The Event Horizon - Olde Hickory Brewery

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Habmike on 12-08-2010)
View: Beers (46) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Event Horizon Alström Bros
whitekiboko

South Carolina

12-27-2011 01:08:44 | More by whitekiboko
Squacher

07-07-2014 00:47:58 | More by Squacher
TheDudeRules

1.27/5  rDev -70.9%

Obsidian black pour into my Darkness tulip. 2011 bottle date.

Promising full finger of mocha head. The lacing cakes. I wasn't prepared for the smell but yet as my brain told me what it was I could not get over it. The barrel aging is there but it smelled exactly like barrel aged play-doh. Unbelievably awful nose. Put it down and came back to it after a few minutes. I sucked up the courage for a few sips and that was a big a let down as the smell. Carbonation was fine but it was malty burnt toast. Three sips is all I could muster. 19 of those 22 ounces were drain poured.

I can not see nor do I want to be told why that beer is so great. Horrid awful garbage that was made in a bathtub. One of my worst drinking experiences ever.

01-03-2012 04:19:25 | More by TheDudeRules

01-07-2012 22:40:14 | More by Tackle42
vonnegut21

08-12-2013 16:13:25 | More by vonnegut21
ChadQuest

I had two differant bottles both Pre & during DLD, One from Hannydawg and not sure about the others bringer, but thanks to both for keeping me from trading alot away for the chance to try this one.
The pour is less dark then expected and is a dark brown with moderate viscosity. I't looks average for a 8.5% stout, i would have liked to see more viscosity & depth of color.
The aroma and flavors really took me off guard, and had huge dark fruit influence throughout with strong Prune & Raisons, with a Soy & Molasses paste holding it together. There was powdered cacao blended in somewhat. I didn't notice any heat and no barrel influence either which was a let down, as being from PVW barrels this is treated as if gold.

This was one of the beers i was really excited for when i saw it out, but it was a let down. I even gave it a 2nd chance the next day, and can't report any differant.

05-01-2011 23:00:45 | More by ChadQuest
seeswo

3.1/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured into a Bruery snifter with a group of about 8 at cellar temp from the wine fridge. Pours very dark, thick black with a small cocoa head. Looks good. The nose is sweet malts and dark fruit, bourbon, oak. Smells fine. Taste is that sweet malt, dark fruit, and very understated barrel character. One note until the finish. The finish is acrid burnt something and hops. Burnt honey and bittering hops? Whatever it is, the finish does not work for me at all. It's that same finish that is present in a lot of maple imperial stouts/black ales that does not work for me at all. Good body for the ABV, which was oddly low. We had a good lineup, but this bottle wasn't finished. Let me state that again. There were 8 people there and this bottle was not finished. Everyone else was defending that it was fine, but that is not exactly what my expectation was. In my opinion, this was very forgettable and in the opinion of my group, it was only slightly better. Choo-choo

07-23-2011 15:05:33 | More by seeswo
hannydawg

3.1/5  rDev -28.9%

I saved this bottle for DLD and my first review. Thanks to ewright for trading me this bottle.

A- Dark brown with an off white head. I usually want a darker appearance on a big stout.

S- Dark fruits, slight chocolate, and a hint of bourbon, and I mean a hint. No where near as impressive as other Bourbon aged stouts, especially because of the barrel used for this beer.

T- Dark fruits, raisins, sugary malts. The chocolate on the nose is not present here, and I get no bourbon taste. Disappointing.

M- Medium body, although a little watery for the style. Carbonation is ok.

O- Maybe I hyped up this beer pre-drinking, but after sampling two bottles, one on DLD, and one the night before, this beer is a complete letdown.

05-03-2011 23:00:56 | More by hannydawg
TheKingofWichita

3.13/5  rDev -28.2%

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011. Pours a deep black color with a thick brownish white head and a small amount of lacing. Smells of sweet chocolate and coffee. Tastes of coffee, chocolate, toffee, and some roasted malts. No hops anywhere. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is low. I don't care for it.

01-30-2011 14:00:28 | More by TheKingofWichita

04-20-2014 15:08:02 | More by ThirstyHrothgar
GregSVT

3.4/5  rDev -22%

22oz bottle into a tulip - 2011 Vintage

A: Pours a very dark brown, nearly totally black, with a medium sized brown head that fades to a ring and leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of vanilla, hints of molasses, dark roasted malts, bakers chocolate, and some earthy hops in the background. The hops actually lend an odd aroma which I'm not a fan of...the rest smells delicious.

T: The taste is molasses, vanilla, dark chocolate, honey, and the earthy hops from the nose. It's a touch bitter on the finish which is surprising.

M: The feel is thick and creamy.

O: This isn't much different from the regular Imperial Stout besides some vanilla and molasses characteristics. The feel is about the best part of the beer. Could probably use a bit more time in the barrel.

02-10-2012 04:36:11 | More by GregSVT
Jmoore50

Nevada

3.43/5  rDev -21.3%

I am very particular with my barrel aged stouts. Look at my reviews and you will tell which ones I prefer. jh1982 brought this one out and I didn't think it was spectacular. He said he preferred the other Olde Hickory Stouts, which he had a few days before.

The appearance on this is great. It is a dark thick black, and poured heavily produces a nice fluffy brown head. Its thick, its black, and the head retention is good.

The smell is of sweet bourbon, tons of bitter cocoa, some roasted malts and vanilla. It smells incredibly sweet.

Lots of bitter cocoa, a strong character in this. It has a sweet bourbon and sweet honey taste that is left in the background by the cocoa. LOADS of cocoa, like hot chocolate mix. Not really melding well, kind of muddled. I wouldn't say it was smooth, but its got a lot of flavor going on.

Its a pretty heavy beer with good carbonation. The bitterness from the beer paired with the bourbon threw me off a bit. Overall I could pick a few dozen better barrel aged stouts, and this would not be one of them. Kind of let down, but still not a terrible beer at all.

04-05-2011 19:18:14 | More by Jmoore50