Dark Horizon 3rd Edition - Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S

good

Nøgne Ø - Det Kompromissløse Bryggeri A/S visit their website
Norway

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.50% ABV

Brewed in March 2008 with Grimstad water, malted barley (brown & smoked), sugars, coffee, hops, yeast. Sat, untouched, in conditioning tanks until August 2010 when it was dry hopped (with Nelson Sauvin hops) and dry "coffeed" (with Den Gyldne Sterke espresso). After a month of dry hopping/coffeeing, it was bottled/released in September 2010.

(Beer added by: TheBeerCarl on 11-23-2010)

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

250ml nip poured into tulip 11/10/13, cheers Adam for opening this little monster

A Just a splash so no head or lace shouldn't surprise me especially in a 15.5%er, legs galore

S tobacco smoked apple, bacon and teriyaki with a little soy but it works fairly well

T more like a cooking marinade then anything but its decent, coffee on the finish but reminds me more of a cooking sauce then anything

M thick and smokey, no heat impresses me

O I'd stopped taking notes about halfway through the feel it would seem but overall I'd say its a decent beer but nothing great, I sound like I'm being hard on it wanting to cook with it but I'd try it again.

After the Abyss, Mellow Corn 50-50, Black Tuesday, Grey Monday, Chocolate Rain, and Mikkeller Black Islay I'm a little surprised I can even read my notes. That was a lot of big stout for one night, my head still hurts.

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

Found this brew heavily discounted so had to give it a try. 8.5 oz bottle poured into CBS snifter. Pours an opaque dark brown with no head to speak of. The nose start with bold smokey notes followed by candy sweetness and earth tone coffee. The taste starts with loads of residual sugar, Heavy brown sugar and dark fruits mainly, this is followed by a hint of smoke with almost no coffee. The mouthfeel is heavy and somewhat syrupy with low carbonation. Overall, this is interesting, but way too heavy handed on the malty sweetness. I'm glad I only have 8.5 ounces of this to tackle as that in itself will be tough.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

250 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled in 2010. Pours pitch black color with a small foamy tan head with poor retention, that reduces to a ring of lace. Slight spotty lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, toast, toffee, light char, molasses, and roasted earthiness; with some slight booze. Nice aromas with good balance and complexity of coffee and roasted/dark malt notes; and good strength. Taste of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, toast, toffee, light char, molasses, tobacco, and roasted earthiness. Lingering notes of coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, toast, toffee, molasses, tobacco, light char, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice balance and complexity of intense dark/roasted malt flavors with coffee; with zero booze or cloying sweetness after the finish. Light carbonation and very full bodied; with a creamy, slick, syrupy, and fairly chalky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden for 15.5%, with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice imperial coffee stout. Very nice intense and balanced dark/roasted malt flavors with coffee; and definitely a sipper to enjoy slowly. A very enjoyable offering.

3.29/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

8.5oz bottle, with its own fancy carrying case

Thank god this was only 8.5oz - who could possibly drink more of this? No carbonation - very syrupy, soy sauce, teryaki, bitter coffee. Cloyingly sweet, molasses, booze and more booze. Batch 1 of this was solid (and a whale) - what the hell happened to this beer?

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

I suppose I can see where the scores for this are on the low side but I'm pretty impressed by this beer. For something that's 15.5% alcohol it has characteristics that I'd expect. It is very sweet but still manages to not be syrupy. The coffee drink thing is very much there. Coffee and cream and sugar. Anyone with a strong sweet tooth should be really happy with this.
I would be very happy to get the fourth edition of this.

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is like an albino russian imperial stout, and by that I mean it's dark, but you can still see some light through it.

If you like the scent of barbecue and terriyaki, you will enjoy smelling this beer over and over. The smoke from the malt is present, and blankets a meaty, sweet barbecue aroma that I am finding fantastic. I don't care that it is a beer and that this is unusual for beer, I care that it is awesome! Oh, and after all these years you can still get a little coffee; the peppery aroma from coffee is there among the smorgasbord.

M is for mmmm. I like sweet beers, so I really like this one. Beyond that it also sits my tongue down and tells it a story about a little coffee bean that went to a barbecue party and tasted many wonderful smokey concoctions and went home with a thorough coating of smoke and barbecue residue. I taste molasses, light vinegar, dark fruit, and coffee.

The viscosity is pleasant, like a stout, but pleasantly mellowed by the aging process.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

From 05/25/13 notes. Opened this the day after having the Second Edition. 8.5 oz bottle poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a pitch black color with less than one inch of dark tan head and no carbonation evident. Looks nice but no carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coffee, sweet sugar and molasses, sweet chocolate, roasted malts, alcohol, and some vanilla. Nose is nice but a little too sweet for me; loads of sugar and sweetness.

t - Tastes of same sweet coffee, sweet sugar, molasses, sweet dark fruits, roasted malts, alcohol, burnt malts, and toasted malts. Taste has more coffee than the nose and no vanilla; it also has a lot of sweet dark fruits. Taste is way too sweet for me.

m - Medium to full body and low to no carbonation. Body is thick and chewy.

o - Overall this beer is just way too sweet for me; the worst of the three dark horizon editions for me. I drank a 16.7 oz. bottle of the 2nd edition the night before that was boozy but easier to get through than this 8.5 oz. bottle; just too much sweet sugar and booze for me. Would not suggest picking this one up considering how much these guys cost.

1.5/5  rDev -57.5%