Olde Rabbit's Foot Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (2009) - Olde Hickory Brewery

Olde Rabbit's Foot Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (2009)Olde Rabbit's Foot Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (2009)

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.13% ABV

Availability: Fall

This is a blended collaboration beer from Foothills, Duck Rabbit, and Olde Hickory brewing companies. All three blended their versions of a Russian Imperial Stout and then aged them in 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle barrels.

(Beer added by: cvstrickland on 12-13-2009)
Reviews by Mistofminn:
4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to goryshkewych for sending me a bottle of this. Opened this up at a tasting, side by side with Sexual Chocolate.

Bottle number 449 of 694.

Pours deep black with a brown sugar colored head. Good retention and manages to leave some decent lacing. It is noted that the head is darker in ORF than in SC.

The nose is great, with roasted malts and an earthy woody oaky character. No chocolate is found in the taste. The Pappy barrels did wonders to this, but I imagine the base RIS smells great too.

The taste follows suit on the nose, but the bourbon just doesn't stand out as much as I would have liked it to. Between the four of us, two of use thought it was a bourbon bomb, and the other two could hardly taste any, so take it with a grain of salt. I just found it to be more muted than I would have liked. Still tasted great.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, with a soft carbonation and a smooth texture. Drinkability is great in this one.

Overall, I liked the ORF slightly better and my score reflects it. I think even without the Pappy barrels, this is still the better beer, but that is of course just my opinion.

Is this a good beer? Yes. Does it stand up to the hype and is it worth what it takes to get it? The jury is still out on that one...

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

A: This beer pours a dark opaque black with a moderate 2 finger head. The cocoa colored head dies after a few minutes and leaves moderate lacing throughout the glass.

S: I was using an oversized snifter for this beer and the aroma was fantastic. It consisted of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, heavy malts and dark fruit. I couldn't stop myself from smelling this beer.

T: The initial taste has roasted malts and a touch of vanilla. As you finish it turns to cocoa and then a sweet vanilla/honey taste. As the beer warms everything seems to blend very well together. A very tasty and fantastic collaboration so far!

M: This is medium bodied and I couldn't detect much heat. I could go through a bomber of this in no time and not feel the effects.

D: I didn't have any problems finishing this beer. I enjoyed letting it sit and trying to figure out which taste profile would change. I highly recommend this beer.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this at Duckworths. I really enjoyed the story how it was three different breweries coming together to make something that I must say was truly enjoyable. It poured dark brown almost black. Nice head and good lacing. There was definitely a bourbon smell coming off along with roasted barley I think. Most of all, it tasted absolutely wonderful. Really distinctive. The mouthfeel was good with good carbonation. Overall, this is a wonderful beer if you really like bourbon barrel aged beers.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle shared by Dan - thanks! Tasted side-by-side with the 2010 version.

Pours black with a half-finger light brown head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of light roasted malts with good amounts of smooth vanilla. Also present are slight hints of dark fruit.

Tastes better and more refined than it smells. Moderately roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by large amounts of dark chocolate. Midway through the sip hints of vanilla make a brief appearance before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's a bit on the thin side for subh a big and barrel-aged beer with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass quickly and could have another without a problem.

Overall I remember being more impressed with the bottles I had closer to the release date which isn't a good thing. It's not aging gracefully but it hasn't taken a nosedive either. Worth trying now rather than much later to judge for yourself.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Big thanks to Unclejedi for sharing this bottle.

22oz. brown bomber poured into a taster glass.

A: Pours a sooty black that lets nearly no light in. Decent head on the pour with some lasting retention. Decent lacing.

S: Pleasant bourbon that doesn't overpower. Nice barrel aromas of dank earthy wood and lighter sweet vanilla and molasses. Light roasty malts and a kiss of hops.

T/M: Very tasty. The bourbon comes out a little more but doesn't get hot. More of the barrel and pleasant sweetness. A bit more roasty in the taste but under control. Body is medium full to full with a smooth carbonation feel.

D: Manageable ABV and tasty.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

20 hours and 1100 miles later... Done as part of a blind tasting with capra12 and schen9303 so that our grades are not slaves to hype. Also... its my 100th review!!! turns out that I couldn't have chosen a better beer here.
Poured from a bomber numbered 124/694 into a Brooklyn Brewery Snifter.

A: A moderate pour yields a 2.5 finger light, milk chocolate colored, fulffy head with excellent retention. Brew was opaque and thick as motor oil just as expected. Lacing is frothy, thick, and ruler-like though this dissipated with time.

S: Bourbon is strong in the nose. Also hints of licquorice, sweet soy sauce, dark druit, oak, and a bit of nuttiness. Can't help but think this smells more like an RIS than an IS.

T: Speaking as unbiased as possible, this really lives up to the hype. I wanted to grade down on this but it just never gave me an opportunity to do so. Strong licquorice, dark fruit, roasted prunes, sweet soy sauce. Bourbon is apparent but very subdued throughout. Finish lingers a faint roastiness and a slight sourness.

M: Medium to full bodied and oily, silky, and astoundingly smooth. This is everything that Dark Lord is not in terms of mouthfeel. Finish is wet, sticky, and messy, leaving a lasting trail in my mouth.

D: Incredibly complex and with the body to tie it all together. This one really lives up to the hype. As a side by side, I gotta say that I felt it was better overall than Abyss, and that's saying a lot. An outstanding brew and definitely worth the wait.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to Wil for sharing this bottle(#631).

This beer pours a rich black with a thin mocha head.

The nose is very delicious. smoked almonds, bourbon, oak, baker's chocolate, vanilla. There is also a note of oxidization coming through.

The taste follows the nose with tons of nutty notes, cocoa powder, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oak, mild bourbon. Some more oxidization, but it's really balancing everything out.

The mouthfeel is full and creamy.

I could've finished the bomber by myself. I'm glad I had the chance to try this.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Drank with fbm115

A: It pours a very thick and syrupy black that no light can get through. The head is fluffy and mocha colored and retains very well leaving gobbs of webbing behind with each sip.

S: At first i couldnt smell too much, but then I got this wiff vanilla followed by brown sugar and chocolate. The bourbon is very mellow in the nose and the wood notes provide some earth tones to the beer,

T: It started out with lots of roastiness like burnt coffee and bitter chocolate followed by some sweet chocolat and vanilla then some barrel woodiness with a hint of before before a marshmellow sweetness at the end. lots of complexity going on here all of which worked well together.

M: Nice and thick without any heat and a good amount of chewiness. Exactly what you are looking for in a stout

D: Very high for such a big beer as it went down faster than it probably should have but it was very well balanced and highly enjoyable

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to bhalter8 for this one! Poured dark and rich with a creamy brown head. Chocolate nose with a nice bourbon background, slight play dough scent. Super rich with a medium to full body but not too sweet. Chocolate is up front in the taste with nice smooth mellow roasted malts. Very drinkable as the alcohol is concealed nicely. Bourbon takes a back seat to chocolate in this one, a quality that I enjoy. I prefer the barrel to be more of a spice then a flavor and this nailed that for me. Really glad I had a chance to try this one, it's excellent.

3.45/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bomber via trade thanks to bhalter8. Damn it, I really expected this to be an awesome beer, but it fell a bit short.

Pours darkest brown with a small large bubble tan head and a little bit of lacing.

Aroma has a lot going on: chocolate, coffee, dark fruits, vanilla, and oh, did I mention bourbon? Yeah, lots of bourbon. Nice but not terribly balanced.

Flavor is good with burnt cocoa notes playing the leading role. Cacao nibs and roasted malt dominate, along with caramel, barrel notes (oak and vanilla), and lots of boozy bourbon. Nice long finish though.

Does not really excel on the mouthfeel. Medium body for the style with a high booze factor and a little too much carbonation.

Decently drinkable. I actually finished a fairly large pour, but didn't want too much more. Overall, well, it's good for the style, but nowhere near great. A bunch of other BAs got on me about not rating to style and being preferential to imperial stouts. This one I think I'm giving a fair shake in that regard.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

2009 vintage purchased at the release. Bottle # 48/694. Pours a deep brown/near black in the glass, topped with 2 rich fingers of foamy dark mocha head. This retains with a smooth creaminess, mostly bunching around the sides and leaving back some light lacing. The aroma is a delicious blend of coffee, burnt molasses, brown sugar, chocolate and vanilla. Charred wood notes really blend in nicely off the edges. The taste is a similar mix of chocolate, molasses, brown sugar, dark fruit, coconut, vanilla and roasted coffee. Burnt barrel and lingering sweetness leave this charred, spicy and sticky on the back-end, with a touch of toast and cocoa powder lingering in the finish. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied with some initial sharpness to the carbonation which gradually gives way to more of a chewy creaminess along the back. You do get some alcohol here but it’s mostly from the barrel character, as this remains extremely smooth for the size. Wow, this has aged beautifully. The profiles have a ton of complexity and flavor integration to them and the overall smoothness of this is top-notch! This seems to be peaking now, I’d suggest that you crack a bottle and see for yourself.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Opened on New Years Eve during the tastings of all tastings, finally got a chance to review from notes.
Olde Rabbit's Foot, Kate the Great, Dark Lord, Darkness, Bourbon County Stout, and Vertical of 07-09 Abyss
This was in top three of everyone there
A: Black with a slight hint of dark dark brown.
S:Bourbon, Dark choc, Dark Fruit, Vanilla Oak
T:Similar to Smell, First came the Bourbon, then a little bitterness from the Dark Choc, and ended on a slightly Vanilla Oak, awesome
M:Med-Low Carb., not nearly as thick as BCS, but not a bag thing either, just different
D: By far the most drinkable BAIS that I've had, hid the 10.13% so well I could drink this all night and not get tired of the taste.

Side note: I'm not trying to hate but I can understand the folks who give this a B'ish rating, it just may not be their thing, but trying this in the middle of a Sour's tasting and then giving this a D'ish rating, I mean really, how can you accurately give this a review in the middle of that? I'm just saying, if I had the look of the old Keystone Light commercial guy and tried this or anything else for that matter, I probably wouldn't like it either. I'm hoping you just had a bad bottle and get a chance to try another!
Peace

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

22 oz. Super Bowl XLIV special.
A descent black pour into snifter. Thin layer of dark tan bubbles, a little sticks to the glass.
Aroma has a lot of sweet malt, chocolate, barrel and Godiva Liquoer. Just hints of roast.
Taste is very interesting. Milk chocolate, caramel, toffee and some oaky barrel. Very sweet, but it's something that took a while for me to put my finger on that caused me pause. Tiramisu, I really don't like it, but most people do. Unrelenting cream, angel fingers and coffee liquor flavors. This mellows into more dark chocolates through the finish.
For all the boozy flavors, the alcohol is really non-existant. Just a nice warming in the belly.

All in all a nice special occasion beer, but not quite up with my favorite bourbon brews, GI BCS and the Founders stable. Could use more roast, standard stout characteristics. I do think this will age well though and smooth out some of those things I didn't care for.
Sexual Chocolate for 2010 was much more to my liking.

Maybe a barrel aged dopplebock collaboration next??

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to Wil for breaking out a beer I was sure i'd never try. Reviewed from notes.

Inky black with a swirl of foamy mocha head on top. Rich and fudgy nose, some toasted almond comes through also. The dark chocolate impression is huge in both aroma and taste.

Flavors of bitter dark chocolate, mildly bitter coffee, ashy charred malts, some vanilla from the barrel. Rich and creamy, low carbonation, with a mildly bitter hop impression in the aftertaste. Bourbon notes are mild. Not much perceptible heat, but it's still a sipper. Smooth and balanced. Overall I was impressed, this was very smooth and chocolatey.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

#53/694 shared with the boys at the weekend RIS tasting.. BS68280 hooked a brother up!!! Too much gratitude goes out to Brannon!!

Tan head has nice retention and lacing... black brew... pretty all around.

Nose is good bourbon with vanilla and all the great chocolaty RIS flavors.... the barrel aging is perfect and adds a fantastic complexity to a really nice RIS.

Dark chocolate... dark cherries... thick maltiness ... great bourbon essence drapes in and out of the entire palate from front to back .. a bit of spicy/tannic wood.. wonderfully complex while still being very very integrated.. appropriate body for the style but the carbonation is a tad light..

not a bomb of mash-up RIS flavors ... just a well bred beer and a lesson in restraint on all fronts... I am very impressed and this is a great beer that is certainly worthy of some geeky giddiness... I could easily finish an entire bottle and have no regrets... very drinkable right now and I assume a bit of aging is only going to help, but I wouldn't go much over a year.

Thanks again Brannon.. Truly appreciate the fantastic trade.

4.5/4/5/4/4.5

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Finally I am able to tell the tale of the ORF. I was lucky enough to be able to try this one out last night. Served at a comfy 55 degrees and poured into a six ounce snifter on multiple occasions, this one was consumed with loving care of 1/27/2010.

I want to start out by saying I really, really liked this one. Having heard some flack regarding it lately I had tempered my expectations on what I was going to be experiencing, but in hind sight that really wasn't necessary. All three breweries should truly be proud of this one.

The pour was superb, rich dark in color, essentially black as an abyss with no light coming through on this one at all, nothing, nada, and zip. Two fingers worth of brown, frothy head then gradually formed and pushed just out over the lip of my snifter. Sticking to the sides on the way down some nice webbing started to form before it fell back down and created a rocky, cratered surface that was interspersed with chunks of foam. Brown icebergs in a seal of oil look if you will.

So I reach in and go for the first sip, I am immediately sitting in my chair with an ear to ear grin as the warm vanilla notes waft through the air and perk up my senses. I find that rich aroma comforting and soothing and a sign that it stayed in the barrel just the right amount of time. Going in closer and letting it reach its zenith at room temperature reveals a complex mixture of chocolate, hints of tobacco and leather, even the finest touches of coffee all coming together and creating a symphony of aroma.

It's about time though, I need to try it, and so I reach over and find my way to the glass. Rich, smooth, decadent flavor washes across the palate. Vanilla and bourbon notes hit first. Smooth and silky feel here, really very nicely done. It melts seamlessly and effortlessly into a spinning cauldron of coffee and chocolate that just reeks of woody tones and vanilla underpinnings. Warming really starts to bring this out now. No clue how someone finds this to be thin, as for a barrel aged and blended beer it is coming off simply stunning. Hints of chocolate are now awash on the palate and are starting to flex their muscle through the haze, but the finish belongs to the barrel as the sweet, balanced flavor leaves its mark and fades off into the night.

Overall impressed here, this was really done very, very well. A totally different beast then any of the base beers could have become on their own. I would love to see more collaboration between the three of them, maybe you should all do your scotch ale like this (hint). A great offering here and something I am really happy to have been able to try.

2.28/5  rDev -46.4%

2009 edition. Corby112 shared this one. Thanks! I was pretty interested in trying this.

Pours from the bottle a dark amber-tinged brown, and sits in the glass black and nearly opaque. A light tan head tops it, retaining for a moment before settling to a ring.

Chocolate and honey are immediately noticeable on the nose. Molasses, alcohol and subtle bourbon are present as well. I don't get much of that caramel/vanilla goodness that I've come to expect and love from bourbon barrel aged stouts.

Licorice, molasses, burnt grain and stinging alcohol are dominant on the palate. There's a bit of milk chocolate sweetness, honey and bourbon, but it's overwhelmed by the ashy, burnt, acrid flavors. The body is surprisingly thin, and the sharp solventy alcohol quickly becomes wearying. Finishes with an acrid burnt licorice flavor that lingers on the tongue like a piece of charcoal flavored candy. Harsh and unimpressive, this beer is a waste of the far superior Sexual Chocolate.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Contributed to a tasting by CrellMoset. Thanks, Chris!

A: Deep black, with a nice 'milk chocolate' coloured head, modest, but with a decent retention.

S + T: Chocolate is one of the predominant aromas and flavours I get from this beer. The cocoa nibs add a massive note on both elements, The honey intrigued me on the bottle, but I don't pick up on a lot of it outside of the cocoa. I suppose it is a more delicate note to add to it, but I don't know if it really got to have its place as it does in brews like Hopslam. The bourbon barrel aging added a lovely note to it, smooth and warming.

M + D: Actually a touch light in body as far as imperial stouts go, but carrying a robust enough flavour to carry it through. A little more creamy and I would be in heaven with this brew.

Olde Rabbit's Foot Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (2009) from Olde Hickory Brewery