Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Death By Hops - Olde Hickory Brewery

Death By HopsDeath By Hops

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Beer added by: ROBORB on 09-22-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Death By Hops Alström Bros
firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle from Justin! Pours bright golden copper with minimal head and little lacing. Nose is just spectacular with big dank and floral notes. Piney and resinous which hits the palate, and then a melon fruit takes over. Ends resinous and bitter.

Very nice and glad to get to try this one. (287 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +22.6%

"Enjoy me before" date of Feb. 2015, purchased at Sam's in Durham, NC.

This excellent brew deserves more love, so though I had sworn off reviewing I had to add a quick note:

Wonderful full-bodied IPA with complex array of notes and one of the best finishes of any beer I have ever had. One of those beers that is best from mid-palate to the finish. Highly recommended. (370 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

I was given a bottle by a high school buddy in Charlotte, NC. This is a really great beer. The appearance is a classic IPA, amber with some carbonation, and a medium foam that dissapates after tasting. The smell subtle at first but comes through with full IPA aroma. The taste is full flavor from first sip to the final taste. There are hints of fruits(grapefruit, orange, and slight hint if bulb florals. The feel and drinkability are superb with IPA aftertaste which reflects the excellent flavor of this brew. It would be nice to have this beer in the Chicago area beer stores. (580 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured a hazy orange, fast rising bubbles and a decent white foamy head. Pretty good retention with consistent webbing throughout.

Powerful aromas of pine, cedar, grass, citrus fruit, and earth. A mild sweetness coming from the crystal caramel malt.

Excellent hoppiness up front with strong bitterness throughout. Sweet towards the back and then the dryness follows inviting you to take another sip. The hop selection is amazing I can pick out the grapefruit cascade hop, and the intensely floral centennial hop.

Leaves mouth feeling dry and fruity.

Overall this was an amazing IPA and I have two more bottles of this so I'm excited to break into those at some point (671 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

On my quest to try more local crafts, I tried this at Duckworths. Great IPA. The bartender told me it was created by a homebrewer. So I don't know whether to give the credit to the homebrewer or the brewery. So I'll give credit to the brewery for finding a great homebrewer to make a great hoppy beer. (301 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

Bomber with "Best by" notching of December 2011. Thanks to n2185 for this one.

Poured into two Crate & Barrel 14oz tulips. Not a lot of head, but decent carbonation. The aroma is somewhat milder than expected for the name, but definitely pine/resin hops. The initial taste is a nice firm, but not overpowering, crystal malt backbone with a nice hit of hop flavor and bitterness. The bitterness lingers for quite a while. I thought it was great, but could have been balanced with a little more aroma; my wife thought it was a little too much on the bitterness, and she is quite the hophead.

Overall, I really liked this beer. It straddles the line between IPA and DIPA. Even the brewer can't quite figure it out. The label says "India Pale Ale" while the web site says Double IPA. The ABV, and flavor and aroma hops are more in the IPA range, while the buttering hops are firmly in DIPA territory. The finish reminds me of Victory Hop Wallop. I'll have to get another some time. (979 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured this beer into a wide mouth DFH glass.

The beer pours a golden amber with a thin white lacing. The smell is under bearing with a slight citrus background. The bitterness hits you right up front and subsides throughout the swallow. The mouthfeel is rather pleasant with a minor alcohol finish. Overall this is my first beer ever from both the state of North Carolina and Olde Hickory. I believe this brewery is heading in the right direction. This is a solid IPA. A little too bitter with not enough floral and fruity notes for my taste, but I certainly wouldn't pour this beer down the drain. (601 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Bright straw color with a little bit of cloudiness. About a quarter inch of head that fell quick. Real nice aroma. Sweet and hoppy. Real good earthy and citrusy notes. This beer has a great scent, smells so fresh. Like most IPAs, the main focus is the hops. However, only good IPAs are bold but balanced, this hits that perfectly. Enough malty sweetness at first then a great hop combination. Great mouthfeel. IPAs are one of my favorite beers so I could drink plenty of these, it is a sessionable beer for me. (510 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured From a Bomber.

A: Pours a great, bright amber color with a 1/4 inch head that has a nice frothy aspect to it.

S: A lot going on here! Lots of different hop notes, strong citrus. Also has a distinct floral scent, like standing in a wildflower field on a breezy summer day. A hint of pine. I don't think this could be improved!

T: Crisp, but not too sweet as I am seeing in other IIPAs lately. I like that they kept this at 7% abv. Has great hops flavors, you sure can tell its been dry-hopped. Lots of different citrus notes, with a nice bite right in the middle of your mouth. mild tingle in the bac. This could be somewhat sessionable, unheard of for most IIPA's.

M: Just a touch of stickyness, not too much. Makes you pucker just a little.

O: A wonderfull example of the style, without being over the top. Hope this one stays year round now! I think this may be my favorite! (890 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into a pint glass on special at Duckworths. It had more of an XPA color to it than a typical IPA. The smell is all hops! It really is death by hops. The taste follows smell. It is a little biscuity for my personal taste. There is little mouthfeel to speak of. Probably it's greatest deficiency. Overall, I liked this representation. Not afraid of being a hoppy beer. (373 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

On tap at Duckworths in Charlotte.

Golden color with excellent clairty. Light white head, great lacing and decent retention.

Great hoppy aroma with notes of citrus and pine. Some undertones of honey and apple in the nose as well.

Wow! What a blast of hops. Initial and finishing bitterness is pretty intense. Getting past that bitterness is "fun". Citrus and strong pine flavors here.

Nearly perfect mouthfeel with great carbonation and excellent flow.

I could definitely drink a lot of this one and at 7% abv it wouldn't completely annihalate my soul. Although the hops would serve me a happy death! (607 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%

22 oz bomber poured into pint glass.

A: Murky golden pour - 1.5 inch rocky head - head lingers to 1/4 inch minimum
S: Piney hops, slight citrus - hop bomb
T: Malt body overpowered by hop flavor as is the style for an American DIPA. Bitterness is well maintained and shows care in brewing process to avoid pucker. Slight resiney character but appears to be mostly pellet hop additions late in boil with some apparent dry hop or hopback post-fermentation additions.
M: Slightly slick but bitterness is well maintained - carbonation is very appropriate for style and presentation.

O: Well, they call it death by hops, so it lives up to the name. I would prefer a bit more malt diversity to add a bit more complexity. Overall this is exactly what it should be if the point was to produce a highly hopped IPA bordering on the Double IPA territory. If you like super hop smelly IPAs, then this is for you. Great rep from a small East Coast brewery. (944 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure why this is classified as a double or imperial IPA. I think this is simply an American IPA at7% abv. - very average. Not bad but not great either. Pours a cloudy copper orange some head and pretty good lacing. Fruity hoppy aroma. the taste is good, but the finish is more bitter than I like. Not one I would buy again, but certainly would not turn down if offered at a party. (384 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -26.5%

I was a little disappointed with this offering from Olde Hickory. Aromas of piney hops with a subtle spice. The malt is a little heavy handed on the palate with a slightly unpleasant, soapy character coming through. the finish has plenty of hop bite but it comes off a little sloppy with citrus, earthy notes and sweet malt leaving me wishing this one was a little more balanced. Overall i was glad i tried it but wasn't blown away as some other people have been on this IPA from OH. (483 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

One of my favorite beers right now.. Cant get enough. On tap at Duckworth's served in a pilsner. THe appearence is top notch, hazy orange color with about a half inch of white foam. Can barely see my fingers through the glass. Smells of wonderful floral hop aromas. Some grapefruit or other hints of citrus. Taste is consistent with the smell and the slightly creamy and full mouthfeel leaves you wanting another sip. Hop taste doesnt linger in your mouth for long which I like because I can easily enjoy on of my favorite stouts afterwards if I please (552 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Thanks to chefkevlar for this beer! Bottle marked 'drink by 4/2012'.

Writing this as I enjoy it :)

A- medium orange in color. some lacing, not much, and a small head that dissappates quickly.

S- huge hop aroma. is it possible for it to be piney and citric at the same time? Wow

T- quite bitter up front, mid palate is smooth, long and bitter finish. Not sure what the IBU's are on this but it has to be significant.

M- mouthfeel - really complex with layers of flavor. Gentle malt flavor, but tons of hops all over my mouth. Not super heavy in body. My mouth is watering for some food with this to complement the beer.

O- This is a really interesting beer. Literally a 2 minute finish on it. You can tell this was made with loving care. I love it!

Serving type: bottle (777 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Picked up a 22 at Brawley's on a recent trip to NC... Pours a very nice copper color with a fair amount of head. Some pleasing grapefruit on the nose. Didn't know what to expect from this one, but found it very nicely and surprisingly balanced. Hoppy per the name with some bitterness on the finish, but more DIPA sweetness than I expected for 7.0% - feels like closer to 9% or 10%. Mouthfeel is medium at least and really pleasant. Death by Hops gets even nicer as it warms.

Search this out if you're in NC and give it a try. I would definitely buy again. (558 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

This is a good beer. Seriously though I do wake up some morning having dreamed about this one. I am still impressed every time I drink something from these folks, thinking yes, maybe they still are the best NC brewery!?!? This effort from Old Hickory makes my mouth OK, what you got, but then delivering a perfectly planned suicide of hopness that makes we go....emmm, yes please. If you have not tried this brewery, you must. They are seriously on their way to a great run as a down home brew pub turned stand up brewery. This is a good effort by them which could stand on its on in a a fight between Brad Pitt in Troy and those special effects 300 tried to pull off as a Troy on acid. (686 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer is all about the aroma and the aftertaste, both of which are really great. Initial taste is underwhelming, but this is more than made up for by the aftertaste, which is dry and lingers forever. This is not a sweet, malty beer. If is light enough to enjoy a lot of it without getting weighted down by sweetness. Definitely one I will return to. (353 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

Wow - this beer is sparking some extreme reviews and I guess that shouldn't be surprising since (as the name implies) this is somewhat of an extreme IPA.

Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - light orange - typical for the style - small head with good lacing

S - Smells great like an uber-hopped IPA should - lots of citrus (grapefruit and orange) and a little pine; appropriate strength of aroma for a big IPA; I did not get any of the vegetal, onion, garlic, grass aromas (or taste) noted by some of the other reviews at all (that kind of smell in an IPA usually comes from Summit hops, like those used in Oskar Blues Gubna and Green Flash Imperial IPA, and to my knowledge DBH doesn't use Summit hops) ...

T - It starts with citrus sweetness at the front of the tongue and then the hop bitterness builds slowly with layer upon layer of glorious hop complexity. It finishes dry with a long, lingering, overpowering, palate destroying hop bitterness. I think the divergent opinions on this beer may be based in large part on the finish which is among the most bitter I've ever tasted on an IPA/DIPA. It is definitely a hop forward beer - not a lot of balance from the malts. For me the hop overload on this beer is outstanding, but I can see that for others (even those who are fans of big IPAs) it might be a bit much.

M - Fairly typical for the style (for an IPA, not a DIPA) - not a lot of carbonation, but adequate

D - At 7% ABV the reason this beer is classified as a Double IPA is solely because of it's extreme hop forward nature and the long bitter finish. While theoretically you could knock back several of these without feeling the alcohol, the palate punishing hop load means for most people (myself included) a single bomber will suffice.

This will definitely become a regular part of my IPA rotation now that is is available in bottles. I'm very glad to have such an outstanding IPA brewed and bottled locally. (1,955 characters)

A bursting aroma of fruity hops and faint hint of malt. Color was orange and fairly clear. The flavor was hops all the way through with just enough malt presence to give it some balance. The bitterness lingers for quite a while. It did not have much head retention but the carbonation was about spot on for the style. I would make this one to try if you live in NC. I'm not sure what the distribution area is for them.

I recommend serving it at about 45-50 degrees. As it warms the hop aroma continues to intensify. (517 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.1%

I really like old hickory, but I must admit I was a bit disapointed with there latest release of death by hops. There beer looks really good and has a strong hop aroma, but the taste leaves something lacking. I cant quit put my finger on what is going on with the taste but something is missing. I origonally had this beer on draft with there 1st release a while ago and loved it! The smell, taste and look of the beer was right on. But since they have bottled it with this most recent batch Im not sure if the recipe has changed or what they did differently with this bay=tch, but I dont think it is the same beer that is was on its initial release. I do love old hickory and will continue to drink there beer, but untill they figure out what went wrong with the death by hops Ill probably stick to something else. (815 characters)

First review. I travel the country for work and I am a hop lover. I have tasted almost all the best 2x/3x IPA's for the past 10 years- like Pliny the Elder and Younger/Speakeasy 3xIPA/Dreadnaught/Sculpin IPA and this was as good as Pliny and better than Dreadnaught and Sculpin. (278 characters)

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last