Peabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon Barrels - Olde Hickory Brewery

Peabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon BarrelsPeabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon Barrels

Olde Hickory Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

English Barleywine |  10.20% ABV

This is a collaboration with Peabody's Wine and Beer Merchants, and is the first in a series of blended one-off brews. Series #1 entitled Lock, Stock and Bourbon Barrels is a blend of several vintages of barleywine that have been aged in bourbon barrels and then blended back in together for the ultimate layered experience! Only 480 bottles were made of series #1!

(Beer added by: roywilliams on 06-27-2013)
View: Beers (46) |  Events

07-03-2013 00:21:15 | More by asustevo
RedNeckGurl

02-16-2014 15:57:47 | More by RedNeckGurl
roywilliams

One of the best beers I've ever enjoyed from Olde Hickory. This is right up there with the 2011 Event Horizon I aged for 2 years. Extremely well balanced, yet full flavored. Great barrel integration. Extremely pleasant long finish. Drinking really great now.

06-27-2013 17:49:05 | More by roywilliams
legend8706

First off thanks to brother_kenneth for bringing this to the small bottle share/get together last night! This beer is remarkable in every aspect and is a must have to be in every cellar!
A - Pours a murky, dark mahogany brown with little to no head

S - Tons of toffee and raisins right away followed by bourbon, wood and maybe a little bit of chocolate. This is one beer I could leave in front of my nose day after day and not get tired of the beautiful aroma.

T - Like the smell I am tasting all of those notes and as it hits room temp., those flavors develop even more strongly. This is a blend of different barleywines, meaning that it has some older (aged) barleywine as well as some fresh BA barleywine so its definitely not "too hot" or boozy by any means. With that said it is definitely ready to be drank now or if you prefer leave one in your cellar and 'forget it', because either way those flavors will continue to develop even more so!

M - I've heard people say that the mouthfeel was thin and that the finish wasn't much but I tend to disagree. I think most people are expecting more of a 'hot' bourbon flavor and that isn't the case here, being that it already has some age on it being a newly bottled beer. I enjoyed every aspect of the mouthfeel as well as the finish because it satisfied my tastebuds to a tee!

O - This is one beer that I feel will not get the recognition it deserves, which is complete and utter bullshit if you ask me! By far one of my top 5 beers of all time and I am so glad I have been able to try it multiple times now. With only 480 bottles produced this one will not be around much longer so if you want to obtain a bottle better hurry up! Chris from Peabody's (Boone, NC) and the guys from Olde Hickory did a marvelous job on creating such a phenomenal brew, one that I believe is in the top beers for 2013! So keep your King Henrys, I will take a Blendiculous!

08-02-2013 10:31:40 | More by legend8706

GehenHerzog

07-15-2013 03:15:27 | More by GehenHerzog
littlerilo

4.96/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to the crew at Peabody's for saving me one of these little gems. This is probably the best example of a barrel aged Barleywine that I have ever had, and after reading some of the reviews I see that I am not alone. The beer smells like chocolate cake and the soft notes of sweet caramel bourbon are fantastic! 10% abv is incredibly woven into the beer with a nice warming, sweet (but not to sweet) finish. Olde Hickory and Peabody's nailed this one, this one lives up to the hype, truly one of the best brews I have had to date. I wish I had more!!!

09-16-2013 19:52:15 | More by littlerilo
brentk56

4.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Pours out without a lot of carbonation, but given the beers that were used in the blend this is not surprising; the liquid is a cola brown color with a ringlet of bubbles around the edge that dot the tulip

Smell: Bourbon, oak, caramel, figs, dates and tobacco

Taste: Bourbon and caramel, up front, with dark fruit (figs and dates) building; earthy hops arrive, at mid-palate, along with tobacco tones; after the swallow, the complex sweeter flavors dominate along with the Bourbon and a growing oaky character

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low to moderate carbonation

Overall: If this is not the best beer I have ever tasted, it is the best beer I have tasted in a long, long while

07-14-2013 01:32:22 | More by brentk56
Mantooth

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a bomber into a Brawley's tulip glass.

A: A vigorous pour yields a small head that dissipates quickly, thin lazy lacing remains constant. On first blush I thought the brew was jet black - a good flashlight beam didn't pierce the liquid at full pour; but as the glass emptied it revealed itself, dark garnet.

S: Where to start? Bourbon sweetness, caramel, oak, charred wood, ripe dark fruit, butterscotch and figs. Amazing nose.

T: To paraphrase Toucan Sam... It follows the nose, it always knows! Sweet, warm and inviting. Beautifully designed beer.

M: Wonderfully viscous.

O: Everyone's talking about cellaring this brew but it's fantastic right now. I was lucky enough to snag a couple, so I guess I'll hold one back a spell but I can't imagine it getting better than this. Not sure how that would be possible but I can't wait to find out.

Notes: My girlfriend and I paired some Blendiculous with fresh black cherries, what a treat. I also sipped a bit of 21 year old Bushmills with the brew, for the hell of it, which was interesting - but the smoothness of Blendiculous rendered the previously conceived smoothness of the much stronger Bushmills inept. I'd stick with the cherries, although good chocolate and/or cheese would be fun too.

We're lucky to live close to Olde Hickory and we're usually able to secure a bit of everything that comes out of the brewery (with a bit of effort and the help of a great friend). I've often said that nobody in the state of NC is brewing on the level of Olde Hickory. I'm close to extending that thought to the nation as a whole. My girlfriend called this the best beer she's had from Olde Hickory, and she's been spoiled rotten by multiple years of The Event Horizon, Lindley Park, Irish Walker, Imperial Stout, Seven Devils, etc. Fantastic beer.

07-12-2013 14:31:28 | More by Mantooth

11-04-2013 12:48:00 | More by mychalg9
chippo33

Vermont

09-27-2013 19:41:11 | More by chippo33
Peabody's Blendiculous Series #1 - Lock, Stock And Bourbon Barrels from Olde Hickory Brewery