Bestway IPA, IPA Aged On Oak - Olde Hickory Brewery

No picture uploaded.
good

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: oberon on 08-19-2011)
1.25/5  rDev -66.1%

2.25/5  rDev -39%

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

2.98/5  rDev -19.2%

Best by date of January 2012/consumed 09/07/11.

Pours a dark amber with brown tones and a white head. Looks a bit dark for an IPA but not bad.

Nose is really pleasant with assertive fresh pineapple one might expect and hope for but there is also tones of oak and nice floral undertones.

Mouthfeel is medium/full and mouthfilling but there is no "brightness" to this beer that I favor so much in all brews.

Flavors are a bit of a disappointment, partly because the brightness is lacking but also there is a dull bitter; a "tree bark" herbal type of bitter that may be hops but remain somewhat unappealing.

The finish is big, bold and assertive but, again, there is a dull, "old grapefruit skin" character to the finish that is overwhelming.

Not a beer for me although I really appreciated the chance to try it from a brewery that I don't often see.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Bottle. Pours a dark copper color with a light white tan head. Malty, caramel notes in the nose with some hints of the woodiness that it was aged in, not overpowering but there. Some citrus in the nose as well. Sweet start with some minimal citrus rund notes that then turn slightly bitter. The oak adds a slightly tanic, earthy note that is a little overpowering to me. I like the appearance but the aroma and the taste is just ok. Medium mouthfeel.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Thanks to Bendurgin for sharing. Poured into a tulip. There is a fluffy one inch head with a lot of sticky lacing. the color is orange-red.

The aroma has some sweet pineapple with a lot of woody malt.

The taste is light in malt flavor with a lot of minty hops, particularly in the finish. There is a smooth bitter finish.

This is very light in body and has a nice fluffy carbonation.

Not bad, not great. Definitely worth drinking though.

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was very reasonably priced for a bomber. I believe I paid something like $4 for this one. Really, that is where MOST bomber should be, at least the $4-$6 range, too bad that is not normally the case.

Appearance: Nice tawny color, great head retention and crystal clear.

Smell: Not really a lot going on with this one. It had very little hop boom going on for an IPA. I got some light citrus notes and some graininess, as far as the barrel aging I didn't detect much in that department.

Taste: This tastes like an Olde Hickory IPA, they must use the same type of hops in basically everything they put out, with maybe the exception of Redeemer. I think these guys are better at other styles. I love the brewery, but I am also a fan of IPA's and they don't really do them all that well. I got very little balance, very bitter, but as I progressed through the beer it did begin to taste better than it did when I started. Maybe it was the alcohol kicking in and dulling the senses a bit. I didn't get very much if any of the barrel character in the taste either. They must not age it very long.

Overall: I am happy I tried it, I was good with the price, it was right on point as far as that goes. If you run across this oddball in the OHB lineup give it a try. You may like it.

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle courtesy of brent. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a clear amber with a finger of white bubbly head.

Oranges and pineapple in the aroma. Lots of tropical fruit with hints of spicy hops in the background. Lots of bitter hops here for sure but it kind of masks anything else. A little woody on the pallet but this is more or less a hop mess; just bitter with not much else.

A little bit sharp on the feel and medium bodied.

I gotta say I love hops but this seems to just be bitter. Not necessarily a bad thing but I would like a little more flavor diversity. Not bad, but a little one dementional for me.

Bestway IPA, IPA Aged On Oak from Olde Hickory Brewery