Sunturnbrew - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

SunturnbrewSunturnbrew

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

American Barleywine |  11.00% ABV

Brewed at the solstice each year since 2008.

This smoked barely wine is brewed with 30% smoked malt and 20% rye.

26° Plato, 50 IBU,

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-12-2009)
View: Beers (60) |  Events

jmkoscie

01-22-2014 00:42:25 | More by jmkoscie
tbeckett

2.01/5  rDev -47.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

A - Pours dark amber. Two fingers of brown head. Good lace chunks and a half finger of retention.

S - Smoke, campfire. Not my thing, but OK.

T - Intense sweetness with tons of smoke. Dark fruit, candy. Ick.

M - Good carbonation, full body, harsh smokey finish with tons of cloying sweetness.

O/D - This is not good. Considering I don't like smoked beers, it's even worse. Far too sweet and far too smokey. Nope.

03-22-2014 00:13:14 | More by tbeckett
djmichaelk

2.1/5  rDev -45.6%

500ml bottle into a Treehouse snifter.

A - Pours a muddy brown with auburn edges. Decent two fingers of head with somenice lacing.

S - And we have our first problem. Peat smoke in a non-barrel-aged barleywine? Like roasted bandaids, it ruins the aroma, and it overwhelms anything else that might be there. WTF?

T - Yup, pretty much like the nose led me to believe, this tastes like it took all the worst aspects of a Islay scotch barrel and none of the good, and of course it wasn’t even in a barrel so that makes no sense at all. Heavy peat, some bitterness from the hops, and not much else. Maybe some roast from the malt, but it’s hard to tell. Maybe if I was a bigger fan of Islays I’d enjoy this, but I’m not.

M - Pretty thick and coating, with a long, dry finish. Not bad, maybe the best aspect of the beer.

O - This is shit. Can’t believe I got conned into paying $12 for this turd. I’m struggling to finish this glass, let alone the whole bottle.

06-22-2014 05:46:58 | More by djmichaelk
DaveBar

2.16/5  rDev -44%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Purchased at the LCBO for approx. $7.00/500ml bottle. Served at 6deg C in a challis

A- Very good! Opened very well. Nice dark colour.

S- Very good.

T- Horrible!! Fake smoke flavor overpowers all. Sour and bitter. More to follow...

M- Pretty good

O- See taste

Food Pairing

No food pairing on this one! I poured it down the drain. Sure hope this was a bad bottle. Returned the rest of them.

Sorry

03-01-2014 03:50:49 | More by DaveBar
Rifugium

2.23/5  rDev -42.2%

First had: on tap at Teresa's, Wayne, PA

Man, I just don't know about this one. I don't know if it was off or infected or what, but something just wasn't right with this beer.

Poured a clear chestnut brown with a small cap of off-white head. Big whiff of phenols right off the bat, with pumpernickel and smoke as an afterthought. Taste was infused with dark bread, smokey malts, and dark tea, but mostly BAND-AIDS. This was like drinking a liquid doctor's office, and I've really never tasted anything else quite like it other than the time I tried ripping off a Band-aid with my mouth because I had a beer in both hands. Typically, this is an off-flavor, and an indication of phenol contamination. I don't know if that was the case here, or if that's actually what they were going for in the beer, but either way, this simply did not sit well with me. Fortunately I only got a sampler and not a full serving, because I doubt I'd have made it through the whole glass.

I like barleywines, I like smoked beer, and I generally love rye beers. But this....this was extraordinary, and not in a good way.

10-24-2011 23:47:55 | More by Rifugium
valianes

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

03-17-2014 01:09:44 | More by valianes
peensteen

2.3/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Brownish red colour, two fingers khaki head, some lace. Smell is all smoke and salt/peat, spice and some faint caramel, there is a bit of hop underneath all the smoke/peat as well. Taste is just all salt water and smoke, sweet at first followed by bitterness, but this is just wave after wave of iodine and smoke. Medium body, medium slightly prickly carbonation. This was pretty terrible all around, and the vast majority of the bottle saw the drain, never again.

12-04-2013 12:51:43 | More by peensteen
donactive

Sweden

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

09-22-2012 10:44:00 | More by donactive
Bendurgin

Maine

2.7/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle shared by Andy. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a muddy chestnut brown with no head at all.

First thing I thought when I smelled it was bacon raisins (take that for what you will BAs). Big smokehouse aroma is a frontrunner with your usual suspects of dark fruits and a little bit of dark rich mollasses. If nothing else, it's interesting. The flavor is much like the aroma. Smokey cedar with raisins is really what I'm getting.

The feel medium bodied with soft carbonation. A little bit dry on the finish. Overall, this one is unique. I would immagine this is pretty much what the brewers where gunning at with this beer. It's just not what I was hoping for; the flavors just don't work for me.

08-22-2011 01:08:51 | More by Bendurgin
wordemupg

2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

500ml bottle poured into tulip 14/7/12

A dark brown with a deep dark amber edge, thumbs width of dark tan head has decent retention and leaves a few rings of lace

S Oh Dear! I get burnt band aid, rubber, and salted berries, wasn't expecting smoked malt and this ones smells like they soaked the malt in chemicals before smoking it

T a little improvement over the smell but the band aid is still strong and I get a little juniper and smoked meat helping its cause but it needs more help then that, smokey peat lends a hand but I can't get over the adhesive, chemical thing it has going for it

M very thick and has perfect carbonation, no heat is quite impressive for 11%, in fact I get not booze anywhere with this one, quite sticky on the lips and if it weren't for the aftertaste I'd have something special in this department

O once I caught whiff of the burnt adhesive I just couldn't shake it, I don't dislike the salty peat but It's overwhelmed by lousy aspects of this beer, I'm impressed how well the the booze is hidden but I'd rather have boozy heat too be honest

I had very high hopes for this one after the gems I've had from this brewery. perhaps I got a bad bottle because its pretty rare I'm way below the average, either way I won't be buying any to see how they age

07-15-2012 06:38:35 | More by wordemupg

mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured into tulip.

Pours 1/4 finger of beige head. No retention. Color is a dark ruby hued bark brown.

Aroma: A lot of spices. Cloves, bananas, berries, malts, and cinnamon. Massive spices and booze.

Taste: More spice and booze. Raisins, plums, smoked malts, cocoa, berries, cherries, and some grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and warming. Medium bodied with a lower to medium amount of carbonation. Ends really dry and spiced.

Overall, a really weird beer. Not sure on the style. I am not the biggest fan of it. A small glass was fine.

07-31-2011 23:42:11 | More by mothman
biboergosum

2.93/5  rDev -24.1%

500ml bottle. Hey, the 'sun turned' not that long ago around here too, and its effect is, as usual, becoming slowly more noticeable. I do like the creepy Inuit with the old-school futuristic shades depicted on the label.

This beer pours a murky, dark reddish brown colour, with one finger of dense, tight foamy beige head, which leaves a solid, uninterrupted mesa profile of lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of acrid smoked malt, fruity and medicinal at the same time, which is a bit of an assault to the ol' olfactory senses, lemme tell ya - not much else could be perceptible beyond that. The taste is more of the same meaty smoke character, unfortunately, though thankfully blended into a heavy caramel/toffee malt, with some burnt (of course) field berries and singed (yes) bitter leafy hops grinning and bearing it all for our mutual displeasure.

The bubbles are probably as scared as I am, and do their best to show it by staying low and out of the way, the body rendering the first good news in terms of a decently hefty medium weight, and an inexplicably discordant overall smoothness. It finishes on the sweet side, the struggling malt having its day in the face of the medicinal, band-aid-esque smokiness. All else is seemingly lost in the fray.

Jebus H. Christ! I was initially distracted by the folksy solstice info, so I didn't actually read the ingredients before jumping into this. Turns out there's nothing there that would indicate the palate-fuck one should expect here - does one have to indicate smoking the shit out of any of your malt-based inputs? Anyway, take a possibly agreeable big barleywine, toss in on the BBQ, and see what transpires, I guess. It does settle down about halfway through (yeah, I persevered), but maybe that's just the heretofore ignored 22-proof booze.

07-20-2012 03:32:04 | More by biboergosum
joemcgrath27

2.93/5  rDev -24.1%

A - pitch black with just a bit of hazy light getting through near the stem of the tulip glass, thumb of tan head held nicely with fairly consistent lacing
S - its a smoke bomb, maybe a touch of leather, can't say much more than that except that was not what I was expecting at all
T - so much big smoke to the point that its tough to drink, it is so overwhelming that there is nothing barelywine about it, have a feeling this is in the wrong style
M - once you get past the smoke it actually drinks relatively well for 11%
O - not sure what to say about this, I want to like it but its like i'm sitting around a fire and the wind has shifted in my direction, and that's not a comfortable feeling, strange....

06-16-2013 02:47:16 | More by joemcgrath27