1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Peabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon Barrels - Olde Hickory Brewery

Peabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon BarrelsPeabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon Barrels

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

English Barleywine |  10.20% ABV

This is a collaboration with Peabody's Wine and Beer Merchants, and is the first in a series of blended one-off brews. Series #1 entitled Lock, Stock and Bourbon Barrels is a blend of several vintages of barleywine that have been aged in bourbon barrels and then blended back in together for the ultimate layered experience! Only 480 bottles were made of series #1!

(Beer added by: roywilliams on 06-27-2013)
Reviews by thegoon55:

thegoon55, Nov 23, 2013

tectactoe, Jun 29, 2014

Spaten454, Jun 14, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Brawley's tulip glass.

A: A vigorous pour yields a small head that dissipates quickly, thin lazy lacing remains constant. On first blush I thought the brew was jet black - a good flashlight beam didn't pierce the liquid at full pour; but as the glass emptied it revealed itself, dark garnet.

S: Where to start? Bourbon sweetness, caramel, oak, charred wood, ripe dark fruit, butterscotch and figs. Amazing nose.

T: To paraphrase Toucan Sam... It follows the nose, it always knows! Sweet, warm and inviting. Beautifully designed beer.

M: Wonderfully viscous.

O: Everyone's talking about cellaring this brew but it's fantastic right now. I was lucky enough to snag a couple, so I guess I'll hold one back a spell but I can't imagine it getting better than this. Not sure how that would be possible but I can't wait to find out.

Notes: My girlfriend and I paired some Blendiculous with fresh black cherries, what a treat. I also sipped a bit of 21 year old Bushmills with the brew, for the hell of it, which was interesting - but the smoothness of Blendiculous rendered the previously conceived smoothness of the much stronger Bushmills inept. I'd stick with the cherries, although good chocolate and/or cheese would be fun too.

We're lucky to live close to Olde Hickory and we're usually able to secure a bit of everything that comes out of the brewery (with a bit of effort and the help of a great friend). I've often said that nobody in the state of NC is brewing on the level of Olde Hickory. I'm close to extending that thought to the nation as a whole. My girlfriend called this the best beer she's had from Olde Hickory, and she's been spoiled rotten by multiple years of The Event Horizon, Lindley Park, Irish Walker, Imperial Stout, Seven Devils, etc. Fantastic beer.

Mantooth, Jul 12, 2013

JulianB, Aug 05, 2013

twowheelssoar, Jan 17, 2014

StoutItOutLoud, Jun 07, 2014
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear deep amber body. Small khaki head and a thin collar.

Smell - Lots of bourbon and oak. Very nice bourbon and vanilla. Malty.

Taste - Sweet caramel. Sharp bourbon. Lots of oak. A little bitter. Straightforward.

Mouthfeel - Oaky and boozy. Astringent.

Overall - Really nice barre, but it masks any complexity.

Alieniloquium, Nov 26, 2013

gr8zehaman, Dec 17, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -16.9%

GRG1313, Oct 31, 2013
4.96/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to the crew at Peabody's for saving me one of these little gems. This is probably the best example of a barrel aged Barleywine that I have ever had, and after reading some of the reviews I see that I am not alone. The beer smells like chocolate cake and the soft notes of sweet caramel bourbon are fantastic! 10% abv is incredibly woven into the beer with a nice warming, sweet (but not to sweet) finish. Olde Hickory and Peabody's nailed this one, this one lives up to the hype, truly one of the best brews I have had to date. I wish I had more!!!

littlerilo, Sep 16, 2013

CruisaC, Nov 16, 2013

wolfeman007, Aug 03, 2013

CHILLINDYLAN, May 14, 2014

asustevo, Jul 03, 2013

Devi0us, Jul 24, 2013
4.69/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ya right, we're all homers over rating this brew to drive up the trade value.

Bullshit.

Sorry, your wrong and this is great beer, coulda had it for a shelf beer. This is a tremendous brew, as most from Olde Hickory. Very complex, maybe from the duel barrels. I have a hard time with appearance as it looks good like it should, smells where it's what's expected to be , hence no 5. This is a great tasting brew smooth complex, lots of fruit, sane ABV. I have one I'm saving for a one day in the future vertical. Fully worth the time money or both. The best BW I've had to date.

nc41, Aug 11, 2013

largadeer, Aug 24, 2014

benjaminahudson, Sep 18, 2013

billyshears, Aug 05, 2013
4.54/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So excited to finally open one of my two bottles! Poured into a Brewery 85 tulip.

A: Reddish, brown with some haziness. A small amount of off-white head.

S: Huge coconut/bourbon notes. Some very ripe dark fruits also poke their way through.

T: Coconut, very ripe plums, raisins, caramel, some hop/booze bite on the very back end. Sweet but not overly so. Without a doubt, it's the best tasting barelywine I've ever had.

M: Coats the mouth as you would expect given the sweetness but it dries out fairly quick.

O: I was hopeful, but skeptical, of all the hype. Even though Chris from Peabody's told me it was absolutely amazing I had a hard time believing it. Well, it lives up to all the hype. It's just an amazing BA english barleywine. If King Henry really is better than this, then I want to avoid it at all cost because I would probably die from an overdose of beer ecstasy! If you are ever lucky enough to have this beer, consider yourself lucky! It's amazing!

FUwolfpacker, Sep 17, 2013

KevSal, Feb 16, 2014

RedNeckGurl, Feb 16, 2014

VAbdoyan, Jun 17, 2014

Dave_Treat, Jun 16, 2014
Peabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon Barrels from Olde Hickory Brewery