Dark And Stormy Night - Picaroons Brewing Co.

Dark And Stormy NightDark And Stormy Night

Picaroons Brewing Co. visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

Dunkelweizen |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mrmanning on 07-03-2008)
View: Beers (19) |  Events

02-05-2014 03:59:30 | More by yancot
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

2.29/5  rDev -27.5%

Bottle from the liquor store on PEI
Pours a crystal clear dark brown with ruby at the edges and a wispy off white head that dissipates quickly. Butter caramel and toffee dominate the aroma, with traces of dish soap. I find no weizen or hops in the aroma of this brew. The flavor isn't much better than the aroma. Buttery burnt caramel with a soapy edge. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation. I'm not sure what they were shooting for here, but its safe to say they missed.

07-25-2014 01:37:09 | More by johnnnniee
BeerLaw

Prince Edward Island (Canada)

2.08/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours nicely with a nice dark color - like a stout. Smells very sour - reminds me of a bad batch of homebrew (I am an avid homebrewer who has had a few infected batches before, and this remind me of those batches).

Tastes sour. Lactic acid like. I am assuming that is intended, since this is the third time I have tried this beer. Terrible sour lactic acid taste.

I'd rather drink a coors light, and that is saying something. I wasted my money on this one three times... I love Picaroons (ie, best bitter and winter warmer), but this is terrible.

I must admit I've never had a dunkel (not available near me). I have had many english ales, and brew mostly english style ales. To me, this is just too damn sour.

05-24-2014 02:08:44 | More by BeerLaw

Newfoundland (Canada)

04-23-2014 01:03:59 | More by cam477
biegaman

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

You'd imagine a beer called 'Dark and Stormy Night' to be cloudy and turbid, black and opaque, but this ale is actually a fair mahogany brown colour and reveals splendid clarity in select places. It's a lighter tone than expected. It also has no signs precipitation; its surface is flat and barren.

The brewery describes this as a "stylistic hybrid of an English brown ale and a German dunkel weizen". I totally get the 'dunkel' part but not the 'weizen'; the aroma has a considerably strong malty sweetness and toasted notes of bread crusts and nuts, but absolutely no trace of yeast (and hence no esters or phenols, nothing remotely clove- or banana-like).

The taste further emphasizes what is smelled in the aroma; it features primarily hearty Munich malt (with melanoidins reminiscent of bread crusts) and a moderate cola flavour. It's entirely barley-driven (no wheat). The aftertaste has vague, fleeting notes of dark purple fruits (currants, plums, raisins) that are mixed in amongst equally subtle hints of cocoa and toffee.

Unfortunately there's little in the texture to denote chocolate or caramel. There's only enough roastiness to replicate toasted dark bread, nothing remotely strong enough to evoke coffee. I still don't get any wheat malt at all; it's not terribly engaging on the palate and can, on some sips, have the kind of one dimensional and borderline syrupy qualities of an extract-based brew.

Nonetheless, it is a refreshing, agreeable, and adequately malty beer that I am rather enjoying. I'd still advise the brewery, however, to revisit how it's promoted or else how it's made; there's no overtly stout- or dunkelweizen-like characteristics detected at all. Mind you, I don't really care - I rather appreciate its originality - but it strikes me as not exactly what the brewery intended.

Contrary to Picaroons' intentions, Dark and Stormy Night does not "provide all the rich flavours of a stout or porter with the easy drinkability of a wheat beer"; it lacks the quantity of the former and the quality of the latter. It has only a mild, trifling amount of roast and nowhere near the spice, fruit, or effervescence of a dunkelweizen. Nice beer, but not what's advertised.

02-01-2014 23:42:20 | More by biegaman

TimeLincoln

01-11-2013 12:39:24 | More by TimeLincoln
smcolw

3.88/5  rDev +22.8%

Lumpy, light beige head which plentiful webby lace. The broth is deep brown, but light passes easily. Hard to be positive, but I think it is clear.

Smells of caramelized brown sugar and a bit of molasses. Some yeast in the back of the nose, too. No wheat nor hop aroma.

The taste is drier than the smell indicates, although the swallow brings out some of the sweetness. Again, there is little wheat flavor. The body is somewhat chewy but the carbonation is appropriately high. There is a good dose of toasted malt (crystal?) that provides a biscuity flavor. This is smooth and easily drinkable, but don't expect a typical dunkelweizen.

08-31-2012 22:49:45 | More by smcolw

Ivanhoes_Backpack

03-15-2012 15:15:06 | More by Ivanhoes_Backpack
JohnnyBarman

3.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Single stout bottle from the brewery, brought back to me by friends from the area who know of my love of beer and my love of not driving places. I really love the label and the name for this brew: it conjures both images of a foreboding Victorian manor in a Christie mystery novel as well as of Snoopy typing on top of his doghouse, at a loss for ideas and resorting to the clichéd and much-ridiculed phrase popularized by 19th century dime-novel author Edward Bulwer-Lytton, and then Woodstock chirps something funny and Charlie Brown says 'Good Grief.'

Poured into a fluted pilsner glass because I really didn't know whether this beer would fit more into the English Pale or Dunkel variety, so I made a compromise. Dark brown-grape in colour, hazy, with a good inch of foam that recedes into a thick layer. Some lacing icicles.

Malty to the nose, a bit of wheat, some clove, dry white wine. Like five different styles of beer in one - not sure if it works or not.

Dark malt, chocolate, a bit of wheat, and a strange sour vinous flavour that seems really out of place. I'm glad I reviewed this on paper before going on BA, because my first thought was that this tasted like a mild sour ale far more so than a dunkel or pale ale, and I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who thought so.

I like sour ales, so I didn't mind drinking this, but I really don't think the end result matched either my expectations or my desires. Still, I appreciate Picaroon's for trying something new - experimentation is always welcome in the craft beer world, and I welcome it.

03-13-2012 20:12:41 | More by JohnnyBarman
Skizem

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

12-23-2011 22:28:20 | More by Skizem
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Dark And Stormy Night from Picaroons Brewing Co.