Lindley Park - Olde Hickory Brewery

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

An imperial stout brewed with honey and raspberries, then aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: GehenHerzog on 11-08-2011)

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

Big thanks goes out to sincereNC for sharing this one with me! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a massively dark brown with a half finger brown head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, subtle roasted malt, dark chocolate, raspberries, and a subtle tart note. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark chocolate, raspberries, and tart cherries. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. I'm not sure how I feel about the new 'let's add fruit to this stout to make it better' movement, but this one just did not do it for my palate. While it was quite easy to drink, it just didn't continue to make me come back for more and more as I would have hoped. While still good, it just feel a little short of my expectations.

3.81/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Sam for this one. 2012 vintage. 22oz waxed and capped bomber into a Brooklyn Brewery pint. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a frothy 2 finger dark mocha colored head with moderate retention. Beer is thick, viscous and pitch black. Lacing is stringy and sparse with little stick. Moderate legs. Pretty good.

Nose is chocolate, cocoa powder and raspberry puree in the back. Deep stout aromas with just a slightest hint of fruit. On point. Aromatic too.

Opens chocolate, fudge, salt, and raspberry pulp and seed. Boozy in the middle with a sweet molasses, honey, and syrup quality. Ends chocolate raspberry truffle. Finishes sweet with a sweet, dark red fruit and cocoa powder aftertaste. Great complexity and certainly unique... but not particularly good.

Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Oily with some sparse bubbles in the mouth and goes down warm and slightly boozy. Finishes messy with lingering aftertaste that coats the mouth. Pretty good but the bubbles make this one a touch thin.

After all I've heard about this beer, I'm honestly a bit disappointed. The raspberry presence turns out to be a bit too salty and the ample carbonation present in this one makes it a touch thin in the mouth... which is a killer for the style. This is definitely worth trying because its got some unique things going on. But its not one I'd go out of my way to revisit.

3.81/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2013 vintage courtesy of LGB362.

A: Vigorous pour into a snifter. Pours jet black with no head. This surprises me based on other reviews.

S: Winner here. Nice raspberry and chocolate aroma coming through.

T: Good, not great. You get the sweetness of the berries and chocolate, but I also get a heavy char. Char mellows when warming, but still there. This may be just me, but I get a heavy dose of the honey when I burp.

M: About average. Let down by the lack of carbonation. Figured this would be the case with the lack of a head.

O: Very good, but not what I was expecting.

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

poured 12oz bottle into chalice. Bottled in fall of 2013.

A - Very dark, almost black with a blood red tinge around the edge. Thin brown head that fades away and leaves no lacing behind.

S - Smells like a nice RIS with big roasted malts, bitter chocolate,raspberry, and dark fruit. Hints of honey, vanilla, and oak come through as it warms.

T - Starts out with a mix of roasted malt, raspberry, and bitter chocolate. Dark fruits are noticeable in the middle along with hints of bourbon and honey. The finish really brings out the raspberry flavors.

M - Medium bodied with okay carbonation. Finish has a bit of tart/bitter feel to it.

O - This beer was good, but I think it would have been even better if it was not barrel aged. It seemed like the barrel aging made it a bit harsh, even after resting a year. I think it would be more raspberry and chocolate without sitting in a barrel.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Thanks to BubbaBeerMan for sending me a bottle of this in a recent trade.

Pours viscous and pitch black with a thin beige head that quickly settles into a lasting ring. Sporadic spots of lace left behind.

Sweet, vinous aroma that's dominated by the raspberries. There's also a decent barrel presence and some roasted dark malt notes underneath. The nose is bursting forth with fresh raspberries but they are countered by the dry oak and sweet bourbon along with hints of dark chocolate, coffee and toast.

Medium bodied but a bit thinner than expected with subtle oxidization and tight carbonation up front. The beer looks viscuos and oily but it's slightly watered down and not as chewy/full as I had hoped for.

This beers has a complex flavor profile with a balance of fresh fruit, earthy oak, bourbon and dark malt. There's a huge burst of sweet, uber-fresh raspberry up front that dominates the flavor and lingers throughout. This beer is still young so I suspect that this will fade over time but for now the flavor is really strong. It seems like I can even taste the seeds which give it a slight earthy presence. The fruit flavor is countered by the dry toasted oak and near burnt dark malts. Subtle coffee roast, dry wood and bitter dark chocolate notes along with some boozy bourbon sweetness. The bourbon is faint and there is more of a non descript alcohol flavor than anything but the beer never becomes harsh or overly hot. Still, the oxidization and dry wood/roast flavor hurt the drinkability for me. This beer has the potential of being a chocolate covered bourbon raspberry delight but it well a little short of my expectations.

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Tap at Duckworths. Wow is that a dark brown head, though it did not last terribly long. Pretty thick black below that.

Aroma, noticeable fruit, raspberry, blackberry. Roast malt and dark chocolate. Not really all that potent, though the 8.5oz glassware here is lacking.

Taste, pretty interesting. Starts with the slightly tart/sweet of the dark red fruit. Melds nicely into the roast malt and chocolates. A little vanilla and just the faintest anise. The cocoa really lingers.

A decently heavy body, good level of carbonation, no alcohol presence. I also get zero barrel presence.

A tough one for me. Have not cared for any of the fruit imperial stouts. This one did was better than some, but I am glad I didn't have to go through the bull to get a bottle. Glad I did not fork out for the bottle. At the same time I would definetely recommend it.

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into my Delirium tulip.

Appeared a jet black color with a bit of red-colored "hue" to it around the edges when held to the light. Very fluffy three finger head which also had a bit of reddish tone to it.

Smell was fantastic. Smelled like black raspberries mixed with chocolate. Slight alcohol scent but not overpowering. A bit roasty.

Taste was a bit of a let down compared to the smell. Way too sweet. I do like raspberry but this was a bit overpowering. Would have liked the bourbon to take away a bit of the raspberry but it was very mild.

Mouthfeel was good - medium body, smooth, no heat from the bourbon. A bit of a sour feel to it.

Overall I liked it and thought it was a good representation of the style. They hit the nail on the head with what they were going for, though I think it was a bit too on the sweet side for my liking. Glad I tried it, though!

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

We opened this up during the tasting this weekend. Poured into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours almost black with some red at the edge. There is just a layer of off white head that fades to a thin ring on top of the pour.

Smell: Smells like raspberry truffles. I'm picking up some of the honey and lots of raspberries with chocolate and some roast. Quite smooth with very little alcohol.

Taste: Chocolate and raspberries dominate. There is a tartness from the berries, but it doesn't clash with the roast. Quite sweet and warm from alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: The raspberries were tastefully done. There is a good balance and this makes a really nice desert beer. I'd have another given the chance.

Lindley Park from Olde Hickory Brewery