English Bay Pale Ale - Granville Island Brewery

English Bay Pale AleEnglish Bay Pale Ale

Granville Island Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

Our English Bay Pale Ale has a smooth, mild flavour brimming with West Coast character and a caramel malt aroma. A true pale ale, it gets its perfect balance from natural carbonation and careful maturing under the watchful eye of our brewmaster.

(Beer added by: 49degrees on 12-27-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a bottle with pretty Vancouver artwork. Poured a slighty cloudy orangesque coloured haze with a fluffy white top. Smells of malt, dryness.

A definite caramel flavour here - not usual for a pale ale, and an enjoyable surprise. This drink dries out at the finish and a touch of bitter, but an overall malt feel that's a bit much for a pale. Not too bad overall though.

3.31/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

appearance: pours somewhat foamy, and a deeper orange than i expected for the style,
being an ale i expected some color but this was a little deeper than i figured for.

smell: had a smooth malty smell. big notes of toasted grain. not overpowering. nice nose.

taste: crisp, and not hoppy really at all, almost zero dryness factor, an ale by definition
i was impressed by this beer. goes down nicely , reminded me of labatt blue but with double the malt and less corn. tasted like an ale should taste, but didnt linger around
which makes drinking more of it easy. the food pairings for this (as stated on the box) are grilled meat (which is pretty vague). but it mentions a carmel flavour, which i failed to find as anything worth mention. that charectaristic would be subtle, at best.

mouthfeel:
not sharp at all, still somewhat carbbed, compared to a more classic ale style.
but sort of slick and smooth , with a small zip of the malt and the grain mixing.

overall:
i didnt know what to expect, and having bought a 6pack, i was hoping it was decent.
this doesnt exactly seem to be a PALE ale as they state ..it seems more to me like a slightly creamy amber..but without the typical hops of most ambers.
and heavy on the malts and grains. i was initially impressed by this beer, but the more i drank of it the more it became just a slightly above average craft beer .
I dont have anything really bad to say, because it is good. but it leaves a little bit to the imagination, but that can make for an awesome session brew.
if ale is your thing, and you like it west coast local. give it a shot.
not something id buy frequently, but i can see a specific type of beer fan loving it.

2.84/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Served out of a bottle at Niagara Food Fest. As mentioned by other users, an unremarkable Pale Ale. Too sweet and nothing that would generally bring me back. HOWEVER...this is one of the very few beers that you can find in Ontario bars and restaurants that's not a Molson or Labatt product. I'm continually frustrated by Ontario establishments who don't see the value in offering quality crafts. So whenever I see this beer, I buy it for myself and for anyone around me. I guess it's my attempt at spreading the craft word and trying to open Ontarians minds a bit. It's a long haul, but maybe eventually we'll see more selection. So don't over think this brew when you see it as the only "craft" available in an Ontario establishment. See it as a marginal step in the right direction.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.28/5  rDev +4.1%

This used to be one of my go to beers before getting more heavily in to the craft scene. I had one for the first time in awhile last night that a buddy left at my house and remembered why i used to get it so often.

There's nothing really bad about this beer just relatively uninteresting, lightly hopped and decent dark malt make it easy to drink and inoffensive. More along the lines of an english pale i suppose than the APAs I've gotten used too but I can see where for someone going from BMC to this it would be a real notch up in the flavour and hop department.

I used to and can see myself again drinking this a fair amount, also it is pretty much everywhere in Vancouver so it's a virtual guarantee to be on tap next time I go to the bar to watch a Canucks game.

Not what I was expecting at all little to no bitterness from what I can tell. Looks pretty but I was a little let down with this guy. I was all pumped for this big hoppy beer from the west coast and was a little let down. Maybe its one of those things where you get really excited and it just doesn't live up to the expectation you've built up in your head.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

2.88/5  rDev -8.6%

3.23/5  rDev +2.5%

Pale amber colour with a little bit of head but very little lacing. Smell is average and taste is good. Nothing really sticks out just a good pale ale. Mouthfeel is thin and after taste is smooth. Decent beer but not great as it could use a little more flavour.

4.75/5  rDev +50.8%

4.56/5  rDev +44.8%

3.83/5  rDev +21.6%

Served on tap in a GP pint glass has a nice copper color with two fingers of head.

Smooth Light tasting with good flavor with a hint of Carmel during the smell test.

Carmel malts and hops on my first taste with a roasted after taste.

Tasted perfect along side my burger and overall a very nice drinking experience.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

2.69/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - English Bay is deep copper in color with sort of ruddy highlights. Head is packes and cream colored with decent retention.

S - Aroma is malty up front with deep notes of brown sugar. Center has some barely discernable notes of fruit esters. There's just a tiny bit of fruit and leather. Sweet center fades into a finish that just drops into nowhere.

T - English Bay starts off sweetly malty, tasting more like brown sugar than caramel malts. The center gives more of the same brown sugar with hints of molasses. These flavors lead into a finish with barely any hop presence.

O - Overall English bay is straightforward in a way that goes beyond just being liniear. It's basic and doesn't really have a lot to offer.

2.08/5  rDev -34%

Thanks to woodychandler for the tasting.

Poured a semi-dark amber color, with little head. Smelled a wee bit malty, but with another aroma that I just couldn't place. Several days later, I can still smell it, but still cannot describe it. Thin in the mouth, with a taste matching the unknown aroma. Seemed watery, with little flavor other than the mystery one. I wish I had more to say about this beer, but the fact is, I can't describe it, and I really didn't like it.

3.75/5  rDev +19%

I bought it at a regional LCBO in Welland, ON, Canada.
And I am not a professional or amatuer beer drinker or something. Just beer lover.^^;
I think it is like a sweet version of Pale Ale. I've drunk several Pale Ales like Ontario craft ones. They are more bitter than this. This ale is like more drinkable to beginners like me. haha.
However, I've found the bitter pale ale more likely has more flavour or something.
That means it has little bit weak smell. Well, nice beer to me.

3.6/5  rDev +14.3%

Pour was great with it's copper look and nice head, but little lacing..

I've drank alot of Granville island beers and they use a certain malt or hop that give a sweet smell and taste... There are caramel or toffee flavors?? ... It's really present in there winter ale... Love the sweetness.

Taste is one of a kind, therefore it's gets above aveage rating here... Sweet malts that I can't taste anywhere else outside of granville.. With little to no hop flavor for a pale ale... I can't help but sometimes just crave the sweetness this beer has to offer.

To much carbonation for a sweet beer..

Easy to drink when reading beer reviews, a book, playing xbox, ect... There is no need to sit down and search for complexitys.. Great easy to drink beer

1.1/5  rDev -65.1%

Got this on tap at a local bar. The aroma has very over powering caramel smell. I could not detect any malt or hops through the caramel. The taste has the same overpowering taste of caramel. Aftertaste lingered forever and I found it very unpleasant. This is not a Pale Ale. After a couple a sips, I could not drink anymore. One of the worst beers I have every tried.

« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »