Hoptimus Prime - Legacy Brewing Co.

Hoptimus PrimeHoptimus Prime

Legacy Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: ggaughan on 07-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoptimus Prime Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -37.7%

This beer is a little bit too intense for what it is. Very heavy on the malt, hops and and alcohol flavor.Very cloudy color and relatively dark. Carbonation is good but aroma is not really there and nothing really stood out about this beer.

Had it at Amsterdam Ale House. On draft for the time being. Try it if you want but no need to run there for it.

david18, Oct 14, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance - Poured a fairly clear gold with 1½ inches of white head that hung around amicably for several minutes in my tulip (standard taster). Five minutes later, only a quarter inch remained. Quite a bit of lacing as it died down and even more each time I swirled the glass.

Smell - Green, very green. Floral hop aroma dominates, with some pine and citrus notes. Slightly funky odor, not unlike vegetative compost.

Taste - Like sucking the juice from a grass catcher on a mower that just plowed through a field of hops. Looong bitter /citrussy, piney hop finish. I have a hard time discerning much maltiness-overpowered by the hops.

Mouthfeel - Nice carbonation, medium body.

Drinkability- The 9 % abv is hidden by the hop flavor, as is almost everything else. Still, the hops are so overpowering that I will only reluctantly finish the bottle. This beer will blow out your palate, so save it for the last beer of the night.

Comments- I tried Hopsikle once and though that was over the top, but this beer is nuts. Although I'm a big fan of most hop bombs, this is perhaps the most unbalanced DIPA I have ever had. I suppose that was the idea, so mission accomplished Legacy. But one has to ask if hops for hops sake is necessary to this degree. I would have preferred a bit more malty sweetness.

NOTE: Had this on tap in January '09 and it was a much more pleasnat experience. Still, not a fave, though...

andylipp, Jul 21, 2008

Original Rating Date:
August 22, 2008

Great hoppy scent, pours nice and golden with a large head that is especially doughy after settling. Strong hop flavor that's hampered by a bit of a watery texture. Really hoppy, but only hoppy. A lot of piney, grassy feeling. A little bit plain compared to other imperial IPAs such as Dogfish Head. This beer seems to rely on hops, whereas the DFH brew has plenty of complex, light fruits to balance out the hops. A bit of a letdown but still a must try for hopheads.

Vendetta, Dec 07, 2008

With Neko Case on the HI-Fi and, the Red Sox on NESN . I thought on this beautiful sunny Wednesday it was time to review this brew. Poured into my Rapscallion snifter there is a hug white , soapy head that leaves plenty of lacing as it sits on the end table . Aromas are weak . I try to inhale something which will get my brain going but , nothing . Sourness but nothing to the faint smell to anything . Brew is crystal clear . When held up to the window and sunlight , I can see the Irish Battleships through it . As for taste is the same , faint . Maybe my palette is not up to par but this is too weak for me . There is no devistation of my mouth . The ABV is well hidden but there is no redness to my cheeks . Is this 9% ABV ? . The lacing on the glass is fantastic but too bad the brew does not have that hoppy kick your ass aroma or flavor . It is good but it is not prime .

Kudashov, Apr 02, 2008

jenray, Nov 27, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance: Wonderfully translucent brew, with a color within the copper/reddish range, a nice contrast to the pearly white compact head.

Smell: Very gripping, resinous aroma that is quite piney at first, then goes a little more starchy/boiled potato, a nose that I enjoy, but it isn't my favorite. Not everyone I was sharing this with agreed about this smell, but it definately is one that I pick up from some types of hops at this high level.

Taste: On the first sip the malt was nice and crispy, and the alcohol surprisingly discreet the whole way through. The hops then totally take over in an unbalanced avalanche of drying harshness. For this kind of Beer, it's to be expected, but it dried up my palate so bad that I immediately craved a glass of water. Not even the tartest tongue dessicating Lambics do that to me! Maybe it's been a while since my last over-the-top IIPA and it sort of blindsided me, but usually there's a chewy malt backbone to help out your salivary glands. The hoppy aftertaste was okay, not overpowering, but the dryness just didn't push the right buttons for me.

Goldorak, May 13, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -22.7%

Bottle. Pours clear amber with a small, fizzy, white head, somewhat lasting with fair lacing. Aroma is heavy malt (bread, hay, straw, meal), heavy hops (pine, resin), average yeast (sweat) with notes of peach. Medium bodied, sticky texture, lively carbonation, and a bitter finish. Average duration, light sweetness, moderate acidity and bitterness.

BeerandBlues2, Nov 11, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

a: This was a clear, light, coppery peach color. It poured with a short lived, soapy white head that left a little lace in it's wake.

s: I found sweet aromas of caramel, brown sugar, and a little vanilla. The bitter aromas took a back seat and smelled of perfumed, piny hops. As it warms, the alcohol becomes a bit too noticeable.

t: This has a pretty nice sweet start that tastes of prickly caramel with some toffee notes. The piny hop finish is surprisingly subdued, astringent, and mildly unpleasant. It has a nice little alcoholic heat wave throughout.

m: Crisp finish and very well carbonated.

d: I wish more brewers would date their bottle. This was on the sweeter side and might have been a bit old. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing. Great name though. My inner geek made me buy this one.

DIM, Sep 15, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass

A-Slightly veiled rich golden copper with with a short eggshell head that fades fairly quickly with nice lacing that coats the glass.

S-Citrus hops and mild pine resin with sweet malts and a strange sour funk in the background. I expected a bigger punch, but maybe this is a tad overchilled, but I don't think so.

T-Surprisingly lighter than expected taste, intitially malty, then the bitter hops take over with a long astringent bitter finish. I'm not getting the mouth puckering hops that I was hoping for, and the alcohol is surpisingly well hidden. This is OK, refreshing, but a bit of a letdown.

M-DIPA? I expected a thicker, chewy resinous hop bomb. This is definately on the lighter side of medium, and again, not really what I expected.

D-This is only average to me, and there are much better examples of the style to go for. I think I'll go grab an Avera Maharaja from the fridge and get the DIPA fix I'm craving.

caddybuyer, Jul 28, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

On tap at hop devil grill.

A-Light golden yellow....light fluffy white head, with moderate lacing.
S-Really big hops...citrus orange, lemon, grapefruit.
T- Hops over done....I expected a little complexity but really there was only hops...Really bitter....and some alcohol....not malt balance to make any interesting or exciting flavors.
M/D- Bubbly for a DIPA...light, overall I might have been more impressed if this was marketed as an IPA, but when drinking something this high in alcohol I need it to be a little more complex. I wonder if I caught this one after its prime at the hop devil.

jameaterblues, Nov 17, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Looks very nice...ultra-creamy cap of foam, which leaves lace all over the place. The body is a sunny golden-orange, just slightly hop-hazed.

Why do I feel like I'm smelling a Belgian tripel, or saison? It's fruity and a little doughy from the malt. Not hoppy. Did they use a Belgian yeast strain? My nose could never have told me this was a double IPA if I hadn't known. Could also resemble a Belgian IPA aroma, but I gather that's not what Legacy was shooting for.

Flavor is also not really what is advertised on the label, but it does match what the aroma gives. It's fruity-sweet, with alcohol giving a warm hug to the taste buds; a kind of cookie dough element to the malt (shortbread, sugar cookie) but faint. Pine and citrus rind show up in the finish, which is about as close as this gets to the character of a great double IPA.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side--again, for the style. It's not bad, per se, but doesn't have that big, bountiful, sticky creaminess that others in this category do. Kinda bubbly, actually, which, again, seems all wrong here.

It's surely drinkable, as there's not much that's truly bad here. I even enjoyed it, but I really wanted a great double IPA tonight. Would be a fairly decent stab if it were trying to be an American version of a Belgian IPA, or could even hang as a decent-but-imperfect "regular" IPA. If I sound undecided, it's because this recipe seems undecided. Needs bigger malt, needs crazier hops, needs to feel thicker. Something. It is definitely no hopalacious hopdiculous hopocalypse of a double IPA.

Metalmonk, Oct 26, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz. Brown bomber, purchased at
The Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA, poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a mostly clear orangish amber. Two fingers of creamy head that holds pretty well. Good lacing.

S: Plenty of citrus hops, orange, grapefruit, maybe pineapple. Some pine and mint in the back. Healthy dose of thick sticky malts.

T/M: Moderate bitterness level due to a overbalancing from the thick, sweet malts. Malts are big and bready some some toasty notes. Hop citrus and pine is a bit subdues but still a major role. Body us full, thick, rich, and chewy.

D: I know this bottle is at least relatively fresh but the malts still overbalance too much. Couple that with a huge mouthfeel and that'll bring down the drinkabilitu a bit as well. Still a decent beer but not as good as the first time I had it.

pwoods, Jul 08, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

On tap at Zeno's. This was one I was really excited to try. I don't come across too many Legacy beers even here in central PA, and being a child in the 80's I love the name (Transformers and G.I. Joe after school every day!). Too bad the beer didn't liev up to how much I mentally hyped it up. Itr was good, just nothing all that noteworthy or special. Medium amber-gold with a small, off-white, creamy head that quickly diminishes to a film. Smell is hoppy. Floral and citrus with some decent spice and some mildy bready malt. Taste follows suit, except a bit more piney and fruity. Like I said, not bad, and I enjoyed this beer because I love the style. But compared to others of the same style it was just a little above average at best.

ski271, Mar 21, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -19%

A- This beer poured a hazy copper with a fine 1" head
S - It Smelled a wee biscuity but quite faint at best
T - Taste was tad piney with the citrus bitterness, malt trying to come through
M - it was nicely carbonated, although a a bit watery
D - Twist my arm, and I think I could have another one

brauseboof, Dec 06, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

A- Orange-tinted amber with a small white head that quickly recedes into a ring of lace.

S- Nice hoppy, citrusy aroma with a touch of sweet caramel. Not bad, but could be stronger.

T- More citrusy hops upfront with a thin, grainy malt background. The bitterness is pretty high, but I think the thin malt presence makes it seem stronger than it really is.

M- Average body with a decent carbonation level.

D- Not terrible, but I don't exactly want to drink this all night. I think I'd stop at one.

Let's just say this: the name is the best part of this beer. It's not bad, but it's pretty average. The hop profile is decent, but it needs more of a malt backing to temper the bitterness and give it some complexity. All in all, not one I'd get again or recommend to others.

vtfan77, Sep 24, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my SA perfect pint glass. Poured a nice copper color with a nice thick foamy white head. Laced nicely down the glass as well. Very light aroma, not nearly the hop presence of most of the DIPA's I have had. The malt was more predominant in the smell. Not a real strong hop presence in the taste either. I'm getting more of the maltiness then the hops. It does have a nice bitter finish but lacking the in your face hops I anticipate from DIPA. This isn't a bad beer, just not a great DIPA for me. My store just got these in so I can only assume it is a fresh batch and not one where the hops have faded over time. I enjoyed it but would probably choose a different DIPA when I'm in the mood for hops. Very drinkable for a 9% beer though.

billab914, Nov 13, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -17%

From a firkin.

Appearance: The ale is a very hazy pour (coming from a firkin, that is not surprising or unexpected) and ends up as a dark amber ale.

Smell: The hoppy spiciness grabs you first in the nose. Even with the firkining (which I find can mellow the aromas), the US Northwest varietals are strong and citrusy.

Taste: The hops may be a bit overdone here. The bitterness grabs you from the get go and does not let go. The hops give the beer a grapefruity flavor (when flavor is allowed to get through the hop blast).

Mouthfeel: See my comments above in taste, the hops could strip your tongue clean.

Drinkability: The strong hop character limits the drinkability.

akorsak, Dec 23, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -17%

A - Clear golden with an amber tint. Large head with impressive retention. Lots of lacing.

S - Pine hops, faint medicinal aroma, faint grapefruit pith as well. Faint caramel malt underneath.

T - Mild pine hops, medicinal. Aftertaste is a mesh between pine and medicinal bitterness. If there was pine flavored medice, this is how I think it would taste.

M - A tad harsh, medium boidied, frothy,. Refreshing-ish, could be a lot better though.

D - Okay, it is strong and not fantastic. I might try again if I find a bottle sometime. Though frankly, I doubt age would cull the medicine.

mrasskicktastic, Apr 16, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

thanks to Desaparecido for including this in the haul for snf lif week 6. poured from bomber into bell's tulip.

A-pours a mostly clear light amber/orange color with a thick rocky head. leaves distinct foam collar and noticeable tracing. head settles out to a thin strip with rocky chunks clinging to the side of the glass.

S-not a whole lot going on here for me. very, very subtle grapefruit hints. if there's one thing that jumps out (and there's not really), it would be sort of a biscuity maltiness.

T-as with the aroma, a rather bland taste given the category. a bit of alcohol and a decent malty sweetness, but even the up front bang and glowing warmth from the alcohol isn't as pronounced as i would expect to get from a 9% dipa. a very late hop bite in the aftertaste lends some nice lingering effects.

M-just very thin for me. i guess i would call it medium to thin, leaning on the thin side. no real creaminess and just a touch of hop stickiness at the trailing moments. carbonation level is nice though, right in that middle range where it should be.

D-very, very drinkable. not a ton of bitterness, alcohol is very well disguised. isn't overly sweet like what you get from some dipas. i'll bet that where this is readily available it can become a very dangerous session beer at 9%.

overall, this beer is just right down the middle in most categories. nothing that offends me or amazes me anywhere. except for drinkability where this is a homerun for me, it just sort of fades back into the list of good, but mediocre, dipas i've enjoyed.

charliehhelms, Nov 04, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -15.7%

Nice label. Funny. Very clear with light orange golden color. One finger, white head that settles into a thin film with low lacing. The nose becomes much more noticeable and pleasant as the beer warms. No distinguishable alcohol. Starts out as pine needles and warms into a grapefruit aroma, some spice, coriander and other herbaceousness with finish of light biscuit. Flavor is very heavily dry-hopped. Lacks a quality balance between hops and malt. Very little sweetness with moderate fruit in the middle followed by dry, cloying bitter finish. The mouthfeel is lighter than I anticipated with a solid carbonation and a sharp, dry bite. This is an ok version of the style but not something I'd rush back to especially when other strong DIPA contenders exist.

NoLiberty, Feb 08, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -15.2%

Served from a 22 oz bottle into a 12 oz glass.

Pours with a very nice head of off white foam, leaves lots of lacing all the way down the glass. Crystal clarity and medium amber color.

Smells earthy, grassy, floral.

Taste is dominated by grassiness, with some slight caramel note. Maybe a hint of diacetyl, complex and earthy.

Mouthfeel has just the right balance of carbonation and bitterness, long bitter, earthy aftertaste.

Drinkability is good, finishes dry, like a double pilsner, not much in the way of west coast hops. Alcohol is quite well hidden, no hint of the 9% here.

Give it a try.

BattleRoadBrewer, Apr 02, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -14%

Quick review on a crazy day.

Appearance - Light copper. Very clear. A good inch of head. Lots of bubbles clinging to the side. Looks nice.

Smell - Almost a little funky. Definitely some sweet malt. Hops, but not overpowering. Some definite pine cone. Not a ton of citrus. Surprisingly mellow.

Taste - Follows the smell. More malt than expected, but not too sweet or toasted. Still, the hops are very mellow. A little too sticky sweet for my taste. More mellow than many DIPAs. Would be better as an IPA.

Mouthfeel - Pretty nice. A little creamy, coats well.

Drinkability - Pretty good, especially considering the abv. But the sweetness may make this a one shot deal. Not a palate destroyer by any stretch.

A good but not great beer. It's solid, but nothing special. I'd have it again, but wouldn't seek it out or bother recommending.

callmescraps, Jul 01, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a big head that quickly goes away. Yellow with golden highlights.

No noticeable alcohol, though it has a lot. Hay smelling, some apricot, citrus.

Biting hops, piney, resiny.

Leaves a resiny aftertaste like a good DIPA should.

Overall not a bad beer. Not megatron, but shockwave.

Murchmac, Aug 14, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Picked up a bomber at The Vintage Cellar. Didn't see the movie, but definitely interested in trying the beer. Review is on a pour into an imperial pint.

Appearance: This beer looks like it will taste delicious. The liquid is a really warm coppery orange, somewhat hazy, with an enormous 3 finger rocky white head. The head fades fairly quickly to a bubbly skim, but leaves behind a ridiculously huge amount of sticky, foamy lace all along the walls of the glass.

Smell: Smell is surprisingly light. I expected something more prominent from the huge amount of sticky lace in the glass. Some light toasty malts with a hint of syrup come through, along with a touch of hops. That's about it.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The different competing flavors seem to take control of each successive sip. At first, I mostly tasted the toasty, slightly sweet malts. As the beer warmed, the very bitter, grapefruit-rind and pine sap hops started to dominate. Even warmer, the vaporous presence of the alcohol takes control. It's even hard to taste the hops and malts beyond the alcohol once the beer has warmed some. The alcohol is very present in the aftertaste. Feel is moderately full, somewhat oily, and seriously sticky.

Drinkability: Moderate. The beer isn't particularly refreshing, and the stickiness and hot alcohol slow the drinking down.

kels, Jul 11, 2009

jsurfs82, Mar 17, 2012
Hoptimus Prime from Legacy Brewing Co.