English Bay Pale Ale - Granville Island Brewery

Granville Island Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: 49degrees on 12-27-2002

Our English Bay Pale Ale has a smooth, mild flavour brimming with West Coast character and a caramel malt aroma. A true pale ale, it gets its perfect balance from natural carbonation and careful maturing under the watchful eye of our brewmaster.
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.75/5  rDev +21%

I bought it at a regional LCBO in Welland, ON, Canada.
And I am not a professional or amatuer beer drinker or something. Just beer lover.^^;
I think it is like a sweet version of Pale Ale. I've drunk several Pale Ales like Ontario craft ones. They are more bitter than this. This ale is like more drinkable to beginners like me. haha.
However, I've found the bitter pale ale more likely has more flavour or something.
That means it has little bit weak smell. Well, nice beer to me. (484 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +22.6%

Served on tap in a GP pint glass has a nice copper color with two fingers of head.

Smooth Light tasting with good flavor with a hint of Carmel during the smell test.

Carmel malts and hops on my first taste with a roasted after taste.

Tasted perfect along side my burger and overall a very nice drinking experience. (317 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

English Bay. If you are in Vancouver this is one of the best view you can get of the sunset. I have the chance to drink here in Montreal.
The look of it is really curious. It looks like a Red Amber. You have that brown/red color. Nice carbonation. Maybe have half of a finger of head that goes aways but the rest stays inside your glass.
The smell of it, is kind of disappointing. You barely smell something. I really can't tell right now what I smell. it's really difficult to smell any flavour.
Now about the taste. Really powerful. Lot's of flavour. Totally different from the smell.
Very watery. Surprised me that it is a 5% ABV. Remind of the Richard's Red Amber. You have that touch of chocolate. Roasted grain. Really nice but too watery. I wish it could have been a 6% or 7% ABV. You will have that kick. The flavour is there but you don t have that kick you will enjoy just right after. Nice refreshing beer overall
So overall would I recommend it ? For sure. There is nothing wrong with this beer. Just too watery for my criticism. But really refreshing. Get you hands on this beer. Definitely worth it ! (1,116 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +23.5%

Thanks to woodychandler for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of caramel, maybe a hint of toffee. Taste is good, caramel and hops, very flavorful. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall this is a fine quality brew. (292 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance — Pours very syrupy; appears fairly carbonated; thin ring of head retention; medium lacing; very nice colour: somewhere between pumpkin and leather.

Smell — Toasty, almost woodsy; can’t decide if this smells smoky or just very very toasty and woodsy.

Taste — Overwhelming blast of pretty much what was in the nose, with some additional malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel — Very, very smooth, almost creamy, consistency on the tongue is very pleasant; don’t really feel the carbonation or the alcohol.

Overall — Not sure what an ‘English Bay pale ale’ is supposed to be, but this is a nice, very toasty, slightly sweet pale ale. (652 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last