Irish Walker - Olde Hickory Brewery

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

English Barleywine |  10.14% ABV

Beer added by: oberon on 12-25-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Irish Walker Alström Bros
4.62/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was a nice purchase from my trip to Asheville, NC, recommended by the good people at Appalachian Vintner. Drinking from an Old Hickory glass, at room temperature, the mouthfeel is somewhat creamy, and like a previous reviewer mentioned, has the woody, old ale quality. A little sweet, but definitely not overpowering. Personally I feel it is well balanced, and I very much enjoyed it. Definitely would buy it again if I get a chance to go to NC. Oh yeah, that blue wax covering the bottle top, is interesting, but perhaps a bit too thick for easy removal. (560 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

A well round beer that acquired at Peabodys in Boone, NC.
I always look forward to the Irish Walker, this being the 2011 brew. The foam is medium brown and nice lacing durung the taste. The smell is malty with a hint of hops. The taste is full malt, slight sweetness, and some hoppiness with nice finish of alcohol. The feel is full of flavor and very good. Overall, as I said before I always look forward to an Irish Walker Barleywine by Olde Hickory. (452 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Irish Walker (2014)

I had seen this beer around for years and then last spring I decided I would try it and damned if it wasn’t there. So, I waited around and then it popped up sometime around the summer, at least that is when I bought this one. I had read that barleywine’s do better with some age, so I have waited until now to try this one. So, it’s got like 6 months on it. I had only tried one barleywine previous to this one, at least that I was aware of.

Appearance: Pours with a dark rich reddish brown color. Beautiful in the glass. I decent amount of head that settles into virtually nothing. Just a film over the top of the beer once it relaxes. (4.75)

Smell: Sweet, boozey, and dark fruits dominate the aroma. It almost has a boozy prune juice smell going on. (4.25)

Taste: Dark fruits dominate this one. Its sweet, and it is boozy I would recommend that you share this, as it is 10% abv. Not that you couldn’t but this is a very rich beer. It actually says on the bottle to share with friends. I get, a lot of those winter dark fruits, almost fruitcake like flavors going on. This is called an English style barleywine because it has less hop dominance than American styles and I although I have not had many of this style, I would have to agree there is no hops in this one, if there is, you certainly cannot taste them. Plumbs, figs, cereal notes dominate. In the aftertaste you get a bit of hop assertiveness but it is very mild. (4.5)

Overall: This is a well made beer, by one of my favorite local brewers. I may have to grab a few more up to cellar, before they are gone again. One note they have just began the transition to 12/ 6 packs and they have changed the label style. Personally I kind of like the older labels. I noticed the Lindley Park, which was one of their more sought after beers had the wax omitted and I suspect the Event Horizon will too. This may be the last of the, shall I say “reserve” beers from them that has the wax coating around the cap. If that interests you, I doubt next years will have it! (4.5) (2,063 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Bomber poured into a snifter

A - very dark brownish amber with a thin lacing of off white head that fades quickly

S - figs, dates, plums, candy sugar, caramel

T - caramel, bread, candy sugar, figs, dates, raisins, plums, faint chocolate, alcohol, mild hop bitterness in the finish

M - full bodied, smooth, warm, well carbonated

This is a solid barleywine. It has good flavor and very good balance. I really enjoyed this beer. (430 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +12.2%

2010 bottle. Dark brown with some amber and burgundy hues in it. Large lasting khaki colored head that holds it's shape until the glass is empty. This beer is pure eye-candy. Smells sweet. I can't quite put my finger on what kind of sweet. Just sweet. It's also very fruity. Cherries, Peaches, Fruit cocktail.
Wonderful malt heavy flavors of burnt toast, sweetness, cherries and peaches as in the nose. Chicory maybe. Hint of pine. With a bourbon finish. Very good beer. I wish I had bought more. Mouthfeel is smooth and full. Very easy to drink for a barleywine. (563 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

dark brown. Very thick looking on the pour with a minimum amount of head coming up through it. A bout a half inch of off white foam rose up through it

Hints of raisins and figs, light earthy, roasted malts and a good touch of alcohol. Very complex nose, and unique for the style.
Rich tastes of oak and vanilla, hints of roasted malts and caramel. Lots of bourbon like flavors swirling around. Very tight and nicely done. A bit of alcohol, just enough to thicken it up a bit. A really nice and very full barley wine. Finish was strong, with a healthy dose of bourbon and spice lingering in the mouth for what seemed like forever. (631 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2011 vintage that i picked up last year when i was in NC (or maybe i picked it up longer ago?) none-the-less, enjoyed from an olde hickory half pint taster glass thingie.

a - brew poured a stunning ruby brown with crimson highlights. to the light you can somewhat see through it...massive cream colored head that hung out for ages and coated the glass as it vanished. pretty amazing looking.

s - nose is amazing. nougat, toffee, caramel...lush english barleywine. butterscotch. just spot on for what i like. really rich and thick with tons of candy.

t - taste matches the nose, just fantastic. really rich and thick and lush toffee butterscotch. caramel, nougat...you get the point. great barleywine.

m - fairly chewy and thick...a bit boozy on the finish.

o - overall, really great english barleywine. this sort of tows the line of old ale...really what i love about the english barleywine style. this is a keeper...would definitely have again. (950 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

This is a review of the 2010 version.
Poured into my Portsmouth ballon glass. Irish Walker is a nice ruby amber with a nice khaki head that leaves some lacing as it recedes into a wispy ring around the glass.
Smells slightly sweet with toffee and caramel dominating the nose. Has some nice dark fruit aromas as I'm picking up some fig and dates. A touch of tobacco and just a tinge of floral hops finish out the nose.
The first sip reveals tasty toffee and caramel flavors, toasted malts provide some contrast from the sweetness. Classis english hops provide a nice clean, dry finish and for such a high abv I can't detect any alcohol.
Has a great big mouthfeel and you can tell its definitely a "big" beer, but it never gets too thick or cloying and has a nice finish. I shouldn't have any problem finishing this 22. Olde Hickory is quickly becoming my favorite brewery in NC with awesome brews like this one.
P.S. I think it would be incredible bourbon barrel aged. (970 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Nice dark golden brown, very good head.

S: Aromas of brown sugar and several kinds of fruit, a little bit of alcohol in the nose.

T: Very surprising for a Barleywine, of which I am not the biggest fan. Bartender recommended, and should be commended! Tastes much more like a Wee Heavy/Scotch Ale since ABV is a little lower. Great blending of the brown sugar and raisin... a little like drinking a pecan pie!

M: Smooth as silk.

D: So very drinkable if you let it sit out for 8-10 minutes before popping the cap. Almost gets a little like great single malt scotch.

I highly recommend picking bottles of this up, but you have to get it from the brewery in Hickory. Well worth the trip up there. (701 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2013 vintage, poured into oversized wine glass

A- pours murky dark brown color with a small fizzy off-white head that reduces quickly, leaving nothing behind

S- lots of lush dark cherry aroma up front with some vinous notes along with rasin and red grape. Butterscotch and caramel candy, tons of sweet malt with notes of caramalized brown sugar and dark bread

T- lots of dark fruits up front with an emphasis on black cherry and fig, hints of chocolate and walnut, followed by a huge wave of melted caramel with brown sugar, some earthy herbal notes close it out with more caramel linger

M- medium viscous body with low carbonation leads to a slightly foamy mouthfeel and a thick finish that coats the mouth, light oxidization

O- over a year of cellering has produced a wonderful cherry/caramel forward sipper (819 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Extra in a trade. 22oz bomber 2010 vintage...

A: Super deep blood red that is hard to see all the way through because it's so dark. 1 inch tan head that fades at a decent pace. Very good.

S: I get a blend of earthy hops and some sugary dark fruits. Some booziness on the backend with some awesome sugary malts, raisin, caramel, and hints of cherries blended in. Very good.

T: This kind of tastes like a chocolate covered cherry. I get, obviously, a sugary chocolate and sweet cherry upfront blended with some hints of dry earthy hops. Hints of raisin and raspberry on the backend. Good.

M: A very good balance of carbonation and flavor. Very good.

D: This goes down super easy. Great brew.

This one kinf of surprised me. I've only tried the Imperial Stout from Olde Hickory and that was phenomenal. Now I try this one, which is not rated amazingly on BA, but this brew is really awesome. Definitely give this a try if you like big beers and barleywines. I think I want to try some more brews from OH now. (1,011 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a: wine glass, deep copper-brown in color with something of a murky haze, compact head with some good retention

s: sweet aromas of toffee and heavily caramelized malts, backed with a woodsy citrus hop profile, sweet dried fruits, rustic and within good limits of balance, like

m: carbonation low and smooth, body full and slick

t: big malt-forward barleywine, sweet fruits, rich caramel and toffee flavors, mild alcohol, hops have a nice presence of earthy citrus, finishing with a balancing bitter

d: no problems, a nice barleywine from Hickory

bomber kindly split by a friend back in the 'ville

2012 bomber consumed 01.2014, straight from the cellar: Very rich, lovely beer. Heavy on sweet toffee and brown sugar concentrations with a touch of dark, figgy fruit leather belied by the deep brown hue of the beer. dates. caramel. sticky, sweet, nice alcohol. hops provide a lingering bitterness. very nice after one year. straightforward complexity and very tasty. old scores were 4s (989 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Coming down the 40, and I always make a point to stop by this brewpub for a bite and pint (or 2). I see this one on the shelf all the time at my local haunt, but for some reason I always avoid it. I'm just not a huge Barleywine guy I guess. This time though, I was in the mood so I finished my meal with this one.

Came out in a stemmed goblet. As with most "imperialized" brews, this was not a full pint, unfortunately. A ripe plum color with faint ruby edges. The cap of froth was short in size but not short-lived, as each sip left a perfect ring clinging to the glass. Rich aromas of dark fruits, booze, and some light earthy notes. Clean mouthfeel, rich and deep, envelopes the palate. Subtle carbonation lightens this one up just a smidge.

Great decadent fruity flavors of fig, plum, and raisin. The alcohol add just enough heat to this, but in no way overpowers. Sweet candy-like flavors on the back end keep this balanced, and tone down the richness of it a bit. Bitterness is present, but again, subtlety is king. Definitely sets itself apart from the Americanized versions of this style. This was rich, tasty, and ever so easy to drink. I think I need to pull the trigger on some bottles now. (1,205 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

I picked this up in NC many months ago. It will meet its fate today.

A: Burnt sienna brown, with a slight 1/3 finger head that clung to the glass and then some.

S: Moderate in aroma, but I got some melted "Jolly Rancher." Certainly hoppy, but restrained in an English kinda way. A good bit of fresh caramel as well.

T: Excellent taste of wood, caramel (very prevalent), bitter hops (subtle, yet effective), and candi sugar. I personally thought all of this came to life and I was totally in awe of my first sip of this, especially considering my "down the middle" view of the scent.

M: Ridiculous lacing, and pretty drinkable (I find good English BWs usually are), The carbonation was great for this style, and this wasn't too sweet for my taste at all.

O: I don't care what many others have said on here at all. I personally thought this was one of the best English BW's I've had in a long time. (901 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on draft before & it was pretty good, will be interested to see how this compares...hate the wax sealing

2010 vintage pours chestnut with 2 fingers of mocha colored head. Sheets of horizontal lacing & above average head retention

S: Breadyness & dark fruit

T: Follows the nose, plus cakey notes along with treacle , dryness & even more figs & just a kiss of woody hops & booze up front. Figs, cherries dates, dryness & leafy hops, carob & wisp of booze as this warms, as well as short bread. Finishes figgy, dry, with a raisins & leafy hops & just a hint of plum brandy

MF: Pretty chewy with low carbonation & great balance, nice warming sensation overall

My bottle states a 9.8% ABV, this is well hidden. I like this better than the draft version I had last summer. This is a faithful take on the style that is working for me. I am digging the bigger bottled beers coming from NC hometown! (905 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

2011 vintage poured into a New Belgium globe.

Dark mahogany. Very impressive creamy-looking khaki head that never goes away despite the double-digit ABV.

Sweet scents of dark fruit (like raisins) and tobacco. This nose is all about the malt - no hint of hops. Definite fruity alcohol aromatics. Warm sugary caramel rounds out the aroma.

It hits with a bang. The first thing my tongue was able to sort out was a solid dose of bitterness that locks into every tastebud well into the finish. A heavy dose of dark fruit complement the bitterness nicely. Definitely more balanced than the nose would suggest. Clean alcohols contribute to complexity. I also get some toffee notes as things settle down. This one defines a sipper. Really full, viscous mouthfeel, but even after a year, that bitterness is pretty upfront. Solid barleywine that will really develop well over the years. I have a 2012 that I think I will hold onto for much longer. (943 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to cwguy5 for this one.

Very light fizzy head, touch of lacing, mostly clear dark molasses ruby brown color.

Nose tons of dark malts and fruits, aged brown malts, caramel, toffee, molasses, etc. touch of oak and a bit of light whisky. Fruit bring fig, date, brandy soaked raisin with brown sugar, hint of creamy malt.

Taste starts rich and lush, creamy darker malts, brown malts with tons of brown sugar and molasses, caramel, toffee, chewy granola bar. Then fruit with more brandy soaked raisin, plum, fig, date, soft aged malts. Hint of a whisky flavor. Towards the end brings a light earthy hops. Finishes semi sweet with tons more juicy fruits and dark malts and sweets, still decent sweetness with a nice spicy hop bitterness.

Mouth is a bit bigger bodied, decent carb, hint of warming booze.

Overall very nice, great fruits, hint of whisky and barrel, good sweetness and malts, balanced fairly well. (917 characters)

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #33 (Oct 2009):

Hazy amber glow with a short-stacked head on top. Rum raisins, Christmas pudding and brown bread in the nose. Actually, the aroma screams RAISINS!! Carbonation comes in low- key and smooth but fluffy enough to flaunt the creamy body. Not incredibly warming, a bit mellow for a Barleywine, but a few sips and the alcohol does settle in. Hops take a backseat to the let the malt work its magic as it dances from toasted bread to slightly roasted to grassy. Some timid esters--no doubt they are the way they are after a year's maturation. Speaking of age, there is a slight edge of oxidation that compliments more than anything else, though the chance to cellar this beer might be in question.

While on the shorter end of the spectrum with its less than domineering level of alcohol, it is a damn good English Barleywine. (876 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Not sure why the 2009 and 2010 versions are listed under one rating. It seems like a 2-plus percentage jump in ABV would be enough to earn a split.

2010 version.

The beer pours a red color with a white head. The aroma is brown sugar, molasses and roasted malt. The flavor is brown sugar, alcohol, chocolate, molasses, maple syrup and vanilla. A very complex, but still drinkable barleywine. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (434 characters)

2011 bottle poured into an oversized snifter

A: One finger head. Cloudy dark brown with a reddish hue. Speckled lacing dots the glass throughout.

S: Delicious caramel, caramelized brown sugar, vanilla, a little fig and some phenols. Really inviting.

T: The caramel and caramelized brown sugar follow through. Some dark fruit, and then floral hops and grassiness to add another dimension. Finishes with a pronounced, but not-too-bitter hop bite. The alcohol is very well hidden.

M: Full bodied. Drinkability is exceedingly high for a 10% barleywine. The hop bitterness in the finish thankfully helps to keep you in check so you don’t start slugging it down.

O: This is real good. Not overly complex, but crazy smooth and well balanced. The flavors work from start to finish with no single characteristic shoving its way to the forefront. I’d be happy to drink this again. (882 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

From notes:

2009 Vintage

Pours a dark amber with a fingers of tan head.  Smells are dark fruits, sweet malts and a little alcohol.  Tastes are dark fruits, malts, really smooth and really mellow.  Mouthfeel is good, drinkability is high. Overall a really good beer I'd like to try again. (292 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Many thanks to the might kkipple for the bottle!

2010 Release

Irish Walker pours a very deep red/copper color. It's a little hazy, but backlighting reveals really nice scarlet highlights. A light tan head forms on top. It's a finger or so deep, and recedes quickly. Lacing was sticky, but definitely light in volume. Not too surprising given the abv.

The nose is quite good. The malt base is slightly sweet smelling, and features mostly caramel malts, cocoa-esque chocolate, and toasted malts. It's a good mix. Dark fruit notes of raisin and plum are noted. Perhaps a little cherry. It definitely has a fruit cake vibe going. It features some light earthy and herbal notes on the secondary level. There are some hop remnants, but they've mostly faded. Alcohol is blended extremely well and is barely noticeable.

The flavor is good. It has a very solid malt base. Caramel, toffee, light cocoa, and toasted malt flavors are all in the mix. It's slightly sweet. Dark fruit flavors of raisin, fig, and plum add quality depth. Cherry is there, but it's very subtle. Light tobacco and leathery notes complement the other flavors well. It's a little earthy and grain late. There are some light, earthy hop flavors. I suspect they've faded to a large degree. It's not bitter at all. Alcohol is masked extremely well. My bottle indicates the abv is 9.8%. I would've never guessed anywhere near that. Finishes malty and herbal.

Irish Walker has body that's on the lighter side of medium. It honestly feels a little thin. Given the wealth of malt flavor, that's somewhat surprising. Carbonation is mid-range. Overall, it feels pretty good. Drinkability is good for such a big beer. The flavor is impressive, and it's deceptive as far as size goes.

Irish Walker is my first experience with Olde Hickory Brewery. I'm impressed. This is good stuff. It's a very balanced, approachable English Barleywine. The flavor is spot-on for the style. If you're into English Barleywines, you simply must check this one out. It's big on flavor, and hides its heft extremely well. This bomber is disappearing surprisingly fast. Easy recommendation. Thanks a ton, Dan! (2,148 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

From 06/25/11 notes. Shared by nmann08 at a recent tasting I believe; thanks Nate. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Bruery tulip. 2010 vintage.

a - Pours a hazy, dark brown color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Very light spotty lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of caramel malts, toffee, light hops, toasted malts, oak, vanill, and bready malts. Lots of malts, especially caramel.

t - Tastes of caramel malts, vanilla, oak, toffee, and bready malts. Again a lot of malts, but the vanilla is very nice in the taste.

m - Medium body and light carbonation. Very smooth and creamy, and very easy to drink.

o - Overall I thought this was a really good barleywine and something I would love to have again sometime. Lots of caramel and vanilla, which are some of my favorite characteristics. (825 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle courtesy of the infamous Jason Allen. I'm thinking this was the 2010 vintage based on my memory of the label. Served in a Stone IRS tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving dime of foam that settles to a thin ring and a few wisps, leaving tiny spots of lace. Transparent blood red body.

S - Burnt sugars, toffee, dark fruits, cotton candy, light chocolate, toasted grains, and a touch of citrus hop aroma.

T - Taste is heavy on sugars (brown sugar, caramel) along with candied dark fruits. There's some roasted malt that brings balance and keeps things from being cloying. Hops impart light bitterness to the finish as well. Well-hidden alcohol (this batch was 9.8%) makes this very easy drinking for the style.

M - Slightly overcarbonated for a barleywine, but otherwise quite nice. Full smooth body with minimal warmth.

D - This is quite a good barleywine. If I were feeling ambitious I could probably tackle a bomber on my own. Olde Hickory, please put this in a (PvW?) bourbon barrel as it'd be a big hit. (1,008 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

A- pours a tawny color with a light tan head. Decent retention.

S- smells of toffee, caramel chew and dried red fruit.

T- sugary spice upfront with a huge sticky toffee, caramel chew and dried red fruit. Slight warmth alchohol with a dry herbal hop tinge.

MF- syrupy silky mouthfeel with a medium heavy body and low soft carbonation.

D- very drinkable. The 10% ABV is hidden very well.

Overall a delicious English barleywine. (431 characters)

Irish Walker from Olde Hickory Brewery