Peabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon Barrels - Olde Hickory Brewery

Peabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon BarrelsPeabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon Barrels

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

English Barleywine |  10.20% ABV

This is a collaboration with Peabody's Wine and Beer Merchants, and is the first in a series of blended one-off brews. Series #1 entitled Lock, Stock and Bourbon Barrels is a blend of several vintages of barleywine that have been aged in bourbon barrels and then blended back in together for the ultimate layered experience! Only 480 bottles were made of series #1!

(Beer added by: roywilliams on 06-27-2013)
Reviews by brentk56:
brentk56

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: Pours out without a lot of carbonation, but given the beers that were used in the blend this is not surprising; the liquid is a cola brown color with a ringlet of bubbles around the edge that dot the tulip

Smell: Bourbon, oak, caramel, figs, dates and tobacco

Taste: Bourbon and caramel, up front, with dark fruit (figs and dates) building; earthy hops arrive, at mid-palate, along with tobacco tones; after the swallow, the complex sweeter flavors dominate along with the Bourbon and a growing oaky character

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low to moderate carbonation

Overall: If this is not the best beer I have ever tasted, it is the best beer I have tasted in a long, long while

07-14-2013 01:32:22 | More by brentk56
tectactoe

06-28-2014 23:52:45 | More by tectactoe
Spaten454

Louisiana

06-14-2014 21:17:42 | More by Spaten454
Mantooth

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Brawley's tulip glass.

A: A vigorous pour yields a small head that dissipates quickly, thin lazy lacing remains constant. On first blush I thought the brew was jet black - a good flashlight beam didn't pierce the liquid at full pour; but as the glass emptied it revealed itself, dark garnet.

S: Where to start? Bourbon sweetness, caramel, oak, charred wood, ripe dark fruit, butterscotch and figs. Amazing nose.

T: To paraphrase Toucan Sam... It follows the nose, it always knows! Sweet, warm and inviting. Beautifully designed beer.

M: Wonderfully viscous.

O: Everyone's talking about cellaring this brew but it's fantastic right now. I was lucky enough to snag a couple, so I guess I'll hold one back a spell but I can't imagine it getting better than this. Not sure how that would be possible but I can't wait to find out.

Notes: My girlfriend and I paired some Blendiculous with fresh black cherries, what a treat. I also sipped a bit of 21 year old Bushmills with the brew, for the hell of it, which was interesting - but the smoothness of Blendiculous rendered the previously conceived smoothness of the much stronger Bushmills inept. I'd stick with the cherries, although good chocolate and/or cheese would be fun too.

We're lucky to live close to Olde Hickory and we're usually able to secure a bit of everything that comes out of the brewery (with a bit of effort and the help of a great friend). I've often said that nobody in the state of NC is brewing on the level of Olde Hickory. I'm close to extending that thought to the nation as a whole. My girlfriend called this the best beer she's had from Olde Hickory, and she's been spoiled rotten by multiple years of The Event Horizon, Lindley Park, Irish Walker, Imperial Stout, Seven Devils, etc. Fantastic beer.

07-12-2013 14:31:28 | More by Mantooth

01-17-2014 20:31:35 | More by twowheelssoar
StoutItOutLoud

06-07-2014 21:36:30 | More by StoutItOutLoud
Alieniloquium

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear deep amber body. Small khaki head and a thin collar.

Smell - Lots of bourbon and oak. Very nice bourbon and vanilla. Malty.

Taste - Sweet caramel. Sharp bourbon. Lots of oak. A little bitter. Straightforward.

Mouthfeel - Oaky and boozy. Astringent.

Overall - Really nice barre, but it masks any complexity.

11-26-2013 02:25:54 | More by Alieniloquium
gr8zehaman

12-17-2013 20:13:34 | More by gr8zehaman
GRG1313

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%

10-31-2013 18:16:17 | More by GRG1313
littlerilo

4.96/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to the crew at Peabody's for saving me one of these little gems. This is probably the best example of a barrel aged Barleywine that I have ever had, and after reading some of the reviews I see that I am not alone. The beer smells like chocolate cake and the soft notes of sweet caramel bourbon are fantastic! 10% abv is incredibly woven into the beer with a nice warming, sweet (but not to sweet) finish. Olde Hickory and Peabody's nailed this one, this one lives up to the hype, truly one of the best brews I have had to date. I wish I had more!!!

09-16-2013 19:52:15 | More by littlerilo

Devi0us

07-24-2013 22:13:23 | More by Devi0us
nc41

4.69/5  rDev +4%

Ya right, we're all homers over rating this brew to drive up the trade value.

Bullshit.

Sorry, your wrong and this is great beer, coulda had it for a shelf beer. This is a tremendous brew, as most from Olde Hickory. Very complex, maybe from the duel barrels. I have a hard time with appearance as it looks good like it should, smells where it's what's expected to be , hence no 5. This is a great tasting brew smooth complex, lots of fruit, sane ABV. I have one I'm saving for a one day in the future vertical. Fully worth the time money or both. The best BW I've had to date.

08-11-2013 03:31:37 | More by nc41

08-05-2013 22:50:09 | More by billyshears
FUwolfpacker

South Carolina

4.54/5  rDev +0.7%

So excited to finally open one of my two bottles! Poured into a Brewery 85 tulip.

A: Reddish, brown with some haziness. A small amount of off-white head.

S: Huge coconut/bourbon notes. Some very ripe dark fruits also poke their way through.

T: Coconut, very ripe plums, raisins, caramel, some hop/booze bite on the very back end. Sweet but not overly so. Without a doubt, it's the best tasting barelywine I've ever had.

M: Coats the mouth as you would expect given the sweetness but it dries out fairly quick.

O: I was hopeful, but skeptical, of all the hype. Even though Chris from Peabody's told me it was absolutely amazing I had a hard time believing it. Well, it lives up to all the hype. It's just an amazing BA english barleywine. If King Henry really is better than this, then I want to avoid it at all cost because I would probably die from an overdose of beer ecstasy! If you are ever lucky enough to have this beer, consider yourself lucky! It's amazing!

09-17-2013 00:06:22 | More by FUwolfpacker

VAbdoyan

06-17-2014 18:40:04 | More by VAbdoyan
Dave_Treat

06-16-2014 01:31:53 | More by Dave_Treat
Peabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon Barrels from Olde Hickory Brewery