Imperial Chocolate Stout - Granville Island Brewery

Imperial Chocolate StoutImperial Chocolate Stout

Granville Island Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.40% ABV

Our Imperial Chocolate Stout is rich and warming, a perfect complement to cold winter nights. Deep black in colour, it’s brewed with four malt varieties, hops from the Pacific Northwest and organic, fair-trade chocolate from Rogers’ Chocolates.

(Beer added by: Derek on 12-13-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

pudoo, Dec 08, 2011

EskimoDave, Nov 21, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -24.7%

Bottled during the winter of 2010 as a Limited Release. Had this cellaring for 2 1/2 months now.

A- A deep, heavy dark brown that has a cloudy red hue on the edges. Head fell off pretty fast but left some small lacing.

S- Crazy sweet with dark chocolate. Slightly picking up roasted malts and molasses.

T- Something went south here. Bitter, I don't know where this came from, and sour. The taste of chocolate has lost all character and transformed into an unpleasant and unexpected taste.

M- Dry, tart, pungent. I feel like I need to chase with another beer to get the taste out of my mouth.

D- This might get drained. I'll do my best but this should not have been aged. Sorry Granville Island.

Please note; I had this beer when it was first released as did some other people I know (I has not a BA member at the time to review). There were no complaints and was generally well liked. I believe this one just went bad over the last couple months.

spree92, Feb 20, 2011

I have a couple of these since Xmas and I do agree that the beer needs some aging ( much like the Jolly Abbott which is drinking great a year later). The chocolate is very apparent and the beer is quite dry on the finish. It is needs to mellow and blend a bit with age as the drinkability suffers a bit now. Still the beer is very well made and has quite a bit of complexity.

This is a new version of this beer for 2012 which no longer uses Rogers Chocolates and seems to have pushed the cocoa flavours to the background. I much prefer the new version as it is more complex , incredibly drinkable right now and longer on the finish.

canucklehead, Jan 27, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

My brother bought me a bottle of this for Christmas, and I enjoyed it that afternoon!

A - Pours a nice dark brown with a ruby red hue, finger of mocha head with decent retention, dissipates to small islands and leaves some sporadic sticky lacing.

S - Sweet milk chocolate, vanilla and some leafy green hops.

T - Sweet milk chocolate off the top which lingers on the finish as well, like I just finished a chocolate bar. Nice vanilla flavours coming through as well, complemented by some roasted coffee flavours and a touch of ABV sweetness, but nicely hidden.

M - Nice body carbonation fills the tongue and goes down smooth, finishing with a touch of dryness.

D - This stuff is by far the best offering I've had from Granville. Wish they would put out more like this one, as it offers those true craft brew flavours which are sometimes lost on their flagship offerings.

andrenaline, Dec 28, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Brewed with Rogers' Chocolate (125th anniversary).

A: Black with a light tan head, slight retention, good lace.

S: Chocolate covered cherries. I picked up on the sourness in the aroma immediately. Light coffee, brown sugar and roasted nut.

T: A lot more coffee flavour than I had anticipated, really dry & roasty. Great fruitiness (dates, maraschino cherries, candied pineapple), treacle, molasses, woody spicing (Willamette?). Solid bitterness, alcohol is subtle.

M: Really attenuated and dry... even too much for me!
(I wonder if it's stronger this year because the yeast really chowed down)?

D: It's good, but not at all what I expected.

Call it a mocha stout?

I'll lay one down and see how it mellows.

Personally, I would've used more chocolate malt, cut back on the roasted barley and had some more residual sweetness. Maybe next year?

It's great that Sapporo is continuing the limited releases from the original pub.

Derek, Dec 13, 2010