Dark Horizon 3rd Edition - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

good

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.50% ABV

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.

(Beer added by: TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
2.9/5  rDev -17.6%

One time I made a solution of raisins and coffee that I soaked in rum for a month,to add to an imperial stout I was making. This beer tastes and smells exactly like that solution. Very odd flavor profile. Coffee, charred sugar, smoke, and raisin. Picture taking a spoonful of blackstrap molasses and a shot of espresso and mixing it around your mouth.

The alcohol is soooo smoooth in this beer though. Seriously, 15.5%??? I would never believe it.

This being said, that's about the only good thing I can say about this beer. The overwhelming coffee flavor stands in the way of drinkability. I wouldn't recommend spending $15 or $16 on this.

tombcrypt, Dec 26, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -34.7%

A= This beer pours a deep black color and from the pour it looked hazy. I like to check out the beer as it comes out of the glass and this one looked hazy and sort of grey. The head on it almost looked non-existant and I thought it was flat for a second until a thin skin rose to the top for a second. No head retention or lacing is evident but there are long legs.

S= Deep and smokey. Sort of interesting. Never smelled a beer like this before. Meaty smellig. The coffee comes through nicely as well. I get a little soy sauce from it. The alcohol I feel like is there however the heavy meaty smokey notes totally cover it up. It smells earthy sort of. I can't quite put my finger on this smell but I do recognize it. Not totally my thing I must say. While it is huge pungent and different I dunno how much I like it in my imperial stout.

T= The smell comes through quite a bit in the taste. It is much sweeter than I expected from a 100 IBU beer. There is a lot of sweetness that hits the tip of your tongue and sits on your lips. The sweetness tastes like sugar water to me it's so sweet. The middle is more like the traditional RIS. There is still a lot of sweetness to it. The coffee comes through in the end mostly along with a little heat from the alcohol. Really unique. It also has a bit of a soy sauce taste to it. It reminds me of the dredded Sam Adams Triple Bock a little bit... not quite as bad.

M= It hits you super slimy and flames your tongue on the back. Too thin.

D= Well I must say I'm a little dissapointed. I'm happy this is such a small bottle because I dunno how much of it I could handle. Sip this slowly for sure and let it warm. It get a little better with warmth.

jjanega08, Dec 23, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +7.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks Nick3. From notes.

A: Pours a deep brown body that appears nearly black in the glass. The head is very short-lived, leaving only a few tan swirls on top of the film when all is said and done.

S: Caramel, chocolate: very deep, sweet, and inviting. There's a strong element of smoke that, with the variety of coffee they used, reminds me heavily of smoked ancho peppers. It's not solventy, but there is a booze component on the nose that hints at the strength of the beer.

T: It's initially very sweet. Caramel, chocolate, toffee. There seems to be a strong underlying bitterness that prevents the beer from becoming cloying, though the richness of the sugars is hard to hide. The finish brings out a spicy bite that, as in the nose, suggests to me some kind of pepper was involved. With more sips I realize it's a nice interaction between smoke, hops, and straight-up sugar burn (like eating a tablespoon of raw sugar: that drying presence on your throat is what's going on here).

M: Rich, lush, and thick. Very much a sipper beer. There's some heat involved, but it doesn't feel particularly hot. The sugar burn at the end can be pleasant on a cold night, but I'm looking for a little more complexity when you have the high ABV and high gravity of this beer to work with. Right now it drinks like a heavy version of a smaller stout with a simple flavor profile.

D: This is sized appropriately. No need to put a beer this big in larger bottles. I enjoyed the little bit I got, and this seems (from reputation) to be the smoothest of the 3 DH editions out of the gate.

Arbitrator, Dec 18, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a deep chocolate brown color, looked a bit thin on the pour. The head was rather small and disipated into a light ring.

Big roasted malt aromas, caramel and coffee are strong as well. Some chocolate notes as well as a light sour berry. There is a touch of a medicinal antiseptic scent which seems to be coming from the alcohol.

Whoa, wasn't expecting this flavor profile, flavor is quite sweet. The taste is sugary sweet with strong coffee flavors, reminds me very much of straight kaluha. There are some chocolate malt notes but these are quickly squashed by the sweetness. Some small rustic, woody notes try to pop through as well as some hop flavor. This beer is screaming for a sweet offset, gets cloying after a while. Notes of sour berry start to arise as the beer warms.

The feel is light to moderate with soft carbonation, sweet on the palate, finishes sticky and fairly slick. The ABV is surprisingly well hidden.

Geez, don't know what to think of this beer but very thankful that it comes in a 8oz bottle. This stout is extremely sweet and cloying. Some roast and hop flavor come through but not nearly enough to offset the sweetness. The flavors aren't bad but you need to drink this beer in small doses. The best part of the beer is when I burp I get a wonderful fresh hop aftertaste, weird.

Gmann, Dec 11, 2010
4.04/5  rDev +14.8%

Obtained from Green's on Piney Grove Road in Columbia, SC. Kudos to the staff for bringing this offering to our jurisdiction.

Appearance - Poured a deep dark brown/black. A nice tan head formed upon the intial pour, with moderate lacing forming on the sides of my DFH snifter. The head resolves to a nice ring with support from below obvious. Can't see through this bad boy.

Smell - Caramel nose jumps at you with a somewhat sweet malty backbone showing through as well. Some aroma hops gracing the table but not to distraction. Toasty/bready warm an inviting nose. Lovely depth, it appears, to follow.

Taste - Lush/bold in your face chocolate/coffee presence. Wow, this caught me off-guard. As the song says, "breathe deep...", for this is something to savor. Small sips lead to explosions of coffee and chocolate flavor profiles. Caramel and toffee round out the middle. Outstanding peppery/hop bite at the end lead to a cleansing finish that strips the lush flavors from your tongue, so you can start all over again.

Mouthfeel - Again, rich and lush. So complex and dense it's like you are chewing on your beer (in a good way). Ample carbonation. Doesn't detract or overdo, very much adds as appropriate.

Drinkability - 15.5% ABV? Where?? This is a dangerous offering from several standpoints. This is the smallest Dark Horizon offering in the three years they have been making this available, yet is priced accordingly. This is the best Dark Horizon so far. After not being impressed at all with 2nd edition, this not only puts them back on track, but exceeds their 1st edition benchmark. Buy all you can. I did.

Nesued, Dec 05, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +38.6%

TheBeerCarl (below) whom shared in this adventure gave a great summary. I would however note:

The appearance was the only non-perfect aspect here. Nothing to distinguish it from the oily and viscous Darkness consumed before (perhaps slightly more opaque), or many other BIG stouts. Not perfect, but excellent.

I found the hops to play more evenly on the nose and palate, with more of a rich herbal contribution to the heavy choco-coffee and crazy malt complexity. There is an interesting earthy/stone note that brings the extra wow.

I found the mouthfeel to be one of the most amazing aspects. Like melting chocolate in your mouth. For the high ibu's, no abrasiveness, just silky and mouthcoating.

Just huge thick stuff that I couldn't get enough of. So damn good that you want to savor each little sip, and hence, an amazingly high drinkability. Just begs for more to slowly enjoy.

I. Need. More.

oregone, Nov 25, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +39.2%

This beer is crazy little SOB.

It comes out of the bottle like a dark brown motor oil accompanied by a thin tan head.

The nose took me by surprise. Initially there are the stereotypical stout notes: coffee, chocolate and vanilla but let it warm up and all you can smell is intense citrus hops, like opening a new package of chinook hops from the homebrew store. I don't like to drink stout cold so I waited for this moment to drink any of it.

Rich chocolate with caramel hits your mouth with light hints of coffee and vanilla. There is next to no hop character on the pallet but when you smell it, you would think you're about to taste an IPA. Its a crazy dichotomy that works for this little strong guy. The heat really isn't present at all which is impressive for a 15.5% beer.

The mouthfeel is as rich as it looks, full bodied (39 degrees plato) with a little bit of carbonation that tingles the pallet.

This beer was given to a friend of mine by a guy visiting the brewery he works at in trade for some stuff in the reserve room. Amazing beer if you can get your hands on it.

TheBeerCarl, Nov 23, 2010