Dark Horizon 3rd Edition - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.
Ratings: 191 | Reviews: 110

This might be my first or second online review, but I've tasted upwards of 1000 beers, most of them dark. Seeing this rated so poorly was surprising, because I would consider this the best beer I have ever tasted, replacing the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout which had previously taken that title (and then, only for greatest stout).

Opening the tin, I was hit by a sweet smell right away, so I knew this would be a sweet beer. Pours an oily black, with a slight chocolate-brown head. Nose is sugar, alcohol, heavy malt, and chocolate.

I expect little to no carbonation, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It's soft, but definitely present. Medium to thick mouth feel and incredibly complex. This may be one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted, and the friend next to me agrees. They really went overboard with this one. The coffee and chocolate is perfectly balanced unlike in some of the best coffee/chocolate stouts, probably due in part to the huge sugar presence. The sweetness lingers, as well as a hundred different flavors. Truly the best beer I have ever had, but I can see this disappointing those who can't take the sweetness, or prefer beers with more hop character.

It has been a long time since I have been impressed by a beer and this one has done it!

Pours very dark with little head.
Aroma is sweet with a hidden earthiness form the hops.

15.5% and 100 IBUs

The 100 IBUs are well hidden by the exquisite balance of the roasted malts. Quite sweet but, not overpowering (the high hop content helps balance this). Overall very balanced for being such a big beer. The coffee flavour adds a nice dimension witout competing with the other flavors.

Everyone tonight that tried this beer was overwhelmed. Even those who traditionally don't like big beers enjoyed the complexities that this beer offered.

This is my first beer by Nogne and I can't wait to get my hands on more.

4.92/5  rDev +39%

A: well carbonated, dark brown head, not foamy. receded to lace on initial pour. completely opaque black body-- onyx with a hint of light touching the periphery

S: coffee, fruit (cherries, raisins, plums), chocolate, biscuits, with a touch of hop. Incredibly complex, finishing with a hint of heat on the tail end.

T: first sip is chocolate chip cookies with a heaping espresso coat. second shows more fruit. each sip is a bit different depending on size and duration of swig.

M: silky smooth, traces of heat. leaves a sweet coating in the mouth. less carbonation than expected.

D: just an amazing beer. I tend to shy away from calling a beer something I would drink every day, but this qualifies if it were possible.

One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.89/5  rDev +38.1%

This beer is crazy little SOB.

It comes out of the bottle like a dark brown motor oil accompanied by a thin tan head.

The nose took me by surprise. Initially there are the stereotypical stout notes: coffee, chocolate and vanilla but let it warm up and all you can smell is intense citrus hops, like opening a new package of chinook hops from the homebrew store. I don't like to drink stout cold so I waited for this moment to drink any of it.

Rich chocolate with caramel hits your mouth with light hints of coffee and vanilla. There is next to no hop character on the pallet but when you smell it, you would think you're about to taste an IPA. Its a crazy dichotomy that works for this little strong guy. The heat really isn't present at all which is impressive for a 15.5% beer.

The mouthfeel is as rich as it looks, full bodied (39 degrees plato) with a little bit of carbonation that tingles the pallet.

This beer was given to a friend of mine by a guy visiting the brewery he works at in trade for some stuff in the reserve room. Amazing beer if you can get your hands on it.

4.87/5  rDev +37.6%

TheBeerCarl (below) whom shared in this adventure gave a great summary. I would however note:

The appearance was the only non-perfect aspect here. Nothing to distinguish it from the oily and viscous Darkness consumed before (perhaps slightly more opaque), or many other BIG stouts. Not perfect, but excellent.

I found the hops to play more evenly on the nose and palate, with more of a rich herbal contribution to the heavy choco-coffee and crazy malt complexity. There is an interesting earthy/stone note that brings the extra wow.

I found the mouthfeel to be one of the most amazing aspects. Like melting chocolate in your mouth. For the high ibu's, no abrasiveness, just silky and mouthcoating.

Just huge thick stuff that I couldn't get enough of. So damn good that you want to savor each little sip, and hence, an amazingly high drinkability. Just begs for more to slowly enjoy.

I. Need. More.

4.85/5  rDev +37%

Obtained from Green's on Piney Grove Road in Columbia, SC. Kudos to the staff for bringing this offering to our jurisdiction.

Appearance - Poured a deep dark brown/black. A nice tan head formed upon the intial pour, with moderate lacing forming on the sides of my DFH snifter. The head resolves to a nice ring with support from below obvious. Can't see through this bad boy.

Smell - Caramel nose jumps at you with a somewhat sweet malty backbone showing through as well. Some aroma hops gracing the table but not to distraction. Toasty/bready warm an inviting nose. Lovely depth, it appears, to follow.

Taste - Lush/bold in your face chocolate/coffee presence. Wow, this caught me off-guard. As the song says, "breathe deep...", for this is something to savor. Small sips lead to explosions of coffee and chocolate flavor profiles. Caramel and toffee round out the middle. Outstanding peppery/hop bite at the end lead to a cleansing finish that strips the lush flavors from your tongue, so you can start all over again.

Mouthfeel - Again, rich and lush. So complex and dense it's like you are chewing on your beer (in a good way). Ample carbonation. Doesn't detract or overdo, very much adds as appropriate.

Drinkability - 15.5% ABV? Where?? This is a dangerous offering from several standpoints. This is the smallest Dark Horizon offering in the three years they have been making this available, yet is priced accordingly. This is the best Dark Horizon so far. After not being impressed at all with 2nd edition, this not only puts them back on track, but exceeds their 1st edition benchmark. Buy all you can. I did.

4.57/5  rDev +29.1%

Dark Horizon (3rd edition)! Bottle bought at Whole Foods Tribeca for $13.99 plus tax. Pricey, sure, but so glad I found this beer (which I didn't even know existed, and is available nowhere else in NYC).

Appearance: Dark Horizon the 3rd pours fluid and calmly, more like a sherry or port than a beer. Only a slim rim for a head, and even this disappears soon. This is flat, still and ominous. Black, thick, impenetrable.

Smell: Wow! This could easily be the best-smelling coffee stout. EVER. Acrid, natural coffee- picture just-picked beans lying on a rustic burlap sack in Indonesia while the farmer smokes a hand-rolled cigarillo that further perfumes the coffee harvest. Yeah. Also smoke and cured ham/bacon, a farm in Appalachia manned by part-time coal miners. Intense! Man, I love it when a beer smells like this... it triggers the memory and the imagination. Liquorice and booze to round it all up, plus some mysterious sweetness I can't quite pin down.

Taste: My initial sip catches me unguarded and makes me grimace. What kind of fuckery is this!? The nose did not prepare me for the taste... but a second sip and I'm ready for more. Sure, this is sweet and then some, but in a good way. A roasty-smoky sweetness, like a wacky liquid dessert created in the kitchens of WD-50. More ham and nourishing taste. Cold coffee with tons of cream and sugar. Wood, barbeque, burning paper. A tad of honey, reminds me of being at the kiva of Picuris Pueblo in New Mexico. Wilderness. Oh my! I am in love.

Mouthfeel: No carbonation, but fine. Full body and flavor, super delicious booze. A little too dry, if anything.

Overall: I ran out of beer before the mouthfeel and could have used another 8 ounces to properly finish my review. Sure, this is super hot and boozy, but oh so delicious!! And for 15.5%, not that crazy, really... if it were cheaper, I would buy again in an instant.

4.55/5  rDev +28.5%

The beer is dark, dark brown, a small tan head, no lacing and good curtains.

The smell is obtrusive, dark roasted coffee, dark fruits, candy sugar.

A big sweet surprise, candy sugar, caramel, marzipan, coffee, raisins, fig marmalade, dark chocolate.

Little carbonation, oily and sticky, a big fat body, a warm fuzzy feeling.

This is the ultimate dessert, much better than most other stuff you get.

4.54/5  rDev +28.2%

On-tap 4/16/2011 at Armsby Abbey in Worcester served in an over-sized wine glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, short beige head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains rich dark chocolate, robust roasted malts and some coffee.

T: The taste starts out with a hearty roasted malt character and a strong chocolate flavor. There is some coffee and dark fruit in the background. The hops presence is very mild but complementary. There’s a strong alcohol sting that mysteriously lessens as you continue to sip the beer (and it’s just because the effect of the strong alcohol). The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Very smooth with some crispness, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easy, not too filling, very strong kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent high-powered big stout to sip on for a long time.

4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a dark brown color head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with notes of black chocolate and light coffee is quite enjoyable though also quite intense. Taste is sweeter then anticipated with some black chocolate notes and some light liquorice notes as well. Body is full with an oily texture with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol which is somewhat surprising considering the ABV. More of a sipper then something I would drink on a regular basis.

4.49/5  rDev +26.8%

Purchased at R.S.V.P. in Portland, ME. Tiny bottle in a tin can.

Pours a super thick black with very little carbonation activity. Looks like oil. Nose smells like a big black hole of scorched earth, coffee and black black malt.

Palate is big and aggressive right of the bat. Bitter and almost corrosively thick. At first it's like coffee extract, then like Kahlua, still like Kahlua and then mellows out into a mocha espresso drink taste and then to tasting like (cold) hot cocoa.

Notes: Wow. What a fucking awesome beer! This is seriously thick, but seriously complex and evolves as you drink it. I think some people will probably hate this or not "get" it, but it's damn fine!

4.45/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

What a beer, poured out as a dark brown color with a decent brown looking head. The head settles into just a thin ring around the glass. Not much lacing here. The smell is huge, lots and lots of boozy coffee, dark chocolate, and some fermented sweet dark fruits. The taste is strong with coffee and chocolate, the other flavors are burnt, very sweet and dry. The mouthfeel is oily and slick, it coats the mouth really well. Overall this beer is huge, it's got so much flavor. I really enjoy this beer personally but it pretty pricy for such a little bottle.

4.42/5  rDev +24.9%

A: rubber sticker atop a black cap. Pours to the globe a dark brown opaque ale with a single finger of graham head. This falls in a minute or two to a broken sheet of the same. Spotty lacing. Appears medium bodied with slight legs. (4.0)

S: Plenty of cocoa and milk chocolate tones are braided with some anise, dark fruits and hints of spicy yeast and some coffee. Nutmeg and allspice alongside cinnamon muddled in butter. Yum! (4.5)

T: whoa, much sweeter than I had anticipated. The coffee is still here, but the fruits take hold midway through. This is interesting. Some hints of teriyaki. Raspberry? I think Iike it, but feel like it should be served in a port glass as a compliment to a gluten free, dark chocolate cake. As it warms, some leather and tobacco tones. Man, this is rich. (4.5)

M: Medium to viscous. Low to medium carbonation. Finish is mouth-watering and I immediately want another sip, not drink, sip. A little heat from alcohol - guessing ABV is up there (dub digits). (4)

O: I really am enjoying this beer. I wish it was a 6oz pour, I had an hour and a half to drink it, a nice glass of scotch on the rocks and an oily maduro cigar coincide the resonance of this one. I feel like this beer is a gamble for many, but a home run for me. (4.5)

4.4/5  rDev +24.3%

Rating No. 2,700 on RateBeer.

Thanks to my brother for sending this beer my way. This was drank alongside the 2nd edition.

The beer pours a deep black color with a tan head. Absolutely no light is getting through this beer. The aroma is full of coffee and chocolate with some roasted malt. It smells a lot like the 2nd edition.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, with a few changes. The main flavor I get is chocolate and bourbon. Unlike the 2nd edition, this beer has a big coffee note in the flavor which really compliments the other two major components. The alcohol is actually fairly well hidden, although you can definitely tell it is there. Overall, the beer is very sweet and would make it tough to drink too much of this beer.

Thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

The big difference between the 2nd and 3rd editions of this beer is the addition of the big coffee notes in the 3rd edition. For this reason, I feel the 3rd edition is a better beer.

4.32/5  rDev +22%

Blind BIF #5, Beer #6 courtesy of abraxel.

A-Deep dark brown to black with just a little pool of tan head and no lacing at all.

S-Wow, that's boozy! Hot caramel, bourbon, toasted marshmallow, vanilla beans. Bring it on!

T-Hot hot hot! Sweet warm and boozy, bourbon balls, vanilla, caramel. Boy do I like this. Glad it's a 12 oz, though.

M-Medium bodied, lingering sweet heat. Very nice indeed.

O-Well, this is right up my alley. Delicious, warm, tasty, rich and wonderful.

My guess: uh, bourbon barrel aged imperial stout? If it's anything else, I could not guess.

The answer: Dark Horizon 3. Who knew Nogne O bottled in 8.5 oz (good idea, though). No barrel I guess, but that 15.5% ABV came from somewhere.

4.27/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick, impenetrable consistency. There was a small amount of tan-colored, foamy head that quickly dissipated. OK lacing.

S: A sharp aroma of coffee, chocolate, caramel, dark fruit and alcohol.

T: Tasted of coffee more than anything else, with some raisins, caramel, and chocolate. Alcohol wasn't as prominent as I expected, but still evident (not nearly as evident as it was in the previous Dark Horizon edition). A robust flavor.

M: An average amount of carbonation with a slick finish. A full-bodied beer with a viscous character.

D: This beer reminded me of Nogne's Sweet Horizon, with a bit more coffee. This won't appeal to everyone, but I did find it drinkable.

4.26/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is like an albino russian imperial stout, and by that I mean it's dark, but you can still see some light through it.

If you like the scent of barbecue and terriyaki, you will enjoy smelling this beer over and over. The smoke from the malt is present, and blankets a meaty, sweet barbecue aroma that I am finding fantastic. I don't care that it is a beer and that this is unusual for beer, I care that it is awesome! Oh, and after all these years you can still get a little coffee; the peppery aroma from coffee is there among the smorgasbord.

M is for mmmm. I like sweet beers, so I really like this one. Beyond that it also sits my tongue down and tells it a story about a little coffee bean that went to a barbecue party and tasted many wonderful smokey concoctions and went home with a thorough coating of smoke and barbecue residue. I taste molasses, light vinegar, dark fruit, and coffee.

The viscosity is pleasant, like a stout, but pleasantly mellowed by the aging process.

4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

Was very pleasantly surprised after having read so many negative reviews.
Had held in cellar for 4 years, and thought time to find out for myself.
Beer poured a deep dark black with slight deep dark brown accents to light. No head what so ever.
Nose was rich candy with sweet dark fruit. Currants, figs and dates. Slight bitter probably coffee influence as much as hops but mostly concentrated malts.Very complex nose, noticeable but very subdued booze.
Rich malty character that has aged into a base of dried sugar fruits with some molasses and tamarind like bitterness. Coffee seemed lost in mix, but clearly added to complexity and depth beyond the sweetness. Very pleasant sipper.
Syrupy smooth mouth feel. Cloying with very little alcohol noticed, and definitely no burn.
Overall struck me as a dark highly concentrated English barley wine. Seemed almost a Eisbock like reduction though flavor more BW.
Certainly not consistent with other's opinions, but my bottle was great...I found this a very enjoyable evening sipper, and worked very well with other flavors...plate of pecans, Maytag blue and a big H.Upmann

4.22/5  rDev +19.2%

A: Pours an opaque black with virtually no head. Only a small ring of white lace is noticeable on the sides of the glass.

S: The aroma is dominated by dark chocolate and coffee, though aromas reminiscent of brown sugar, port, and madeira emerge as the beer warms.

T: This is easily the most interesting stout I've tried in a while. Notes of port, madeira, coffee, cream, brown sugar, dark chocolate, and herbal hops bludgeon the tongue. The finish is long and delicate with coffee and chocolate again taking over, though traces of warming alcohol and brown sugar also make their way down the throat. For a beer that hits 100 IBU, the hops are almost an afterthought.

M: Thick and viscous in the mouth, Dark Horizon is far from dry. Expect a very luscious, full- bodied beer with subtle carbonation that emerges just before the swallow. In some respects, this is more like drinking a port than drinking a beer.

O: This is an interesting and delicious beer, though I can imagine that this one is not going to win over a great number of people. Compared to many stouts that are brewed with coffee, it is very sweet, and the port-like body and flavor may be a bit much for some drinkers. Overall, I'm quite impressed, especially considering that this kind of stout is not normally my thing.

4.17/5  rDev +17.8%

Tiny 250ml bottle protected by some neat packaging --> snifter.

A: jet black with no head, mild beady lace. Brownish ring forms around the top of the brew. Can't expect much head from a beer this strong.

S: huge roasted coffee aroma, some chocolate, malts, booze. Nothing too out of the ordinary for a high-gravity RIS.

T: completely different than expected...holy moly! Big coffee taste start to finish, but very very sweet and almost milky. Not balanced at all -- reminds me more of a sugary Starbucks brew than beer -- but I really like sugary Starbucks drinks! And I really like this beer. Much more of an after-dinner aperitif than beer.

M/D: a full, silky smooth brew with low (perfect) carbonation. Although I definitely wish there were more than 8.5 measly oz in this bottle, I'm not sure how much more of this I could really take in a single sitting. Only mild alcoholic warmth as it goes down; for a beer this big, it's far too easy to drink.

Again, this one's definitely not balanced in the slightest, but it's off the charts in a direction I really love so I'll be purchasing it again soon. A+ on creativity, lower on overall stylistic balance. Cheers!

4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

appearance: Dark brown with some red highlights. Not exactly a huge head but reasonable for a 15% plus.
smell: This is unusual. Can't find the word to identify the particular dominant smell but it's nice. Not quite burnt, not quite nutty.
taste: Oh man, wasn't ready for that. I would have expected a dry taste based on the nose but this one starts with a rush of sweetness. First reaction is damn, this is gonna be a sugary mess but the finish smooths her out and leaves you with a damn, i want some more.
overall: Just short of great. Not sure what some age would do to this but sure glad i got to try it.

4.14/5  rDev +16.9%

Coffee stouts are usually beers that I like to drink. Adding 100 IBU's to the mix looks unsound. Making the beer over 15% ABV could be suicide, but I will progress. Let's pop the cap of this 8.5 ounce bottle and move onto the beer:

Make much darker does black get? As black as shiny and polished oil. A tiny fuzz of head forming on top and goin away, no lace sticking around, but it does leave some legs around for a short time. The nose is supercharged and obliterates your nostrils. There's a lot of great smelling coffee and vanilla coffee beans that's uplifitng. Smoking wood adds a second layer of aroma. Some bittering hops add a sort of bitterness to the nose, adding the third layer.

Very sweet taste, but I like it. It's a good thing the beer was loaded with coffee beans to offset the sweet base, or I would have put myself through some pain to finish the small bottle. A ton of toasted brown sugar, coffee beans and their roast, a "pinch" of hop bitterness, and a good kick of alcohol (yet for its size is hidden pretty well). It's full bodied, slightly chewy, and low carbonated, which helps make the beer go down.

Dark Horizon #3 was fun on paper, and is just as fun to drink. This outta put me to sleep for the night.

4.12/5  rDev +16.4%

Well this is my 50th beer review, and I thought it should be a special one, so I grabbed this! Cheers!

Poured from a tiny 8.5oz bottle into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours an extremely dark brown with a 1 finger brown head.

S - Has a strong coffee/espresso aroma, followed by the alcohol smell. I even get notes of black licorice and smokey peat!

T - Woah! Very sweet, smokey, and warming as it goes down. I can taste the backbone of coffee in this, molasses, and some burnt malty notes as well.

M - Full, heavy mouthfeel. Great carbonation.

O - This is a very unique brew. More sweet than I was expecting tho. I'm gonna buy at least one more to cellar for a bit to compare the flavors. The alcohol is very present, but at 15.5% that's what I expected. My only complaint is the price! $10.99 and that's for a little 8.5oz bottle!

4.1/5  rDev +15.8%

250ml bottle poured into a snifter. Thumbs down for the pointlessly elaborate packaging (A metal cylinder AND tissue paper! Fancy!). Thumbs up for a sensible bottle size. 500ml is way too much for a beer this big. Just because I don't have any friends doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to enjoy quality beer.

A: Pours black with brownish notes. Head is nonexistent as expected.

S: Sugar and coffee.

T: Intense sugary sweetness with coffee on the back end. I have a hard time believing that this is 100 IBU, because I'm not picking up any hops at all. The sweetness fades, but the coffee lingers in the aftertaste. Amazingly, alcohol is undetectable.

M: Medium-bodied but strongly syrupy.

D: I think this beats out 120 Minute as the easiest drinking high alcohol beer I've ever had. I never would have guessed that this was 15.5% ABV in a blind taste test. In fact, if the flavors weren't so intense, it would almost be sessionable. This isn't an all day every day beer by any means, but it is an excellent nightcap.

4.09/5  rDev +15.5%

Bottle shared by Jason at my 22nd birthday, 250ml bottle into a tulip.

Poured almost black, dark brown around the edges. Light brown bubbly collar, with little-to-no head. Nose has heavily sugary and caramelized dark fruits off the bat. Intense espresso and coffee notes, some alcohol as well but not at the level of the stated ABV. Roasty as hell, with some subtle brown sugar. Taste is very sweet and roasty, brown sugar, vanilla, and sugary dark caramelized fruits ("in that order of perception" as my notes indicate). Sweet raisins in the finish. Sweet but roasty and bitter lingering mouthfeel. Lightly cloying but drinkable, the minimal alcohol presented is impressive (or maybe I was just that far gone?). Certainly very rich, a sample of this sufficed; surprisingly subtle alcohol was the highlight of the show here.

Dark Horizon 3rd Edition from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S