Irish Walker - Olde Hickory Brewery

Irish WalkerIrish Walker

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

English Barleywine |  10.14% ABV

(Beer added by: oberon on 12-25-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Irish Walker Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

Probably the best Barleywine I've had. Very nice flavor & surprisingly smooth.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

4.46/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Irish Walker (2014)

I had seen this beer around for years and then last spring I decided I would try it and damned if it wasn’t there. So, I waited around and then it popped up sometime around the summer, at least that is when I bought this one. I had read that barleywine’s do better with some age, so I have waited until now to try this one. So, it’s got like 6 months on it. I had only tried one barleywine previous to this one, at least that I was aware of.

Appearance: Pours with a dark rich reddish brown color. Beautiful in the glass. I decent amount of head that settles into virtually nothing. Just a film over the top of the beer once it relaxes. (4.75)

Smell: Sweet, boozey, and dark fruits dominate the aroma. It almost has a boozy prune juice smell going on. (4.25)

Taste: Dark fruits dominate this one. Its sweet, and it is boozy I would recommend that you share this, as it is 10% abv. Not that you couldn’t but this is a very rich beer. It actually says on the bottle to share with friends. I get, a lot of those winter dark fruits, almost fruitcake like flavors going on. This is called an English style barleywine because it has less hop dominance than American styles and I although I have not had many of this style, I would have to agree there is no hops in this one, if there is, you certainly cannot taste them. Plumbs, figs, cereal notes dominate. In the aftertaste you get a bit of hop assertiveness but it is very mild. (4.5)

Overall: This is a well made beer, by one of my favorite local brewers. I may have to grab a few more up to cellar, before they are gone again. One note they have just began the transition to 12/ 6 packs and they have changed the label style. Personally I kind of like the older labels. I noticed the Lindley Park, which was one of their more sought after beers had the wax omitted and I suspect the Event Horizon will too. This may be the last of the, shall I say “reserve” beers from them that has the wax coating around the cap. If that interests you, I doubt next years will have it! (4.5)

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

T: malty molasses sweetness, but as soon as that wears off an overpowering bitterness from the hops come through. Really more of an American Barleywine than English

M: Many detected a medium body, but I detect both heavy body and thin body, varying in between sips

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 22 oz wax-sealed brown bomber into a clear glass snifter. 2010 vintage. Purchased at Peabody's (Boone, NC) and cellared at about 60-65F for several years.

A: Fairly clear medium-brown with short cap of light beige head fading pretty quickly to leave a few blobs of lace.

S: Malty aroma with a heavy dose of medium and darker, burnt caramel, herbal and floral hops, not much in the way of fruity esters but a bit of mustiness, faint oxidation but nothing off-putting.

T: Really nice full-flavored English barleywine, not at all hot but very well-balanced. Definintely favors the caramel style of barleywine, not much for fruitiness but a lot of darker crystal malts leaving a slightly sticky burnt caramel character along with some leafy, herbal hoppiness, almost tobacco-like. Alcohol is well-hidden. A shade under medium bitterness. A delight to drink.

M: Creamy medium-full body with low-medium carbonation and reasonably dry finish despite the sweetness and nearly full body.

O: I really enjoyed Irish Walker and it makes me want to look through the cellar to find my other bottle (2011 vintage) and give it a try to see how long I should hang onto this in the future!

Irish Walker from Olde Hickory Brewery