Merry Monks Dopplebock - Granville Island Brewery

Merry Monks  DopplebockMerry Monks  Dopplebock

Granville Island Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: canucklehead on 11-06-2004)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

I brought a 22 oz bottle back from our ski trip to BC last winter. It's been stored in my beer fridge until yesterday. It was certainly worth the wait.
Fairly dark with the tan head that dissipated a little too quickly .
Malty sweet, very pleasant aroma.
Sublime flavor malt sweetness with a bit of bitterness if you look for it.
Full body with that bit of alcohol warmth that I expect from a big beer.
One of the best doppels I've had that was brewed in North America. I'll certainly be looking for more when we head back to BC this winter.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Granville Island's noteable seasonal,and as many micros' big beers today, noteably good, thanks to Jason. Dark Amber, above-average carbonation. Malty and smooth drinker. Some alcohol warming in finish. Satisfying. Given past reviews, a good and improved batch.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

650ml bottle with no date information. Brought back directly from the brewery by a good friend.

Topped with a fizzy, beach sand colored head that quickly settles leaving no lacing. Minimal lazy bubbles rising to the surface. Amber in colored with a slight haze. The smell is rich with malt and subtle dark fruit. The taste is lush and rich with malt sweetness. There is a distinct fruitiness present, reminiscent of plum jam and overripe cherry preserves. There is a distinct and overt alcohol note that makes itself known in the finish which lends a warming quality. The flavors are well integrated overall with the fruit and alcohol lingering in the finish. The mouthfeel is slick and full bodied, slightly creamy, and the carbonation is small bubbles that fizzes along the tongue. This is a well crafted dopplebock, that was a pleasure to drink, with only a touch too much alcohol prominently displayed.

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

I thought this was more like a dubbel. Regardless, it's certainly closer to Salvator than Celebrator, but all-around, it's an 'average' beer (there's some tough competition within this style).

A: Ruby-brown, very clear. It pours with some head, but it quickly disappears.

S: Bready malt with a little fruit.

T: Fruit-bread, raisins, prunes. Slightly sweet and astringent. Warming alcohol throughout. After a month, the astringency was gone and it had become much smoother.

M: Moderate body and carbonation.

D: Very approachable & drinkable. The beer-geek will want a maltier body and flavour.

I wasn't very impressed. I've brewed a better dopplebock myself.

I had a bottle one month later, and it was considerably smoother, well-rounded, and simply better. I've tweeked the score to reflect that.

Even though it's not bottle conditioned, I recommend laying this down for a couple of months.

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

First review of the 2006 offering! No date info on the bottle, but I know Santa picked it up recently before leaving it in my stocking.

Pours a deep near-black claret with a tight beige froth head. Small lively bubbles dissipate leaving little lace.

Smells sweet and malty with a slight roasted nuttiness and dark dried fruits. These aromas carry through to the flavour. Rich dark fruits with a slight roasted edge, lightened with a bit of alchohol. Very nice. It comes together with a creamy mouthfeel and lively carbonation.

Very good...a fantastic winter sipper. Definitely one of the top seasonals in BC.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

An excellent doppelbock, the best I've had in a while. Pours a dark mahogany colour with a surprisingly dark brown head. Aroma is sweet raisins, dates, brown sugar, and a bit of that Coke twang. Flavour is slightly tart, with a noticeable alcohol presence. Mild chocolate makes its way in as it warms up a bit, along with more dark malts and ripe fruits. Very good.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Came back home for christmas and thought I'd pick up some Granville. Poured dark red out of a bomber, head goes away in a flash but was big and creamy looking. Smells like malt and alcohol to me. The taste is bizaare, it tastes pretty much like alcohol to me, very sharp and theres really nothing there to cover it. Pretty smooth though, however I am disappointed with this one. Not enough to it.

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

A: pours a dark brown with a frothy tan head that has good retention and leaves a nice sticky lace. Lots of rising carbonation bubbles

S: beautiful floral hops dominate with hints of dried fruits and spice

T: chocolaty-sweet malts with a nice floral hoppy bite and a smooth and spicy finish - the high ABV is hidden quite well

M: thicky, creamy and rich with an oh so smooth finish and pleasant carbonation bite.

D: Another great GI seasonal. The rich, well balanced, flavours make it a highly enjoyable winter beer. It is quite heavy, so I dont know if I would have more than one in a night. However, it would make an excellent night cap.

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Clear, dark amber with a thin, tan head. Malty aroma with some nice caramel and a hint of alcohol. There's a bit of fruitiness as well, quite interesting. The flavour is a mirror of the aroma, but with a light bitterness and lingering warmth. Full bodied and palate coating with carbonation on the low side. Smooth texture, right down the middle. Quite enjoyable. Thanks Derek!

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: this beer pours a coppery reddish colour. Clear and with a nice slightly beige head

Smell: Bready. A lot of malt which is to be expected from a dopplebock. There are also hints of dark fruit and a little bit of alcohol.

Taste: This beer is quite dynamic. It offers great flavours of dark fruits, and Christmasy flavours. The malt is definately the most pronounced flavour. It comes off as sweet both because of the maltiness and the high alcohol content(8.7%, as marked on my bottle). Absolutely delicious. Definitely a sipping beer.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to low carbonation. Alcohol provides a very slight warming as you swallow.

Drinkability: I could not handle more than one bomber of this a night. That is to be expected though with the high alcohol content. I find that it can drink like a smooth lager or pilsner, but is best enjoyed if you sip it over an hour or more. As it warms, the flavours and aromas become more pronounced making this a delightful beer.

I'm trying to stock up on this before it's gone for the season. Kudos to Granville Island for bringing this one back. I'm planning on trying one next Christmas season with the newer version to see how it ages. Their seasonals are really impressive and leave you wanting more.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

This is the new Xmas Ale and it is one of the 5 best BC beers ever. Dark brown with red hints and a nice light tan head. The nose is malty and full of promise. This beer is very balanced and quite complex ; not the overkill of some US Dopplebocks. A true triumph for BC brewingf as this is a first for this style.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

A nice brownish-copper colour with an off-white head. Smells spicy; the taste is almost as good but lacks the bite I was expecting.

Nice and smooth drinking, not too fizzy. Taste and easy to drink, but the flavour at times can be a bit disappointing.

Preferred to their Christmas Ale.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

A - very dark red, some suspended particles, but mostly clear, head recedes to a thin cap with some splotchy bubbles, but lacing already evident

S - rich, dense, malty, clean, light alcohol, bread crust, light fruitiness of the dark variety, pretty much a malt bomb, not necessarily authentic-German, but definitely smells like a well made north american version

T - big chewy malt sweetness up front, huge munich malt presence, very tasty, very clean, finish is somewhat abrupt, doesn't really linger, very low bitterness, somewhat one dimensional, though that flavour is very good

M - quite rich and heavy, med low carbonation, finish is not overly drying, more alcohol and better attenuation would likely help in this department, slow, smooth alcohol warmth eventually creeps up the back of my throat

D - this isn't a cloying, syrupy mess, and doppelbocks should be rich, but I find it is a little overdone

As I already said, this needs more alcohol and slightly less body and sweetness. It would bring out some bready/toasty/chocolate notes that would really push this beer into the upper echelon. That being said, the brewer has built a lovely malt base, it's just not much of a ride; you get sweet, tasty malt, and that's about it. Still highly enjoyable, sad to see it has been retired!

I believe this is a bottle from winter 08/09. Thanks Canucklehead!

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

I had to get my buddy in Vancouver to send me a couple bottles of this stuff. I really like Granville Island's offerings, and this one is no exception.

Poured with almost no head at all, and what did disappeared very quickly. Nice lace though... Lovely burgundy colouring, I love the way this looks. Smell is of plums and raisins....dried fruit, a very pleasant nose. The high alcohol content isn't really hidden in the taste, but also dosen't have to be, it rather compliments the dark, spicy, fruity flavours that go right to your nose. A bit zingy in the mouth, feels very nice, finishes very smooth. I could keep on drinking this, but I know it's a seasonal, and I can't get some flown in every time the mood strikes me. Also, 8% beers make it so I can have just that many less. A great beer, I know I'll get next year's winter seasonal sent out to me too.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%