Dark Horizon 3rd Edition - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

good

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.50% ABV

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.

(Beer added by: TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010)
1.53/5  rDev -56.7%

Reviewed from notes:
On tap at Armsby Abbey

A: Pitch black, no head.

S: Sugar (a mix between straight crystal sugar and anise), dark chocolate, espresso, booze. Lots of booze. You can smell the heat.

T: Did someone spill splenda in my beer? Sickly sweet. Make me want to puke, sweet. Can't drink more than an ounce or two, sweet. While the chocolate and coffee are quite strong with a bit of dark fruits, there's just WAY too much sweetness and booze. The best description I can give is this: concentrated mocha syrup spiked with grain alcohol and solvent. Disgusting.

M: Extremely thick and oily, no carbonation. Absolutely no carbonation to speak of. It's like drinking maple syrup, but with a FAR more revolting taste.

O: This could probably become a great beer with work, but as it is, it's undrinkable. There absolutely needs to be carbonation. The sugar sweetness is at turned up to 11, it needs to go down to like 5. I'll be honest, I only got a 2 ounce sample... and I'm glad I did. I could barely finish it. There's no way I could tackle even just 4 ounces of this mess. Way too hot, way too sweet, no carbonation. I'm trying hard to not give this an F.

1.78/5  rDev -49.6%

Poured into a chalice. This has a pretty nice head to it for the strength; about an eighth inch and nice mocha color. The body is dark dark brown.

The aroma is strong of raw vegetables and alcohol. Not very good.

The taste is full of sweet molasses and sugar, followed by alcohol. This is too sweet and too boozy.

The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Carbonation is light, but there.

This is not enjoyable. At all. This is a drainpour.

2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

Andrewinski1 kindly opened up this tiny bottle to share with me. Thanks! Poured into a tulip. Pours with a nice robust looking dark black body and just a thin bubbly layer of tan foam. Hardly any, but a bit of whispy lace here.

Boozey as all hell in the aroma. Lots of hot alcohol, black sharpies, rubber. I'm trying to find something good here. It does have a good aroma of dark roasty barely and if you can get past the obsinities you can find trace amounts of coffee in the aroma, but it's nothing to write home about here. This simply smells bad. Taste a lot better than it smells, Has a rich caramel flavor with a bit of coffee. It's really boozey and really sweet though. Seriously sweet. I'd love to see it toned down.

Thick and chewy on the feel. Low carbonation here. Overall, this is a huge stout. Insane. When I drink these beers I wonder if they just aren't my bag. But I've had some high abv stouts that I've liked that are well balanced. When it comes down to it I don't think I could even finish a whole bottle of this on my own. I'm glad I split an 8.5 ounce bottle. I really don't think this is worth the heafty price tag.

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

Well this is my 50th beer review, and I thought it should be a special one, so I grabbed this! Cheers!

Poured from a tiny 8.5oz bottle into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours an extremely dark brown with a 1 finger brown head.

S - Has a strong coffee/espresso aroma, followed by the alcohol smell. I even get notes of black licorice and smokey peat!

T - Woah! Very sweet, smokey, and warming as it goes down. I can taste the backbone of coffee in this, molasses, and some burnt malty notes as well.

M - Full, heavy mouthfeel. Great carbonation.

O - This is a very unique brew. More sweet than I was expecting tho. I'm gonna buy at least one more to cellar for a bit to compare the flavors. The alcohol is very present, but at 15.5% that's what I expected. My only complaint is the price! $10.99 and that's for a little 8.5oz bottle!

4.53/5  rDev +28.3%

On-tap 4/16/2011 at Armsby Abbey in Worcester served in an over-sized wine glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, short beige head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains rich dark chocolate, robust roasted malts and some coffee.

T: The taste starts out with a hearty roasted malt character and a strong chocolate flavor. There is some coffee and dark fruit in the background. The hops presence is very mild but complementary. There’s a strong alcohol sting that mysteriously lessens as you continue to sip the beer (and it’s just because the effect of the strong alcohol). The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Very smooth with some crispness, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easy, not too filling, very strong kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent high-powered big stout to sip on for a long time.

2.65/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A - just a hint of brown at the edges. Short tight tan head.

S - sweet old dried fruit, chocolate, day old coffee and a touch of ash in the finish.

T - liquid sugar. Like you dipped a sugar cube in Mocha coffee then ate it. A bitter liquid dessert.

M - sugar pucker with alcohol burn in throat with a good coating.

O - you really have to sip this, but you don't really want to finish it.

2.55/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours black with very little head. What carbonation exists tends to be on the fizzy side, as in I can actually hear it. That paper-thin layer of fuzzy bubbles quickly dissipates to a ringlet (can't even call it a crown).

The smell indicates that alcohol and sugar are battling for dominance, with no quarter given. With such a high ABV, I'm not surprised to smell the alcohol, but I didn't expect this to smell so sweet. The bottle and tin use the word "coffee", but I can find no sign of it in the nose.

The taste is just as sweet as it smells. Once I get past this, I can taste a few other flavors, including the coffee. The coffee is still disappointing, as it reminds me more of a poorly poured shot of espresso than good joe. Before the coffee there is a hint of smoke.

Mouthfeel is very thin, which I expected as soon as I poured it. I was hoping for a thick and chewy stout, but this is the opposite.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it and I'm tempted to pull out a 2.0 to compare. I have a couple bottles of the 3.0 so I think I will just let them all gather some dust to see what time will do to it. It's totally different from the 2.0 I had a couple years ago and is a bit of a disappointment.

2.68/5  rDev -24.1%

25cl bottle thanks to Gregg.

Pours much lighter than I was expecting as it settles in as a deep mahogany with light showing through easily around the edges. There is a small tan head but it doesn't hang around long.

Aroma is burnt chocolate malts and spent espresso grounds. Little bit of smoky/ashy character going on as well, seriously, like a cigarette ashtray. Lots of fusel alcohol in the nose. Harsh nose overall.

Taste is sweeter than the aroma by a long shot, but not more balanced. It's just all over the place with heavy syrupy sweetness, almost like cough syrup with some charred ash and massive fusel alcohol in the finish.

The mouthfeel is scorched earth with ashes and tar mixed with caramelized sugar. Nasty aftertaste.

Overall, this is not my cup of tea or beer for that matter. Harsh stuff all the way around with way too much ashy cigarette and sugary cough syrup. No thank you.

This might be my first or second online review, but I've tasted upwards of 1000 beers, most of them dark. Seeing this rated so poorly was surprising, because I would consider this the best beer I have ever tasted, replacing the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout which had previously taken that title (and then, only for greatest stout).

Opening the tin, I was hit by a sweet smell right away, so I knew this would be a sweet beer. Pours an oily black, with a slight chocolate-brown head. Nose is sugar, alcohol, heavy malt, and chocolate.

I expect little to no carbonation, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It's soft, but definitely present. Medium to thick mouth feel and incredibly complex. This may be one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted, and the friend next to me agrees. They really went overboard with this one. The coffee and chocolate is perfectly balanced unlike in some of the best coffee/chocolate stouts, probably due in part to the huge sugar presence. The sweetness lingers, as well as a hundred different flavors. Truly the best beer I have ever had, but I can see this disappointing those who can't take the sweetness, or prefer beers with more hop character.

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance-Pours a nearly black chocoalte brown, doesn't quite have the motor-oil consistency I like to see and there is minimal head but given the ABV I can't really detract for that. It looks solid enough.

Aroma-Big, big, big notes of coffee and darkly roasted malt waft over the palette leaving no mistake as to the character of the beer. The alcohol isn't completely hidden but it's hard not to creep through at this ABV. Less complex than I was expecting.

Taste-Sweet, much sweeter than I was expecting, almost liqueur like. The coffee is difficult to pick out over the overwhelming malty sweetness but it's there if you look for it, it comes through mostly in the aftertaste. This tastes more like a black barleywine than an Imperial Stout, interesting, not what I was expecting. The alcohol heat is definitely there as well.

Mouthfeel-Unfortunately the mouthfeel is kinda thin and with the aforementioned alcohol heat it's not doing much for this beer.

Drinkability/Overall-Well, I can see what they were going for but honestly this beer is very overpriced for what it is and it could've been brewed much better. A bit of a dissapointment.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a little out of control tonight i had a Mikkeller Barrel aged Breakfast and that led into a '10 KBS into an '11, this is my night cap though. 8.5 oz bottle in a tin with orange vitamin-c supplement scented orange paper.

It pours an oily viscous black with a foamy tan head that recedes quickly but with some nice spotted lacing.

The smell si actually quite fruity with dark fruit and a hint of charcoal. It has an alcoholic twang to it that is un-missable along with some sugary malty scents.

The flavor is super-sweet, much sweeter than the second edition. It brings to mind doppelbocks like Samichlaus or Eku 28. It is a cloyign sweetness and a hint of "soy sauce" it is a roasty, sweet flavor that is so coying it almost tastes like soy sauce. There is plenty of fruitiness and caramel here as well too, though. It certainly has a bit of complexity, but it is extremely sweet. It does have an inkling of roastiness that creeps in as you sip it. It doesn't have a hint of coffee, which i actually sort-of enjoy, though i wish the coffee bitterness could have cut the sweetness.

It is what I would consider a breakfast beer, I would pair this with steak and eggs or bacon and eggs or some weißwurst. It doesn't have alot of coffee flavor but it has this mysterious sweet smokiness to it that I think would pair perfect with breakfast. And it is only a 8.5 oz bottle, though it pack an alcoholic punch.

This beer is interesting, not as ballsy as the previous edition, but intriguing all its own. It isn't for those who can't take cloying sweetness, that is for sure.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

A - Dark cola with a think halo of white head.

S - Savory and complex. Big booze, smoke, ancho chili, coriander.

T - Big, boozy-sweet chili flavor up front. Coffee and cream. Honey. Coriander and peat smoke.

M - Medium body with a massive kick of alcohol that leads into a sweet finish. Tuck this one away in a cool place for a few years and let it mellow out.

O - Man what an ambivalent beer. Great taste but the young booze just kicks your butt. Given time, this could be a great beer.

2.48/5  rDev -29.7%

Intro: 8.5 oz. bottle shared with a friend.

Appearance: Dark chocolate brown, really more black than brown, with no head, thick with some brown lacing when swirled but quickly drops.

Smell: Chocolate with some roasted coffee notes and alcohol and a very sweet aroma.

Taste: Thick syrupy sugar taste with a shot of coffee and alcohol at the end. It's just too sweet for me to enjoy. Like a soft drink without the carbonation. And then there's the burnt aftertaste. Not a good combination.

Mouthfeel: Definite alcohol feel in the throat with a thick oily coating.

Overall: Just too sweet and thick to swallow, really too sweet, almost a sugar diabetic shock. A sipping beer at best but a struggle to finish the pour. It can almost make you gag from the sweetness, and not a good sweetness.

Conclusion: I've had two day old coffee that was easier to finish than this beer. Sweet, sweet, sweet and thick and did I mention it's sweet.

Glad I finally got to try one of these. Kinda expensive for such a small bottle.

Pours a super black with no head. No lacing.

Aroma is pretty interesting. Smells sweet and roasty with some sort of hops. Can't put my finger on it.

Wow taste is way too sweet. I thought for the size of the bottle I would be able to kill this by myself for sure. Wrong. It's hard to out down. But it's not just sweet. It has some flavor I'm assuming is some sort of spice. I can't put my finger on what it is. There is too much going on in this beer. If it was less sweet though I could easily drink it. Wish they listed some of the ingrediance in the bottle so I could pick them out.

Mouthfeel is cloying. Needs some more carb too.

Overall this beer is way too much. Hopefully my buddy gets home soon so he can drink some of this so I don't waste $17.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours black. An odd highlight around the edge...a bit gray. Weird. Head was about 1 finger of off brown, it didn't stay long and lacing was oily.

Coffee for most in the nose. It seemed strong, but in the back ground. Some unripe black prune and sweet, but dark, chocolate. Sweet and a bit boozy.

Taste is sweet. Almost too much so. Coffee is creamy. Dark fruit comes and goes with some medium malt roast. The added sugar is cumbersome. Sweet. Alcohol is hidden a bit.
Overall the feel seems thin. No sharp twang or overall complexity.

Smaller bottle helps drinkability.

2.3/5  rDev -34.8%

This was a pretty big let down for me. I had such high expectations from this beer and it let me down completely. This small bottle was shared among three people and we still didn't finish it.

The appearance is a dark black with lighter brown edges. It pours with a finely carbonated cocoa head that does not last very long. It is oily and leaves a leg on the sides of my glass.

The smell is of burnt coffee, and sugar. There is a very strong smell of roasted malts as well.

It is incredibly sweet, with harsh burnt flavors. It has an extreme roasted grain taste with a fair amount of heat. Overly sweet combined with a sickening coffee flavor make this almost unbearable.

This is one of those beers that you can share with eight to ten people. It should be treated more as a liquor, and is a great candidate for aging. It was hard to drink, but maybe with some time this will turn into something better.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle from Best Damn Beer Shop (in Super Jr. Market)

A - Poured very aggressively to get a black color with a brown head that fades to a ring and leaves slight lacing

S - Is of roasted malt and very strong coffee scents

T - Starts off pretty roasty then the coffee flavors come out and finishes with a good bit of alcohol

M - This beer has a full smooth body with lighter carbonation to it

D - While this isn't a beer that I'd really want more than a half pint of I will say that for the abv this is a pretty easy beer to sip on I won't be dropping the cash for another anytime soon but I'm not upset that I did on this one I'd say its worth while

4.18/5  rDev +18.4%

Tiny 250ml bottle protected by some neat packaging --> snifter.

A: jet black with no head, mild beady lace. Brownish ring forms around the top of the brew. Can't expect much head from a beer this strong.

S: huge roasted coffee aroma, some chocolate, malts, booze. Nothing too out of the ordinary for a high-gravity RIS.

T: completely different than expected...holy moly! Big coffee taste start to finish, but very very sweet and almost milky. Not balanced at all -- reminds me more of a sugary Starbucks brew than beer -- but I really like sugary Starbucks drinks! And I really like this beer. Much more of an after-dinner aperitif than beer.

M/D: a full, silky smooth brew with low (perfect) carbonation. Although I definitely wish there were more than 8.5 measly oz in this bottle, I'm not sure how much more of this I could really take in a single sitting. Only mild alcoholic warmth as it goes down; for a beer this big, it's far too easy to drink.

Again, this one's definitely not balanced in the slightest, but it's off the charts in a direction I really love so I'll be purchasing it again soon. A+ on creativity, lower on overall stylistic balance. Cheers!

2.42/5  rDev -31.4%

Ouch! The packaging is by far the best part of this beer.

Dark brown look, no lacing, no head. Not the best start.

The smell is lots of coffee roast, maybe the best coffee either, with lactose and sugary malt notes. I said that it seemed like coffee with lots of cream and sweet and low in it.

The taste is worse, way too sweet and milky, and the coffee is like 7-11 stuff. Yikes!

Mouth is ok, this is not a drinkable beer really.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

Had at a BA Tasting in DC over the weekend. Picked up at Rick's Wine and Gourmet.

Brew pours a extremly black color with no hint of light penetrating the brew. Head was thin and formed with only the slightest of help. Which I thought was great for a 15% RIS/Coffee. The aroma was a powerful roasted coffee smell. The first honestly had me take a step back. This brew was way to strong of coffee and roasted flavors. Instantly you can tell this brew is meant to age for years. The rough flavor profile of this brew made it pretty hard to continue to drink. I feel with a 3 to 5 years on this brew, it will taste wonderful.

Will review after I have one with at least 3 years min on it.

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

8.5 fl. oz. bottle served at 52 degrees in my Duck-Rabbit snifter. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a loose, tan-colored head that quickly disperses towards the shoulders leaving a thin, sizzling, bubbly band. Only some residual spots of lacing appear during the tasting. Nose expresses charred coffee, burnt dark sugar, a spicy/woody character and ethanol. There's also a trace of something vegetal as the brew warms. Taste expresses an initial syrupy sweetness that settles on the lips between sips. Soy sauce follows the sweetness, which carries towards the middle before a slight bitterness expresses itself just prior to the finish. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a slight viscosity, almost akin to a cordial with a semi-still carbonation and some residual alcohol heat that lingers at the back of the throat. At 15.5%, the alcohol is very well-hidden; however, this beer is sickeningly sweet and cloying. Even 8.5oz. is too much. This beer completely lacks any kind of balance. Age might help, but I'm not optimistic - it's something of a sugary mess in my opinion.

3.9/5  rDev +10.5%

A: poured a dark brown in color with brown highlights and had a very thin head leaving very little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: It had some good roasty character to it with chocolate, caramel, toffee, booze, and coffee but had a spicey pepper aroma as well.

T: The chile pepper component was more potent on the palate with caramel, chocolate, coffee, toffee accents but had lots of booze and very mild hop notes.

M: the brew was medium to full in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a sweet, boozy, spicy, roasty, and silky finish.

D: it was really different out of all the dark horizon editions which had a spicy kick drank decent and did add some dimension.

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Dark Black with almost a finger of Tan Head that faded quite quickly to leave a light film.

S - Sweet with Honey, Coffee, Vanilla, Raisins, Soy, Molasses, Grass, and Rootbeer.

T - Sweet with Chocolate, Alcohol, Honey, Espresso, Dark Fruit, and Vinegar.

M - Sweet(Very), Bitterness(But not 100 IBU), Alcohol, and light on the Carbonation.

D - Luckly the bottle is as small as it is with all the Sweetness and Alcohol.

I think they included a little too much Honey for this version.

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Picked this up from GBX.

A - Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Pours dark brown, nearly black, with a very faint khaki head.

S - Very boozy, molasses dark sweetness, coffee.

T - Extremely sweet. Varies between an upfront lighter, almost sugary sweetness and a followup sweetness that is more molasses-like, dark malt sweetness. Smokiness, almost an earthy soy sauce flavor. Cocoa and chocolate syrup. Strong alcohol finish. Tastes every bit the 15.5%.

M - Thin bodied, seems to dissolve to an alcoholic burn on the tongue.

2.65/5  rDev -24.9%

Dark Horizon 3rd Edition | 250 ml. (8.5 oz) | 15.5% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
Glass: Duvel tulip

Presentation:
A black bottle, wrapped in orange paper, within a black tin canister.

Appearance:
Black as night. Piddling head and lacing at this ABV.

Aroma:
Espresso, dark chocolate, soy sauce?!

Taste:
Sweet, almost sugary. It has a strong whiskey-like solvency in the beginning that blends into a very flavorful, but quite chalky espresso and dark chocolate taste.

Mouthfeel:
Way to thin, almost watery. Virtually no carbonation.

Harmony:
I found it quite unbalanced. Flavor is thin until the end and the alcohol is unbalanced and not as tasty as I'd hoped.

Would I get it again?: