Dark Horizon 3rd Edition - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Dark Horizon 3rd EditionDark Horizon 3rd Edition

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.
1.64/5  rDev -53%

Appearance: pours a nice black color with a beige head. Sadly that is where the pleasant feelings end.

Smell: smells like smoke and diabetes. Tragically sweet aroma. I actually want to throw up a little bit just by smelling this beer. There are some good components going on - I get hints of coffee and chocolate along with the smoke - it's just too difficult to actually enjoy them behind the sickly sweet aroma.

Taste: my god this is actually the sweetest anything I've ever consumed. I thought southern tier creme brûlée was sweet, then I drank this. I hate it. I can't drink it. Why did I pay this much money for this?

Mouthfeel: sweet. Very thick. Kind of like drinking Aunt Jemima syrup.

Overall: literally the most disappointed I've ever been in a beer and the most horrifically sweet beverage I've ever tasted. I should also say that I'm usually not too thrown off by very sweet beers. Overall, I enjoyed Southern Tier Creme Brulee (and actually thought the sweetness was more restrained than I anticipated given what I had heard prior). I loved Founders Big Lushious. I like Dark Lord. But this? This is just so far beyond palatable that I can't comprehend how anyone would enjoy it. Given that it is aged almost 5 years at this point, maybe it got sweeter over time? (although logic tells me that the sweetness should have actually mellowed)...

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

Was very pleasantly surprised after having read so many negative reviews.
Had held in cellar for 4 years, and thought time to find out for myself.
Beer poured a deep dark black with slight deep dark brown accents to light. No head what so ever.
Nose was rich candy with sweet dark fruit. Currants, figs and dates. Slight bitter probably coffee influence as much as hops but mostly concentrated malts.Very complex nose, noticeable but very subdued booze.
Rich malty character that has aged into a base of dried sugar fruits with some molasses and tamarind like bitterness. Coffee seemed lost in mix, but clearly added to complexity and depth beyond the sweetness. Very pleasant sipper.
Syrupy smooth mouth feel. Cloying with very little alcohol noticed, and definitely no burn.
Overall struck me as a dark highly concentrated English barley wine. Seemed almost a Eisbock like reduction though flavor more BW.
Certainly not consistent with other's opinions, but my bottle was great...I found this a very enjoyable evening sipper, and worked very well with other flavors...plate of pecans, Maytag blue and a big H.Upmann

1.3/5  rDev -62.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Two explanations for why I bought this, even in spite of its middling reviews and exorbitant price:
1. The first edition was amazing, and so maybe I figured this would be just as good.
2. I am basically a beer snob lab rat, and if a product evinces strong signs of rarity I automatically assume that it will be good. It's a small bottle that comes in a can! Oh my, how jealous they all shall be when they see me coming around with my fancy beer.

As soon as I poured it, I realized painfully that the second explanation makes much more sense.

It pours dark red with--I'm not kidding--and unpleasant greenish hue. It looks like sewage.

Smells like the most overpoweringly sweet barley I've ever come across.

Tastes like the most overpoweringly sweet barley I've ever come across. Like if you mixed together teryaki sauce with Hershey's syrup with several cups of white sugar. The nearest thing I can compare it to is Sam Adams' abominable Triple Bock, only Triple Bock was more balanced and at least had a novelty factor going for it.

Imagine adding a half cup of white sugar to 8 ounces of Malta Goya and then sitting it out in the sun for a week so it gets nice and flat.

Absolutely undrinkable. Three people combined could not finish an 8 ounce bottle.

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

8.5oz bottle

Pours a dark brown color, some hints of black in the center, no head, doesn't appear to be flat just no bubbles formed a cap on top... hopefully that's the case.

Smell starts out primarily roasted malt with hints of fig, upon further investigation with my nose, I find subtle hints of coffee, quite surprising how long I've sat on this bottle, a little evidence of chocolate grazes the nostrils as well.

Taste is like woah, I wasn't expecting it to be so sweet, roasted malt with copious amounts of sugar just assault the mouth and takes awhile to adjust, behind the sweetness there is some decent flavor, huge dark fruit presence, slight bitter aftertaste of coffee but it's not nearly strong enough to balance this beast, carbonation is very low but there's enough activity to warrant mention, definitely a syrupy sticky finish.

The Dark Horizon's seem to be worse each time, edition #1 was amazing, #2 less so, this one even further down the line and most of the offshoots haven't been impressive either. Either way, I'm glad this is such a small bottle since I'm sipping on it by myself.

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

250ml nip poured into tulip 11/10/13, cheers Adam for opening this little monster

A Just a splash so no head or lace shouldn't surprise me especially in a 15.5%er, legs galore

S tobacco smoked apple, bacon and teriyaki with a little soy but it works fairly well

T more like a cooking marinade then anything but its decent, coffee on the finish but reminds me more of a cooking sauce then anything

M thick and smokey, no heat impresses me

O I'd stopped taking notes about halfway through the feel it would seem but overall I'd say its a decent beer but nothing great, I sound like I'm being hard on it wanting to cook with it but I'd try it again.

After the Abyss, Mellow Corn 50-50, Black Tuesday, Grey Monday, Chocolate Rain, and Mikkeller Black Islay I'm a little surprised I can even read my notes. That was a lot of big stout for one night, my head still hurts.

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

Found this brew heavily discounted so had to give it a try. 8.5 oz bottle poured into CBS snifter. Pours an opaque dark brown with no head to speak of. The nose start with bold smokey notes followed by candy sweetness and earth tone coffee. The taste starts with loads of residual sugar, Heavy brown sugar and dark fruits mainly, this is followed by a hint of smoke with almost no coffee. The mouthfeel is heavy and somewhat syrupy with low carbonation. Overall, this is interesting, but way too heavy handed on the malty sweetness. I'm glad I only have 8.5 ounces of this to tackle as that in itself will be tough.

3.98/5  rDev +14%

250 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled in 2010. Pours pitch black color with a small foamy tan head with poor retention, that reduces to a ring of lace. Slight spotty lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, toast, toffee, light char, molasses, and roasted earthiness; with some slight booze. Nice aromas with good balance and complexity of coffee and roasted/dark malt notes; and good strength. Taste of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, toast, toffee, light char, molasses, tobacco, and roasted earthiness. Lingering notes of coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, toast, toffee, molasses, tobacco, light char, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice balance and complexity of intense dark/roasted malt flavors with coffee; with zero booze or cloying sweetness after the finish. Light carbonation and very full bodied; with a creamy, slick, syrupy, and fairly chalky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden for 15.5%, with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice imperial coffee stout. Very nice intense and balanced dark/roasted malt flavors with coffee; and definitely a sipper to enjoy slowly. A very enjoyable offering.

3.3/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

8.5oz bottle, with its own fancy carrying case

Thank god this was only 8.5oz - who could possibly drink more of this? No carbonation - very syrupy, soy sauce, teryaki, bitter coffee. Cloyingly sweet, molasses, booze and more booze. Batch 1 of this was solid (and a whale) - what the hell happened to this beer?

3.72/5  rDev +6.6%

I suppose I can see where the scores for this are on the low side but I'm pretty impressed by this beer. For something that's 15.5% alcohol it has characteristics that I'd expect. It is very sweet but still manages to not be syrupy. The coffee drink thing is very much there. Coffee and cream and sugar. Anyone with a strong sweet tooth should be really happy with this.
I would be very happy to get the fourth edition of this.

4.26/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is like an albino russian imperial stout, and by that I mean it's dark, but you can still see some light through it.

If you like the scent of barbecue and terriyaki, you will enjoy smelling this beer over and over. The smoke from the malt is present, and blankets a meaty, sweet barbecue aroma that I am finding fantastic. I don't care that it is a beer and that this is unusual for beer, I care that it is awesome! Oh, and after all these years you can still get a little coffee; the peppery aroma from coffee is there among the smorgasbord.

M is for mmmm. I like sweet beers, so I really like this one. Beyond that it also sits my tongue down and tells it a story about a little coffee bean that went to a barbecue party and tasted many wonderful smokey concoctions and went home with a thorough coating of smoke and barbecue residue. I taste molasses, light vinegar, dark fruit, and coffee.

The viscosity is pleasant, like a stout, but pleasantly mellowed by the aging process.

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

From 05/25/13 notes. Opened this the day after having the Second Edition. 8.5 oz bottle poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a pitch black color with less than one inch of dark tan head and no carbonation evident. Looks nice but no carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coffee, sweet sugar and molasses, sweet chocolate, roasted malts, alcohol, and some vanilla. Nose is nice but a little too sweet for me; loads of sugar and sweetness.

t - Tastes of same sweet coffee, sweet sugar, molasses, sweet dark fruits, roasted malts, alcohol, burnt malts, and toasted malts. Taste has more coffee than the nose and no vanilla; it also has a lot of sweet dark fruits. Taste is way too sweet for me.

m - Medium to full body and low to no carbonation. Body is thick and chewy.

o - Overall this beer is just way too sweet for me; the worst of the three dark horizon editions for me. I drank a 16.7 oz. bottle of the 2nd edition the night before that was boozy but easier to get through than this 8.5 oz. bottle; just too much sweet sugar and booze for me. Would not suggest picking this one up considering how much these guys cost.

4.04/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours with no head on top of an opaque, black body. A light ring of lacing persists on the glass and leaves moderate lace in its wake.

S - Bourbon, vanilla, rum, chocolate, cinnamon, awesome.

T - Sweet, sweet, chocolate and coffee up front. Notes of anise, blackberries, clove and cinnamon in the middle. Finishes with lots of vanilla, cinnamon, dense chocolate, and cola syrup.

M - A thick, syrupy body, and a sweet, sweet finish.

D - Well, it smells better than almost anything else I have ever had, but it manages to really drop it with the flavor. An oddly flawed beer, if it was much, much less sweet it could be something world class.

3.54/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: no head on a a near jet black body.

S: rum, bourbon, some roasted malt, milk chocolate, chili peppers

T: really really sweet. This is like pure white and brown sugar. Reminds me of a coffee that you put too much sugar in. It is even sweet enough to dull but not erase the bourbon/whiskey character. For the abv the booze are actually pretty tame.

M: little carbonation and creamy body.

Overall:I simply can not get over the sweetness. It is too dominant for me.

2.6/5  rDev -25.5%

8.5oz bottle into my Devil's Backbone glass. Dark brown in color with just a thin tan ring barely forming around the edges of the glass. Pretty still looking overall.

Aroma has a big dark fruit component with fig and dark cherry notes. I'm also getting a good amount or roasted coffee and brown sugar to it. Interesting mix of flavors, it's pretty good but the sweeter dark fruits do seem to dominate it unfortunately.

The dark fruits are even stronger in the taste and become overwhelming. Coffee and alcohol show through in the finish and the roasted flavor lingers for a while. It's very sweet, almost sugary like a darker fruit juice at times though.

The mouthfeel is thin for the style with carbonation being low. Overall, I didn't think it was a good beer of the style unfortunately. The dark fruit sweetness was just way overdone and cloyingly sweet at times. The roasted malts and coffee were pretty much completely overshadowed unfortunately.

4.14/5  rDev +18.6%

Coffee stouts are usually beers that I like to drink. Adding 100 IBU's to the mix looks unsound. Making the beer over 15% ABV could be suicide, but I will progress. Let's pop the cap of this 8.5 ounce bottle and move onto the beer:

Make much darker does black get? As black as shiny and polished oil. A tiny fuzz of head forming on top and goin away, no lace sticking around, but it does leave some legs around for a short time. The nose is supercharged and obliterates your nostrils. There's a lot of great smelling coffee and vanilla coffee beans that's uplifitng. Smoking wood adds a second layer of aroma. Some bittering hops add a sort of bitterness to the nose, adding the third layer.

Very sweet taste, but I like it. It's a good thing the beer was loaded with coffee beans to offset the sweet base, or I would have put myself through some pain to finish the small bottle. A ton of toasted brown sugar, coffee beans and their roast, a "pinch" of hop bitterness, and a good kick of alcohol (yet for its size is hidden pretty well). It's full bodied, slightly chewy, and low carbonated, which helps make the beer go down.

Dark Horizon #3 was fun on paper, and is just as fun to drink. This outta put me to sleep for the night.

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours like coca-cola but with less carbonation. The beer was almost entirely flat. Smells like age with sherry notes, dark overly ripe plums, figs, raisins, and booze. First sip is like biting into a fermented fig-newton…not just the filling but the cookie too. The taste mirrors the aroma but with more booze. What a sweetness bomb. Just a little coffee present as I am guessing this puppy was very different when fresh. As it warms, a tad more coffee appears adding to a finish that turns from overly sweet to slightly bitter. The 100 IBU seems to have also eased over time. The 15.5% ABV is not hidden at all and is right there with you sip after sip. I like the complexity and will not penalize this beer for not being fresh.

3.63/5  rDev +4%

Black with an oily sheen. Very little head except for some whispy bubbles that settled on top of the beer.

Booze, but that's expected of the 15.5 percent. Light coffee, some sweet roasted malts to back it up, but tons of booze. A bit of a soy sauce sourness.

Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. Some molasses and dark fruit add to the sweetness. Bitter coffee finish, and a consistent heat from the booze.

Very viscous and thick. Full bodied and a very minor carbonation. Boozy heat, but not overbearing.

The sweetness definitely stole the show and it almost became cloying, though I actually enjoyed it. The alcohol also became pretty dominant at times. I could see where they wanted to go with it, but the beer was a bit muddied and confusing.

3.67/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 8.5 oz. capped bottle (No Date) into a snifter glass.

A vigorous pour yields a faint dusting of off-white head that disappears nearly as quickly as it formed, leaving only a thin foam ring. The body is a dark brown, similar in color to the bottle from which it was poured. Light seems incapable of penetrating the thick body. Very little lacing can be seen throughout consumption with literally none standing the tests of time or gravity.

The first recognizable aroma is concentrated soy sauce with hints of teriyaki sauce. A strong alcohol aroma makes sure to sting the nostrils at the end of each sniff. Digging deeper reveals lots of dark fruit notes, including plum and raisin. Also noticeable is molasses and vanilla. The nose is certainly deep and complex, but not necessarily enjoyable.

Sweet dark fruit flavors impact the tongue immediately, giving notes of sour grapes, bruised peaches, fig, and raisin. Swirling the beer around the mouth allows these flavors to come out a bit more but also calls forth flavors of dark chocolate, fudge, molasses, and caramel. Swallowing the beer brings forth a stampede of sugary sweetness, like the last sip of a neglected coffee that had too much sugar added and hadn't been stirred in a while. This is soon followed by an overpowering alcohol heat that envelops the entire mouth, laying waste to all the previous flavors. As this quickly fades, the flavor of semi-melted sugar reemerges and lingers on the palate between sips.

The body is nearly as thick as motor oil. It is sticky and messy, like the syrup from a jar of maraschino cherries. The sugary sweetness coats your mouth and remains there indefinitely. The carbonation is not overly noticeable but definitely plays a big role in keeping this beer drinkable. At such a high alcohol, the thick and sticky body is expected and any less carbonation would probably make this beer untouchable.

3.92/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark molasses brown with no standing head. Glazing alcohol legs. 3.5

Sweet chiming alcohol with huge roasted notes of chocolate, black coffee, and peat smoke. Powerfully hot on the nose. 4.0

Holy chocolate pudding. Big, sweet alcohol with rich chocolate and dark roast coffee flavors. Like a cafe Americano spiked with Godiva Chocolate Liqueur. Not as smoky as the nose pointed at. Some dark dried fruit undertones that carry some weight--prune and raisin. 4.5

Stupid hot, but that's the idea. Stupid sweet, but 'sugars' are the third listed ingredient. Falters with flatness. The body is syrupy big and sticky sweet. Genuine sipper. 2.5

Part of a three-way Horizon tasting. First one is this Dark - Third Edition. 3.5

1.94/5  rDev -44.4%

A: Pours an opaque black color. A thin, bubbly, watery looking tan head forms and vanishes in a second. No lace.
S: Big roasted malt. Acrid coffee, very sweet chocolate. Alcohol stings the nose.
T: Over barring sweetness. Can you say over attenuation? Burnt acrid coffee. Charred wood and ash, huge roast. Over barring solvent like alcohol.
M/D: A full sticky body. Overly syrupy, like an adhesive. Way to much solvent like alcohol. Really hard to sip on.

WOW, this is over barring. I am a fan of the brewery, but this is to much. Not something I enjoy at all.

3.36/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle from The Wine Seller in a neat little can sleeve. A bit pricey. Pours dark black with very little head at all. Aroma of wet dog and booze, some roast. This one comes on hot! Very warming on the palate with some burnt chocolate and musty wet-dog like booze. Heavy on the palate, low carbonation, bordering on a dark barleywine flavor. This was okay, but a bit much for me even though I tend to enjoy stronger beers. Tough to choke down more than an ounce or two.

2.57/5  rDev -26.4%

Tiny 8.5oz bottle into Block 15 snifter. Bought it cuz it looked cool. Damn you marketing.

A: Pours near black with almost no head. A short layer of foam appeared after the pour but quickly disappeared into a faint collar. No lace.
S: Huge notes of alcohol vapor in this one. You can smells every bit of the 15.5% alcohol. I also get scents of burnt coffee, peat, vanilla and some very sweet brown sugar.
T: Wow! Cloyingly sweet. This tastes like pure sugar! The sugar overpowers everything, but in the finish I can detect coffee, sweet chocolate and a hint of alcohol. Despite the nose, the strong alcohol is actually masked by all the sugar in this beer. My mouth is coated in a sugary film after every swallow.
M: Very slick mouthfeel, almost syrupy, from all the sugar. The body is thick and the carbonation is low and made up of fine bubbles. It almost isn’t noticeable. The alcohol doesn’t burn at all, but I get a slight warming in my throat after the swallow. I’m surprised how masked it is.
O: Holly crap, this one took me by surprise. I was expecting a very boozy hot beer from the high alcohol content. I was not expecting to be drinking sugar water. The sweetness is so cloying that this beer is hard to drink. Maybe ageing this for 5 or 10 years would let the sweetness die down. I’ll never know, I’m not spending my money on this series again.

1.25/5  rDev -64.2%

A: Poured deep oily black with absolutely zero head retention even when forced.

S: Reaks of teryaki sauce and bbq pulled pork with charred roast and chocolate at the end.

T: This beer was absolutely and utterly disgusting. The only flavors that i picked up from this 3oz snifter pour were roasted teryaki and strange bbq sauce. What is this beer cause it defintely does not taste like an imperial stout. First time i headed towards the sink

M: Thick deep and insanely sweet with little to no carbonation.

O: Drain poured this puppy. Just couldnt stomach it. Complete waste of money

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

This beer is a bit harsh. Not sure that it deserves the 80 rating that it currently has, but it is definitely bitter and has some harsh tones. The alcohol overpowers the beer and the underlying tastes, which are good. This is a nice sippin' beer.
A: Dark brown/black with minimal head
S: Alcohol with some coffee/mocha notes
T: Alcohol again
M: Somewhat oily and slick
O: Not bad...

3.35/5  rDev -4%

A: Pours a very dark brown with just a hint of bubbles along the edges of the glass (too thin in my opinion to even be called head). There was absolutely no lacing whatsoever.

S: Aromas were extremely sweet, almost overpowering, with a slightly medicinal aspect. The alcohol was very present and almost smelled like the beer has been fortified with spirits (like a port).

T: Flavors were extremely sweet, cloyingly so - candy sugar, syrup, and alcohol. Just a hint of coffee flavor as the beer warmed. Seemed to be really out of balance to me.

M: Medium bodied but a little bit thin with almost no carbonation.

O: Very much a dessert beer and needs to be treated that way (any serving more than a cordial glass is probably too much). Much too sweet and too much alcohol present to really be something that could be easily enjoyed. Could really use a touch more bitterness to make it enjoyable for me.

Dark Horizon 3rd Edition from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S