs to make a wild sahti. I haven't the slightest, but a google search reveals that lingonberries love growing under pine trees in Scandanavian countries, so perhaps the fruit picked up some of the pine resin notes naturally, or sap dripped on the berries, or pine needles were collected with the berries, or... the theories are endless.

I wanted to love this beer, but the herbal nose actually turned me off. All in all, still a very solid beer, I just would have enjoyed it much more without the evergreen notes. (1,460 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last