2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%) - City Brewing Company, LLC

Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)Earthquake High Gravity Lager (12%)

awful

City Brewing Company, LLC visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 07-12-2009)
View: Beers (35) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 63 | Reviews: 50 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by whatthehull:
whatthehull

2.6/5  rDev +64.6%

Pint Glass

A - Merky golden sunset, no head and no lacing

S - Tons of malts, funky yeast, sugar, very slight, barley and tons of alcohol

T - slight hop, tons of bitter, sugar, alcohol, grains, rice, yeast and huge amounts of malts

M - Full bodied, no complexity, not very balanced, medium minus acidity and very long sweet/malty/boozy finish

D/O - I enjoy this a lot. Easy to drink, nice abv and a low, low price. Not a crafty beer or something I would drink a couple cans of, just a good getting tipsy beer

Final thoughts - $1.50 and 12% abv? Haha. This one is ok by me. Watch out for the hang over!

05-20-2012 04:49:35 | More by whatthehull
Xzfgiimtsath

1.25/5  rDev -20.9%

04-10-2014 19:42:26 | More by Xzfgiimtsath
eodiv

2.75/5  rDev +74.1%

Here in Ohio we get the 10% variety so I'm not sure how much that makes a difference.

Anyway.

You should know what you're getting into when you pop an Earthquake. This isn't a beer to be enjoyed, this is a beer to make you want to fist fight telephone poles and it does it's job.

It's much sweeter than its malt lager brethren which makes it a bit easier to stomach but it's still pretty harsh. Drink one on a dare or if you are on a super low budget looking to catch a buzz.

03-30-2014 21:42:40 | More by eodiv

Alabama

07-11-2013 15:49:05 | More by harpus
DannyDan

1.88/5  rDev +19%

Pours out an amber hue with a thin white head that leaves no lacing or retention. The smell is of alcohol, rotting apples, rotting corn and mildew. The taste is lots of alcohol, spoiled corn and sweet malts that leave a bad aftertaste in the mouth. The mouthfeel is burning alcohol and an unpleasant feel on the tongue. This $1.30 for a 24 oz. can was one of the worse beers I ever tasted and will never buy it again.

01-21-2013 08:28:56 | More by DannyDan
foxyaardvark27

Washington

10-19-2012 06:43:37 | More by foxyaardvark27
lokieman

Oklahoma

1.03/5  rDev -34.8%

Positively the worst beer I've ever had in my life. I've had some other rough ones but this one take the cake. I would rate cave creek chili beer miles ahead of this one. Everything about this beer is absolutely horrible. Smell, taste, mouthfeel...all just plain disgusting. Makes me wonder what took so long for this one to be retired. Found this one in the crap beer ice bin at my local ghetto corner store. Never...I repeat...never again. Ice cold it's shotgunable...any warmer, good luck. You have been warned. Just writing about this beer brings back the nightmarish aftertaste...there is really no reason for this foul beverage to exist...it's that bad.

09-22-2012 05:20:03 | More by lokieman
t0rin0

09-15-2012 22:33:25 | More by t0rin0
Kingghidorah

Connecticut

06-17-2012 11:09:50 | More by Kingghidorah
TooManyShots

2.23/5  rDev +41.1%

Basically its there to get you drunk in the cheapest way. It is, okay. Strong, very strong. The alcohol hits you immediately. The taste is comparable to whiskey. Not entirely, so I don't want the beersnobs attacking me. I enjoyed it, just not what I was expecting from a malt liquor. Yeah, you might taste something here but the dominant taste is definitely alcohol. You will get drunk, fairly quick, esoecially if you're a light-weight.
All in all this is for getting drunk fast. They obviously don't care about the taste. but I can accept that in this case. It gets the job done.
Wanna get drunk fast. This beers for you. Want something with an appealing taste? Steer clear.

By The Way:

This beer is no longer 12% they have lowered it to 8% and it IS still brewed. Just not as strong. Bummer for those cheap buzzes.

05-27-2012 15:32:23 | More by TooManyShots

12-25-2011 20:43:38 | More by BRAWNDO
bobstad

Washington

1.8/5  rDev +13.9%

Well, I'm here to ponder my joking mention to a turbaned, bearded fellow working at this apartment ghetto's adjacent Seven-Eleven; while purchasing a 12% Earthquake I was just getting to learn to like after enduring several of those: Saying to him; that if I went blind, that would be his fault.

The very next time I was in for another can; these are now Earthquake 8.1% there in otherwise identical 24oz cans.

I'd just decided the best way to deal with the 12% was by chilling that cold enough to be easily poured half into an used 12oz screw top bottle, for later. With a longer lasting larger head, this is essential with the 8.1%.

I'd don't really find heartening too much, the at first taste seeming flavor improvement of the 8.1% version; considering the price remains the same as when 12%.

I'd just started adapting myself to the 12%, I'd thought hitting the market after the devastating Japanese earthquake with all the still daunting implications from the nuclear disaster the quake engendered; an incredibly thoughtful product, marketing ploy and timely commentary on the species' ability to continually be figuratively speaking, shooting itself in the foot. After a stressful five millennia or so's devotion to the mastery of fire and salt: Metallurgy and chemistry in other words.

As far as taste, I can only call the original 12% "brilliant."

If you read William Henry Hudson's book Green Mansions; that suggests one way to create what seems like great beer. Women chewing grain to for the emulsification of that, whose saliva also ensures the alcoholic fermentation. "Hey, honey?"

Cheers; and bottoms up.

post script: I notice my review gives this great beer a D minor rating; which as D-F-A works out to a 1.666 GPA according to my $3 Radio Shack calculator.

GPAs can be deceptive, as one particularly cynical high school friend they graduated just to get rid of had a 0.9 GPA who also scored highest of anyone in school on the National Merit Scholarship test of our whole class of '69; who later mentioned flunking the army intelligence test was one of the most difficult things he'd ever accomplished up until then.

I think Earthquake High Gravity Lager is the greatest beer commercially produced on the planet; without doubt.

Anyone drinking anything else is so far beyond whimphood in the wrong direction there isn't even the possibility of such a word being invented for that.

If this were the only beer commercially available in the world, the whole earth would be doubtless revolutionized in a positive way. Far more than simply keeping me from wasting time, writing here.

12-14-2011 23:45:44 | More by bobstad
MaltRoomAssoc

12-11-2011 15:11:46 | More by MaltRoomAssoc
BrewMaven

2.58/5  rDev +63.3%

What to drink when the wife is decorating for Christmas? Answer: anything that increases tolerance and numbs the senses! Why not a new to me 12% potential drain poor in a can!

Pours a pleasant looking clear gold with a initially big white hat. Lots of carbonation although the head dropped to a cover in under a minute. leaves a sheet of receding lace throughout the session.

Smells of sweet green apples...and....

Taste is of the same green apples, sweet grainy adjuncts and a bit of alcohol on the finish...mouthfeel is a bit north of thin with still rampant carbonation.

Basically a more drinkable version of this genre compared to Stack.Not worth the 2.95 the local bev joint charged me though.

12-08-2011 00:19:51 | More by BrewMaven
StoutHunter

11-28-2011 01:20:42 | More by StoutHunter
emerge077

1.05/5  rDev -33.5%

Nothing says happy thanksgiving like shitty malt liquor!

Poured into a mug, it's a dark urine gold orange. Rapid club soda carbonation, bubbles clinging to the sides, despite a thorough glass rinsing. Audibly crackling fizz, thin layer of white foam that leaves behind a feeble scab of skim floating on the surface. Looks like carbonated apple juice.

Reeks of fusel alcohol, grape/apple juice, and envelope glue. Sickly sweet, sharp, and stomach-turning. Pure malaise in a can.

Sweet, green apple jolly rancher flavor, solvent fumes, blatant alcohol, astringent as hell. The tongue numbs on impact. Alcoholic, carbonated grape juice. Harsh finish that lingers, bitter apple seeds, slick with an alcohol burn that's just pure nasty. This is only a feasible drink when partially frozen, and only when down on your luck, out on the curb. Truly the bottom of the barrel. This is probably among the worst, if not the worst beer i've ever drank.

11-25-2011 04:17:53 | More by emerge077
Amalak

11-23-2011 03:07:21 | More by Amalak
twiggamortis420

1.05/5  rDev -33.5%

24 oz can pours a dark, desert-tortoise urine gold color with a small, creamy head. Looks evil, thickly viscous and rough.

Nose is absolutely stomach-curdling. Oh my god, the acetone and green apples on this are just rampant and disgusting. This might be the worst smelling beer I have ever had.

The first sip of this made me wretch a little in the mouth, something that has never, NEVER happened to me before. Wow, it is absolutely wretched. This is the most disgusting, foul-tasting brew I have ever had in my 20+ years of beer drinking. This rivals Bud Chelada for worst ever, and I actually think this might surpass it. I cant even stomach 3 sips of this. Holy shit, brewing this must be a complete joke. I knew it would be bad, horrible even...but this takes F-O-U-L to a whole new level!

11-04-2011 22:49:18 | More by twiggamortis420
ronniebruner

Arizona

I must admit I bought this beer at a gas station as a novelty and a joke. I knew exactly what I was getting into and boy was I right. To say this tastes like battery acid would be a compliment. This beer has an unnatural golden hue, a horrendous aroma that I can not quite explain, the most carbonation I have ever seen in a beer, and honestly I couldn't drink more than 2 ounces of the 24 ounce can. Stay away. This is terrible, unless you want to play a prank on a friend or fellow beer enthusiast. I hope this post does not get deleted, it is not meant as a slam. This is just really that bad. It has an F rating for a reason.

10-09-2011 01:21:38 | More by ronniebruner
ZenAgnostic

1.1/5  rDev -30.4%

12oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass. No apparent date, just cryptic numbers on the bottom of the can.

Appearance - Clear copper body. Off-white head in the glass, but when it foamed up upon opening the can it was a light brown color.

Smell - Vinegar. Soy sauce. Alochol. Dark fruit. Not appealing at all.

Taste - Alcohol. Corn. Earth. Musk.

Mouthfeel - Very astringent finish. I can do nothing to prevent making a face.

Overall Drinkability - Probably the worst beer I've had in a long time. This is totally a sink pour.

08-28-2011 19:24:40 | More by ZenAgnostic
depechemode1983

1.75/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Dark clear golden in color. Head is white with very little retention. Looks highly carbonated. Pretty average for this style. Smells very sweet. Maybe some Over ripened apples and grapes with trace amounts of grains and an alcohol undertone. Very sweet taste. Taste artificially sweetened. Fruit and alcohol. Leaves a nasty chemical aftertaste. Kinda like jungle juice. Pretty bad. Mouth feel is thick and syrupy. Gross.

O - This is a drain pour. This beer is horrible. Stay away from this one