Irish Walker - Olde Hickory Brewery

Irish WalkerIrish Walker

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

English Barleywine |  10.14% ABV

(Beer added by: oberon on 12-25-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Irish Walker Alström Bros

thanmad, Dec 12, 2011

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Ivegotmule, Jun 22, 2014
4.64/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was a nice purchase from my trip to Asheville, NC, recommended by the good people at Appalachian Vintner. Drinking from an Old Hickory glass, at room temperature, the mouthfeel is somewhat creamy, and like a previous reviewer mentioned, has the woody, old ale quality. A little sweet, but definitely not overpowering. Personally I feel it is well balanced, and I very much enjoyed it. Definitely would buy it again if I get a chance to go to NC. Oh yeah, that blue wax covering the bottle top, is interesting, but perhaps a bit too thick for easy removal.

bcheng, Apr 29, 2014

DaPan, May 05, 2013

Bartos, Aug 26, 2014

leftstagebrew, May 04, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +14%

A well round beer that acquired at Peabodys in Boone, NC.
I always look forward to the Irish Walker, this being the 2011 brew. The foam is medium brown and nice lacing durung the taste. The smell is malty with a hint of hops. The taste is full malt, slight sweetness, and some hoppiness with nice finish of alcohol. The feel is full of flavor and very good. Overall, as I said before I always look forward to an Irish Walker Barleywine by Olde Hickory.

beerenjoyer1, Mar 18, 2012
4.46/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Irish Walker (2014)

I had seen this beer around for years and then last spring I decided I would try it and damned if it wasn’t there. So, I waited around and then it popped up sometime around the summer, at least that is when I bought this one. I had read that barleywine’s do better with some age, so I have waited until now to try this one. So, it’s got like 6 months on it. I had only tried one barleywine previous to this one, at least that I was aware of.

Appearance: Pours with a dark rich reddish brown color. Beautiful in the glass. I decent amount of head that settles into virtually nothing. Just a film over the top of the beer once it relaxes. (4.75)

Smell: Sweet, boozey, and dark fruits dominate the aroma. It almost has a boozy prune juice smell going on. (4.25)

Taste: Dark fruits dominate this one. Its sweet, and it is boozy I would recommend that you share this, as it is 10% abv. Not that you couldn’t but this is a very rich beer. It actually says on the bottle to share with friends. I get, a lot of those winter dark fruits, almost fruitcake like flavors going on. This is called an English style barleywine because it has less hop dominance than American styles and I although I have not had many of this style, I would have to agree there is no hops in this one, if there is, you certainly cannot taste them. Plumbs, figs, cereal notes dominate. In the aftertaste you get a bit of hop assertiveness but it is very mild. (4.5)

Overall: This is a well made beer, by one of my favorite local brewers. I may have to grab a few more up to cellar, before they are gone again. One note they have just began the transition to 12/ 6 packs and they have changed the label style. Personally I kind of like the older labels. I noticed the Lindley Park, which was one of their more sought after beers had the wax omitted and I suspect the Event Horizon will too. This may be the last of the, shall I say “reserve” beers from them that has the wax coating around the cap. If that interests you, I doubt next years will have it! (4.5)

humuloner22, Nov 17, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Bomber poured into a snifter

A - very dark brownish amber with a thin lacing of off white head that fades quickly

S - figs, dates, plums, candy sugar, caramel

T - caramel, bread, candy sugar, figs, dates, raisins, plums, faint chocolate, alcohol, mild hop bitterness in the finish

M - full bodied, smooth, warm, well carbonated

This is a solid barleywine. It has good flavor and very good balance. I really enjoyed this beer.

tdm168, Jun 08, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

2010 bottle. Dark brown with some amber and burgundy hues in it. Large lasting khaki colored head that holds it's shape until the glass is empty. This beer is pure eye-candy. Smells sweet. I can't quite put my finger on what kind of sweet. Just sweet. It's also very fruity. Cherries, Peaches, Fruit cocktail.
Wonderful malt heavy flavors of burnt toast, sweetness, cherries and peaches as in the nose. Chicory maybe. Hint of pine. With a bourbon finish. Very good beer. I wish I had bought more. Mouthfeel is smooth and full. Very easy to drink for a barleywine.

wcudwight, Dec 13, 2010