Dark Horizon 3rd Edition - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

good

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.50% ABV

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.

(Beer added by: TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010)

dsigmon, Sep 11, 2014

GRG1313, Aug 18, 2014

KAF, Aug 06, 2014

zestar, Jul 19, 2014

PalatePilot, Jul 08, 2014

acurtis, Jul 01, 2014
1.29/5  rDev -63.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Two explanations for why I bought this, even in spite of its middling reviews and exorbitant price:
1. The first edition was amazing, and so maybe I figured this would be just as good.
2. I am basically a beer snob lab rat, and if a product evinces strong signs of rarity I automatically assume that it will be good. It's a small bottle that comes in a can! Oh my, how jealous they all shall be when they see me coming around with my fancy beer.

As soon as I poured it, I realized painfully that the second explanation makes much more sense.

It pours dark red with--I'm not kidding--and unpleasant greenish hue. It looks like sewage.

Smells like the most overpoweringly sweet barley I've ever come across.

Tastes like the most overpoweringly sweet barley I've ever come across. Like if you mixed together teryaki sauce with Hershey's syrup with several cups of white sugar. The nearest thing I can compare it to is Sam Adams' abominable Triple Bock, only Triple Bock was more balanced and at least had a novelty factor going for it.

Imagine adding a half cup of white sugar to 8 ounces of Malta Goya and then sitting it out in the sun for a week so it gets nice and flat.

Absolutely undrinkable. Three people combined could not finish an 8 ounce bottle.

mynie, Jun 29, 2014

KVNBGRY, Apr 13, 2014

afsdan, Mar 21, 2014

GABrew, Mar 17, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

8.5oz bottle

Pours a dark brown color, some hints of black in the center, no head, doesn't appear to be flat just no bubbles formed a cap on top... hopefully that's the case.

Smell starts out primarily roasted malt with hints of fig, upon further investigation with my nose, I find subtle hints of coffee, quite surprising how long I've sat on this bottle, a little evidence of chocolate grazes the nostrils as well.

Taste is like woah, I wasn't expecting it to be so sweet, roasted malt with copious amounts of sugar just assault the mouth and takes awhile to adjust, behind the sweetness there is some decent flavor, huge dark fruit presence, slight bitter aftertaste of coffee but it's not nearly strong enough to balance this beast, carbonation is very low but there's enough activity to warrant mention, definitely a syrupy sticky finish.

The Dark Horizon's seem to be worse each time, edition #1 was amazing, #2 less so, this one even further down the line and most of the offshoots haven't been impressive either. Either way, I'm glad this is such a small bottle since I'm sipping on it by myself.

deltatauhobbit, Feb 22, 2014

Benesi88, Nov 09, 2013

david131, Nov 02, 2013

Scapino, Oct 27, 2013
3.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

250ml nip poured into tulip 11/10/13, cheers Adam for opening this little monster

A Just a splash so no head or lace shouldn't surprise me especially in a 15.5%er, legs galore

S tobacco smoked apple, bacon and teriyaki with a little soy but it works fairly well

T more like a cooking marinade then anything but its decent, coffee on the finish but reminds me more of a cooking sauce then anything

M thick and smokey, no heat impresses me

O I'd stopped taking notes about halfway through the feel it would seem but overall I'd say its a decent beer but nothing great, I sound like I'm being hard on it wanting to cook with it but I'd try it again.

After the Abyss, Mellow Corn 50-50, Black Tuesday, Grey Monday, Chocolate Rain, and Mikkeller Black Islay I'm a little surprised I can even read my notes. That was a lot of big stout for one night, my head still hurts.

wordemupg, Oct 13, 2013

Kmat10, Oct 12, 2013

IanSpindler, Oct 12, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -6.3%

Found this brew heavily discounted so had to give it a try. 8.5 oz bottle poured into CBS snifter. Pours an opaque dark brown with no head to speak of. The nose start with bold smokey notes followed by candy sweetness and earth tone coffee. The taste starts with loads of residual sugar, Heavy brown sugar and dark fruits mainly, this is followed by a hint of smoke with almost no coffee. The mouthfeel is heavy and somewhat syrupy with low carbonation. Overall, this is interesting, but way too heavy handed on the malty sweetness. I'm glad I only have 8.5 ounces of this to tackle as that in itself will be tough.

homebrew311, Oct 03, 2013