Hey Day Hefeweizen - Granville Island Brewery

Granville Island Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Garin on 05-28-2003

This unfiltered wheat ale is a West Coast favourite. Enjoy Robson St. Hefeweizen chilled in a tall, slim glass and although our brewmaster may scoff, a lemon wedge is the perfect accessory to the natural fruit flavours of this refreshing beer.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Orange opaque body with no head.
Orange juice and yeast aroma.
The flavor is wheaty and obviously Heffe-y (yeasty). No banana, but found other bright fruit flavors which were nicely balanced by the malt. Its a tad tart, but in balance with everything else.
There was tad bit of roughness on the palate, but it was not out of bounds.

The label suggests a lemon wedge, that took a half a point off my drinkability score. It is fine just the way it is. (456 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%

Just came back from a one-week stay on Granville Island at a hotel with an in-house brewery just down the street from GIB.

After a disappointing first round of beers at "the other place," GIB's Hefe saved the day. Characteristically cloudy, with a hazy staw color, the lemon notes were the first to hit the palate, followed by the typical banana notes. Overall, has a nice flavor and bouquet all its own.

My first GIB hefe was actually on tap and savored immediately following a tour of the small brewery. Following that, I enjoyed a bottle in my hotel room on the day of my departure, and just had another from the sampler six-pack I brought back home.

Hefes are best served at 48 – 50°F. However, since it's sizzling hot in So Cal, I chilled my souvenir brew to just above frosty (low 40s), which can sometimes disturbs the delicate balance of the ingredients. However, the flavor and consistency of GIB's hefe held up quite nicely.

All in all a good hefe, especially for someone who may be new to the style.
PS – I enjoyed all three servings of this hefe without the lemon. (1,092 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The 2004 edition of Granville Island's Robson Street Hefeweizen, picked up in Vancouver. A hazy apricot hue in appearance with a quick sticky bubbley head that fades almost as soon as it appears. Wheat, yeast, and a powerful citrus note on the nose, candied banana hiding behind it. A sweet grainy wheat up front that melds right into a serious lemon citrus flavour, accompanied by banana and cloves, but the lemon citrus predominates throughout. No need for a lemon wedge with this hefe as the back label suggests (the the chagrin of the brewmaster). Not a very balanced hefe, but its strong point is the tartness of the wheat and citrus esters, very refreshing in that aspect, the spiciness of the yeast takes a back seat in this sample. Once again a wide-market driven offering from Granville Island, I can see this casting a wide net and drawing a few more converts to the world of craft beers and acting as a gateway for the hefe style. (941 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

GI's hefeweizen (2003) poured a hazy pale orange yellow colour. The head formed readily, and was creamy and thick. It reduced to a creamy thin layer, leaving a nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma was interesting. I found some vanilla, and a little banana. There was also a tangy yeast smell, mixed with the wheat.

The flavour was smooth and light, perhaps a little too smooth and too light. There was more vanilla than banana in the flavour -- last year's was more estery if I remember correctly. Wheat flavours were throughout, unsurprisingly. The yeast added a little bit of zing to it, but overall this wasn't as distinctly flavoured as I remember last year's to be (I imagine both more spicy phenol and more banana ester). As I know I heard people describe it as "that banana beer", I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally toned it down a touch.

In the mouth it felt creamy and lush, but finished light and refreshing. The carbonation was fairly light, but for me that just makes it a bit more easy-drinking.

Though I criticize, I have to say that GI's Hefeweizen is incredibly drinkable. I could drink these all day long. As far as refreshing, quaffable, cold summer beer goes, this beer has it. If you can find it, buy it. (1,247 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last