Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Dark Horizon 3rd Edition - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

Dark Horizon 3rd EditionDark Horizon 3rd Edition

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.
1.25/5  rDev -64.2%

A: Poured deep oily black with absolutely zero head retention even when forced.

S: Reaks of teryaki sauce and bbq pulled pork with charred roast and chocolate at the end.

T: This beer was absolutely and utterly disgusting. The only flavors that i picked up from this 3oz snifter pour were roasted teryaki and strange bbq sauce. What is this beer cause it defintely does not taste like an imperial stout. First time i headed towards the sink

M: Thick deep and insanely sweet with little to no carbonation.

O: Drain poured this puppy. Just couldnt stomach it. Complete waste of money

1.3/5  rDev -62.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Two explanations for why I bought this, even in spite of its middling reviews and exorbitant price:
1. The first edition was amazing, and so maybe I figured this would be just as good.
2. I am basically a beer snob lab rat, and if a product evinces strong signs of rarity I automatically assume that it will be good. It's a small bottle that comes in a can! Oh my, how jealous they all shall be when they see me coming around with my fancy beer.

As soon as I poured it, I realized painfully that the second explanation makes much more sense.

It pours dark red with--I'm not kidding--and unpleasant greenish hue. It looks like sewage.

Smells like the most overpoweringly sweet barley I've ever come across.

Tastes like the most overpoweringly sweet barley I've ever come across. Like if you mixed together teryaki sauce with Hershey's syrup with several cups of white sugar. The nearest thing I can compare it to is Sam Adams' abominable Triple Bock, only Triple Bock was more balanced and at least had a novelty factor going for it.

Imagine adding a half cup of white sugar to 8 ounces of Malta Goya and then sitting it out in the sun for a week so it gets nice and flat.

Absolutely undrinkable. Three people combined could not finish an 8 ounce bottle.

1.61/5  rDev -53.9%

Reviewed from notes:
On tap at Armsby Abbey

A: Pitch black, no head.

S: Sugar (a mix between straight crystal sugar and anise), dark chocolate, espresso, booze. Lots of booze. You can smell the heat.

T: Did someone spill splenda in my beer? Sickly sweet. Make me want to puke, sweet. Can't drink more than an ounce or two, sweet. While the chocolate and coffee are quite strong with a bit of dark fruits, there's just WAY too much sweetness and booze. The best description I can give is this: concentrated mocha syrup spiked with grain alcohol and solvent. Disgusting.

M: Extremely thick and oily, no carbonation. Absolutely no carbonation to speak of. It's like drinking maple syrup, but with a FAR more revolting taste.

O: This could probably become a great beer with work, but as it is, it's undrinkable. There absolutely needs to be carbonation. The sugar sweetness is at turned up to 11, it needs to go down to like 5. I'll be honest, I only got a 2 ounce sample... and I'm glad I did. I could barely finish it. There's no way I could tackle even just 4 ounces of this mess. Way too hot, way too sweet, no carbonation. I'm trying hard to not give this an F.

1.64/5  rDev -53%

Appearance: pours a nice black color with a beige head. Sadly that is where the pleasant feelings end.

Smell: smells like smoke and diabetes. Tragically sweet aroma. I actually want to throw up a little bit just by smelling this beer. There are some good components going on - I get hints of coffee and chocolate along with the smoke - it's just too difficult to actually enjoy them behind the sickly sweet aroma.

Taste: my god this is actually the sweetest anything I've ever consumed. I thought southern tier creme brûlée was sweet, then I drank this. I hate it. I can't drink it. Why did I pay this much money for this?

Mouthfeel: sweet. Very thick. Kind of like drinking Aunt Jemima syrup.

Overall: literally the most disappointed I've ever been in a beer and the most horrifically sweet beverage I've ever tasted. I should also say that I'm usually not too thrown off by very sweet beers. Overall, I enjoyed Southern Tier Creme Brulee (and actually thought the sweetness was more restrained than I anticipated given what I had heard prior). I loved Founders Big Lushious. I like Dark Lord. But this? This is just so far beyond palatable that I can't comprehend how anyone would enjoy it. Given that it is aged almost 5 years at this point, maybe it got sweeter over time? (although logic tells me that the sweetness should have actually mellowed)...

1.75/5  rDev -49.9%

Poured into a chalice. This has a pretty nice head to it for the strength; about an eighth inch and nice mocha color. The body is dark dark brown.

The aroma is strong of raw vegetables and alcohol. Not very good.

The taste is full of sweet molasses and sugar, followed by alcohol. This is too sweet and too boozy.

The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Carbonation is light, but there.

This is not enjoyable. At all. This is a drainpour.

1.94/5  rDev -44.4%

A: Pours an opaque black color. A thin, bubbly, watery looking tan head forms and vanishes in a second. No lace.
S: Big roasted malt. Acrid coffee, very sweet chocolate. Alcohol stings the nose.
T: Over barring sweetness. Can you say over attenuation? Burnt acrid coffee. Charred wood and ash, huge roast. Over barring solvent like alcohol.
M/D: A full sticky body. Overly syrupy, like an adhesive. Way to much solvent like alcohol. Really hard to sip on.

WOW, this is over barring. I am a fan of the brewery, but this is to much. Not something I enjoy at all.

2.02/5  rDev -42.1%

A: Very dark color with some light brown / dark tan colored head.

S: Pickles, jalapeno peppers, soy sauce, tobacco, burning plastic, peat, islay scotch, and possibly burning garbage heap.

T: Unfortunately, it tastes a lot like the scent. Like someone took a bunch of tabasco sauce, soy sauce and some chocolate milk, mixed them up and poured them into a spittoon of chewing tobacco spittle.

M: Good viscosity and density. Above average level of carbonation.

O: One of the worst imperial stouts - actually, one of the worst beers of any sort - actually, one of the worst substances of any sort that I've ever put in my mouth. Ended as a very expensive drain pour.

2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

Andrewinski1 kindly opened up this tiny bottle to share with me. Thanks! Poured into a tulip. Pours with a nice robust looking dark black body and just a thin bubbly layer of tan foam. Hardly any, but a bit of whispy lace here.

Boozey as all hell in the aroma. Lots of hot alcohol, black sharpies, rubber. I'm trying to find something good here. It does have a good aroma of dark roasty barely and if you can get past the obsinities you can find trace amounts of coffee in the aroma, but it's nothing to write home about here. This simply smells bad. Taste a lot better than it smells, Has a rich caramel flavor with a bit of coffee. It's really boozey and really sweet though. Seriously sweet. I'd love to see it toned down.

Thick and chewy on the feel. Low carbonation here. Overall, this is a huge stout. Insane. When I drink these beers I wonder if they just aren't my bag. But I've had some high abv stouts that I've liked that are well balanced. When it comes down to it I don't think I could even finish a whole bottle of this on my own. I'm glad I split an 8.5 ounce bottle. I really don't think this is worth the heafty price tag.

2.32/5  rDev -33.5%

A - Very dark brown with a tiny, short lived, mocha colored formation of slight bubblage. The tiny bubbles rise to the surface and dissipate into a very thin ring around the glass. Slightly viscous appearance with no lacing.

S - Rich caramelly sweetness and a big acrid burnt aroma. Slightly smokey with a somewhat harsh, solventy aroma. Bitter chocolate throughout. And thick smoke, almost like burning tires when combined with all the gnarly estres and phenols.

F/M - Sweet rich caramelly malt sweetness with a huge smokey burnt acrid flavor. Rich and thick. The smokey burnt chocolate flavor lingers for quite a long time. Dark fruits, raisins, and cherries are also noticeable. Weird phenolic <edit> soy sauce* <edit> Moderately high bitterness and a thick, sweet finish. Some of the flavors are reminiscent of a high quality sherry. Low carbonation.

D - This is the epitome of a "sipper." Rich, thick, full of challenging flavors and quite boozy. Its just too much for my palate and certainly not my bag. In fact, I find it rather hard to drink, yet extremely easy to drainpour. It has been a long time since I've had to suffer through this kind of punishment just for a tick - and an expensive one at that.

*After reading a couple of the other reviews, the soy sauce flavor descriptor is the best description I can find for the flavor. Salty, rich and very "umami" with a lingering earthy "thing."

2.34/5  rDev -33%

A worthwhile effort that fell REALLY short....really, really, really short. Sweet to the extreme, syrupy and boozy to boot. Looked nice on the pour, but had no head whatsoever even though I tried to get one out of it. Lots of fruitiness on the nose, dark and sticky. The taste just blasts you with sugar. I offered a sip to the 4 other people in the room and each one had the same reaction, scrunching up their face and stating "yuck"....across the board. At $13 a pop (8.5 oz?!?) this should have been the best beer I had all month. It was the worst one I've had all year. The marketing however is great...damn you Nogne...

2.35/5  rDev -32.7%

A= This beer pours a deep black color and from the pour it looked hazy. I like to check out the beer as it comes out of the glass and this one looked hazy and sort of grey. The head on it almost looked non-existant and I thought it was flat for a second until a thin skin rose to the top for a second. No head retention or lacing is evident but there are long legs.

S= Deep and smokey. Sort of interesting. Never smelled a beer like this before. Meaty smellig. The coffee comes through nicely as well. I get a little soy sauce from it. The alcohol I feel like is there however the heavy meaty smokey notes totally cover it up. It smells earthy sort of. I can't quite put my finger on this smell but I do recognize it. Not totally my thing I must say. While it is huge pungent and different I dunno how much I like it in my imperial stout.

T= The smell comes through quite a bit in the taste. It is much sweeter than I expected from a 100 IBU beer. There is a lot of sweetness that hits the tip of your tongue and sits on your lips. The sweetness tastes like sugar water to me it's so sweet. The middle is more like the traditional RIS. There is still a lot of sweetness to it. The coffee comes through in the end mostly along with a little heat from the alcohol. Really unique. It also has a bit of a soy sauce taste to it. It reminds me of the dredded Sam Adams Triple Bock a little bit... not quite as bad.

M= It hits you super slimy and flames your tongue on the back. Too thin.

D= Well I must say I'm a little dissapointed. I'm happy this is such a small bottle because I dunno how much of it I could handle. Sip this slowly for sure and let it warm. It get a little better with warmth.

2.38/5  rDev -31.8%

This was a pretty big let down for me. I had such high expectations from this beer and it let me down completely. This small bottle was shared among three people and we still didn't finish it.

The appearance is a dark black with lighter brown edges. It pours with a finely carbonated cocoa head that does not last very long. It is oily and leaves a leg on the sides of my glass.

The smell is of burnt coffee, and sugar. There is a very strong smell of roasted malts as well.

It is incredibly sweet, with harsh burnt flavors. It has an extreme roasted grain taste with a fair amount of heat. Overly sweet combined with a sickening coffee flavor make this almost unbearable.

This is one of those beers that you can share with eight to ten people. It should be treated more as a liquor, and is a great candidate for aging. It was hard to drink, but maybe with some time this will turn into something better.

2.46/5  rDev -29.5%

8.5oz bottle, heavy pour into a snifter.
Deep, dark black with a half inch of head, minimal lacing.
Nice dark malts and coffee head up the smell, earthy background.
The Norse must LOVE sugar, because that's most of what I taste. There is some coffee and chocolate, but it is significantly overpowered by sugar. No hint of the huge ABV, which is nice. Mouth is sweet and sticky.
More sugar than you can shake a stick at. Note to brewer, less sweet please... Same goes for Red Horizon.

2.48/5  rDev -28.9%

Ouch! The packaging is by far the best part of this beer.

Dark brown look, no lacing, no head. Not the best start.

The smell is lots of coffee roast, maybe the best coffee either, with lactose and sugary malt notes. I said that it seemed like coffee with lots of cream and sweet and low in it.

The taste is worse, way too sweet and milky, and the coffee is like 7-11 stuff. Yikes!

Mouth is ok, this is not a drinkable beer really.

2.55/5  rDev -26.9%

Intro: 8.5 oz. bottle shared with a friend.

Appearance: Dark chocolate brown, really more black than brown, with no head, thick with some brown lacing when swirled but quickly drops.

Smell: Chocolate with some roasted coffee notes and alcohol and a very sweet aroma.

Taste: Thick syrupy sugar taste with a shot of coffee and alcohol at the end. It's just too sweet for me to enjoy. Like a soft drink without the carbonation. And then there's the burnt aftertaste. Not a good combination.

Mouthfeel: Definite alcohol feel in the throat with a thick oily coating.

Overall: Just too sweet and thick to swallow, really too sweet, almost a sugar diabetic shock. A sipping beer at best but a struggle to finish the pour. It can almost make you gag from the sweetness, and not a good sweetness.

Conclusion: I've had two day old coffee that was easier to finish than this beer. Sweet, sweet, sweet and thick and did I mention it's sweet.

2.56/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours black with very little head. What carbonation exists tends to be on the fizzy side, as in I can actually hear it. That paper-thin layer of fuzzy bubbles quickly dissipates to a ringlet (can't even call it a crown).

The smell indicates that alcohol and sugar are battling for dominance, with no quarter given. With such a high ABV, I'm not surprised to smell the alcohol, but I didn't expect this to smell so sweet. The bottle and tin use the word "coffee", but I can find no sign of it in the nose.

The taste is just as sweet as it smells. Once I get past this, I can taste a few other flavors, including the coffee. The coffee is still disappointing, as it reminds me more of a poorly poured shot of espresso than good joe. Before the coffee there is a hint of smoke.

Mouthfeel is very thin, which I expected as soon as I poured it. I was hoping for a thick and chewy stout, but this is the opposite.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it and I'm tempted to pull out a 2.0 to compare. I have a couple bottles of the 3.0 so I think I will just let them all gather some dust to see what time will do to it. It's totally different from the 2.0 I had a couple years ago and is a bit of a disappointment.

2.56/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Thanks, Alex! 250ml bottle (thank the Lord) into Darkness tulip.

A - Pours black, thin collar, some bubbles here and there.

S - Very medicinal, very boozy, very harsh. Reminds me of a teriyaki chocolate charred mess. Does that sound good to you? No, I didn't think so.

T - Worse then the nose, but barley. Chocolate charred teriyaki is basically what I'm going to call this one. Huge booze in there as well, which also doesn't make me want to drink anymore...as if I needed the help.

M - Full, rich, creamy finish, light carbonation.

O - This one is pass/avoid for me. The 1st and 2nd Edition's were much better, and I highly doubt this Edition will ever get to the level(s) of the first two. Avoid, do not drink...I gave you fair warning!

2.57/5  rDev -26.4%

Tiny 8.5oz bottle into Block 15 snifter. Bought it cuz it looked cool. Damn you marketing.

A: Pours near black with almost no head. A short layer of foam appeared after the pour but quickly disappeared into a faint collar. No lace.
S: Huge notes of alcohol vapor in this one. You can smells every bit of the 15.5% alcohol. I also get scents of burnt coffee, peat, vanilla and some very sweet brown sugar.
T: Wow! Cloyingly sweet. This tastes like pure sugar! The sugar overpowers everything, but in the finish I can detect coffee, sweet chocolate and a hint of alcohol. Despite the nose, the strong alcohol is actually masked by all the sugar in this beer. My mouth is coated in a sugary film after every swallow.
M: Very slick mouthfeel, almost syrupy, from all the sugar. The body is thick and the carbonation is low and made up of fine bubbles. It almost isn’t noticeable. The alcohol doesn’t burn at all, but I get a slight warming in my throat after the swallow. I’m surprised how masked it is.
O: Holly crap, this one took me by surprise. I was expecting a very boozy hot beer from the high alcohol content. I was not expecting to be drinking sugar water. The sweetness is so cloying that this beer is hard to drink. Maybe ageing this for 5 or 10 years would let the sweetness die down. I’ll never know, I’m not spending my money on this series again.

2.6/5  rDev -25.5%

8.5oz bottle into my Devil's Backbone glass. Dark brown in color with just a thin tan ring barely forming around the edges of the glass. Pretty still looking overall.

Aroma has a big dark fruit component with fig and dark cherry notes. I'm also getting a good amount or roasted coffee and brown sugar to it. Interesting mix of flavors, it's pretty good but the sweeter dark fruits do seem to dominate it unfortunately.

The dark fruits are even stronger in the taste and become overwhelming. Coffee and alcohol show through in the finish and the roasted flavor lingers for a while. It's very sweet, almost sugary like a darker fruit juice at times though.

The mouthfeel is thin for the style with carbonation being low. Overall, I didn't think it was a good beer of the style unfortunately. The dark fruit sweetness was just way overdone and cloyingly sweet at times. The roasted malts and coffee were pretty much completely overshadowed unfortunately.

2.65/5  rDev -24.1%

Dark Horizon 3rd Edition | 250 ml. (8.5 oz) | 15.5% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
Glass: Duvel tulip

A black bottle, wrapped in orange paper, within a black tin canister.

Black as night. Piddling head and lacing at this ABV.

Espresso, dark chocolate, soy sauce?!

Sweet, almost sugary. It has a strong whiskey-like solvency in the beginning that blends into a very flavorful, but quite chalky espresso and dark chocolate taste.

Way to thin, almost watery. Virtually no carbonation.

I found it quite unbalanced. Flavor is thin until the end and the alcohol is unbalanced and not as tasty as I'd hoped.

Would I get it again?:

Bottled: ?
Served: January 12, 2010

Price = $15.00 at Witherspoon Wines

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

25cl bottle thanks to Gregg.

Pours much lighter than I was expecting as it settles in as a deep mahogany with light showing through easily around the edges. There is a small tan head but it doesn't hang around long.

Aroma is burnt chocolate malts and spent espresso grounds. Little bit of smoky/ashy character going on as well, seriously, like a cigarette ashtray. Lots of fusel alcohol in the nose. Harsh nose overall.

Taste is sweeter than the aroma by a long shot, but not more balanced. It's just all over the place with heavy syrupy sweetness, almost like cough syrup with some charred ash and massive fusel alcohol in the finish.

The mouthfeel is scorched earth with ashes and tar mixed with caramelized sugar. Nasty aftertaste.

Overall, this is not my cup of tea or beer for that matter. Harsh stuff all the way around with way too much ashy cigarette and sugary cough syrup. No thank you.

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A - just a hint of brown at the edges. Short tight tan head.

S - sweet old dried fruit, chocolate, day old coffee and a touch of ash in the finish.

T - liquid sugar. Like you dipped a sugar cube in Mocha coffee then ate it. A bitter liquid dessert.

M - sugar pucker with alcohol burn in throat with a good coating.

O - you really have to sip this, but you don't really want to finish it.

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

This beer is a bit harsh. Not sure that it deserves the 80 rating that it currently has, but it is definitely bitter and has some harsh tones. The alcohol overpowers the beer and the underlying tastes, which are good. This is a nice sippin' beer.
A: Dark brown/black with minimal head
S: Alcohol with some coffee/mocha notes
T: Alcohol again
M: Somewhat oily and slick
O: Not bad...

2.81/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours jet black with a thin mocha head, which dissipated quickly and left behind a little lacing on the glass. Not too surprising given the high ABV.

The smell reminds me of a blend of bitter coffee and soy sauce.

Hints of coffee in the taste, but the strange soy sauce smell that appeared in the nose is slightly present in the taste also. Very sugary sweet.

Slightly above average body and very little carbonation. Drinkability is average at best due to the strange soy sauce flavor. It's a good thing this was a small bottle because it wold be tough downing a 12oz or larger bottle of this stuff. I had high hopes for this one, but am very disappointed.

2.91/5  rDev -16.6%

One time I made a solution of raisins and coffee that I soaked in rum for a month,to add to an imperial stout I was making. This beer tastes and smells exactly like that solution. Very odd flavor profile. Coffee, charred sugar, smoke, and raisin. Picture taking a spoonful of blackstrap molasses and a shot of espresso and mixing it around your mouth.

The alcohol is soooo smoooth in this beer though. Seriously, 15.5%??? I would never believe it.

This being said, that's about the only good thing I can say about this beer. The overwhelming coffee flavor stands in the way of drinkability. I wouldn't recommend spending $15 or $16 on this.

Dark Horizon 3rd Edition from Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S