Porter - Granville Island Brewery

pDev: n/a
Granville Island Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BDTyre on 02-01-2009)
3.08/5  rDev n/a

Appearance: Pours the darkest brown without turning black. Small tan-ish head

Smell: Very dark with raisin and fig aromas. Quite interesting...Not as roasty as I thought it would be. This has a very Baltic porter character.

Taste: A lot like the aroma but there is a tanginess that I'm not digging as much. I've experienced this flavour with Baltic/Imperial Porters but I wasn't expecting that from this version. There are nice raisin and plum notes, but not enough roastiness.

Mouthfeel: Thick! This is really heavy and over the top in the mouthfeel. Coats the cheeks and tongue with heavy, heavy flavours. Too much....

Drinkability: Low-medium. It's interesting at first because it's so different, but the lack of roastiness and the over-abundance of tang make it really difficult to drink more than a pint of.

Overall: I applaud the effort of a new style and I'm sure this beer can evolve over the years to come(as new batches are brewed, not aging this batch), much like their Killarney Stout. More roasty, burnt coffee, chocolate flavours would make this a great porter. Right now, though, not my favourite.

2.85/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Unfortunately I have to go with BD on this one - this has got to be one of the weakest tasting porters I have tasted. Right from the opening I was underwhelmed. Little smell, faint chocolate, roasting.... there should be more!

Pour looked good besides the slightly too light head... which rapidly diminished. Hardly any lacing.

Taste was bland. I was sharing it with a pal and we both immediately went for the re-sip after the first one, thinking we had missed something. There's just not much there. Light roasting, light malt...

I can think of a handful of far superior BC porters... so when this one leaves the shelves you don't have to feel too bad about missing it.

4.15/5  rDev n/a

I agree with BD , in that he should re-review this beer when well becuase I think it is one of the best porters in BC. The burnt roasted malt taste is prominent but never over burnt or inbalanced. What I liked about this beer was the dryish finish coupled with lots of flavour in the midbody. Well made, very drinkable and dead on for the style.

2.83/5  rDev n/a

Maybe it's because I'm sick and so I will re-review this beer when I'm feeling better.

Good ruby-mahogany appearance with a nice khaki head. Very weak smell of roasted malts, caramel and coffee with a slight bitterness.

Very weak taste that is a bland mix of roasted malts and coffee. There's not dominant flavour, nothing that stands out and that is the problem with this beer. The smell and flavour are just very weak and take a lot of quaffing and tasting to pick-up.

Decent carbonation, but overall not a great beer because the flavour is just too weak.

Porter from Granville Island Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.