Sunturnbrew - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

American Barleywine |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-12-2009

Brewed at the solstice each year since 2008.

This smoked barely wine is brewed with 30% smoked malt and 20% rye.

26° Plato, 50 IBU,
2.09/5  rDev -46.5%

500ml bottle into a Treehouse snifter.

A - Pours a muddy brown with auburn edges. Decent two fingers of head with somenice lacing.

S - And we have our first problem. Peat smoke in a non-barrel-aged barleywine? Like roasted bandaids, it ruins the aroma, and it overwhelms anything else that might be there. WTF?

T - Yup, pretty much like the nose led me to believe, this tastes like it took all the worst aspects of a Islay scotch barrel and none of the good, and of course it wasn’t even in a barrel so that makes no sense at all. Heavy peat, some bitterness from the hops, and not much else. Maybe some roast from the malt, but it’s hard to tell. Maybe if I was a bigger fan of Islays I’d enjoy this, but I’m not.

M - Pretty thick and coating, with a long, dry finish. Not bad, maybe the best aspect of the beer.

O - This is shit. Can’t believe I got conned into paying $12 for this turd. I’m struggling to finish this glass, let alone the whole bottle. (975 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

A - Pours dark amber. Two fingers of brown head. Good lace chunks and a half finger of retention.

S - Smoke, campfire. Not my thing, but OK.

T - Intense sweetness with tons of smoke. Dark fruit, candy. Ick.

M - Good carbonation, full body, harsh smokey finish with tons of cloying sweetness.

O/D - This is not good. Considering I don't like smoked beers, it's even worse. Far too sweet and far too smokey. Nope. (417 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -42.7%

First had: on tap at Teresa's, Wayne, PA

Man, I just don't know about this one. I don't know if it was off or infected or what, but something just wasn't right with this beer.

Poured a clear chestnut brown with a small cap of off-white head. Big whiff of phenols right off the bat, with pumpernickel and smoke as an afterthought. Taste was infused with dark bread, smokey malts, and dark tea, but mostly BAND-AIDS. This was like drinking a liquid doctor's office, and I've really never tasted anything else quite like it other than the time I tried ripping off a Band-aid with my mouth because I had a beer in both hands. Typically, this is an off-flavor, and an indication of phenol contamination. I don't know if that was the case here, or if that's actually what they were going for in the beer, but either way, this simply did not sit well with me. Fortunately I only got a sampler and not a full serving, because I doubt I'd have made it through the whole glass.

I like barleywines, I like smoked beer, and I generally love rye beers. But this....this was extraordinary, and not in a good way. (1,101 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Purchased at the LCBO for approx. $7.00/500ml bottle. Served at 6deg C in a challis

A- Very good! Opened very well. Nice dark colour.

S- Very good.

T- Horrible!! Fake smoke flavor overpowers all. Sour and bitter. More to follow...

M- Pretty good

O- See taste

Food Pairing

No food pairing on this one! I poured it down the drain. Sure hope this was a bad bottle. Returned the rest of them.

Sorry (403 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Brownish red colour, two fingers khaki head, some lace. Smell is all smoke and salt/peat, spice and some faint caramel, there is a bit of hop underneath all the smoke/peat as well. Taste is just all salt water and smoke, sweet at first followed by bitterness, but this is just wave after wave of iodine and smoke. Medium body, medium slightly prickly carbonation. This was pretty terrible all around, and the vast majority of the bottle saw the drain, never again. (464 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -30.4%

500ml bottle poured into tulip 14/7/12

A dark brown with a deep dark amber edge, thumbs width of dark tan head has decent retention and leaves a few rings of lace

S Oh Dear! I get burnt band aid, rubber, and salted berries, wasn't expecting smoked malt and this ones smells like they soaked the malt in chemicals before smoking it

T a little improvement over the smell but the band aid is still strong and I get a little juniper and smoked meat helping its cause but it needs more help then that, smokey peat lends a hand but I can't get over the adhesive, chemical thing it has going for it

M very thick and has perfect carbonation, no heat is quite impressive for 11%, in fact I get not booze anywhere with this one, quite sticky on the lips and if it weren't for the aftertaste I'd have something special in this department

O once I caught whiff of the burnt adhesive I just couldn't shake it, I don't dislike the salty peat but It's overwhelmed by lousy aspects of this beer, I'm impressed how well the the booze is hidden but I'd rather have boozy heat too be honest

I had very high hopes for this one after the gems I've had from this brewery. perhaps I got a bad bottle because its pretty rare I'm way below the average, either way I won't be buying any to see how they age (1,288 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle shared by Andy. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a muddy chestnut brown with no head at all.

First thing I thought when I smelled it was bacon raisins (take that for what you will BAs). Big smokehouse aroma is a frontrunner with your usual suspects of dark fruits and a little bit of dark rich mollasses. If nothing else, it's interesting. The flavor is much like the aroma. Smokey cedar with raisins is really what I'm getting.

The feel medium bodied with soft carbonation. A little bit dry on the finish. Overall, this one is unique. I would immagine this is pretty much what the brewers where gunning at with this beer. It's just not what I was hoping for; the flavors just don't work for me. (708 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

500ml Bottle from the Ottawa LCBO for $8 or so

Appearance - Copper colour with a large size off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some great lacing. The head lasted for around 4-5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, peat, smoke, plastic?, fruits

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel, burnt charred notes, and smoke. There is also lots of peat and some odd plastic or artificial banana type flavour?

Overall - I love barleywines, but I hate smoked beers. I was hoping this would be more barleywine and less smoke I guess. Not my thing at all, it was a drainpour. If you like smokey beers, this one has got lots. (727 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured into tulip.

Pours 1/4 finger of beige head. No retention. Color is a dark ruby hued bark brown.

Aroma: A lot of spices. Cloves, bananas, berries, malts, and cinnamon. Massive spices and booze.

Taste: More spice and booze. Raisins, plums, smoked malts, cocoa, berries, cherries, and some grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and warming. Medium bodied with a lower to medium amount of carbonation. Ends really dry and spiced.

Overall, a really weird beer. Not sure on the style. I am not the biggest fan of it. A small glass was fine. (539 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -24.8%

500ml bottle. Hey, the 'sun turned' not that long ago around here too, and its effect is, as usual, becoming slowly more noticeable. I do like the creepy Inuit with the old-school futuristic shades depicted on the label.

This beer pours a murky, dark reddish brown colour, with one finger of dense, tight foamy beige head, which leaves a solid, uninterrupted mesa profile of lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of acrid smoked malt, fruity and medicinal at the same time, which is a bit of an assault to the ol' olfactory senses, lemme tell ya - not much else could be perceptible beyond that. The taste is more of the same meaty smoke character, unfortunately, though thankfully blended into a heavy caramel/toffee malt, with some burnt (of course) field berries and singed (yes) bitter leafy hops grinning and bearing it all for our mutual displeasure.

The bubbles are probably as scared as I am, and do their best to show it by staying low and out of the way, the body rendering the first good news in terms of a decently hefty medium weight, and an inexplicably discordant overall smoothness. It finishes on the sweet side, the struggling malt having its day in the face of the medicinal, band-aid-esque smokiness. All else is seemingly lost in the fray.

Jebus H. Christ! I was initially distracted by the folksy solstice info, so I didn't actually read the ingredients before jumping into this. Turns out there's nothing there that would indicate the palate-fuck one should expect here - does one have to indicate smoking the shit out of any of your malt-based inputs? Anyway, take a possibly agreeable big barleywine, toss in on the BBQ, and see what transpires, I guess. It does settle down about halfway through (yeah, I persevered), but maybe that's just the heretofore ignored 22-proof booze. (1,825 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -24%

A - pitch black with just a bit of hazy light getting through near the stem of the tulip glass, thumb of tan head held nicely with fairly consistent lacing
S - its a smoke bomb, maybe a touch of leather, can't say much more than that except that was not what I was expecting at all
T - so much big smoke to the point that its tough to drink, it is so overwhelming that there is nothing barelywine about it, have a feeling this is in the wrong style
M - once you get past the smoke it actually drinks relatively well for 11%
O - not sure what to say about this, I want to like it but its like i'm sitting around a fire and the wind has shifted in my direction, and that's not a comfortable feeling, strange.... (709 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%

Reviewed 06/05/2009. Bottle at PPRBSG09. This beer pours a cloudy brown. The aroma is of sweet malt and light smokiness. Flavor of some smoke (more smoke than smoked meat), lots of sweet malt, and iced tea notes. I was excited for this one, but it let me down. (260 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -14.6%

Served in a 16 oz. snifter.

A- pours a dark amber, 1 finger white head. No lacing.

S- smoke! Peat, dark fruits, wood.

T- lots of smoke and peat, some dark fruits, wood, rye.

M- medium body and a little thin for a 11% beer.

O- just not doing it for me. The smoke and peat in this beer just don't work with this style. Just not good! (336 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours hazy brown with virtually no head, even with a vigorous pour. Nose is weak with some faint caramel/toffee, raisins, and brown sugar. The palate comes through with the anticipated flavors on the nose with plenty of raisin sweetness, and a sugary sweet finish. High alcohol is masked relatively well. (304 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

500 mL bottle poured into a CBS snifter. My last Nøgne Ø barleywine was infected, but this one looks significantly safer.

Smell - Smoke dominates and perhaps overpowers a lot of other aromas. The malt is faint, but present, as a touch of caramel. Definitely has a band-aid aroma, but it isn't that intrusive.

Taste - Hops are much more prevalent in the taste than the smell. Smoke and hops at the start of the flavor, giving way to a more complex malt bill. Caramel, a touch of fruit to the taste, and just a hint of rye. The finish is slightly bitter and has that unpleasant band-aid flavor again.

Mouthfeel - Thick and mouth-coating. Nice weight. Medium carbonation. The problem is the astringency and band-aid flavor in the finish. It makes the lingering taste unpleasant.

Overall - A nice, smokey barleywine with an off-flavor that can't be ignored. Just the right amount of smoke, too, which is rare in a beer. Stupid band-aids. (939 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

pours a dark brown with a thin khaki head, and some lacing.

smell is of caramel, some spice, malt, and a touch of dark fruit.

taste is thick, warming, malt barley, a little smoke, some sweetness, and toffee, end is oily, and bitter.

overall not bad of a barleywine. (268 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer pours a murky brown with a thin creamy head. The aroma is spicy and smokey. The taste smokey but not overwhelming. The smokeiness is good here because the flavor didn't become salty like some smoked beers do. I get some burnt spice in the background of this. This brew has a think mouthfeel like many Nøgne-Ø releases. It's an interesting brew. (356 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11%

Pour: 500ml bottle to tulip glass. Short hiss when I open the cap. A relatively light pour yields a thin off-white head that sticks around for about 15 seconds before thinning out to a weak looking halo. There are lazy bubbles in the body of the beer. It's a very dark brown beer, relatively good looking texture - a good swirl leads to hefty bubbling. Looking forward to what else it has to offer.

Nose: Smell is piney and inviting. Hops seem to dominate the aroma until another swirl reveals the malt. Brown sugar, alcohol, raisins. For the strength of the beer, I'm surprised the aroma is not more distinct or complex. However, the balance between malt, hop, & alcohol is superb.

Mouth: Wow, where did this smokiness come from?! I got no smoke in the aroma. Tons of smoke, rich residual sugars, and alcohol heat. A medicinal quality of fruit esters and syrupy sweetness. Some citrus hop notes in the back of the mouth, and a lingering chewy, somewhat hoppy, somewhat smoky finish. Too much residual sugar. Mouthfeel is thick and lacking in strong carbonation - but this is characteristic of barleywines (as this beer is classified).

Overall: The flavor combination is masterful - I just think this could have been pulled off at 7-8% abv, and saved us some of this overbearing likeness to breakfast syrup. (1,310 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Dark brown colored beer with a small tan colored head.

Smells smoky. Abundant smoke aroma and a medicinal band-aid smell. Fruity scent but it is mostly obscured by smoke.

Starts out a little sweet, but mostly smoky and a little salty. A little fruit shows up after you adapt to the smoke. Caramel and some fig flavors under the smoke. Moderate bitterness and some Nordic licorice flavor. Abundant chest and stomach warming from the alcohol. No way around it though, this is more Rauchbier than Barleywine.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall an interesting beer but more a Rauchbier than a Barleywine. Smoky as hell. (611 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: Pours a dense mahogany with a very modest head that quickly fades but leaves some dotty legs behind

Smell: Pumpernickel bread, dates, toffee, tea and alcohol

Taste: Pumpernickel bread and toffee, up front, with a range of dark fruit and tea-like spice developing by mid-palate; after the swallow, a juniper berry alcohol character arrives, heightening the sweet malt flavors

Mouthfeel: Full body with low carbonation

Overall: While this is a really interesting beer, I don't know that it is something I would return to as it is rather flabby and though the malts are complex, I am just not enamored by them

Thanks, mrmiles, for the opportunity

Taste: (668 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at Mugs Alehouse in Brooklyn, NY

A: Pours a rich but clear nut brown in color with a thin light beige head. The head reduces to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate lacing is observed.

S: Lots more smoke than I was expecting along with dark roasted malts and a slightly medicinal hint.

T: Very sweet and smokey - there is a subtle iodine/band-aid like flavor from the smoke. The beer's flavor becomes more medicinal as it warms.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: A little too medicinal for my palate - I usually enjoy the iodine/band-aid hints from the smoke but this one is too intense, especially after the beer warms. There is something in the smoke that is a little different from peat but I cannot identify, though I really like whatever it is. Not sure this is one I'd get again. (847 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Purchased in 2011 I believe so probably about 2 years old at time of consumption.

Appearance is very dark for a barleywine but still brown. Despite it's dark color it has a very nice clarity.

Smell is pleasant if unremarkable. Lots of sweet caramel notes up front with a touch of alcohol. A little bit of dark fruit. Although the bottle says "smoked barleywine" and that is why I bought it, I am not detecting any smoke, perhaps because of the age?

Taste is similar to the aroma. Overall it is very nice. It leans towards the sweeter side with a fair but not overwhelming amount of complexity and balance.

The mouthfeel is very full and is not hot for 11%. Slightly viscous. Not too thick that I had any trouble finishing the 500ml bottle.

Overall this is a solid beer, especially if you like a touch of sweetness in your barleywine. I probably won't seek it out again but I enjoyed this bottle. (900 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

On draft at fork and barrel.

A- comes to me with a small cap of darkish tan head that settled rather quickly to leave a thin ring and a small amount of lace on the glass. Very dark brown in color but its super dark in here so it could be a bit lighter.

S- peat smoke out of the gates with a dark malts. Light candied fruits and a bit of bubble gum.

T- lots of roast and sweet. The smoke is less heavy in the taste but still plays its part. Some chocolate and brown sugar.

M- a bit above medium in body and a nice light slightly creamy carb. A bit of heat but it is to be expected.

D- all in all a interesting beer. That being said its way off style. I liked it but if ya had called it something else it would have gotten a bit higher score. (750 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.4%

Had a bottle with ZX6chris at K&B wine cellars.

Pours/look: very thick, dark brown. With a rough pour some card slowy rises to the top of the glass for a 1/4 thick head. Like the bubbles had to fight through the beer to the top.

Smell: Has a heavy malt/barley smell. But the big aroma finishes with a salty/meaty...ya meaty, not peaty. Makes me want to go buy some BBQ bacon or some teriyaki beef.

Taste: At first when it is cold you mainly pick up the salty and savoury aftertaste of it. A nice malt backbone to it but it is muted do to temp (like you are drinking a nice piece of bacon). As it warms the sweet malt takes over the flavor (now more like BBQ meat) the alcohol becomes more prominent as it warms which is nice for this barleywine.

Overall: A very interesting beer to try. If I have it again I will make sure it is with food! (843 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer was on close out at my local shop for 2.99, couldn't pass it up. Pours a dark amber with almost no light passage. Decent head and retention for style. The nose is intense. It starts with heavy peaty smoked malt. This is paired with a touch of oxidization, and then the barleywine character begins to seep through. Notes of caramel, raisin, and molasses come through in small waves with the smoke mostly dominating. The taste leans towards the sweet side in the world of barleywines. If I didn't know better, I would think this was an English b-wine. Heavy brown sugar and molasses provide sweetness on the palate and are backed up by a huge peat smoked malt character. The smoke gains momentum towards the finish, but never quite balances the sweetness. Mouthfeel is somewhat hefty with moderate carbonation. OVerall, this brew is definitely unique, and the smoke does provide an interesting take on the style. In this example, the malt bill leans too far to the sweet side and the smoke just doesn't help. (1,016 characters)

Sunturnbrew from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S